Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 123012 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

As for who's who... I'll guess bottom right is RJ; and the one with Sun Caged is probably Big Hath.  Catley/Black Majesty has to be Kade; we know Agalloch/Thrice is Seneca; Pathosray/Labyrinth I'll say is Brent; Guaranteed Tim is the Hibria/Lords of the Trident... cuz he gave me those in mine!

You're right on mine.

I mentioned I had Pathosray on my first draft, and I was also going through some Labyrinth stuff as well.

I actually had a different Hibria tune on my first draft. Was going to send Screaming Ghost. But Millenium Quest has such an awesome instrumental part.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:17:56 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
You are le wrong.

No shit.  Well, then swap you and Jon - since he sent me Black Tora in my roulette, and you put me on to Secret Sphere.

Mother fucker... first two songs are Stargate.  You're definitely the top left.

:tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Kade has Trivium : The Darkness of My Mind

And yeah........it's me with the Italian assault (Pathosray and Labyrinth)

How could I resist? :)

Protip to everyone - stay away from Italian Power Metal
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:44:19 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Seems none of us heeded that advice. I sent two Italian prog/power bands. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Kade has Trivium : The Darkness of My Mind

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening to this song right now. What does he sing in the chorus? "My bizarre design"? "My sesai besai"? I can't make it out and it drives me insane.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The darkness of my mind
Where life and death divide
The ending of mankind
Demise is our design

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Demise is our design? Wow, I didn't heard that at all. I'll pay attention when this song comes up again.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Here are the revealing pictures. I didn't add the names of the players to the EPs, but Chad pretty much got them all right on the second try. I added something else for you to be interested in... and the first part of tidbits will be up tomorrow.

Offline senecadawg2

What are those...?

ETA: maybe favorite and least favorite track from each EP?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
When you said someone sent an EP called EP Empty Hollow, Rage instantly came to mind.  I didn't think they'd send that suite though.  Good long song though.

Interesting to see what the dots mean.  Two favs I reckon.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Thank god they're not stars!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What are those...?

ETA: maybe favorite and least favorite track from each EP?

That is exactly what they are. For my EP, Nightmare World is his favorite, and as expected, Hibria is his least favorite.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm in trouble. None of my lyrics have been in the thread title.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
if that is the indication, Agalloch is running away with this round (!)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

As they should

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If one of those is least favourite then I am happy with that .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, "v. See my commands! Follow them all!" would look kind of silly. :D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Well, "v. See my commands! Follow them all!" would look kind of silly. :D
:lol

No it wouldn't!
 :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Wow, didn't realize this one was already in the final round, you're looking to finish the roulette within the 2 month timeframe since the first real round opened and I don't think a single day went by without at least one post here.  :tup

Meanwhile Genowyn's roulette is still going on, which started almost 3 months ago :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
This guy knows how to run a roulette.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, didn't realize this one was already in the final round, you're looking to finish the roulette within the 2 month timeframe since the first real round opened and I don't think a single day went by without at least one post here.  :tup

Meanwhile Genowyn's roulette is still going on, which started almost 3 months ago :lol

Exactly how it should be run.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Thank you guys. :tup

Just got home, will post the tidbits a few hours later. There will be two kinds of tidbits. The song-related tidbits will be posted today, and the EP-related tidbits will be posted tomorrow. I'll try to do something that may be fun at Saturday; and Sunday will be the results day almost certainly. I might have a certain real-life business on Sunday, but I'll try to churn out the results anyway. The listening is going as planned - I feel I'm quite familiar with four EPs out of six, which means I'm right on schedule so far.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
seneca, that is a sexy EP. You'd probably get something like a 9/10 from me for that, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Birch Black.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, just because Tim asked nicely... :biggrin:

Anyway, here are the song-related tidbits. One tidbit per EP. Some of those are pretty obvious, but why not. :lol

This song reminds me – don’t laugh – of Gamma Ray with growls. The vocalist singing clean totally sounds like Kai Hansen, and the growls add that Ensiferum-like feel. I wonder what were you thinking when you sent this one.

And don’t get me wrong, the instrumentation here is wonderful, I especially appreciate the slow, melodic electric guitar soloing both in the intro and the instrumental part, and it’s also nice how the rest is mostly acoustic guitar and vocals and some keyboards creating the musical landscapes. But the thing is, the vocals are bordering on annoying for me here, and the vocal melodies actually are annoying, and this doesn’t bode well with this song’s score.

So as I said, it just happened that my first listen to all the EPs took place at work, and I wasn’t quite familiar with any of the tracklists at the moment. When I’m able to listen to the music at work I’m usually quite immersed in what I’m doing, and sometimes if the music itself is dull enough, I may end up not registering anything I’ve hearing. But when I was listening to this one, I found I’m growing less attentive to what I’m working on; and I’ve paid more and more attention to this song instead, but I had no idea what I’m listening to. And at some point I thought
“wow, this is just fantastic, but when will the vocals come in?” So naturally I checked my phone to see which band was currently playing, and immediately I thought “Oh shit! I take that back! Please don’t let the vocals come in!” :lol

What really sold me on this song was the interplay in the end, where the most memorable line from the chorus was alternating with the softer line over some tasteful riffage going on. They’ve managed to project quite an interesting vibe here.

I won’t lie, this is probably the most difficult song for me to get into. Maybe that’s because your EP is still down there in the rotation – I’m planning to give it those ~6 more listens on the road tomorrow – but so far I’m on four listens to your EP overall and I’m drawing a total blank on this song. I daresay this isn’t a good sign at all…

Now, I know I said this before in this very roulette, and this time I was prepared since I’ve heard this singer even before I did this roulette – but it doesn’t really help this guy sounds like he’s throwing up, or as Chad would put it, “got a little twerp in his mouth”.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:39:14 AM by Evermind »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not much there that's positive and I am struggling to figure out what relates to mine  :blush  Maybe the growls (yes , I sent growls :lol ) but I can't say Kai Hansen came to mind for me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
The third one just has to be Agalloch based on prejudices of mine, I haven't heard too much but the song I got in my roulette had really pretty instrumentation too, and black metal growls

If that one is just a 'tidbit' I can't wait for my phone to explode when the full results will be posted.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
yeah the third is def  Agalloch  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Yeah but it doesn't reveal anything about how he felt when the vocals finally did come in. Tricky, tricky  :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hard to read much into those honestly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This guy knows how to run a roulette.

Yes he does!

And nice thread title! :tup  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Hard to read much into those honestly.

Yeah, well, I know. I can't make them too spoilery, because I don't want to give any significant hints towards the outcome. I have a lot to say both about the songs and about the EPs, I really do, but I can't put almost anything of it in the tidbits without revealing my feelings about the songs.

Same with the second batch of tidbits. I think it's quite easy to figure out which tidbit is related to which EP, so I have to err on the side of caution here. But it's only two more days to wait, so you'll just have to bear with me.

Maybe I should've abandoned the tidbits idea for the EP round, but then I wouldn't have had enough content to post here on a daily basis, not with the work interfering.

Anyway, the EP-related tidbits:

It’s also very energetic and somewhat varied despite mostly done in one style. There’s at least one song on your EP I’m not too fond of, but, ironically, it will give you some additional points, because it’s essential to the overall flow, in my opinion. I just wish you found a better song to fill that spot.

I can see why this happened, but still, to me it sounds like this EP has two intro tracks, and while the first one is very well-done and fitting, the second one is clearly unnecessary; and it appears after a full-fledged song which makes it even more baffling in regards to the flow.

I feel like you just took the first metal tracks that came to your mind and dumped them into an EP – and you probably did exactly this – but it works surprisingly well. The outcome is quite consistent and solid.

This was definitely the oddest EP genre-wise (alright, I don’t know what to write in the tidbit so you would be unable to determine it’s the Nelson’s EP because his EP is just so different from everything else I received here), but I like how well-thought out it is. From the certain atmosphere in each section to the interesting decisions regarding the flow and the song lengths, it’s obvious you put a good amount of effort into this, and I think it works.

“Have probably taken the concept of the ‘flow’ to ridiculous lengths with this”? Yeah, no kidding! :lol I mean, I expected anything but a concept EP with the similar music themes and a bloody story to go along with it. And you pulled this off with using several different artists, no less! I’m impressed.

Your EP is the only one I’m not familiar enough yet – will be heavily listening to it tomorrow, so I’m not sure I can give you any adequate comment regarding it. It definitely isn’t the best in terms of the flow, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing because the competition in that department is ridiculous this time.

And nice thread title! :tup  :lol

It actually worked better than I assumed! :lol
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:35:22 AM by Evermind »

Offline senecadawg2

That second to last tidbit is really interesting and sounds very ambitious. Cool idea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am afraid I own the 5th tidbit in the first post and the 1st tidbit in the second post. I can see the fawning over Kade's EP here. I hope I didn't blow the whole thing on one song. Damn. So close...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I am afraid I own the 5th tidbit in the first post and the 1st tidbit in the second post.

You're second-guessing yourself so much it's painful to watch. :lol I'm willing to say you've got one of these guesses right.

And with that, I'm off to sleep. Watch out for this thread tomorrow.