Poll

How Well Do You Understand The Story line of The Astonishing?

Very well, I know exactly whats happening at all times when I listen
62 (37.8%)
Fairly well. For the most part I know whats going one when I listen
65 (39.6%)
I sort of follow the plot I think?
12 (7.3%)
Not too well. Its kind of like some Lord of the rings in space type shit isn't it?
8 (4.9%)
I don't have a clue, I'm just in it for the music. Good vs. evil maybe?
14 (8.5%)
Other, please explain
3 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: How Well Do You Understand The Story line of The Astonishing?  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
How Well Do You Understand The Story line of The Astonishing?
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:49:58 AM »
I am curious about this because while I've heard it maybe 6 or 7 times through I not totally clear at all times whats going on. For the most part I get it, but I need to sit and read along to really get it.
My wife did that on night one and she totally gets it. She got emotional listening to it.
So how about you?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline obelix5150

Re: How Well Do You Understand The Story line of The Astonishing?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »
Listening to the lyrics is really the best way to fully understand what's going on. Also there are the cool synopses on the Astonishing website which give even more detail (like what Bug actually is, and sort of what happens to Daryus)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
Tick, did you read the summaries on the main site?  I read through them once, and instantly was able to pick up on most of the plot progression as I was listening, even without reading the lyrics.  The summaries are more helpful than the lyrics and give information the lyrics themselves do not provide.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
When I first listened to the album, I did it while reading the booklet and I understood most of the story. The only 2 things that I didn't understood was what is ''Bug'' and what was ''the new burden'' that Daryus faced. But after reading the song by song description on The Astonishing website I understood those two points. So, I'd say I understand the story well.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:09:04 AM »
Tick, did you read the summaries on the main site?  I read through them once, and instantly was able to pick up on most of the plot progression as I was listening, even without reading the lyrics.  The summaries are more helpful than the lyrics and give information the lyrics themselves do not provide.
I have not. I have been planning on sitting with the booklet and reading along, but I have not had the time to do so, so my understanding is a bit sketchy.
I will check out the main site. It may awhile before I can read along with the booklet
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
I haven't been able to get the album in Mexico so I still don't know the full story, but i will! :metal

So far I've listened to act I on spotify once and read the track notes from the DT website, so at least I've understood the Act I fairly well. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »
I have not. I have been planning on sitting with the booklet and reading along, but I have not had the time to do so, so my understanding is a bit sketchy.
I will check out the main site. It may awhile before I can read along with the booklet

15 minutes or so there will be time well spent in terms of enhancing your subsequent listening experiences.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
To be honest I haven't read it all yet, I'm not sure it will stand up to scrutiny.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »

15 minutes or so there will be time well spent in terms of enhancing your subsequent listening experiences.

Can't agree with this enough. Read the material on the site. Much more in depth and complete than even the lyric booklet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
To be honest I haven't read it all yet, I'm not sure it will stand up to scrutiny.

???

Calvin6s

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
For some reason, the story doesn't interest me at all.  So the "just care about the music" option seemed right for me.  The character pictures turned me off a bit.

From what I gather, it is a Romeo and Juliet meets Footloose plot with some Biblical resurrection at the end.  Throw in some Game of Thrones attire and sci-fi NOMACs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »

Essentially this. Lyrics + Story = full understanding of the plot.

From what I gather, it is a Romeo and Juliet meets Footloose plot with some Biblical resurrection at the end.  Throw in some Game of Thrones attire and sci-fi NOMACs.

Daryus' mistake is straight out of Hamlet, anyway  :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »
When I first listened to the album, I did it while reading the booklet and I understood most of the story. The only 2 things that I didn't understood was what is ''Bug'' and what was ''the new burden'' that Daryus faced. But after reading the song by song description on The Astonishing website I understood those two points. So, I'd say I understand the story well.

I feel exactly the same.

Calvin6s

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
Daryus' mistake is straight out of Hamlet, anyway  :P
Pull Me Under II: Watch the Sparrow Falling

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
Oh, good.  It had been a long time before Calvin showed up to make completely off-base comments in a thread.  The world seems normal again now.  :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
There are Nomacs and a bunch of characters.

That's all I know.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 12:36:32 PM »
I'm on the first poll choice but there are still a few things that doesn't add up even with the website summaries, I think they're probably supposed to be open to interpretations.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
I read the website as I listened the first time.  Pretty easy to follow when doing that.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
Sort of? I know someone dies (maybe more than one idk) but eventually all ends well. And from what I've read on here Daryus loses his ability to listen to music or something  :lol Yea I'm in it for the music.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »
Having listened many times, read the lyrics and also read the information on the website a few times, I feel like I know the story very well now.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
How well I understand the story line? I've been working for the past few weeks on a French translation of the full story (you can read it here : https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2016/02/04/biographies-des-personnages-de-the-astonishing/ even if you don't understand French, you can admire the visual work done ;) ) and now my new task is this :

full translation of the lyrics like a screenplay
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »
If I read along with the album - easy.

When I listen for leisure - I don't pay attention to lyrics.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
The story is not that difficult to follow even without the summaries, or even the booklet for that matter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 08:40:34 PM »
I read the "script" (ie. combo of lyrics and the summaries that went up on the site) before I properly heard the album, so I knew the story fairly well as I listen to it. I don't care enough about lyrics/story to know every little detail
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Billzo

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 03:19:37 AM »
I had listened multiple times without really knowing the details of the story and although instantly falling in love with the musical themes and lyrics, I never really knew this album for what it really was until I read through the track guides on the website.

After reading that, then listening again, everything made total sense and the lyrics became ever more beautiful.

I am now well and truly in love with this album. It's incredible.

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
There are NOMACs, characters called Evangeline, Faythe and Nefayrus and they all go on a big adventure. There's some machines as well that make noise sometimes, and the whole story seems to be something to do with music itself

Definitely on the music only option here! I've never been too interested in stories told through music unless there's a stage and some acting as well i.e. a musical. Even Scenes from a Memory, probably my third favourite album ever. As far as I know that story includes Nicholas and Victoria, a murdered girl (Victoria?), someone going Home and a gunshot

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
My opinion is that if you understand the story, you will enjoy the music more.  The music can stand alone by itself and be great, but when you get the story going on for each track, it starts to make a lot more sense.  The musical themes associated with characters specifically.  The thread on this forum tracking the themes/motifs is really awesome.  Makes me appreciate the music so much more.

Sort of like lyrics in a song.  Bad lyrics don't normally ruin songs for me because I usually enjoy a song for the music, but good lyrics can really elevate a good song into greatness.  The more and more I listen to this album and understand the themes better, the more enjoyment I am getting.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 12:33:13 AM »
The Astonishing feels different when you know where you are storywise while listening. The lyrics are too straightforward to sing along without knowing I think.
That's one opinion because it's a spectacle, in France, our songs are sh*tty descriptive and thought we have an elaborate vocabulary, they feel like written by little children 99% of the time.
Bruno Mars writes poetry compared to our radio songs :(
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 01:55:40 AM »
I tried reading the story again but...it just doesn't work for me I'm afraid; I'll stick to the music.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 06:31:06 AM »
I had a "but did she dieded?" moment regarding Faythe the first time I listened to the album.
No booklet and thus not always knowing which character's (or spirit's) lines it's been.
Other than that it wasn't much of a problem to follow.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline FsF

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:19 PM »
Don't especially follow the story, don't especially care about it. Perhaps in time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »
I don't have the slightest clue what's going on in the story. Here's my takeaway after twenty or so listens.

- Nefarious sounds like a dick
- There are rebels who are trying to save, create, or restore something
- Someone slipped away peacefully
- There's a character who has an old iPod and loves it.

Offline genome

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 07:36:58 AM »
I think someone has 3 days to do something. I'm not sure what though.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 07:49:17 AM »
I don't have the slightest clue what's going on in the story. Here's my takeaway after twenty or so listens.

Twenty listens and you still can not get the story? Is it the failure of the education system?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2016, 08:06:55 AM »

Twenty listens and you still can not get the story? Is it the failure of the education system?

No. My education was just fine. I just don't really give a shit about lyrics. James' voice is just another thing making noise. I don't hear the words, just the sounds.