Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124939 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright folks, nine people are in already. Seven of them sent me the song files, I'm really happy about that. You guys rule.

Let's see, I only need Chad, Jon and Casper and I can begin listening to this batch of songs. The obligatory blurred picture will be up when everyone's in.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
currently deciding from a handful of songs

will send something shortly
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I only need Chad, Jon and Casper

Who is the friendly ghost?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
sent
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I only need Chad, Jon and Casper

Who is the friendly ghost?

:D

It's ErHaO. By the way, now he's the only one who hasn't sent me anything yet. I also sent out some warnings about some bands I received so far, so perhaps some participants will want to change their songs for this round, we'll see.

I hope I'll get the last song tomorrow so I can start listening to the tunes and hopefully have results up by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Train of Naught: Slipknot – Snuff

it’s funny to see people losing to a Slipknot song in my roulette.

Funny wasn't the first word that came to mind, for me. I shouldn't judge though--I've not heard this song
Just like I assume some of you did last round I sent something with a high emotional impact, this is nothing like your average Slipknot song, it's actually one of my all-time favorite ballads. My 2 favorite ballads were by bands that were on the banned list, this was my #3.
It might sound weird, but I think with my musical library, Slipknot was the best option for a ballad round I had in an Evermind roulette.

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got everyone (thank you all for sending your tunes so quickly), but Chad is still deciding if he wants to stick with his original song - I'm slightly familiar with the band he sent and I didn't enjoy what I've heard from them too much - or change his entry, so we wait a bit.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Submission confirmed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So that means everyone's in! I wasn't able to post earlier, visited the local record store to see what they've got now. Turns out they suck, they had only The Headless Children and Helldorado from W.A.S.P. (no The Crimson Idol, and I decided I should buy this one first and then see how it'll go), but I managed to find some good albums to buy. This round of albums was very Tomislav-influenced.

(Yeah, those are pillows with cats. Deal with it.)

No +4626-Comfortzone, sadly, but I heard Mammoth is very decent too, so I decided I'll get it. And this Queensryche album, well, I wanted to get it a long time but somehow always forgot to do so.

Now, here's the blurred picture. Not sure how much you'll be able to make out, but this will do until the next one.

Offline Tomislav95

Love those cat pillows :metal BTW even if you don't like Strangeways check The Queen is Dead (it is in my top 50).
I can see A.C.T., Orphaned Land, Odyssey(don't know this band so I'm not sure about the name) and one looks like Arcturus(?)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I think I can see Iris Divine, Leprous, A.C.T. and Orphaned Land in there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
A.C.T. and Leprous are pretty blatant, yeah  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

The second one looks like Thanksgiving  :metal
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I think the ninth is Suspyre, considered sending something off their self-titled but I guess that's not gonna happen. Though honestly I had doubts about them for this roulette, I'm curious what Evermind thinks of them if that's actually Suspyre.

Oh and those pillows kick major ass  :metal :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I see my #5 song of all time there - which I was considering for this round - but I wouldn't have been able to submit if I had wanted to since I was last.  I suspect either RJ or Brent sent it.  I think I see Nocturnal Rites, Thunderstone and Dream Evil ... three more to  scratch off my list of possibilities. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

On my phone as I am on holiday, so I will respond and share more in the thread in a few days.

But yes, I took a song that is different in approach compared to my last two songs, as it has quite some twists and turns. I am fairly certain Ruslan enjoys (many of the) the elements of the band I sent in particular. How the way those elements are combined in the actual songwriting will fare, however, will be unknown for at least a few days from now. This artist does tend to have some weird and unconventional combinations, so quite some songs are growers. I think I took a bit of a middle ground with the song I sent.

Aso, yes, I am Casper! Never heard that nickname though (this sentence should be green, but cellphone).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Whoever sent Iris Divine is getting going to get cock punched.  I was going to send that in a future round.

Looks like the third one is Triumph, and they are a Chad staple so it wouldn't surprise me to see them sent by someone.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like the third one is Triumph, and they are a Chad staple so it wouldn't surprise me to see them sent by someone.

That would be the #5 song of all time for me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

I said in my message it was a top 5 song for me.  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I said in my message it was a top 5 song for me.  :biggrin:

The lyrics still bring me to tears sometimes.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have had success with my targeted guessing so far so ..........here's mine (from those left/not obvious)

Chad - Damnation Angels : Pride (The Warrior's Way)

Damnation Angels got down to my final two for this round , but I went with another one in the end.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I was going to send Pride in a future round. :yeahright

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Early bird gets the worm.  Let's hope that worm is worth a 9+ this round... otherwise I might pull a Bolsters for the remaining 3 rounds.   :P :-*

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Early bird gets the worm.  Let's hope that worm is worth a 9+ this round... otherwise I might pull a Bolsters for the remaining 3 rounds.   :P :-*

It's not like you had awful scores so far. Yeah, I know 6 isn't that nice, but 8.5 in the first round is a good score in my book.

I'm two listens in and it seems this is another fantastic round, a bit of the heavy side this time. Second picture today, tidbits tomorrow, results either Tuesday or Wednesday as I said before.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not like you had awful scores so far. Yeah, I know 6 isn't that nice, but 8.5 in the first round is a good score in my book.

Perhaps not, but dude... I'm in 11th place.  Doesn't matter if they're not absolute "awful" scores, they are awful relative to the competition.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Perhaps not, but dude... I'm in 11th place.  Doesn't matter if they're not absolute "awful" scores, they are awful relative to the competition.

It's because people haven't started actively screwing up. Just watch it, usually happens in Round 3 or later. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Loving the pace on this, very frequent updates aswell with the blurred pictures and stuff to keep it active.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Loving the pace on this, very frequent updates aswell with the blurred pictures and stuff to keep it active.

Yes definitely.  Great job so far Evermind! :tup

I'm two listens in and it seems this is another fantastic round, a bit of the heavy side this time.
I hope that's OK!

I sent something on the heavier side. I thought it might be a risk seeing how Seneca did with The Paralydium Project. I also had something very catchy ready to go that I thought Ruslan would like, but I went went with my heart instead of my head.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes definitely.  Great job so far Evermind! :tup

Agreed.

I sent something on the heavier side. I thought it might be a risk seeing how Seneca did with The Paralydium Project. I also had something very catchy ready to go that I thought Ruslan would like, but I went went with my heart instead of my head.

Well, you're screwed!   :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
And here's the second picture. I've got to say, you guys are pretty good at recognizing those blurred bands. I'm surprised.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ahh, a failed escape attempt

evermind might like that more than i did, dunno  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
You gave it an 8 outta ten which seemed pretty nice by your grading standards, but your writeup wasn't too nice about it.  :sadpanda:

I got that same Triumph song in my roulette, not bad.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
fwiw my grading scale in the first roulette kind sucked. it's gonna be way harsher next time, 8/10 should've been more like 6.5 or 7/10
i stand by the 10 i gave limousine though

it's just that, 8/10 ended up being "i like this but i'm probably not going to look further into it, at least not now" which is... 8/10 should actually be quite good all things considered  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Yea.. I imagine you haven't checked the album either, or even the song, after the roulette. Which is good, because it's probably all the things you hate.
I had no idea of your tastes and just sent pretty random shit, if I were to make a playlist for you now, no way in hell A.C.T would be on it  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Leprous and Orphaned Land? Nice.