Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124645 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Surprised to see Shooting Star from you Tim - good song though  :tup .

Why? They are a cool fogey band. I had their first three albums when I was a kid, and I specifically wore out Hang On For Your Life.
Still never figured out if they were a pedestrian band that got lucky with some great tunes, or a great band that sucked half the time..

I had an awesome long song (between 10-15) for this round, but long songs haven't seemed to do that well here. I ended up sending the song that I should've sent in the round 3.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Damnation Angels song was 9+ minutes and both Redemption and Suspyre were well past seven minutes, so it's not exactly the length problem, really.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, so I should've said MY long songs! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Why? They are a cool fogey band.

Well I suppose later on they became more an AOR band - not a band too many metalheads would be talking about and the sort of band you might find in that DTF thread you love so much  :lol   The earlier stuff (like you sent) rocked a bit more though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
My only great score was the only time where I went with an 8+ minute song, been sending a lot of short songs. This round, I went with a fairly short one again. the only long song I'm confident in is like 19 minutes so that would give me a 4 point penalty  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Why? They are a cool fogey band.

Well I suppose later on they became more an AOR band - not a band too many metalheads would be talking about and the sort of band you might find in that DTF thread you love so much  :lol   The earlier stuff (like you sent) rocked a bit more though.

Seemed the term AOR changed in connotation over the years. Album Oriented Rock was exactly what a band like Shooting Star was. Seemed AOR somehow became Wimp Rock. Should've been renamed WOR!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Might have to wait 24 hours to send a song.  Haven't really had a chance to look for something and it's already 10:15.  :-\
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Might have to wait 24 hours to send a song.  Haven't really had a chance to look for something and it's already 10:15.  :-\

Let's get keen on it, bro!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Um, who's leading at the moment?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Um, who's leading at the moment?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You asked for it.   :lol

I actually hate shit talking to be honest.  It may come back to bite me in the ass haha.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
so it's not exactly the length problem, really.

:eyebrows:

You'd rather he rub it "out"?

:zydarscouch:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Actually, I'd rather he not rub anything at all! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

I actually hate shit talking to be honest.  It may come back to bite me in the ass haha.

I used to think like that but now I kind of don't mind it. If you do some trash talk and then it turns out you suck in the next few rounds you can just laugh at yourself and it's all fine. It's kind of fun.

Anyway, I've got nine songs already. I need Kade, Mason and Casper to send their entries, and it would be awesome if I can get them in the next 24 hours so I can start listening at the weekend. :tup Given that I've received some lengthy songs in this round, the faster I can start listening, the better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You will receive mine in approx 14 hours mate.

Actually, I'd rather he not rub anything at all! :lol

Don't make me bring that pic out again Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Like you need a reason?  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Like you need a reason?  :lol

Yeah, who I am kidding.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, just sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, just rejected. ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
 :lol

Offline ErHaO

Awesome! Nice you liked the songs I send to you the last two rounds  ;D I think Suspyre has many fresh sounding songs and those sax-sections are there in some other songs as well, but it is definitely not their "gimmick". They have plenty of material with interesting combinations. Not all of them work to the same extent (depending on taste, offcourse), but I really like that slight weirdness their songs often tend to have. Their vocalist is quite strong as well and has some similarities to the likes of Russel Allen, I think. The album When Time Fades is great in particular. Their self-titled is a great piece of work as well, but was a bit harder to digest for me at first. As for Lyriel, I really like a good bunch of their songs, but I am not overly familiar with listening to their albums as a whole. I'd check out Paranoid Circus and then Leverage, probably. Either way, I think they are a fun band with lovely vocals.

Also, why didn't I ever think of Damnation Angels  :facepalm: (Not that it would've mattered anyways, as I would've been cockblocked).

Anyways, I have a selection of three songs now, need to give them another spin first. So I will send mine soon, in a few hours or tomorrow early in the morning ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, alright give me 10 minutes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Take 2.

Offline ErHaO

Sent!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Got it, thank you!

That leaves only Mason. I think we shouldn't hurry him up lest he sends another Sleepytime Gorilla Museum-like song. I will start listening today anyway, because some songs for this round are pretty long and it's possible I'll need a bit more time than usual to digest them.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm one listen in and we might have another 10/10 here. It's too early to judge now, but I loved one of the songs so much.

And overall, this seems like a magnificent round. Might be the strongest yet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You keep saying that! :lol

That's great. Glad you're liking the tracks.  That's what it's all about. Some great tastes in music participating in this roulette.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I'm one listen in and we might have another 10/10 here. It's too early to judge now, but I loved one of the songs so much.

pleasebeminepleasebeminepleasebemine

It seriously could be though, the song is a beast, and to the right ear it's fucking irresistably intense.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Good to see that, even though it's highly unlikely mine. You're getting a lot of good stuff this roulette it seems  :metal should keep you busy for the next ten years until you do the third one.

I'm curious how many people have sent 10-15 min songs, mine's like 5 minutes.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to see that, even though it's highly unlikely mine. You're getting a lot of good stuff this roulette it seems  :metal should keep you busy for the next ten years until you do the third one.

Indeed. I'm very happy with the list of participants I've got for this one, and the amount of great songs is significantly increased compared to my first roulette. I will probably end up checking out ~10 bands from each round or something like that. It's hard to believe how many great bands are out there that I've been missing all these years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Big call after one listen.

Offline ErHaO

Big call after one listen.

Yeah, curious about all the entries now  ;D

Haven't given the last round a spin yet, but there have been quite some artists I am interested in or have (unrightfully) forgotten about thus far. To my surprise, the overlap with my list of potential artists to send has been quite limited actually.

Mine's short as well (but not in the slightest less epic than the more lengthy songs I first considered :metal)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:21:36 AM by ErHaO »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

So is mine. I had a 10-15 all picked out but it didn't seem to jive with what was going on.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mine was 12 mins+
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au