Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124995 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Something with an Angle... or Angie.
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Angle of Repose

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'll be eagerly awaiting for Ev's reaction to that song  :corn

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I didn't think you'd remember that, since it didn't go over too well with you.

Spreadsheets baby... spreadsheets.  :lol And you got a 'push' on your wager with that song - nothing bad; nothing great.

Something with an Angle... or Angie.
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Angle of Repose

2 down; 10 to go.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Mine's the 8th one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's see if this makes it easier. I'm still impressed you managed to guess two songs already.

ToN, the second song is totally called Meth First.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Bon Iver - Beth/Rest
Shooting Star - Last Chance
Telergy- Astronomer?
The Antlers - Palace

ToN, the second song is totally called Meth First.
:lol

Good thing I have spotify to help me out. I honestly still thought it said Meth

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:13:48 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I can make out a few words on the remaining ones, but not enough to figure them out.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Just got a question in PM about Round 6 theme, I'll post the answer here just so you all can plan your entries accordingly.

The female vocalist in your song for female-fronted round has to be really prominent in the song. 50/50 male/female vocals won't do it for this round. Those were alright in my first roulette in "Two or more vocalists" round, but now I want some real female-fronted songs. Songs like piano version of Hymns for the Broken or like the one I've sent in the most recent round of Championship roulette won't qualify for this round.

However, something like Kamelot - Center of the Universe - if you swap male and female vocal sections - qualifies. I don't mind having some male vocals on the song for this round, but it has to be either a small enough part or the backing vocals. Most of the vocals should be female.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The bottom one is "Shadow Circus - ...Then In July, The Thunder Came"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tyrias

Just got a question in PM about Round 6 theme, I'll post the answer here just so you all can plan your entries accordingly.

The female vocalist in your song for female-fronted round has to be really prominent in the song. 50/50 male/female vocals won't do it for this round. Those were alright in my first roulette in "Two or more vocalists" round, but now I want some real female-fronted songs. Songs like piano version of Hymns for the Broken or like the one I've sent in the most recent round of Championship roulette won't qualify for this round.

However, something like Kamelot - Center of the Universe - if you swap male and female vocal sections - qualifies. I don't mind having some male vocals on the song for this round, but it has to be either a small enough part or the backing vocals. Most of the vocals should be female.

This regulation is your roulette might have been the thing that confused you about my round in the Championship Roulette ;).

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The bottom one is "Shadow Circus - ...Then In July, The Thunder Came"

Mine's the 8th one.

The Tea Party?

Psychopomp. Cool tune.

I think only four songs left unguessed after these posts? I'll post the tidbits tomorrow with the clear picture revealing all the songs, so make your guesses while you still can. ;)

Aiming for Wednesday with the results. Now, I mean, it can be Tuesday, but don't count on it. Wednesday is a safe bet.

Edit:

I'll be eagerly awaiting for Ev's reaction to that song  :corn

I'm always forgetting to say that, but I really like this nickname. I know I should thank mike for this one, but still. :tup
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:04:07 PM by Evermind »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Not entirely sure which ones haven't been guessed but I think it's these:

And then mine (#1) of which only the song title has been guessed, it's not very hard at this point though so I'll leave it open. And

#5: Yanni - The Rain Must Fall (live)
#7: A Moment of ...
#11 Lyriel - Paranoid Circus
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

And then mine (#1) of which only the song title has been guessed, it's not very hard at this point though so I'll leave it open. And

Apocalyptica?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got no idea how you guys are doing it. Are you Googling / Spotifying it or do you just know all these artists or what?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Spotify  :lol no way in hell I know these. Bon Iver, Circle of Illusion are the only ones I'm familiar with and only because I got them in my roulette. Also heard of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum but never heard their music.

Apocalyptica?
Yes

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Only Mason (and perhaps RJ?) were going to get mine.  I thought the Apocalyptica might have been Andromeda - but alas, no song "Path" by them.  I'm not googling, I'm going by what I recognize.  Tea Party is a nice rocking Canadian 3-piece. Well known around these parts.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
My tune has made it through unscathed  :)

Lyriel was a band I considered for this roulette at one point.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Sent my round 5 since I'm heading on vacation, and I'm thinking about sending six as well considering how great a pace you're running here. I got a song picked out, want me to just fire it off to ya bro?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Mine's the 8th one.

The Tea Party?

Psychopomp. Cool tune.

You guys got it.  I love it.  Even if it doesn't get a good score for some reason, I'm proud of it and glad I sent it, it's an amazing song IMO.

Ruslan, silly question, but does the order of the lists represent anything.  Order they were submitted, rankings?  Haven't taken notice in previous rounds but just popped in my head.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I submitted last, but I'm not at the bottom, so it's not order.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
RJ, yeah, you can send Round 6 song if you want to.

The order is random, don't read into it too much.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm off to the airport momentarily for a work trip, but will be back Wednesday night.  Timing/pacing is just right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The order is random, don't read into it too much.

Cool, thanks.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. I'll give you something more (Tidbits)
« Reply #900 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »
I mean, there are some things in this roulette that aren't random, so it was a good idea to ask.

Anyway, time for the tidbits!

And this song segues into one other song from this round perfectly, it’s like they’re placed in this exact order on one album or something. I haven’t even noticed the transition the first time around. Unfortunately, both are probably going to get somewhat average (but still decent, just ask Tim or Chad!) score in this round.

Partly, this song might be the most beautiful thing I’ve received in this roulette yet, and partly it’s also one of the grooviest and rocking ones. I wish it was more on the beautiful side than on the rocking one, but this is still a mighty fine song.

Well, you know, this song is definitely on the better side of the spectrum for this genre based on what I’ve heard – not that I’ve heard much. I might even go as far as to say it’s awesome.

Well, sorry, but this song is definitely on the worst side of the spectrum for this genre based on what I’ve heard – not that I’ve heard much. I might even go as far as to say this is a disaster. I tried to keep an open mind for this round, but this just isn’t for me.

Chill, simple, soothing and captivating, this is without question your best song in this roulette so far. I bet the whiskey and cat approach will make it even better, I’ll try it in the coming days.

I was somewhat apprehensive regarding the amount of instrumentals I received in this round – I don’t mind an occasional instrumental song or two – and I’ve got four in this round! Still, this one was splendid, kept me interested for the whole length and that’s one quality I appreciate in this kind of tunes.

As I said, I'll start working on the write-ups tomorrow, but I probably won't do them all at once, so expect the results on Wednesday.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #901 on: March 14, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »
I wish I had a cat so I could properly appreciate all my music

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: March 14, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
Doesn't work with all the music, he doesn't like metal all that much.

He does like soothing, serene songs though. Or maybe he just likes sleeping and he doesn't care about them. :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #903 on: March 14, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
I don't think any of those are mine :justjen
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #904 on: March 14, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »
Listening to what I can, and there is some strange stuff going on in this round.

I was somewhat apprehensive regarding the amount of instrumentals I received in this round – I don’t mind an occasional instrumental song or two – and I’ve got four in this round! Still, this one was splendid, kept me interested for the whole length and that’s one quality I appreciate in this kind of tunes.[/i]

Telegy. It was pretty cool.

Partly, this song might be the most beautiful thing I’ve received in this roulette yet, and partly it’s also one of the grooviest and rocking ones. I wish it was more on the beautiful side than on the rocking one, but this is still a mighty fine song.

Not sure, but I can see this possibly being mine.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: March 14, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »
Can't pick any of those.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: March 14, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
I see two comments that could apply to mine, perhaps a 3rd.

:crossesfingers:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #907 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »
I'm not sure any of those are about mine (as usual).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2016, 01:57:28 AM »
I don't think any of those are mine :justjen
This.

Though mine might be one of the tracks that flow into eachother and both get 'good' scores by Evermind standards, I really doubt it though.

Oh and I agree with the 'Telergy is pretty cool' statement, have yet to listen to everything but that song was very cool. Gotta wonder how said person finds these kinds of bands, they seem to not have gotten a lot of plays on Spotify  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2016, 02:34:04 AM »
Well, for what it's worth, I've heard of Telergy before and even listened to one their song called Teacher.  I think it happened during Nick's WPAPU show.

One of you two should be concerned about this two songs flowing into each other comment. The flow only works one way though, doesn't work if you swap those two songs around.