Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124668 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The heat of endless winters (Tidbits)
« Reply #490 on: February 24, 2016, 09:06:57 PM »
I think Kade expressed his  >:(  at Cloudscape being taken out Chad.

It's all a ruse!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
 ;)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
Oh, and I'm pretty sure the 'djent' comment goes with The Paralydium Project, because I thought the same thing.

Interesting that two of the songs were also ones I received recently as well as a different Black Fate song.

Oh, and I guess if I checked last.fm, I might be able to tell a little better who sent what.  Now I know what/who Bolsters sent.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »
I think I'm gonna reveal the songs straight up in my roulette, this is a great idea Ruslan has come up with here.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #494 on: February 24, 2016, 09:57:51 PM »
Oh, and I'm pretty sure the 'djent' comment goes with The Paralydium Project, because I thought the same thing.

Yeah me too. I can't stand most things with djent.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: February 24, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »

Yeah me too. I can't stand most things with djent.

Same... but crunchy guitar tones have their place every now and then.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:31 PM »
Same here re djent -  poor old splent got caned in my roulette for sending Animals as Leaders  :lol    Never send djent splent   *unties tongue

Although I do have one obscure band that could be called djent that are sitting in my Evermind playlist.........not sure I'll have room to squeeze them in though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
Man... that was a quality list of songs.  Couple are now noted that I'm gonna have to check out at some point.

But I still don't 'get' Beardfish.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: February 24, 2016, 10:44:31 PM »
Beardfish are good.  Mammoth is a great record.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2016, 01:03:55 AM »
Beardfish ain't mine yo, the only band I know on this list is In The Silence, so that's mine  :biggrin:

I think I'm gonna make a playlist of the songs too, should be fun to see what I'm up against.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #500 on: February 25, 2016, 01:25:14 AM »
Beardfish ain't mine yo, the only band I know on this list is In The Silence, so that's mine  :biggrin:

I think I'm gonna make a playlist of the songs too, should be fun to see what I'm up against.
I sent Beardfish. I'm crazy about their newest so I had to send something from it.
And I think jingle is right about Evermind's comment on Beardfish, it is a long song.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2016, 03:53:47 AM »
Man... that was a quality list of songs.

You don't say. I thought the preliminary rounds were good, but compared to this one... little did I know.

I think I've got a good grasp on most of the songs now. If everything goes fine, I may try to get results up this evening, but no promises. Friday is still more likely.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2016, 04:01:02 AM »
For sure a very strong round, listened to the whole thing, even the songs I didn't like as much I can see Evermind liking.

The first tidbit is probably about the Beardfish song yeah, and the strange deja vu one I'm thinking is someone receiving the same score as the last one or two preliminary rounds. The djent one really only applies to The Paralydium Project, but with Evermind you never know what could be classified as djent.

Still can't figure out the Quiet World quote, I thought it would be about a song that does growls without them feeling out of place or over the top to you, but I don't recall any growls this round.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: February 25, 2016, 04:01:58 AM »
Man... that was a quality list of songs.

You don't say. I thought the preliminary rounds were good, but compared to this one... little did I know.

I think I've got a good grasp on most of the songs now. If everything goes fine, I may try to get results up this evening, but no promises. Friday is still more likely.

No rush man, a lot of quality to get a hold of here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2016, 05:47:45 AM »
I checked out a few of the songs yesterday. Yes there is some good stuff.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #505 on: February 25, 2016, 06:11:05 AM »
Odd Dimension - Tim

Well, we've talked about them a couple of times so I can see why you'd think that.

They're a great band and one of my favorite discoveries of the last 5 years.

Dammit I wasn't aware of a second Odd Dimension album, only figured it out when I couldn't match the tune to the one I had.

I've used Light Speed Journey in most roulettes I've been in. Awesome tune! I've had Far From Desire on my short list many times but thought LSJ was a bit safer. But FFD is great and it totally earworms me at the end.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. Like a rhyme of the false orchestra (Soon)
« Reply #506 on: February 25, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
I think the results will be up in two hours or less from now on. I'm done with ranking the songs, just need to write the write-ups.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #507 on: February 25, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »
Cool :metal
I was pretty confident when I sent my song but now I'm not too much, there are some pro roulette players :lol even if you liked it I think my relative score won't be that good
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:07:37 PM by Tomislav95 »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »
I was pretty confident when I sent my song but now I'm not too much, there are some pro roulette player :lol even if you liked it I think my relative score won't be that good

Not spoiling anything about the score, but you're indeed in an impressive crowd of participants. Chad said this is like all-star setup for him, and I tend to agree. It's going to be difficult to win this thing, and even making the cut-off will be incredibly challenging.

To everyone regarding the scores: remember that 7.5 equals "good". The rating for this round was very difficult for me. Even if you get 7.5, it still means your song was good, it's just I didn't connect with it as much as I did with the songs that scored better.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #509 on: February 25, 2016, 01:08:19 PM »
To be fair Tom, I think the second half of your song was really great, didn't connect as much with the first half as much on first listen, which is why I thought the first tidbit was yours.

I guess we'll see in a bit. I personally really dug the female-fronted songs, and it's normally not something I enjoy as much but these were amazing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #510 on: February 25, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »
I remember I (frequently) have a notably different taste in ballads so the next round will be both interesting and risky for me. That and the flute round.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: February 25, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »
It's not a "flute" round, it's more like the "unusual instrument" round. ;)

8 write-ups ready, 4 to go.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #512 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »
To be fair Tom, I think the second half of your song was really great, didn't connect as much with the first half as much on first listen, which is why I thought the first tidbit was yours.

I guess we'll see in a bit. I personally really dug the female-fronted songs, and it's normally not something I enjoy as much but these were amazing.
I felt nothing after first listen to that album so I can get someone not liking it.
About ballads round, I don't know yet what to send. Maybe I'll take risk and send something different than anything from banned list.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. This is how it is... (Results)
« Reply #513 on: February 25, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »
So here are the results. Just remember this is some really tight competition. There's no shame in being the last here. I tried to be honest regarding the songs too.

Round 1 Results:

lonestar: My Soliloquy – Flash Point

You said you were digging deep for this roulette, and indeed, I’ve never even heard of this band. For one moment I was afraid since the intro riff sounded suspiciously like djent, but this is clearly no djent, but excellent progressive metal instead. I should’ve known better than to doubt you.

I mean, I love everything about this song. From the odd frantic riff in the beginning to the tension-filled bass-line and the quite on edge vocal delivery, this is just so excellent. This is the kind of progressive metal I love. The vocalist sounds quite like Peter Nicholis and would’ve been fine in some neo-progressive rock band, but he’s doing this kind of progressive metal instead and he’s doing a brilliant job with it. The vocal melodies fit him like a glove — I also love how he rolls his tongue doing the “r” sound in a few words. When the song goes into a lengthy, well, should we call it a bridge, I love the inclusion of acoustic guitar, it adds a lot of this tune; and the singer’s voice is working perfectly on this song. “Simply can’t recall / This is how it was” part with acoustic guitars all over it… damn, this is so beautiful.

You were the king of 9 and 9.5 scores in my previous roulette – I recall you received a lot of those, and you had a great chance to win the whole thing until you blew it up with two duds in Round 7. But your game in the first rounds was top-notch, and I guess you’re doing the same thing now. This is a fantastic song, just excellent, and it’s the winner of this round. Just don’t fuck up later on, and if you continue sending songs like this, I think you pretty much have this roulette in the bag. But wait, well, maybe some participants have something to say about it…

9.5/10

bl5150: Black Fate – Rhyme of the False Orchestra

Even before I started my first listening, two songs’ names in the batch intrigued me. This was one of them, and I was indeed pleased to discover the interesting, promising song title wasn’t the only way this song could appeal to me.

Honestly, listening to this, I’m feeling like I’m discovering some secret Kamelot album I never knew of before, and this feeling is worth a lot. The singer has an incredible voice and his singing appeals to me big time – and I’m actually straight, but damn he’s hot and his voice is even hotter. So anyway, let’s get back to the song. I like how the whole song is pretty much power metal but the pace is slowed down, I love how the song’s name rolls off the tongue in the chorus, I love the instrumental arrangements… This is right up my alley, no doubt about it.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t intend this to happen at all — I mean, I’m just rating the songs depending on how much I liked them — but this is some kind of (strange) déjà vu going on here. But hey, I’m not to blame if you guys are constantly sending me the awesome music. This is the second standout in this round, and while I like the tune RJ sent a bit more, the difference is almost negligible.

9.5/10

Big Hath: Leverage – Rise / Wolf and the Moon

I’ll be honest, I had some doubts about my picks for the four remaining spots in the main competition, but you sent some great songs in the qualifiers so eventually I began to think you’re a great pick for this roulette and your tastes must be awesome since you were consistently sending me great tunes. I admit, I still had my reservations since we mostly didn’t interact here on DTF at all… well, you dispelled all my remaining doubts in this round.

First off, it was a great call to send me the orchestral intro along with the song; it enhanced my listening experience a lot. This is a fantastic power metal tune, the orchestral arrangement present in the song itself adds the necessary texture to it, and the narrative in the middle isn’t bothering me at all. In fact, it makes me even more eager to check out this album. The best part of the song and the one that never fails to send chills down my spine is when the chorus kicks in: “Hey you!” with the guitars building the tension before this part kicks in and the keyboards accentuating (I hope this is an actual word) this powerful punch. The singer is brilliant on this song — in fact, most of the songs I’ve received in this round featured a great singer on them, and perhaps that’s why I loved this round so much — I place a lot of importance in the vocal melodies and vocal delivery. The vocals in your song were top-notch, and so were the melodies.

Well, what can I say? This song was awesome, but the other two songs clicked with me better. Still, this was great and I’ll be checking out Leverage after this roulette for sure.

9/10

Dr. DTVT: Sieges Even – The Lonely View of Condors

You were one of the participants who were going to get 8.5 as their score, but as it happens, this song grew on me a lot. I didn’t think much of it on the first listen, and now look where it is, it’s the fourth best song of the round and it gets a nine. I’m not sure I know your tastes well, but judging from my first roulette, this is somewhat like a trademark entry of yours if you take the genres into account. Awesome atmospheric progressive rock with a touch of happiness.

I like how this song seems sad and longing, but at the same time I love how those unexpected moments of springy happiness burst through in the pre-choruses (“Sometimes it’s coming over me!”). I don’t have anything to compare this song with, and at the same time I love how it sounds, and it’s a great thing. This truly feels like a progressive rock for me, pushing the boundaries of this genre yet still being a brilliant, enjoyable music.

You know, I always thought it wasn’t easy to impress me with the progressive rock bands, because they tend to be quite hit and miss with me, and loads of them fall into the miss category. But somehow you make it seem easy with your submissions. I think I liked everything you’ve sent in my first roulette except Xen. I guess you realized something about my tastes that even I can’t quite pinpoint, and I’m so glad you’re in this roulette.

9/10

wolfking: Cloudscape – Under Fire

I know you tend to send your entries without any extended thinking. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t; and I don’t actually know what strategy you used when you sent me this one, but I guess it worked better than anything you’ve sent to Bolsters in Championship roulette.

This song is interesting. The band sounds tight and great, the musical landscape is right up my alley here, but despite myself I’m finding the small things to complain about (while the world is under fire, no less). I really feel this track could’ve been 9.5 material if some vocal melodies were tailored to fit my tastes. I mean, the soaring chorus lines with “the world is under fire!” are so promising, but then it gets just a bit underwhelming with “still we complain about small things”. I think the quieter part in the middle and the following instrumental are very good though.

So yeah, while I feel this has potential, the vocal melodies could’ve been better and thus this track isn’t as awesome as the four above it. Still, it’s a great song and one of the best you’ve sent to me so far.

8.5/10

jingle.boy: Vandroya – Why Should We Say Goodbye

It was a nice call to send a female-fronted power ballad, striving to submit something different and refreshing from other participants’ song. This song definitely was refreshing among the sea of all the male-fronted tunes (well, except Dave’s entry), but unfortunately, “refreshing” doesn’t quite mean “flawless”.

I guess need to get this out I guess… Is this me or there’s a huge Avantasia vibe in the chorus? I swear, the vocal melodies and rhythm are so much like The Seven Angels outro I’ve found it startling. I mean, not only they’re called Vandroya (and I’m sure you know the character Kiske played in The Metal Opera is named Vandroy), but I’m always tempted to sing the chorus like this:

When you try to say the truth
And sometimes it takes the toll
Dreaming of a nearly past
From the other side of life

But hey, if I dismiss that, it’s actually a nice song. I love ballads, and this one is right up my alley. I do think some of the lyrics sound a bit cringe-worthy (“Oh baby, don’t you dare to leave me coz’ you’re inside my heart”), and the similarities with Avantasia do take away some of my enjoyment, but when it gets good, it’s really great. I’ve watched the video too, and while I’ve found it well-crafted, there weren’t any tear-jerking moments for me, so I guess it really is personal. (I think the singer looks quite saddened and she could use a fluffy microphone instead of that steel one she has. Fluffy mics bring joy. Just like fluffy cats.)

I’m rereading my write-up now and it seems really critical. Well, don’t be alarmed or anything, in fact I like this song a lot. I just had a lot to write about it too.

8.5/10

Tomislav95: Beardfish – Comfort Zone

So as I said, I’ve heard the epic from this album called If We Must Fall Apart before, but only one time and I guess I wasn’t in the mood back then. Because now I’m listening to this song and I think this is quite good indeed. Naturally, I was worried about this song, but I must say, I’m glad this isn’t like that Quiet World situation at all: I saw the album was named Quiet World, not to mention this glorious peaceful art, and I thought it was going to feature some mellow progressive rock all around, and instead I’ve got blast beats, growls and all the not-so-nice stuff in one song. I was afraid this will be like that one, deceptively called “Comfort Zone” and turn out to be well outside it.

Well, it’s not, it’s right inside my comfort zone. This is that warm progressive rock I feel it could’ve been written and recorded back in the 70s or 80s. There aren’t any fantastic jaw-dropping sections, but it’s all just pretty solid and enjoyable. I like the main melody and I like how the keyboards are used throughout the song, and the vocalist doesn’t detract anything from the tune too… it just lacks something to be really fantastic. Still, it’s fine and I think it describes me when I get up for work at 5 A.M. perfectly: “I hate everything and everyone”.

You feared you weren’t going to get such a good score, and well, it depends on what you think a good score is. Yeah, it’s not 9.5, but your song is still sixth out of twelve, so in the end you didn’t do so bad.

8.5/10

Bolsters: Beyond the Black – Songs of Love and Death

After two kick-ass power and progressive metal songs in the preliminary rounds, this… well, this wasn’t what I expected at all. Mid-tempo female-fronted song? You managed to surprise me this round, for better or worse.

And well, while I didn’t expect to get such a song from you, it doesn’t make it less good. It’s not a clear stand-out in this round, but it’s a very strong track. Good melodies there, the chorus is quite an earworm and it’s so catchy it’s actually annoying on the subsequent listens. I’m quite torn at the singer’s voice, she sounds quite powerful yet she also sounds tired somehow, and this makes it grating on my ears just a bit.

I mean, this song wasn’t bad by all means, quite good actually – remember that anything above 7.5 is a good score – but it just couldn’t compete with those six songs above it.

8/10

Train of Naught: In the Silence – Ever Closer

I’ve got to say, you weren’t wrong labeling this as “atmospheric metal”, because this is essentially what it is, but that’s not all. I’m subconsciously associating this song with alternative rock on its heavier sections and I’m not too fond of them, but the atmospheric parts are doing this song a huge favour.

