Author Topic: 2016-4-22 - Tower Theater - Philadelphia  (Read 7911 times)

Offline countoftuscany42

2016-4-22 - Tower Theater - Philadelphia
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »
Just saw that this show was announced, surprised it came so late from the others: https://concerts.livenation.com/event/02005044828D1D1A?c=LNSM_CT_PhiladelphiaTT_DreamTheater_fb_ss_020816

Already have a ticket for RCMH the next day, so i guess i'll be doing two shows in a row just like last tour  :metal
There's a presale wednesday at 10am, code: AWARDS

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Re: 2016-4-22 - Tower Theater - Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the code :tup

Offline Rkeister

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »
15 seconds to go

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
Thanks for the code. I picked up a pair of 12th row (GG) center tickets, and have no clue who the 2nd ticket will go for. If someone is interested let me know.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
Almost got a 4th row center ticket, but it got snapped up before I could get it. I'll try the mobile presale tomorrow but I'll probably just have the best luck on the public sale Friday

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
If you don't do any better than what I got I'll be looking for someone for my extra ticket.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »
I've got two tickets for this show and won't be able to make it cause I lost my job and can't afford flying to PA, pm me if interested.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »
I'm very excited for tonight  :metal

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 05:22:41 AM »
Reviews? I notice some of these threads have WAY more anticipatory posts before the show than review posts after the show. Is this a matter of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything"? We want reviews! Okay well at least I do. :)
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »
Well, it was my first Dream Theater show. First real concert for that matter. Overall, it was fantastic. Seeing the whole album live was an absolutely incredible experience and made me love the album even more. The music really does work better as performance experience, I think.

Most of my complaints are about the venue and are fairly nit-picky. Painfully overpriced concessions, seats super tiny and uncomfortable, things like that.

Other than that, the crowd didn't feel super...into it. People barely stood. There was cheering between songs, and a little bit of singing along. Primarily during some of the more anthemic songs, such as Brother Can You Hear Me? and Our New World.  Other than that, it seemed kinda flat. On one hand, I feel like it wasn't a traditional concert and it wasn't super out of place. But on there other hand, DT didn't seem to play to the crowd as much as I've seen them do on some live DVDs.

For the most part, they sounded fantastic. James had a really on night. However the mix wasn't great. The bass drums were very loud and boomy, instead of tight and punchy. It made the individual hits hard to hear, especially during fast sections, such as the end of Three Days. The cymbals also seemed to be mixed too loud, at times making the whole thing feel washed out and overpowering everything else. Myung was also very hard to hear a lot of the time, due largely to the bass drums. But even in quieter parts where there wasn't much going on besides bass and maybe guitar or keys, he was still very quiet. Ruddess and Petrucci were fantastic though.

Overall, It was a great experience and I cannot wait for them to come back through. I wish I could see The Astonishing Live again, and I'll see whatever they do on the next leg of the tour if I can.

On an unrelated note, my Uber driver that picked us up to take us home was drunk. Added an extra fun experience to the night.