Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 122901 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. Intentions perfectly clear (Tidbits)
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2016, 04:11:10 AM »
Just have everyone on DTF play.

4700 odd songs per round, 10 rounds. You'll be the most musically literate motherfucker on the planet by the end of the roulette.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2016, 04:15:37 AM »
Or.. you can pull a Sacul and let 15 people in?  :lol Fuck priorities right?

I wouldn't let me in if you don't like funky metal instrumentals, I'm a big fan of those and I would almsot surely send something along those lines. :metal

No I won't. 12 people in the main competition it is.

Actually, speaking of letting people in, well, I'm not judging solely by the song they've sent. I mean, the songs are the most important thing, yes, but I also analyze their performance in my previous roulette if they've played there (not in the way "ha, they didn't make it in Round 7, they suck, bye bye", but more "is this guy able to send something I'll like?"), I look at the person's tastes overall to determine if they can send something that will interest me throughout all the rounds. I want to get a lot of amazing music in this roulette, that's why I invited eight people I knew I could count on, and I want to get four more people that can send me amazing music.

But if any of participants would've sent the absolutely awesome song for this round, the one I would fall in love instantly, they would've been in without a second thought about their previous performance, tastes and whatnot. And, in fact, that's what one person did. The best song in this round is so fantastic and brilliant.

Well, you'll see what I mean when I post the results.

Just have everyone on DTF play.

4700 odd songs per round, 10 rounds. You'll be the most musically literate motherfucker on the planet by the end of the roulette.

Yeah, no. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2016, 08:08:02 AM »
Only a few write-ups left to do, but there's also that Manchester City - Tottenham Hotspur game I wanted to watch. We'll see how it goes, I may post the results before it or after it. Depends on how fast I'll write them.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2016, 08:16:50 AM »
Exciting times!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »
Alright, results will definitely be up before the game. Only a few finishing strokes to make them look nicer. Both invited participants and the contestants, you'd better get ready...

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2016, 08:52:59 AM »
 :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2016, 08:53:28 AM »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. Colour overcomes this night (Results)
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
Well, here we go. I had to split to post in two because it exceeded the characters limit. In the first preliminary round. I know, right? :lol Well, you'll just have to bear with me.

Preliminary Round #1 Results:

In like Flynn:

Tomislav95: Redemption – Black and White World

Oooh, someone from the invitees is probably going to be disappointed. Redemption was an obvious hole in my list, the one I’m surprised no one took an advantage of in my first roulette, and one of the invited folks has already asked me about this band’s absence in the list — and all for naught, since you were quick on the trigger indeed, effectively blocking that person by sending this magnificent little gem to me.

This is by far the best song of this round. Everything about it is perfect to my ears, from the wonderful keyboard intro fitting so much with the album cover and the general atmosphere of the song to the deep and soulful Ray Alder’s vocal performance. Love songs can come off as really forced and facepalm-worthy, but in the instances they’re done right, they can be captivating and touching, and I think this is a great example of this. The lyrics are deftly written, and Ray’s voice just adds the magic to this tune through these carefully written longing vocal melodies. The prominence of keyboards and bass throughout the track is another highlight, and the happy, uplifting ending with the simple yet gripping harmonies seals the deal for me. This is too good to be wrong, indeed. I’ve nothing to complain about. In fact, I liked this song so much that when I was in the record store in Friday I’ve tried to find anything from Redemption there, but sadly they didn’t have anything. Still, I’m aiming for some purchases of this band’s material here.

You’re in straight to the main competition. You don’t have to send for the next preliminary round, but you can send something if you want to. Note that if I like your song enough, the artist will be banned. This is a good way to cockblock someone or to check out my tastes with something you’re unsure of. (9.5/10)

Train of Naught: Avenged Sevenfold – A Little Piece of Heaven

This was, by far, the best grower of the round. After a first listen I was thinking about eliminating you, because something about this song just didn’t click with me, and then I found out I was humming the chorus melody to myself every now and then. I guess what I needed to do is embrace the playful and quirky atmosphere of this sprawling song, and after I approached it with not all that seriousness I was able to appreciate the hell out of it. Thankfully, I’m not against the grossness in the songs while it’s all good-hearted and fun.

This song is remarkable due to the huge theatrical vibe, loads of unusual instruments in your standard metal song and of course, there are those different vocalists. There are lots of subtle orchestration, sound effects to enhance the experience, and the dramatic sections with raging vocals are alternating with the fairly calm choruses, including the severely annoying “my baby don’t crah – ah – ah – ah – ah – y” which is probably the most earworm-ish moment and fits perfectly in the whole Broadway vibe of the song. Needless to say, I love the dramatic sections the most, and my favourite part is probably the bridge where they’ve got the guest female singer to contribute. “Well then I’ll grant you a chance”, this part is just fantastic. But I’ve got to say, the song works spectacularly well as a whole composition, and this was another highlight of the round. It has a bit of mood from Scaretale by Nightwish, except I actually like your song, and it has a bit of that madness of Sonata Arctica’s Unia, and the outcome exceeded my expectations. I don’t see myself enjoying an album full of the tracks like that, but one or two occasional tracks like that, yes, this would appeal to me. And anyway, this song is a lot of fun. So did he rape her dead body first and then got on with eating that heart he ripped out from her?

You took a risk and send the band that was in “I didn’t like it” list, and it paid off big time. This song was much better than Afterlife. You too are in straight to the main competition. You don’t have to send for the next preliminary round, but you can send something if you want to. Note that if I like your song enough, the artist will be banned. This is a good way to cockblock someone or to check out my tastes with something you’re unsure of. (9/10)

Almost in like Mr. Bean (okay, I’ve got nothing for this one)

Bolsters / Big Hath: Arion – Out of the Ashes

Well you guys are certainly good at sending the same songs. First you both went with Shadows, and then you’ve both settled on this one, so I assume Shadows is Arion’s best song and this is the second best? This makes sense, since I liked Shadows a lot but just forgot to check out the rest of these guys’ work, and if this song is any indication, I should do it as soon as I can.

This song is somewhat relentless kick-ass power metal, but it’s quite different from your usual double-bass onslaught you can hear in a lot of new power metal bands, this track has somewhat of a progressive edge. There are symphonic parts (played on keyboard I guess, but still), pounding riffs and the very memorable vocal melodies, with the singer knowing where to go powerful and where to go high-pitched to the point it sounds like someone is squeezing his balls. It’s a great tune and my only complaint is the production could be a bit clearer; this song sounds a bit muddy. After Shadows and this song I can definitely see why you guys would like this band, I need to check the whole album for sure.

You both proceed to the Preliminary Round #2. Your song was quite great, so you have a bit of advantage over the rest of participants in that round. Just don’t send the same song again. (9/10)

Tyrias: Brand New – Handcuffs

I’ve got two ballads in this round, and I liked yours much more than the other one. While I didn’t think Sowing Season was anything special, I connected with this song instantly and this may yet inspire me to check out Brand New. The chill guitar, the soft, uncaring singer’s voice makes this song very appealing and enjoyable, and the inclusion of cello during the further “I’d arrest you if I had handcuffs” passages takes the song on the whole another level. It’s a great example how one well-thought-out vocal melody can make the song, with the fitting instrumentation behind. That’s not to say I didn’t like the rest of this tune, because it was quite good and definitely not out of place, but the aforementioned passage is the one that kept popping up in my mind here and there. I was actually disappointed when it didn’t show up one last time in the end, I feel this song could use another run of this beautiful melody. Or maybe it could use a sequel instead. How about “I’d buy you dinner if I had money / I’d lift you if I had a car”? Write the next two lines yourself!

You proceed to the Preliminary Round #2, and along with Bolsters and Big Hath you’re on top of this food chain, so to speak. You’ve got a bit of advantage over the people down this list. (8.5/10)

splent: Kansas – Song for America

Well, this was another grower, and while at the first listen I was worried your participation in this roulette would be over in just one round, I’ve come to appreciate this song quite a bit over the subsequent listens. It came to the point I can safely say that out of three longer progressive rock songs I received in this round, this one is undoubtedly the best, and while the other two are fighting for survival as we speak, you’re definitely in the safe zone.

I was familiar with some Kansas songs (their main hits mostly), and I can’t even say I’ve liked those, so I was quite apprehensive about this tune, but it’s actually quite a pleasant ten minutes ride. You mentioned in your PM this song doesn’t feel like it’s ten minutes long, and I completely agree with you, it feels much shorter. The vocals could be more impressive, but they fit the song well, and so do the instrumental parts – my favourite things are the up-front bass, which was something the progressive bands from 70s and 80s loved to do, and of course the lovely violin making its appearances throughout this tune. The keyboard solos are also lovely. I’m usually not too big about those happy progressive rock songs – it takes something unique to interest me in these – but I admit I should’ve checked Kansas years ago, this song seems right up my alley and after the initial not-so-good impressions I enjoyed it every time I had to spin it during this round. Well done. I’ll dive into Kansas discography after this roulette.

You proceed to the Preliminary Round #2, and you’re somewhere in the middle there. You don’t have a huge advantage over everyone, but you aren’t in that bad position either. Your song was solid, and to get further you should maybe up your game a notch, but you still have pretty good chance to make it. (8/10)

Sacul: Marketa Irglova – Time Immemorial

You are one of those participants whose previous record works against you, because except Pure Reason Revolution that I didn’t quite dig and Swans that I didn’t quite dig, you didn’t have anything applying to my tastes to offer me in my first roulette. I wasn’t sure what I should expect from you there, but you opened with a really nice and beautiful ballad, which, despite not being the best song and even best ballad of the round, was enough to get my full attention.

If we take into consideration both my first roulette and this one, this is probably your best song yet. You of all people should know I’m a sucker for ballads, and this one hits it quite close to the spot – the whole acoustic background and Marketa’s voice are entwined to create a thing of beauty, a wonderful little song. I feel her voice is even a bit under-utilized here, and she could be a bit more powerful in a few moments considering the subject, especially in the last part starting with “Since time immemorial there’s been conflict and war”, but otherwise it’s a fine song and I’ve enjoyed it a lot. If you have more things like that, I’d be glad to see you in my roulette… it’s just somehow I doubt that. Feel free to convince me otherwise in the next preliminary round?

You proceed to the Preliminary Round #2, and you’re somewhere in the middle there. You don’t have a huge advantage over everyone, but you aren’t in that bad position either. Your song was solid, but considering your previous track record, you definitely should up your game a notch if you want to get in. Still, you’ve got a pretty good chance to make it. (8/10)

425: Coheed and Cambria – Key Entity Extraction I: Domino the Destitute

You’ve jumped upon this train quite late, but it won’t diminish your chances to make it as long as you send me great songs! You might want to try harder than that if you really want to play in the main part though. You probably didn’t know that, but my main problem preventing me to check out C&C was the fact I couldn’t stand the vocalist voice. I’ve mostly checked out some bits of their music here and there, but I never checked out any whole song by them. I even fell for the joke regarding Metallica’s Welcome Home being the cover of Coheed and Cambria’s song due to my ignorance once. :lol

Well, it was high time to rectify that, and listening to this song with an open mind, I can’t quite say I hate the vocals here. They’re quirky, yes, but they’re not that much quirky that I won’t give them a chance, and while on some occasions during this song I cringe a bit, in the other moments the vocal style works just fine. There are also some moments I don’t quite understand their necessity yet, like the laughs in the middle of the song or the spoken samples, but I don’t know the whole back story, so I’ll just let them slip for now. I can’t honestly say I loved this song, but I liked a lot of parts in it, and while I might have found it disjointed, I’ll write it off as me not being familiar enough with the song. I can’t digest a complex song in only a day while I still have to listen to twelve others.

Still, I’ve liked enough what I’ve heard so you proceed to the Preliminary Round #2, but you’re not in the favoured position, and not even in the middle, somewhere just a smidge below that. Your song was good, but to get in the main part you’ll either have to send something better than that and hope the other participants will screw up too, or send something incredible that will make me drool and jump in a sheer exultation or something. Another song like the one you’ve sent this time won’t do the trick. (7.5/10)

Scorpion: Heart of Cygnus – The Mountain King

You’ve played in my first roulette and while you’ve sent some great tracks, you submitted some duds either. You were close to make it through the eliminations, but you’ve lost it in the Tiebreaker to ErHaO, sending that Theocracy song. I’m quite interested in Theocracy now, actually, but I still think that song wasn’t too good. Anyway, I was quite intrigued with what you had to offer this time.

I’ve read over the Internet this band includes only two musicians, one of drums and one on everything else, and that’s certainly impressive. I guess the string parts are the samples then, or did they get some guest musicians on that record? Anyway, I love how authentic and folky the intro sounds here, like it’s introducing some magical land far away. Considering the cover and the melody in the beginning, this song reminded me of Heroes of Might and Magic III for some reason. Anyway, this was one of those longer progressive rock songs I didn’t really appreciate on the first listen and I still remain unconvinced. The vocal melodies here are a real downer. I think a song with such a small vocals presence could use them to a greater effect, and instead they feel kind of unneeded to me here. I also thought this song drags a bit and it didn’t warrant the full nine minutes to get its point through. It’s enjoyable, yes, but my attention drifts off if I don’t force myself to stay alert, and that’s never a good thing.

You’re barely through and you proceed to Preliminary Round #2, but not only you’re not in a favoured position, your next entry pretty much has to leave me in awe. I’d say you’ve got to send the best song of the next round if you want to get in. (7/10)

Elite: Kino – Losers’ Day Parade

I was intrigued both by your participation and by this band, seeing how they’ve got Pete Trewavas (I hate typing this surname in, really, it'so difficult to type) on board, but in fact this was more underwhelming than it was enjoyable. I mean, when this song gets good, it’s certainly quite a great one, but the lows are sticking out and quite persistently bring this song down. The stripped down part beginning from 2:20 is the greatest example of that, and I have to gather all my tenacity to sit through it, and it doesn’t help when we get reprises of this theme later. When this tune gets more intense, however, it becomes progressively more interesting. My favourite part is probably the ending, where the band goes all out with “Dead nobodies in company cars”, and yeah, this is the kind of music I love, but it took them six minutes to get there. Even after six listens, I wasn’t able to grow to like this song as much as I wanted to, and that makes me think that maybe it’s not that great after all.

Please don’t read this as me being condescending, but here goes: in all honesty, I should eliminate you right at this point, but I’m really intrigued in what you have to offer, so I think you deserve one more chance. Therefore, you’re barely through and you proceed to Preliminary Round #2, but to earn yourself a place in the main competition, you have to wow the fuck out of me. I know you can do it. Maybe it’s time to take some risks? (6.5/10)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
Out like the third Fallout

Parama: Serdce – Unique Path

Well, what’s up with all these bands with Russian words in their names? I mean, I’d understand if there was one, but two? First I get Kino (which is “cinema” if you translate it) and now Serdce (a heart). And it’s also a Parama’s submission, so I’ve got to expect some weird shit.

Alright, so whoever’s reading this, please don’t laugh at this next sentence. I don’t know how mathcore sounds, but this sounds totally like mathcore. I mean, those precise keyboard sounds in the beginning and the lifeless vocals, this is totally how I imagine mathcore. I have no idea what it really is, but it’s like that djent situation all over again! When these sounds cease to exist, this song even becomes awesome, especially since 1:10 to 1:35 when those incredible brass instruments kick in, very low yet very chilling and persistent. But then the song goes on through its motions again and well, in theory it’s really something I should dig, because I do like bleak and dark landscapes in the music, but this feels really lifeless. The instrumental part is where it becomes really good again, but… well, you of all people know what comes after this instrumental part.

You were right saying you would be down there on the scoreboard, and that’s why I decided to host those qualifiers first. No offense, but you’re out. In fact, if it’s any consolation, you saved Elite from going out. I was determined to eliminate at least two players, and if it wasn’t for you, he would’ve been the second one. (6/10)

Luoto: Oddland – Still the Spirit Stays

So after all this talk you decided to go ahead and send me djent? Well, I think Tyrias might have some bad news for you.

I must say, I kept bothering myself with thinking you’re new in this roulette routine and you don’t deserve it, but in the end I just couldn’t find anything to get you in the next round. You probably aren’t aware of my tastes that much, so I guess this song was a shot in the dark, and you pretty much missed big time.

I’m not even sure this is djent (it’s probably not, given my track record, at least not in the rest of the musical universe), but it comes as close as it can being djent for me. This song is just too busy instrumentally; I think it also has those down-tuned guitars, crushing riffs I dislike and overall heaviness too. However, that’s not to say this song doesn’t have anything good and note-worthy – I’ve enjoyed the vocal melodies a lot, the way they build up tension is admirable, and the singer’s voice is pleasant – too bad it’s buried under these guitar sounds (polyrhythms? I’ve got nothing, I’m not a musician.) There are some good parts in this song, but my overall impression is that after those four minutes I find myself tired of listening to the music.

I’m sorry and I wish you luck in the future roulettes. Don’t let this one loss discourage you – maybe your song was even great and I was too blind (deaf?) to see (hear?) it, but I’ve got my tastes and you got yours – it’s just they don’t seem to be compatible judging by this one song, and I don’t want to try and confirm it. I’ll just stick to my comfort zone.

You’re out but thank you for giving this roulette a shot! (5.5/10)

Dick Pick:

jingle.boy: Glass Mind – Haunting Regrets

If there’s an option for making a dick move like cockblocking your fellow competitors before the competition even began, and you wonder who would do such a thing, look no further than Chad ‘win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat’ Belcher, who is always glad to bring some headache to the people he’s playing against.

(Well, actually, if I was playing in my roulette, I would’ve done the same thing. That’s why I included that option, in fact.)

But let’s rank this song! I know your first intention was to block one of the players, but this is actually quite fantastic. From the guitarwork to the ever-present, quite prominent keyboards in the mix, and the vocals are quite a blast too. I think this could use a bit clearer production too, at least in the guitar department, since the keyboards are quite ringing and nice, but this doesn’t detract my enjoyment of this song anyway. Nothing really mindblowing (not like that Redemption song), but still a great metal number; I could use bands like that in my discography, so I thank you for this one. I think there’s someone among the participants that won’t be that grateful though… (9/10)

Bands added to banned list:

Redemption
Avenged Sevenfold
Arion
Brand New
Kansas
Marketa Irglova
Coheed and Cambria
Glass Mind

Updated list of participants (also available in the second post)

• bl5150
  • lonestar
  • senecadawg2
  • Dr. DTVT
  • wolfking
  • ErHaO
  • jingle.boy
  • TAC
  • Tomislav95
  • Train of Naught
Contestants for the free spots (so far):
  • Bolsters
  • Sacul
  • splent
  • Scorpion
  • Tyias
  • Luoto
  • Elite
  • Big Hath
  • Parama

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2016, 09:11:48 AM »
Preliminary Round #2

So now we've got eight people competing for two free spots. Same rules, this round is open, the length limit is 10 minutes. I'll also take into account your previous entries for Round 1. I've pretty much indicated what you have to do to make it in your songs write-ups, so I guess that's it. The final chance to get in the main participation and kick the invited participants asses.

Send your songs!

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2016, 09:18:56 AM »
I’m sorry and I wish you luck in the future roulettes. Don’t let this one loss discourage you – maybe your song was even great and I was too blind (deaf?) to see (hear?) it, but I’ve got my tastes and you got yours – it’s just they don’t seem to be compatible judging by this one song, and I don’t want to try and confirm it. I’ll just stick to my comfort zone.

No worries :tup Now that I know your taste is a bit more old school (I admit a couple of throw-offs in the banned list), I would know what I'd send had I been through the round. But alas, better luck next time!
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2016, 09:19:08 AM »
you're welcome, Elite  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »
Redemption wasn't on your list? :facepalm:

you're welcome, Elite  :lol

Thanks bro :lol

Now not to blow it again in the second round
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
Wow, awesome! I'm reliefed that I'm through but also pretty bummed I had to use my perfect round 4 theme song to do so. Oh well.

including the severely annoying “my baby don’t crah – ah – ah – ah – ah – y” which is probably the most earworm-ish moment and fits perfectly in the whole Broadway vibe of the song. Needless to say, I love the dramatic sections the most, and my favourite part is probably the bridge where they’ve got the guest female singer to contribute. “Well then I’ll grant you a chance”, this part is just fantastic. But I’ve got to say, the song works spectacularly well as a whole composition, and this was another highlight of the round.
Yeah, that's one of those typical Avenged moments that most people can't stand, and I would lie if I don't slightly cringe at all the "nyeaaaah" moments, a friend of mine who doesn't realyl like A7X calls Afterlife the nyeaah song because of those verses.  :lol

I thought you'd like the male/female vocal switch-offs, got quite a bit of those from you in my roulette aswell.
Congrats to Tomislav and good luck to the remaining 8!

Oh and I'll probably send something just for the heck of it because I'm pretty curious what you think about it, but I would never dare to send it in a regular round.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »
I knew you'll like Redemption :)
I'll probably send you one artist which I wouldn't send in regular round, I want to play safe :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »
Forgot to say it in the write-up, but that Brand New song would've been perfect for Round 4.

Yeah. I advice to check the list more thoroughly, there are some obvious bands missing which I just didn't take time to check.

Welcome both Tomislav and ToN!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
Nice, time to step up my game  :smiley:

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2016, 09:43:35 AM »
Forgot to say it in the write-up, but that Brand New song would've been perfect for Round 4.

Yeah. I advice to check the list more thoroughly, there are some obvious bands missing which I just didn't take time to check.

5 out of 6 songs I have planned would fit for round 4 :lol
Glad you liked it, I'm gonna send another song that is a bit outside of your comfort zone, but has lots of elements I know you like. Now I only have to find it somewhere that’s not spotify.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
i put redemption on a wishlist in my last roulette and nobody sent a single song from them, evermind doesn't even have a wishlist and gets redemption first round, and loves it  :lol

granted i was like, talking smack about the band based on the one or two songs i listened to so  :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »
Thank you :tup
i put redemption on a wishlist in my last roulette and nobody sent a single song from them, evermind doesn't even have a wishlist and gets redemption first round, and loves it  :lol

granted i was like, talking smack about the band based on the one or two songs i listened to so  :P
They're becoming one of my favorite bands. Can't wait for their new release(it's out in 2 weeks), check 2 new songs they released if you want, pretty sweet stuff :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »

Well I loved Redemption, which probably means you'll hate it, so don't bother. :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2016, 09:53:29 AM »
Yeah, your tastes don't make any sense. Sorry man. :P

Will probably send something soon, but whatever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
I actually really liked that Coheed song, but checking out the album after my roulette, this was the song where the vocals were the least bothering, definitely the best choice of song for someone who doesn't like Claudio's voice as much.

So Tomislav, are you still interested in the gore song?  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:41 AM »
Yeah, your tastes don't make any sense. Sorry man. :P

Will probably send something soon, but whatever.

It's not that they don't make any sense, it's just you haven't been able to figure them out.

Sorry if I frustrated you with my write-up, but, well, I was trying to be honest.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
So Tomislav, are you still interested in the gore song?  :lol
I don't like Avenged Sevenfold at all. Only their song I somewhat enjoy is Welcome to the Family. A Little Piece of Heaven is interesting (didn't expect it to sound like that) but I'm not in the mood for it now, I'll check it again tomorrow.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
Sent for the next preliminary round!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Glad I got through to the next round. I'm glad you liked it. Gotta figure out a song to send you.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2016, 10:33:34 AM »
What's your take on harsh vocals, Ev? Not growls or screams, but something like Devin Townsend :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »
What's your take on harsh vocals, Ev? Not growls or screams, but something like Devin Townsend :P

I really dislike Devin's music that goes beyond ambient / acoustic things because of how thick and layered it is, so I don't think it's the best example, I can't say anything about his harsh vocals because I'm biased in the wrong way. You should provide me another example I think.

If those harsh vocals are anything like, say, Jorn Lande, I'm all in for that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:49:36 AM by Evermind »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »
Oh I get it :)

Now time to choose between a badass metal tune, an intimate folk ballad, and a more electronic song, mmnnnn.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
I'll help you, get rid of the electronic song and you only have to decide between 2 instead of 3.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2016, 10:51:56 AM »
If Evermind's round 6 submission tells me something, is that he would like the electronic song :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2016, 10:54:14 AM »
Really, it just depends. There are only a few electronic projects I like. The one I sent to you is a rare thing, as I told you in PM. And it's more ambient, folky and beautiful than electronic.

If there are some great vocal melodies, intimate folk ballad is a safe choice I think. Whether you want to play it safe or not, it's up to you.

Offline 425

« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »
Alright, put in my song, got pretty much the result I expected. :lol It was worth a shot, at least.

I think it's highly unlikely that I'm getting in at this point, and I think I won't have nearly as much to send you as others on the off-chance that I do make it. I'll probably try to find something where there's a 90% chance you won't like it/think is just okay and a 10% chance that you'll really like it and just send that off and see what happens.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2016, 11:04:07 AM »
Well, my primary intention is always to send kickass music.  Just in these prelim rounds, I gotta take out the competition when I can.  I'm so glad there's a second preliminary round.  :biggrin:

Arion - great, GREAT album.  That was one of my 'instant' purchases at the end of the last roulette - thanks Jon!  Shadows is :2metal:  Dat chorus!   :hefdaddy
Redemption - exellent tune on probably my favorite album by them.  Alder's vocals took a long time to 'click' for me, but when they did, it was bliss.
Heart of Cygnus - I totally get where you're coming from.  I enjoy all three albums very much, but it's not something that really captures my attention, or draws me back.  One of those middle-of-the-road bands for me.

Eliminating people through preliminary rounds is a tough thing to do - especially when they send good music.  That happened to me in my roulette's with RJ, Kingshmegland, Prog Snob, and Nekov.  Ya just need to put on your big boy panties, and kick the worst songs out.

Time to reload the rock-block cannon.  And I know just what to load it with.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:15:26 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion