Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 122934 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dammit Evermind!

My body is not well.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel like you just took the first metal tracks that came to your mind and dumped them into an EP – and you probably did exactly this – but it works surprisingly well. The outcome is quite consistent and solid.

This has to be mine.  And if it is, that's exactly what I did.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel like you just took the first metal tracks that came to your mind and dumped them into an EP – and you probably did exactly this – but it works surprisingly well. The outcome is quite consistent and solid.

This has to be mine.  And if it is, that's exactly what I did.

Yeah, this is your tidbit. No surprise.

I'm working on something (not the results) regarding this roulette that should be done in ~three hours or earlier. Actually, there are two "somethings", and I think both of them are quite interesting, but that would be up to you to decide.

And yeah, results tomorrow. No particular timeframe yet, but as I said, I've got something to do in the morning IRL, so definitely not morning / early afternoon.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry, didn't manage that thing in time, but I'm still on it. Just need one more hour to send the PMs and all.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, so here are the two updates I promised you.

Six days in a row listening to your EPs... this could be daunting indeed. That's why today, after work, I took the time to listen to some of your previous entries, starting from the qualifiers and going to the Round 7, revisiting them, and I decided to put together a double album from your best entries. If you were actively participating in the thread or in this roulette, you should get a PM with the album included. The tracklist is as follows (tracks from EPs aren't included):

Evermind's Roulette (2CD)

CD1:

01. Flash Point (6:22)   [My Soliloquy / lonestar]
02. Still Alive (4:03)   [Nocturnal Rites / wolfking]
03. Landfill (4:22)   [Daughter / Tomislav95]
04. Broken Wings (5:26)   [Forgotten Tales / TAC]
05. The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and the Sermon in the Silt (5:41)   [The Dear Hunter / Train of Naught]
06. Paranoid Circus (4:05)   [Lyriel / ErHaO]
07. Painted Skies (6:10)   [Midnight / bl5150]
08. Last Chance (6:53)   [Shooting Star / TAC]
09. Self-Blinded Eyes (6:01)   [Almanac / bl5150]
10. Moonhorse (8:42)   [Avatarium / Big Hath]
11. The Idol (8:40)   [W.A.S.P. / wolfking]
12. Pride (The Warrior's Way) (9:47)   [Damnation Angels / jingle.boy]

Total length: 1:16:12

CD2:

13. Psychopomp (5:17)   [The Tea Party / wolfking]
14. Handcuffs (4:11)   [Brand New / Tyrias]
15. The Lonely View of Condors (6:15)   [Sieges Even / Dr. DTVT]
16. Time Immemorial (4:29)   [Marketa Irglova / Sacul]
17. Mermaids From Their Moons (5:24)   [Vision Divine / TAC]
18. The Bold Move (6:36)   [Dead Lord / TAC]
19. Black and White World (8:03)   [Redemption / Tomislav95]
20. Rhyme of the False Orchestra (5:00)   [Black Fate / bl5150]
21. Winter (5:42)   [Tori Amos / senecadawg2]
22. The Bonding (15:26)   [Edenbridge / Bolsters]

Total length: 1:06:23

I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in that, but I know I would certainly be interested. This is what I'm missing in every roulette, so I decided to bring it to life.

Anyway, let's move to the second part. The thread is getting dull - which is expected, since I don't have a lot of updates left (the double album was the last update before the results), and we're still about ~22 hours away from the results, so I think I've got to do something. And here's the deal: any of you can ask me one question regarding anything roulette-related, be that the Finals scoring, the songs in Round 8, anything. I promise to answer truthfully. But everything isn't that simple, there are two essential things:

• You are forbidden to ask about your own EP (which means you can ask about any EP if you're not actually participating).
  • The more generic your question is, the more evasive my answer will be (for example, I won't give a direct and clear answer to the questions like "Did you like that song?") Be creative.

I don't know if anyone will be interested in doing that, but I'm giving you an opportunity to shed some light on the upcoming results... if you do it subtly and carefully enough.

In other news, results tomorrow (I know I said that before, but it really doesn't hurt to repeat that).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
what was your least favorite song in the entire roulette, including the EP round?  :corn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
what was your least favorite song in the entire roulette, including the EP round?

That's a good one.

Including the qualifies? Easily Native Construct - Mute. That one sucked. Ka-ra-zu Ni-mu-pa-tu my ass.

