Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124786 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Uh oh! Mine is likely the long heavy one and the result was a headache. Not good.

Only if you listen to two songs back-to-back!

Great! Now it'll be my turn to get the "no, really a 6.5 is a decent score" speech.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Uh oh! Mine is likely the long heavy one and the result was a headache. Not good.

Only if you listen to two songs back-to-back!

Great! Now it'll be my turn to get the "no, really a 6.5 is a decent score" speech.

I wish I could've had a 6.5!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
But 6 is a decent score too!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Oh great! :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting tidbits.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This is exactly how I like my metal – moderately heavy, with enough hooks and memorable vocal melodies, enjoyable amount of grit in the singer's voice and coated in the distinctive epicness. One of the highlights from this round indeed.

Definitely the Nocturnal Rites.

Hell, the way this band entwines both the traditional metal approach and the strikingly unusual elements is worth a round of applause. It was jarring for the first few spins, but there’s no way I can say those parts are feeling out of place now.

Definitely Suspyre.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:07:38 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This is exactly how I like my metal – moderately heavy, with enough hooks and memorable vocal melodies, enjoyable amount of grit in the singer's voice and coated in the distinctive epicness. One of the highlights from this round indeed.

Could've been mine but not much grit in there , so I doubt it.   I am not convinced that mine is in there.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It isn't.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I was actually thinking this would be the Thunderstone

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Could be mine. Fingers crossed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I was actually thinking this would be the Thunderstone

I thought NR or either Thunderstone too.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
That Thunderstone song is excellent, don't know why I still haven't gotten around to checking out that Thunderstone album from my roulette.

Listening to these songs I'm getting less and less confident that either of #1 or #3 is mine  :lol most fit the description way better.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ErHaO

Gave about half of this round a spin, seems like this round will be my favourite so far, some good tunes for sure! Third description is not mine I think, but so far it seems a bit universal, depending on one's definition of epic and catchy.

I think the first description fits my song very well, which is Reign by Suspyre. I mean, it starts out with some clear symphonic music, goes into prog metal, with some jazzy(?) saxophone solo's inbetween and then suddenly, prior to the main solo section, a little folksy jam, only to end the whole thing with something that resembles electronic music. My initial reaction to the song (and a lot of the band's material) was similar. They have more straightforward stuff, but also stuff that is weirder, but much of their material has a fresh feeling to it due to having unexpected elements.

And as for the last round: Oh well, I really like Agnes Obel myself, but can see what bothers you here. To me it seems more stylistic rather than a straight "natural" accent. Many pop artists of varying nations sing similar to this, actually (though I am not sure I would call Agnes Obel pop, I do actually think she is one of the more popular artists sent in this roulette, bar the really famous ones like Slipknot). I knew I was taking a "risk" though. Oh well, still tracking ahead of myself, which will become more difficult now.

I gave most songs a spin and I overall liked this round, much better than last years ballad round for me personally. Also, if you like Snuff, there are at least some other Slipknot and Stone Sour songs worth a try (Vermillion part 2., Bother, Circle, Danger Keep Away, Wicked Game cover etc.).

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Gave about half of this round a spin, seems like this round will be my favourite so far, some good tunes for sure!

You don't say. Every round is amazing so far, I'm sure I've got the right 12 people for this roulette. I couldn't be happier with the participants' list.

Also, if you like Snuff, there are at least some other Slipknot and Stone Sour songs worth a try (Vermillion part 2., Bother, Circle, Danger Keep Away, Wicked Game cover etc.).

Well, I'm looking for the bands I can stomach their whole discography or most of the albums first and foremost, so Slipknot is somewhere far at the edge of my radar.

Results tomorrow. I think I know most of the songs quite well, but there are some tunes that I won't mind to listen to again, and I don't feel like doing the write-ups now. I'd rather do a few more spins. Anyway, I'm doing one round in a week and sometimes less, so I guess it's a good pace.

Offline ErHaO

Well, I'm looking for the bands I can stomach their whole discography or most of the albums first and foremost, so Slipknot is somewhere far at the edge of my radar.

Yeah, that's what I imagined would be the case :lol I do genuinely like Slipknot myself I must say (and, ironically, actually kind of dislike Snuff).

The pace is great so far and I still haven't decided for the next round, so no hurries!  :P Would've preferred cockblocks for the other rounds but oh well, I do have several songs in mind.

By the way, I asked this question before but couldn't really find the answer you referred to; Do you mind instrumentals?. And, with that, artists who are mainly into instrumentals? (as I try to send songs that represent the artist well). Though the case of the artist I have in mind there are definitely vocals, but used in similar fashion to the instruments rather than actual lyrics.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:19:12 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Tomislav95

About round 4: does those instruments need to be prominent in song? Or is it ok if there is just, for example, violin playing few notes in background here and there?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
By the way, I asked this question before but couldn't really find the answer you referred to; Do you mind instrumentals?. And, with that, artists who are mainly into instrumentals? (as I try to send songs that represent the artist well). Though the case of the artist I have in mind there are definitely vocals, but used in similar fashion to the instruments rather than actual lyrics.

Here it is (page 6):

What are your feelings about instrumentals Mr Evermind?   

Well, I like me a good instrumental sometimes, but it can easily fall flat too. Stream of Consciousness is actually my Top 10 DT song, so there's that. The instrumental should have something memorable for me to like it. I also seem to have a soft spot for non-metal instrumentals, beautiful and folky and acoustic. I seem to like these more.

Send it and find out I guess.

About round 4: does those instruments need to be prominent in song? Or is it ok if there is just, for example, violin playing few notes in background here and there?

It's okay if it's just in the background. I've said before I don't want to be too restrictive with the theme, but some of the best examples of the songs I want to receive are Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick and DT - Another Day. But anything will do. You'll see it when I post the write-up.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I'm pretty sure none of those tidbits is mine.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Next round might prove a challenge.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand  :corn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Too early. It's only 8 A.M. here and I'm at work anyway.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent Rd 4 so I don't forget in coming days .
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:31:09 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Busy day at work today, had to stay an hour longer than usual, just arrived home. Now to grab something to eat, give the songs one last spin and do the write-ups. The results should be up in 3-4 hours from now on.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
C'mon man, gotta hit the road in s few hours!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ruslan... just give him a 6 so you can put his mind at ease.   :biggrin:

Though, Ima gonna have to kick your ass if his song only gets a 6.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Ruslan... just give him a 6 so you can put his mind at ease.   :biggrin:

Though, Ima gonna have to kick your ass if his song only gets a 6.

Yeah, I think there's gonna be an internationally sourced fogie beatdown if it only gets a 6.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

Speaking of 6, I've got 6 write-ups done out of 12 so far. Working on it.

There will be a 6 this round, or a 6.5. I haven't decided yet, the one last listen before this particular write-up will determine the score.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I've got this gut feeling mine did poorly.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent round 4 via email cause I'm hella busy the next few days, then I'm on vacation.

Offline ErHaO

Here it is (page 6):

What are your feelings about instrumentals Mr Evermind?   

Well, I like me a good instrumental sometimes, but it can easily fall flat too. Stream of Consciousness is actually my Top 10 DT song, so there's that. The instrumental should have something memorable for me to like it. I also seem to have a soft spot for non-metal instrumentals, beautiful and folky and acoustic. I seem to like these more.

Send it and find out I guess.

It's okay if it's just in the background. I've said before I don't want to be too restrictive with the theme, but some of the best examples of the songs I want to receive are Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick and DT - Another Day. But anything will do. You'll see it when I post the write-up.

Thanks! Don't know why I couldn't find it, I am fairly sure I read that page  :facepalm:

Oh, and:  :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There will be a 6 this round, or a 6.5. 

Awesome. Can't wait! :yeahright

I heard listening to a 6 and a 6.5 back to back will give you a headache!

I've got this gut feeling mine did poorly.

Gut feeling? I KNOW mine did poorly.
Mason owes me a gigantic thank you.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

In fact, it's not yours. :lol Won't say anything else.

One write-up left to do, for that mysterious 6/10 song. Results really soon.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I heard listening to a 6 and a 6.5 back to back will give you a headache!

Don't feel bad.... 6 is apparently a good score.  :neverusethis: