Poll

How Well Do You Understand The Story line of The Astonishing?

Very well, I know exactly whats happening at all times when I listen
62 (37.8%)
Fairly well. For the most part I know whats going one when I listen
65 (39.6%)
I sort of follow the plot I think?
12 (7.3%)
Not too well. Its kind of like some Lord of the rings in space type shit isn't it?
8 (4.9%)
I don't have a clue, I'm just in it for the music. Good vs. evil maybe?
14 (8.5%)
Other, please explain
3 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: How Well Do You Understand The Story line of The Astonishing?  (Read 8373 times)

Offline genome

Re: How Well Do You Understand The Story line of The Astonishing?
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2016, 08:11:59 AM »
I'm exactly the same  :D

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 11:18:51 AM »
I've listened three times, haven't read the book yet, and haven't been to the website.  I love the music.  I have no idea what's going on in the story.  But I'm pretty sure someone's father dies.  And there are people who have PCs, but no Macs.  Or something.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »
:lol

I love concept albums but I think the reason I don't like the story is because this is not a concept album - it's a musical. I cant stand musicals but DT get away with it because the music is good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »
I am pretty dense when it comes to concept albums so I'm going to say, barely understand.

Regardless, the music is pretty damn good, so what evs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »
I voted very well, basically I read through the detail on the website one time and that pretty much made the story very clear.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 01:13:28 PM »
I voted very well, basically I read through the detail on the website one time and that pretty much made the story very clear.

Yup, that's all it really takes.  Actually more effective than reading the lyrics I think.  Add the two and there should be no reason to not understand what's going on.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 03:33:56 PM »
I don't have the slightest clue what's going on in the story. Here's my takeaway after twenty or so listens.

- Nefarious sounds like a dick
- There are rebels who are trying to save, create, or restore something
- Someone slipped away peacefully
- There's a character who has an old iPod and loves it.

Twenty listens and you still can not get the story? Is it the failure of the education system?

No. My education was just fine. I just don't really give a shit about lyrics. James' voice is just another thing making noise. I don't hear the words, just the sounds.

Then why even bother posting in a thread about understanding the story if you purposefully do not bother to give attention to lyrics because you don't give a shit?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2016, 03:36:28 PM »
To be fair, "I'm just in for the music" is one of the poll options.

Still, I find it really weird that someone (and he's certainly not the only one) could just care THAT LESS for lyrics. I guess anyone's entitled to focus on certain aspects of music as they like and disregard the others, just like anyone is entitled to go to the Louvre only for the egyptian section and consider the rest "a bunch of canvas painted over with colors", it's just that seems a bit of a waste...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Calvin6s

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
Then why even bother posting in a thread about understanding the story if you purposefully do not bother to give attention to lyrics because you don't give a shit?
That was one of the options, so why are you ridiculing him for explaining his option?

I've never been a lyric person.  That doesn't mean I haven't appreciated quite a large library of lyrics, but the understanding almost always seems to come without making any effort to listen to the lyrics.  It just sinks in.

But here's another possibility on the just in it for the music option.  We like the music, and understand just enough about the plot that we are somewhat afraid to dive into it for fear of disappointment confirmation.

That's not even a knock on Petrucci.  We all know he writes some great lyrics.  And it is great he went big.  Personally, I think it took the songwriting to a new level.  Coming up with music out of thin air is great, but having a specific goal can be quite a jolt to the whole songwriting process.  He scored big with many and missed with others.  But my final evaluation of the story would be for it to stand on its own.  If this were a movie or book by just some random author, would I be gushing?  No.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2016, 05:09:09 PM »
I too voted "I don't have a clue, I'm just in it for the music. Good vs. evil maybe?"

I'm well aware that there's a story I'm missing, and can work out some of what's going on, but I've been busy as hell lately and just haven't found the time to sit down with the booklet or visit the website.  But I think the music is brilliant, and for right now, that's good enough.  It hasn't left the CD player in my car since I bought it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »
I too am just in it for the music. Not always, there are plenty of albums where the lyrics are immensely important, but not this one.

However, I just recently went and read all of the lyrics to get a better understanding of the story. Really didn't like the story. Really didn't like the lyrics.

Still love the album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2016, 09:19:58 AM »
I don't have the slightest clue what's going on in the story. Here's my takeaway after twenty or so listens.

Twenty listens and you still can not get the story? Is it the failure of the education system?

No. My education was just fine. I just don't really give a shit about lyrics. James' voice is just another thing making noise. I don't hear the words, just the sounds.

Because the thread is about how well you know the story. I don't know it well. My answer was valid. Any more questions?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »

:lol
Because not giving a shit is one of the options if you pick "other" and explain that you happen to not give a shit, or if you're just in it for the music.  Both are open to the opinion of not giving a shit about the story.  I happen to be in the same boat as Chino.  Couldn't care less about the story.  I initially was in it for the music, but in this album's case, I couldn't care less about the music either.  Therefore, I picked "other".
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »
Being the geek fan boy I am, I am now totally well versed and locked in completely to the story line.
I read along on the site, and also went along through the booklet.
I ready for this!
I need to ease up on the album though so I don't burn out.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »
I haven't been able to read all the lyrics along with the album yet or read what's on the site, but from what I understand:

SPOILERS

Gabriel has the gift to sing which can unite the people of the empire
Nafaryus doesn't like that because he can be overthrown
Arhys is Gabriel's brother and has his back, yo
Gabriel and Nafaryus' daughter Faythe fall in love at first sight
Nafaryus definitely doesn't like that
Nafaryus puts a hit on Gabriel, gives him three days to turn himself in
Faythe sneaks into Ravenskill to meet Gabriel
Arhys doesn't like that
Arabella sends Daryus to spy on Faythe
Daryus finds Arhys and blackmails him, his son Xander's life for Gabriel

Act II is a bit cloudy.

Arhys is conflicted.
Something happens at Heaven's Cove
There's some sword fighting. Arhys and Daryus I suppose.
While trying to kill Arhys, Daryus accidentally kills Faythe.
Apparently Gabriel screamed so loud he made Daryus deaf?? I read that on DTF. Haven't heard the lyric yet.
Nafaryus pleads to Gabriel to use his gift to bring her back to life somehow
It actually works
Rejoice!
They build a new world where music isn't shitty robot noises.
The NOMACS are defeated.
Everyone survived!
ROOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Am I close?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »
Well, there are some important details that did not translate correctly. :p

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 09:42:11 AM »
Actually pretty close to being spot on for not reading lyrics/website.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »

I only read the lyrics up to Ravenskill I believe. But that was a couple weeks ago or more.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »

Except for the bit of Faythe being killed, instead of Arhys. I think Arhys' death is pretty easy to grasp in The Path That Divides and especially The Waling Shadow: "What have you done? You murderer! My father's dead!"

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:20 AM »

Except for the bit of Faythe being killed, instead of Arhys. I think Arhys' death is pretty easy to grasp in The Path That Divides and especially The Waling Shadow: "What have you done? You murderer! My father's dead!"

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. Yeah that's pretty clear. Pretty cool metal moment on the album as well.

So, everyone did not survive.... roar.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2016, 09:54:27 AM »
Yeah Zook you got most of it, to be honest.  :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »
Fairly well.  Well enough, at any rate.

There's a Count, and some strange adventures in the countryside.  Then an Egyptian monster went forevermore into the night (blistering?), but everyone survived.

Spoiler alert: JP is the killing hand.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 11:05:28 PM »
I too voted "I don't have a clue, I'm just in it for the music. Good vs. evil maybe?"

I'm well aware that there's a story I'm missing, and can work out some of what's going on, but I've been busy as hell lately and just haven't found the time to sit down with the booklet or visit the website.  But I think the music is brilliant, and for right now, that's good enough.  It hasn't left the CD player in my car since I bought it.

This is me, for the most part, too.  I have not stopped listening since the day it came out and still don't know much about the story. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
I finally brought in the CD case in from the car.  Since the book is attached, I couldn't just bring the book in, and I kinda have a rule that the case needs to stay in the car if the CD is in the car.  So anyway, I finally sat down to read the lyrics and stuff, and I couldn't.

White lettering against sky blue background for the credits.  Really?  Basically invisible.  First page of lyrics, white lettering against light brown?  I flipped through and saw that the other pages had better contrast, but after squinting a bit and tilting the book so the light was just right and didn't glare too much, I got through the first couple of songs and quit.  I'm old.  I don't have the patience (or eyes, apparently) for shit like this.  I guess it's online somewhere; maybe I'll dig around later.  But this was a horrible design choice.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
I finally brought in the CD case in from the car.  Since the book is attached, I couldn't just bring the book in, and I kinda have a rule that the case needs to stay in the car if the CD is in the car.  So anyway, I finally sat down to read the lyrics and stuff, and I couldn't.

White lettering against sky blue background for the credits.  Really?  Basically invisible.  First page of lyrics, white lettering against light brown?  I flipped through and saw that the other pages had better contrast, but after squinting a bit and tilting the book so the light was just right and didn't glare too much, I got through the first couple of songs and quit.  I'm old.  I don't have the patience (or eyes, apparently) for shit like this.  I guess it's online somewhere; maybe I'll dig around later.  But this was a horrible design choice.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw98b2EOpWbQb3BoRzZWOE5QNFU/view

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw98b2EOpWbQb3BoRzZWOE5QNFU/view

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2016, 12:11:29 PM »
Ariich, thanks!

Kotowboy, I'm not sure what your point is.  Are you trying to show that it isn't hard to read that?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »
Nope. if you click on it - it blows up so you can read it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 12:41:19 PM »
How are you supposed to click on a booklet that you cannot remove from the digipak?  Explain that one. :lol :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
How are you supposed to click on a booklet that you cannot remove from the digipak?  Explain that one. :lol :lol
He means if you click the image he posted, it magnifies to a zoomed in level that makes it easier to read. Which it actually does, surprisingly.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
I get that, but putting it in the booklet that way for those of us who bought the actual CDs sucked something awful.  As much attention and detail as they put into the music, it's crazy to think how half-assed the booklet and digipak was (the light print, and stapling the booklet to the inside).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
I get that, but putting it in the booklet that way for those of us who bought the actual CDs sucked something awful.  As much attention and detail as they put into the music, it's crazy to think how half-assed the booklet and digipak was (the light print, and stapling the booklet to the inside).

Indeed, they could have wrote "DT fans suck donkey balls" in the credits and it would have been harder to find than the Morse code in In the Name of God.

Thanks anyway for those who took the time to post the indeed more readable version above!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
Yes, the image is more readable but I'm still missing words here and there.  The words really need to be modified to be able to read them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:46 PM »
I have only made it through the album a couple times, work is way too busy. I don't get the entire story, and haven't even read through the lyrics or the track by track synopsis But I like how everything isn't spelled out A to B to C... in basic storytelling terms. It feels more like a Quadrophenia-type album in that way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bill

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
It's one of those rare CDs where printing the lyrics is not enough, you need the story too. And I agree about the contrast, it's not clever to print white on white, let alone for us oldies!!