Not including the qualifiers, I think Beyond Twilight - Shadowland. I actually listened to this one again as I typed the answer, and wow, I wish I didn't - I disliked it even more than in the respective round. Jorn sounds like he's actually throwing up there, and to be honest, I think 5.5 was too generous for that song. Nothing in the EP round was as bad as that one. Even that Slaughter song is better.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh man and mute's one of the better songs on that album too  :lol
come hell or high water would probably kill you
but yeah the album isn't stellar or anything, the people who say it doesn't stop getting better after repeated listens are insane

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Thanks for the PM; I'll report back later :)

Fire up some good questions, participants! (If I read correctly everybody is only allowed ONE question, right?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Fire up some good questions, participants! (If I read correctly everybody is only allowed ONE question, right?

Yeah, everyone is allowed only one question. Which means you too are allowed one question. ;)

Edit: I'm there for one more hour. After that, I'm going to sleep, so if there'll be any questions after that, I'll answer them tomorrow morning.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Got my copy in the PM aswell :metal not sure if I can handle over 2 hours of evermind music though, the very first song on the first disc was probably my least favorite of all the songs I checked out in this roulette :lol I remember being really annoyed by that riff and it never stopped.

oh man and mute's one of the better songs on that album too  :lol
come hell or high water would probably kill you
but yeah the album isn't stellar or anything, the people who say it doesn't stop getting better after repeated listens are insane
1. Agreed
2. Yep, though I've grown to like it a lot apart from that fucking high pitched voice part, wtf.
3. I don't get the pretty much universal praise it gets amongst the modern prog fanbase either. I love the album, and since it was the first of its kind to me it made it seem a lot more special, but I don't understand why people who have listened to BTBAM, Haken and the like for years suddenly go apeshit over this one.

Here's my question: How much points is a pearl star? :neverusethis:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Got my copy in the PM aswell :metal not sure if I can handle over 2 hours of evermind music though, the very first song on the first disc was probably my least favorite of all the songs I checked out in this roulette :lol I remember being really annoyed by that riff and it never stopped.

I'd say try it (duh, obviously I'll say this after all the time I spent to put it together). There are a lot of awesome stuff, and you can always skip the song if it annoys you. The whole double album is very diverse, and besides, you don't have to put any effort to get it.

Oh, and I just realized I have no idea which riff you're talking about. Simply can't re-ca-a-a-a-all. :lol

More points than bronze star, but less points than diamond star. And I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. Dave, confirm this if you can. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:31:19 PM by Evermind »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Double album idea is awesome. Wil grab when I get home from vacation.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

When I came up with this idea (it was on Wednesday when I was on the train), I just knew I had to do it. I had so much fun thinking it through, making it coherent and making sure the flow would be at least acceptable. I'm really satisfied with what I've put together.

Just don't forget it's really diverse. Some of the tracks may put you off. But you will finally hear the perfect transition between Landfill and Broken Wings! I really thought that was one huge progressive rock/metal track back in Round 6. :lol I'm still amazed how seamlessly they flow into each other despite being from two quite different genres.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm still amazed how seamlessly they flow into each other

Just like The TAC EP!

:neverusethis:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
So glad Marketa made it to the double album, Ev - now you'll hopefully not forget to check her stuff, only two beautiful albums  :smiley:

The album idea sounds awesome, kind of like a shorter version of my "best of roulette" playlist. I might copy you this idea, but making single albums or EPs with a theme or something. Or maybe I'll forget because exams :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i'll probably make a single-disc best-of my roulette when i do my second roulette now, yeah

in 2017

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
See, I'm that inspiring! First blurred pictures, now this. :lol

The idea behind making that double album was to appeal to the lazy participants / followers like me. If you just provide me the tracklist, there's no way I'm going to check any song out from it. However, if you approach me with a link to the song - or, in my case, the link to the full album archived - I'll be much more willing to give it a shot. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way, hence what I did here.

As I said, I wish other roulette hosts did something like that.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Parama's best of roulette

1. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
2. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
3. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
4. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
5. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
6. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
7. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
8. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
9. Dream Theater - Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)

Total length: 1:02:51
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah, i'm listening to the roulette album now and reviewing all the songs because i can

i'm skipping handcuffs when i get around to it tho, but maybe not because it's great

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
In an exclusive interview about why he composed such a "best of" album, Parama said:

well I just decided not to bother and include bmubmd nine times because who cares anyway  :lol

yeah, i'm listening to the roulette album now and reviewing all the songs because i can

i'm skipping handcuffs when i get around to it tho, but maybe not because it's great

I'm not sure you'll last until Handcuffs actually. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh please, this is a cakewalk compared to the slog of a playlist i have to listen to on another site

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
oh please, this is a cakewalk compared to the slog of a playlist i have to listen to on another site

Yeah, you actually have a skip button you can use here.

Edit: Well, in fact, I think you'll like some of the songs. Landfill, Moonhorse, The Dear Hunter one.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
The Oranssi Pazuzu Forums do song roulettes too ?

Offline senecadawg2

Awesome idea--I can't wait to listen to it. I'm only familiar with a handful of those artists and only a couple of the songs.

I'd ask a question about the results but I'm on the run now and probably won't be back to the forums until after the results are posted anyways.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
The Oranssi Pazuzu Forums do song roulettes too ?
okay but i actually was listening to oranssi pazuzu his morning  :lol
but no it's actually a mafia (the game) site that's been doing this monthly song contest thing forever and there's occasionally a really good song so i still keep joining them even though it's mostly crap

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So are you playing mafia there or is it just about song contests?

Actually, maybe we should run a DTF mafia in General Discussion. Was it ever done? I'm kinda new here so I don't know.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i did and sometimes still do play mafia there but between a combination of not having the time and getting a little bored of it i don't play nearly as much as i used to

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, it's much more fun to play with people who you're more or less familiar with. DTF edition could be a lot of fun actually.

Awesome idea--I can't wait to listen to it. I'm only familiar with a handful of those artists and only a couple of the songs.

I'd ask a question about the results but I'm on the run now and probably won't be back to the forums until after the results are posted anyways.

Well, the question part isn't obligatory so it's all up to you. Personally, I wouldn't have missed such an opportunity, but hey, that's real life for you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
and now, parama reviews the evermind roulette album (disc 1)
1. Flash Point
i kinda dig this, the main riff is cool but I don't really care for the synth mixed into it. not a huge fan of the singer's voice but it's alright. felt way longer than 6 minutes though  :lol
2. Still Alive
okay this just feels like very standard and solid power metal, so i'm not surprised evermind loved it
3. Landfill
this is the kind of nice, weightless little ballad that i'd probably like more if i listened to it 5 times but doesn't hit me that hard on first listen
4. Broken Wings
this was fairly standard power metal stuff too but also kind of lacked any dynamics, the verse and chorus were at the same level so it felt kinda monotonous
5. The Bitter Suite IV and V
so i listened to I and II just yesterday on a completely different site, how about that. a bit slow to start but when this kicks in it's really fun. maybe not much more than that, but it's alright
6. Paranoid Circus
i'm just going to guess that every other track on here is going to be solid but unmemorable power metal
7. Painted Skies
i actually like this a decent bit, the vocals are again not 100% my thing but they're solid. maybe a bit long for a piano ballad? i'd probably like this less if i had to listen to it 5 times tho
8. Last Chance
wow, this is actually really cool and i might revisit it
9. Self-Blinded Eyes
this is slightly better than solid but unmemorable power metal, maybe it's the vocals, it's probably the vocals, they're p. good
10. Moonhorse
i listened to this entire thing and kind of didn't get a lot out of it but what i did i liked? the guitar tone is cool, the riffs are pretty nice and sludgy
11. The Idol
i hate the intro bit of this obv but. anyways this is all-around pretty solid honestly but i'd need more listens to fully appreciate it, which i will probably not give
12. Pride (The Warrior's Way)
okay the start of this is actually gorgeous and amazing  :lol the vocalist here is pretty good too, throughout this song is pretty rad. this would've prob gotten like a 9 in my first roulette tbh

i'm pretty sure the second disc is going to kill me so i'll listen to it later
tho i already listened to the edenbridge song too so i probably won't again

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'll probably listen to the album, but considering most of it seems to be power metal, I might end up digging just a song or two :P

Offline Tyrias

Album seems like a cool idea and I'll probably check it out.

As for questions: how do you find the time (and motivation) to write  and do all this extra stuff for your roulette (tidbits, long write-ups, that album...), write elaborate essays for submissions in other roulettes and still have a full time job?

Hope that makes sense, as I just came home and am not quite sober  (read: really tired amd really drunk)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My question would be what kind if job do you have that you can listen to so much music?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
More points than bronze star, but less points than diamond star. And I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. Dave, confirm this if you can. :biggrin:
No.