I love some dark, quiet landscapes in metal music (see Amadeus Awad), and I think this song does this wonderfully. There are some great moments when it gets heavy too, don’t get me wrong, and all in all, the song does a great job convincing me about its awesomeness. You know, those heavy guitar parts beneath the song, the lingering vocals, all that… they add up to a wonderful song all around. This isn’t something I can instantly fall in love with, but it’s pretty damn good too.

8/10

TAC: Odd Dimension – Far From Desire

You know, this may sound weird, but you surprised the hell out of me with this song. I’ve always imagined you being a fan of some heavy / power metal with high-pitched vocals (that Enbound song you sent me in my first roulette is a good example), and here you send me something that (in my opinion) walks a fine line between progressive metal and thrash metal, really heavy overall with raspy vocals.

This song has some fantastic sections and not-so-fantastic sections too. My biggest problem with it is that it sounds hugely disjointed to my ears. I don’t think the faster verses correlate with the slow-paced pre-choruses quite well; but I do like how this song maintains the heaviness throughout. All sections sound good to my ears, it's just they don’t quite work together as a song. It gets better towards the end, but it’s still not enough.

This song originally had the lowest score of the round, but I really appreciated the different sections here, even if I thought it was disjointed a bit, and I think the ending carried this song to the “good” level.

7.5/10

senecadawg2: The Paralydium Project – New Frontier

Songs like this one were the main reason I was taking such a long time posting the results for this round. I wanted to let the song sink in with its formidable length and all. I kept giving it more chances to grow on me, and now I finally feel I’ve got a good grasp on its structure and all… yet sadly I’m still not convinced.

This tune has some brilliant sections. The verses building the tension with the heavy, crunchy guitars beneath them are one of my favourite musical moments in this whole round (“I’ve been seeing it over and over again / Appearing in my dreams / I imagine there’s a greater purpose for me”); but the quiet sections feel out of place, in my opinion. It doesn’t really help how this guy pronounces some words (“is a vishion from a dream”). Don’t get me wrong, some parts here are top-notch, but some parts bring this song down quite a bit.

I was thinking about this for quite a long time, but in the end, I’m still not convinced. Yeah, this is good, with some excellent parts too, but that’s it. It’s good and that’s about it.

7.5/10

ErHaO: DGM – Trust

Well, I’ve heard about DGM, but I never checked out their music. I often get some Italian metal band promo albums in my e-mail, and they all sound, well, not exactly the same, but quite close to it. DGM seems to have somewhat distinctive sound, but the melodies and the riffs are pretty much generic here.

I mean, there’s nothing wrong with this song, but I feel they’ve only managed to get the chorus right on this tune – it’s quite memorable indeed – and then there’s some generic wacky instrumentation and forgettable verses. I’ve listened to this song a lot, probably 10 times or more, and still I was underwhelmed. The chorus is fantastic, yes, but the rest of this tune sadly falls flat for me. Still, it’s not bad and it’s quite listenable alright, and the chorus actually carries this tune up for a few points, but it’s still the least exciting song of the round.

7/10

Bands added to banned list:

My Soliloquy
Black Fate
Leverage
Sieges Even
Cloudscape
Vandroya
Beardfish
Beyond the Black
In the Silence
The Paralydium Project
Odd Dimension

The scoreboard:

lonestar - 9.5
bl5150 - 9.5
Big Hath - 9
Dr. DTVT - 9
wolfking - 8.5
jingle.boy - 8.5
Tomislav95 - 8.5
Bolsters - 8
Train of Naught - 8
TAC - 7.5
senecadawg2 - 7.5
ErHaO - 7

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: February 25, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
Round 2: Ballads

This is the usual round in my roulette. Everyone has to send a ballad. Since this question arose before in my PM, I've got to say, my ballad definition is a sad / slower song that doesn't have to be telling the story. I know there's another definition of ballad being the song telling the story regardless the style (could be heavy and fast and whatever else), but I ask you to keep to the description I provided in the previous sentence.

This round can be a make or break regarding the scores. If I like the ballad, there's a good chance it'll get a great score, but if you missed with your ballad, well, be prepared for a low score.

I think I also have to warn you that happy ballads don't tend to align well with me.

The time-limit for this round is 10 minutes.

Send your songs!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #515 on: February 25, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
I'm more than satisfied with 8.5 :tup there are some bands others sent that are recommended to me on Last.fm but I never checked them. Now could me time for it.
I yet need to find ballad for next round but I'll try to send it as soon as possible(probably tomorrow).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #516 on: February 25, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »
I guess the greatness of this round means there's not much of a gap yet so that's good. Very satisfied with an 8/10, considering I'm technically 3rd to last that could've been a LOT worse.

Been deciding between two artists for the ballad round but I'm not sure whether either of these will be something you'll like, gotta take the risk though. Will send tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: February 25, 2016, 03:01:53 PM »
You're right, I didn't put any thought into the submission, but happy with the score.

This Black Fate band seems to be a good one.

I'll send something tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #518 on: February 25, 2016, 03:02:41 PM »
Ouch!
I can't believe My Soliloquy won the round. I've used them a lot and pimped them hard when that album came out. Even started a thread.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: February 25, 2016, 05:21:05 PM »
Nice.............some interesting stuff in there.  I never really got into My Soliloquy , in large part due to the vocal tone - at least I know you don't mind squeaky vocals now (something I was iffy about with one of my potential songs).

I'll stick with what works............sending more hot guys :heybaby:

I spent a lot of time listening to DGM the other day Evermind and my tip would be not to give up on them but track down their older stuff with Titta Tani on vocals , which is more power metal.  They remind me of early Vanden Plas in that when they went more prog , they took some time to find their feet in terms of the song writing matching their musical chops.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:29:12 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #520 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:38 PM »
Oh nooooooo  :sadpanda: But hey, so far I am beating myself in comparison to last year! Not sure if that will be enough with these "enemies" though.

This DGM tune was a safe kind of pick from my part. I love the tune myself but fully agree it doesn't stray from the usual powerprog. I just think the latest two DGM albums are quality and overall love the vocal melodies. I saw them opening for Symphony X once and liked them a lot so checked out their new record at that time (mildly related sidenote: Russel Allen also appears on their latest, which is always a good thing).

I will sent the song I picked this round to you soon, I decided to stray away from the prog/rock/metal/sympho scene for this one and focus on an artist with many slower/ballady songs. This is because I feel many ballads are not representative for their respective artists as a whole at all. And I picked a more weird/risky song for round 3 as well, assuming I won't be cockblocked in a ballad round for that one (you never know around here though  :lol).

Nice.............some interesting stuff in there.  I never really got into My Soliloquy , in large part due to the vocal tone - at least I know you don't mind squeaky vocals now (something I was iffy about with one of my potential songs).

I'll stick with what works............sending more hot guys :heybaby:

I spent a lot of time listening to DGM the other day Evermind and my tip would be not to give up on them but track down their older stuff with Titta Tani on vocals , which is more power metal.  They remind me of early Vanden Plas in that when they went more prog , they took some time to find their feet in terms of the song writing matching their musical chops.

Well, I failed to cockblock you guys here so you are free to give him a better introduction to the band  ;D (I am not familiar with their back catalouge so I am actually interested as well).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #521 on: February 25, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »
I agree with whoever else said it, but I wouldn't have sent My Soliloquy either, but shows what we know.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #522 on: February 25, 2016, 08:12:33 PM »
An 8 is disappointing, I thought that song would fare better with you. :-\

Sent Round 2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: February 25, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
That DGM song was made me me take note on my 'to check out' list.  That's tastes huh?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: February 25, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »
Sent something I had been saving for your roulette Kade (yes, a "ballad")  - I won't say "don't listen to it" as you won't be able to help yourself when you see who it is ( a duet of two of our favourite singers).   500 physical copies released back in the late 90's , so I wasn't worried about being cockblocked on this one  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au