Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124972 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
to be fair I've never heard that specific song but the ones I have heard do have vocals that sound like he could be throwing up so

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
That one can't be Slipknot. It's the vocalist who sounds like he's throwing up, not me. :neverusethis:

I'm sending you a 19 minute Slipknot song next round screw it, you're a mean host  :'(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I can see how someone might think Mark Slaughter has a little verp in his mouth at times.

Erie/haunting - W.A.S.P. or Mechanical Poet.  Fits both.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mine is definitely not comments 1,2,4,5.  Aside from that I have no idea if mine gets a mention, although it could possibly be called "haunting".

Blackie should start paying you royalties Kade :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, you must've sent Jon Oliva. He sounds like he is throwing up!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Blackie should start paying you royalties Kade :)

It's getting that way, especially if I can get a high score and covert another one.  :tup

What the hell?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just kidding.

I thought the throwing up comment was about Blackie as he sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles sometimes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just kidding.

I thought the throwing up comment was about Blackie as he sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles sometimes.

He just looks like that these days.  Old Blackie needs to get back in shape.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Well Evermind obviously likes the vomiting sound as Savatage is one of his highlighted bands.  You obviously prefer constipated (Bruce Dickinson's high range)  :lol

Just kidding.

He just looks like that these days.  Old Blackie needs to get back in shape.

I think Blackie might have stolen Yngwie's donuts.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sorry, but NO ONE has eaten more donuts than Jon Oliva!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Don't count as he's thrown them up  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
And I thought Binge & Purge was a Metallica release!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

:lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
This feels like some David Gilmour’s supposed-to-be B-side, which didn’t make the album because it wasn’t quite a bit up to par with the rest of material.
Mine.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Erie/haunting - W.A.S.P. or Mechanical Poet.  Fits both.

I do hope it's Mechanical Poet, I'd consider that a win since it's exactly the effect I was hoping for.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

In fact, I agree with that, but somehow I still like his voice a lot.

Don't count as he's thrown them up  :lol

This exchange really lightened up my mood this morning at work. :rollin

So, well, the bad news is there will be no results today. I'm having a hard time rating the songs. I know my two clear favourites, and I also know which song is the third best in this round, but other than that... I listen to those three best songs and I think, hell, everything else I've got in this round is alright but pales in comparison really; then I listen to the rest of the songs and I think, hell, these are pretty great, most of these deserve an 8 at least; and then the best songs come up again and I think, damn, 8 is too high for those other songs.

It's also really difficult to resist just putting the best two songs on repeat and call it a day. Anyway, if nothing drastic and unexpected happens, I'll deliver the results tomorrow. Now it's time to listen to all the songs again...
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
See, these are the advantages of a stack-rank method.  Once you get over the mental issue that realizing the song that gets a 12 isn't necessarily 12x better than the song that gets a 1, it's a lot easier (imo).  You just got to put them in order of preference.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
See, these are the advantages of a stack-rank method.  Once you get over the mental issue that realizing the song that gets a 12 isn't necessarily 12x better than the song that gets a 1, it's a lot easier (imo).  You just got to put them in order of preference.

Well, I also don't like the idea giving a song that is quite good (say, 7.5 points good) 2 points just because the competition was stronger in the round. I'm not sure, but I think it could be kind of frustrating for the participants.

The old school rating out of 10 works just fine for me. There's also the fact I've somehow gathered 12 roulette players that have quite an excellent grip on my tastes here, so it's way more difficult to rate the songs than it was before, in that first roulette of mine. I guess I just need a few more listens to figure it out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

To me, if I had to stack rank the songs, I think that'd be impossible. What I found was that a couple rise to the top, a couple fall to the bottom, but most are in the middle.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how TAC came to be known as "the breast inspector" in high school.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
 :rollin

I considered stack-ranking in my roulette aswell, but the only pro I could think of was eaze of handing out scores. I just wouldn't be able to do the songs justice as I pretty much liked way more than half the songs I got enough to give it a 7.5 or higher.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
^ I once did a variant of the stack ranking where I would give one song a 1, two 2's, two 3's, two 4's and one 5 and that worked pretty well. I did elimination things in subsequent roulettes. I don't really like the idea of 'rating' music, usually there a clear favourite and a clear worst song in the round and that latter just loses that round and is out. Makes it easier for me to play judge and the participants know what they're up to as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Meh... I got no problem stack ranking things - I have no issue in accepting (or judging) that not everything is equally good/great.  Sure, two songs may both be an 8/10, but I'm ok with saying I like one of them better than another.  That's why I always did the stack-rank method.

Personal preference... that's all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well at least stack rank is better than rack stank!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
^ I once did a variant of the stack ranking where I would give one song a 1, two 2's, two 3's, two 4's and one 5 and that worked pretty well. I did elimination things in subsequent roulettes. I don't really like the idea of 'rating' music, usually there a clear favourite and a clear worst song in the round and that latter just loses that round and is out. Makes it easier for me to play judge and the participants know what they're up to as well.
That's a cool idea, was there a penalty for 'almost being eliminated' too? Or did everyone start fresh at the start of a new round? Must suck to be eliminated after one round though  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
If I remember correctly in my last roulette I wouldn't eliminate anybody in the first two rounds, to try out tastes. I didn't do any penalties or bonuses for well-scoring songs. In my first roulette I did way too complicated things with scoring, teams, bonus point et cetera. I made it easiest as possible both for me and the participants: worst song of the round is out, rest stays in.

Aaaaaaaaand back to Evermind's roulette.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Must suck to be eliminated after one round though  :lol
It does, that's why I hate that system - if I used it I probably wouldn't have found that Lechuga song you sent me on my own :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I probably would've sent it anyway because that song felt like it was made exactly to fit your tastes, pretty much every little element it included was something I thought you'd like. You also wouldn't have found that amazing Apocalyptica song  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I still haven't listened to it or any of the submissions :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't like this elimination-in-each-round format at all. It doesn't allow you to screw up even once.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought Chad's method was really brilliant and seriously considering the same method for my roulette.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't like this elimination-in-each-round format at all. It doesn't allow you to screw up even once.

Survivor formats have their pros and cons.

I thought Chad's method was really brilliant and seriously considering the same method for my roulette.

:blush

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni