Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 125030 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
with few exceptions, everything in the 8.0 or lower tier i haven't looked into at all, i will eventually but i have so much other stuff anyways  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'll check everything that gets at least a 4 in my roulette, and below that only the albums that are on my list :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
good thing the two 3's you've given me were both on your list  :corn

granted i've only sent one song (now two) that weren't on your list, out of 9 rounds, so  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Leprous and Orphaned Land? Nice.

I'll laydown a c-note and say Doc sent one of those two... my guess is Orphaned Land.

Other predictions:
Dream Evil - Kade
Iris Divine - Tim
Triumph - RJ
Suspyre - Brent
Nocturnal Rites - Big Hath
Leprous - Seneca
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tomislav95

I'll laydown a c-note and say Doc sent one of those two... my guess is Orphaned Land.

Other predictions:
Dream Evil - Kade
Iris Divine - Tim
Triumph - RJ
Suspyre - Brent
Leprous - Seneca
You're wrong about at least one of those :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Other predictions:
*snip*

I had you down for Dream Evil as you mentioned you were listening to them the other day.

Iris Divine - Tim

Kind of obvious since I did start this thread!
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43576.msg1945951#msg1945951
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I had you down for Dream Evil as you mentioned you were listening to them the other day.

I know.... pretty ironic, eh?

protip - Brent's a smart cookie.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I figured he liked Myrath, so Orphaned Land could probably have the same hit rate.  I like OL more than Myrath, but I had to lay off my absolute favorites due to harsh vocals (you're all pussies).

Offline senecadawg2

Other predictions:
Dream Evil - Kade
Iris Divine - Tim
Triumph - RJ
Suspyre - Brent
Leprous - Seneca

I might've sent Leprous if I'd known they weren't banned, but that one slipped under my radar.

I did send one of the other bands you listed, though.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I might've sent Leprous if I'd known they weren't banned, but that one slipped under my radar.

Yeah, I'm missing a lot of ones that I think are "obvious" bands because I just assume they are off the table.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Other predictions:
Dream Evil - Kade
Iris Divine - Tim
Triumph - RJ
Suspyre - Brent
Leprous - Seneca
You're wrong about at least one of those :D

Make that two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have Kade down for Nocturnal Rites.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hmmmmm..........

On a side note, not to make this by myself, but I'm pleasantly surprised, asthere's a lot of artists getting submitted lately in these roulettes that I don't know.  Even though my banned list will be crazy long, some bands featured that I've never heard are;

Leprous
Susprye
Iris Divine
Arion
Brand New
Marketa Irglova
Glass Mind
Pantommind
Sufjan Stevens
Bent Knee
My Soliloquy
Black Fate
Vandroya
Beyond the Black
In the Silence
Odd Dimension
The Paralydium Project

Good stuff.

Anyway, carry on.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I haven't actively checked out artists from this roulette yet, but I do remember really liking the two female fronted songs in round 1 (if I remember correctly there were just 2), aswell as the Beardfish song. I plan on doing so though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Hmmmmm..........

On a side note, not to make this by myself, but I'm pleasantly surprised, asthere's a lot of artists getting submitted lately in these roulettes that I don't know.  Even though my banned list will be crazy long, some bands featured that I've never heard are;

Leprous
Susprye
Iris Divine
Arion
Brand New
Marketa Irglova
Glass Mind
Pantommind
Sufjan Stevens
Bent Knee
My Soliloquy
Black Fate
Vandroya
Beyond the Black
In the Silence
Odd Dimension
The Paralydium Project

Good stuff.

Anyway, carry on.

No peaking!  Better leave them on your "available" list. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
One thing I've learned since being on DTF, my new favorite band is always right around the corner. There is so much out there...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
One thing I've learned since being on DTF, my new favorite band is always right around the corner. There is so much out there...
Absolutely this.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

DTF is responsible for at least 97% of my musical discoveries in the last 6 years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hmmmmm..........

Leprous
Susprye
Iris Divine
Arion
Brand New
Marketa Irglova
Glass Mind
Pantommind
Sufjan Stevens
Bent Knee
My Soliloquy
Black Fate
Vandroya
Beyond the Black
In the Silence
Odd Dimension
The Paralydium Project

Good stuff.

Anyway, carry on.

:tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Other predictions:
Dream Evil - Kade
Iris Divine - Tim
Triumph - RJ
Suspyre - Brent
Leprous - Seneca

I don't believe that my band has got a mention as yet,
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well then it's gotta be Armour.  Only you would be playing a band that none of any of the other 11 had heard of!   :biggrin:

"If Udo Dirkschneider and Blackie Lawless would have a bastard son, his name would be Vince Venom"   :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well then it's gotta be Armour.

Close  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
And here's the second picture. I've got to say, you guys are pretty good at recognizing those blurred bands. I'm surprised.

There was a small part of me that was hoping someone sent in Thundersword. :lol

Armory- Beyond the Horizon

Listening now, if this scores well, I may have a few things to add to my list that should be lights out.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That's too bad... I was really liking the description they gave themselves - especially of Vince Venom (THAT is a quality handle right there).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

That's too bad... I was really liking the description they gave themselves - especially of Vince Venom (THAT is a quality handle right there).

Seriously. That is a man who lived up to his childhood dreams!!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, about Leprous, The Congregation was off the table - and I liked The Congregation - but the rest was game, so small wonder someone decided to use this particular hole.

Just got home. I was able to listen a few more times to all the tunes today and I will have tidbits posted in a couple of hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Hmmmmm..........

Leprous
Susprye
Iris Divine
Arion
Brand New
Marketa Irglova
Glass Mind
Pantommind
Sufjan Stevens
Bent Knee
My Soliloquy
Black Fate
Vandroya
Beyond the Black
In the Silence
Odd Dimension
The Paralydium Project

Good stuff.

Anyway, carry on.

BOLDED!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, I got it.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Here we go, the full songs list and the tidbits. Results most probably Wednesday, I don't feel I'm familiar enough with the songs to set the deadline tomorrow.

Hell, the way this band entwines both the traditional metal approach and the strikingly unusual elements is worth a round of applause. It was jarring for the first few spins, but there’s no way I can say those parts are feeling out of place now.

Drawing influences from the band that is your source of inspiration is one thing, but pushing it too far in one particular direction is another thing entirely.

This is exactly how I like my metal – moderately heavy, with enough hooks and memorable vocal melodies, enjoyable amount of grit in the singer's voice and coated in the distinctive epicness. One of the highlights from this round indeed.

Wow, I’m having trouble determining the heaviest song of the round. I’ve got a long heavy song and I’ve got your song. My best advice is not to listen to those back-to-back unless you’re either a big fan of heavier music or you want to get a headache.

You said there’s one singer, but I’m sure I can hear the female vocals in the end (singing in Japanese, apparently?). Either I’ve got a 425’s syndrome (not being able to tell male vocals from the female ones) or you provided me the wrong information.

I’m not an expert on those things, but I really think the production could use more punch here. All these build-ups to the choruses fall a bit flat otherwise.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Wow, I’m having trouble determining the heaviest song of the round. I’ve got a long heavy song and I’ve got your song. My best advice is not to listen to those back-to-back unless you’re either a big fan of heavier music or you want to get a headache.

Uh oh! Mine is likely the long heavy one and the result was a headache. Not good.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I know which is mine, and I guess I should've been EXPLICITLY clear that A) I was being somewhat facetious, and B) there is one MALE singer.  The female spoken part doesn't really count.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I feel like this round at least one of the tidbits is mine, I'm having trouble saying for sure which one though, there's like three that could very well apply, I just hope it's not the flat production one.

First and third quotes are a bit more hopeful.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I know which is mine, and I guess I should've been EXPLICITLY clear that A) I was being somewhat facetious, and B) there is one MALE singer.  The female spoken part doesn't really count.

Don't worry, it won't affect the score. :biggrin:

Uh oh! Mine is likely the long heavy one and the result was a headache. Not good.

Only if you listen to two songs back-to-back!

Offline senecadawg2

Hard to be too confident when half the songs don't have tidbits, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd one was mine. Definitely a moderately heavy song with plenty of hooks and memorable vocal melodies. Can't really see it being any of the other tidbits.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.