Author Topic: A Savior in the Square  (Read 4667 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
A Savior in the Square
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:40:08 AM »
Just realized that there isn't a thread for this song.  Not that we NEED a thread for each song, but since we do actually have separate threads for quite a few of them, and since this has been such a standout song for me since I got my first album teaser a few months back, I thought I'd start one.

To me, this may be one of the most "typical DT-sounding" songs on the album.  But that does not stop it from being a standout track.  I love how it starts off with the pomp of the arrival of the Imperial Family, but then shifts to soft piano at the end to set up the transition to When Your Time Has Come (which I also really love).  In fact, let me just say that I pretty much love everything about this song.

Once we got the entire album and I can now better put it into context of the entire story, I like it even more.  Before the album dropped and we did not have a clear picture of the plot, I would not have imagined that, so early in the story, Nafaryus would have been aware of Gabriel and would have publicly gone to visit him.  That was not at all where I thought the story was going.  But it is actually a pretty cool setup for the conflict, and it works well within the context of the song. 

Now for a bit of other interesting plot/lyric analysis, which I posted in another thread.  This may be completely wrong in terms of what was intended, but I think it works really well in any case:

Along similar lines, it hit me that Savior in the Square as a song title has a double meaning.  I mean, who is the "savior" that it is referring to?  The obvious answer is Gabriel.  But I think it also perhaps refers to Faythe.  From a literary standpoint, she fits the "savior" role.  Notwithstanding Gabriel's miraculous power, she is the one who ultimately takes the actions that avert war, which saves countless lives.  And in the process, she inadvertently sacrifices her own life, only to be "resurrected" by the hymn of 1,000 voices as the people rediscover the power of music.  Not sure whether JP intended the "savior" title to refer to her, but it certainly fits, and fits rather well. 

Anyhow, whether or not anyone agrees with the bit about the song title, discuss away.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: A Savior in the Square
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »
This is one of those songs that doesn't work that well on its own due to the wealth of ideas but on the context of the plot it works wonders. I love how to love theme sneaks up in the end of the songs and how it helps introduce When Your Time Has Come. Great stuff.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:47:09 AM »
I really like this song a lot, and it was one of the first I heard before I got the full album.

The guitar lead at the start over the acoustic section is catchy and has a nice vibe to it. Then the pompous trumpet bit leading into a good heavy section, and then it gets really epic once it hits "brother worry not today". That change is just awesome, along with that whole outro. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
I loved this song ever since I first heard it. To me, the first minute and a half is the most beautiful musical passage they've done since Hell's Kitchen.

''But silence quickly falls as Lord Nafaryus arrives''  :metal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
It has the best Nafaryus line:

"Please don't stop on my account"

What an arrogant SOB!

And the Daryus line is gold too:

"Do as my father says!"

What an ass!

And bosk, the song does not start with the pompous entrance. It starts with the most beautiful guitar intro in the album. ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
And bosk, the song does not start with the pompous entrance. It starts with the most beautiful guitar intro in the album. ;)

Oh, I know.  I wasn't talking about the literal beginning of the song, but focusing more generally on the first major "movement" of the song as a whole.  Sorry if my not being more precise was a bit confusing.  You are correct.

And I also love those two lines you pointed out in the lyrics.  I like James' vocal delivery on those as well.  IMO, he really sells those lines.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »
Love this song, "I will share my music and they will soon be on their way" gave me chills cause it made me think of the Dream Theater concerts I've been to and how I always left wishing they played more and it was too soon done.
"So I'll treat them all to sonic ecstasy", that's JP talking IMO  :)
The horses are the only downside if I have to find one, far in the distant future where hovering drones transmit sound waves to sooth/suppress human emotions; the emperor travels on a horse..

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
I love the horses. It makes the royal family more arrogant. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »

It's not a big deal, but that line bothered me slightly from the start. It just came across as a little arrogant for him to say that. As I said, not a big deal worth arguing over though.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »
Before the album dropped and we did not have a clear picture of the plot, I would not have imagined that, so early in the story, Nafaryus would have been aware of Gabriel and would have publicly gone to visit him.  That was not at all where I thought the story was going.

Neither did I. To me, Nafaryus and Gabriel would have met much later, maybe at the end of the second Act, in some sort of battle or violent event.

Also: hello, Bosk. I browsed through this forum for more than 2 years, and as far as I can tell, you are some sort of legend here.

The horses are the only downside if I have to find one, far in the distant future where hovering drones transmit sound waves to sooth/suppress human emotions; the emperor travels on a horse..

Never noticed the horses! I guess I'll pay more attention next time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »

It's not a big deal, but that line bothered me slightly from the start. It just came across as a little arrogant for him to say that.

True, but as often happens in musicals where a lot of the exposition comes in the form of lines sung by the characters, I think perhaps that is done for the benefit of further explaining to the audience that his gift of music is something that is actually supernatural and isn't merely "he is born a gifted musician."  In a perfect world, that is shown by a narrator and through plot exposition rather than having his character just tell us; but, again, as if often the case in this sort of storytelling format, not every plot detail is executed in a way that ultimately may have been the most optimal.  Heck, that's why they have early screenings of movies, so that the writers can get feedback from people who are not emotionally invested in the film to see which of their ideas actually work as intended, and which ones need to be retooled.  There just isn't really the opportunity to do that in the music industry with the budgets and time constrains musicians work under.  They would basically have to demo the entire album, have listening parties with several focus groups, and then take that feedback, rework the album, and then re-record it.  That just isn't happening. 

Anyway, probably too much of a tangent, but I just got going and couldn't stop myself, so...  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »

It's not a big deal, but that line bothered me slightly from the start. It just came across as a little arrogant for him to say that.

True, but as often happens in musicals where a lot of the exposition comes in the form of lines sung by the characters, I think perhaps that is done for the benefit of further explaining to the audience that his gift of music is something that is actually supernatural and isn't merely "he is born a gifted musician."  In a perfect world, that is shown by a narrator and through plot exposition rather than having his character just tell us; but, again, as if often the case in this sort of storytelling format, not every plot detail is executed in a way that ultimately may have been the most optimal.  Heck, that's why they have early screenings of movies, so that the writers can get feedback from people who are not emotionally invested in the film to see which of their ideas actually work as intended, and which ones need to be retooled.  There just isn't really the opportunity to do that in the music industry with the budgets and time constrains musicians work under.  They would basically have to demo the entire album, have listening parties with several focus groups, and then take that feedback, rework the album, and then re-record it.  That just isn't happening. 

Anyway, probably too much of a tangent, but I just got going and couldn't stop myself, so...  :lol

Yeah, as I said, not a big deal. It just felt like Ahrys was the one most confident in Gabriel's talents, with Gabriel being a bit more humble about whether or not he was really all that. But then he was like "I shall treat you all to sonic ecstasy, because you only know the top 40 mainstream NOMAC stuff".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 09:26:14 AM »
Also: hello, Bosk. I browsed through this forum for more than 2 years, and as far as I can tell, you are some sort of legend here.

Well, hello.  :)

I wouldn't say "legend."  :lol  I just think that when you have a large online community like this, whoever is in charge of running it probably gets an undue amount of focus sometimes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
"I shall treat you all to sonic ecstasy, because you only know the top 40 mainstream NOMAC stuff".

:rollin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 09:37:16 AM »
This track is one of my favorites as well. I love the line "please don't stop on my account". I just picture Nafaryus so damn suave as he says that. The line "DO AS MY FATHER SAYS" is also really cool. I'm not sure who says that, but I hope it's Faythe.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
The line "DO AS MY FATHER SAYS" is also really cool. I'm not sure who says that, but I hope it's Faythe.

I think that's Daryus actually.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 10:29:06 AM »
The best intro on the album. It gets me every time. The clean guitar melody gets stuck in my head every time I hear it. The heavy riff is perfect for Nefaryus' lines. The applause transition into WYTHC is perfect. The whole three song run from Nefaryus through When Your Time Has Come is just killer. Definitely a highlight of both acts.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 10:30:37 AM »

I wouldn't say "legend."  :lol  I just think that when you have a large online community like this, whoever is in charge of running it probably gets an undue amount of focus sometimes.

Mr. 1: The man, the legend.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 02:16:17 PM »
The line "DO AS MY FATHER SAYS" is also really cool. I'm not sure who says that, but I hope it's Faythe.

That's not at all as cool, but it works I guess.

Offline rab7

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 02:23:59 PM »

That's not at all as cool, but it works I guess.
At this point, Faythe is still in awe at the shitty conditions the villagers have to live in. Also, nothing about her character seems like she'd ever say that.

Also, it makes more sense when you see the Track descriptions:

"After an uncomfortable pause, Prince Daryus looks at Gabriel and with a threatening tone says, 'Do as my father says…savior!'"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »
Haven't read any track descriptions.

I was hoping Faythe was the one to say that because it makes it a change in her as a character when she turns, which makes for an at least somewhat more interesting arc. It would show that she was raised as a spoiled child, as she totally would be, but still eager to hear Gabriel sing since she's had her music player a while and wants to hear it for real.

Also I thought it was Faythe becuase LaBrie sings it so high.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
This track followed by WYTHC was my "Oh yeah, I'm all in" moment on first listen to this album.  I love the stylistic range in this song, which all feels motivated by the drama.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »
@BlackInk:  But there is nothing to indicate that her character would have ever acted that way.  It fits Daryus' character to a tee and sets up that is content in the role of his father's lackey because he wants his father's approval.  It would not have made sense for it to have been Faythe.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »
The intro to this song is beautiful and I wish it went on for another 5 minutes...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »
The applause transition into WYTHC is perfect.

I rememeber I first listened to the song when it was uploaded to the official YouTube channel, so I didn't have the lyrics. I first thought that song was some sort of flashback to Arhys' and Evangeline's wedding. The applause, the people cheering, the happy vibe of the music...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »

Well, I lurked a lot during the Spring/Summer of 2013, when the self-titled album was about to be released. If I remember correctly, one Noxon was asked a lot about his opinion on the album (he had been given a copy, but wasn't sure what to think about it, right?), and one Weymolith was in charge of the chat with the band, with fans sending questions.

So you, BlobVanDam, those other guys... they were the names I read the most here, so I always thought you were all a legend in one way or another.

Anyway, happy to join.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Along similar lines, it hit me that Savior in the Square as a song title has a double meaning.  I mean, who is the "savior" that it is referring to?  The obvious answer is Gabriel.  But I think it also perhaps refers to Faythe.  From a literary standpoint, she fits the "savior" role.  Notwithstanding Gabriel's miraculous power, she is the one who ultimately takes the actions that avert war, which saves countless lives.  And in the process, she inadvertently sacrifices her own life, only to be "resurrected" by the hymn of 1,000 voices as the people rediscover the power of music.  Not sure whether JP intended the "savior" title to refer to her, but it certainly fits, and fits rather well. 
I'll stretch it a bit more and make it cornier: Not only they serve both as saviors of the Northern Empire, but also Saviors from each other. Faythe inspired Gabriel and helped him to be sure of himself, to really make him believe that a change and a revolution is possible through him. Gabriel showed Faythe the other side of a world she thought she knew, as well as revealing her the power of Music she had discovered as a child. Both were described as being lost and isolated until they saw their Savior in the Square.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:01 PM »
The soft piano line after the dissonant section (3:30 or so) is one of the most beautiful short and sweet piano moments on the entire album. It's as if time is slowing down as Gabriel's eyes fall on Faythe, and he is captivated by her beauty.

In fact, this whole track plays out like a soundtrack to a movie scene - very perfectly, I must say.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 10:21:54 PM »
I'll stretch it a bit more and make it cornier: Not only they serve both as saviors of the Northern Empire, but also Saviors from each other. Faythe inspired Gabriel and helped him to be sure of himself, to really make him believe that a change and a revolution is possible through him. Gabriel showed Faythe the other side of a world she thought she knew, as well as revealing her the power of Music she had discovered as a child. Both were described as being lost and isolated until they saw their Savior in the Square.

Then it should be Saviors in the Square.  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 10:44:54 PM »
@BlackInk:  But there is nothing to indicate that her character would have ever acted that way.  It fits Daryus' character to a tee and sets up that is content in the role of his father's lackey because he wants his father's approval.  It would not have made sense for it to have been Faythe.

Well, when I thought that it was Faythe saying that there were definetely a sign that she would. But yeah, if it's not then there's no sign.

I don't know, I just thought the line sounded cooler in my head when it was supposed to be delivered by this young girl.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:51 AM »

It's not a big deal, but that line bothered me slightly from the start. It just came across as a little arrogant for him to say that. As I said, not a big deal worth arguing over though.
Always bothered me a little bit too. It helps to think of his comment more as a slight against the Imperial family (given "they only know the noise machines") and less as arrogance.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges