Author Topic: Have you ever tested your IQ?  (Read 4681 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Have you ever tested your IQ?
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »
Creationists ::)

What, you mean those people who bang on and on and on about their beliefs and shut down any intelligent conversation and are only ever on the offensive ?

Oh no that's atheists.

That's any extreme group of any people. Not atheists. Not religious people. Not this, not that. Just extreme people who don't tolerate other opinions. They come in all shapes and sizes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 04:04:37 PM »
Especially Vegans.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »
Especially Vegans.  :biggrin:

Haha yes.

Seth MacFarlane is like the American Ricky Gervais. Actively despises anyone with a religious belief.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
I find creationism a pretty ridiculous idea, but I wouldn't say that people who believe it have any difference in intelligence than anyone else.  Many are smarter than I am for sure, because some of the arguments would stump me.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 10:25:54 PM »
I'm sure Family Guy is just mocking those extreme creationists :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 10:49:12 PM »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:13 PM »
I'm just curious if anyone ever got theirs tested. I didn't ever pay too much attention to it until one night a little while back when I was bored and figured what the hell.

Seeing what the result was, really brought a lot of things into perspective about my life. It is 124 and stuff that seems really obvious to me isn't so obvious to other people, like my family, who I've never been able to relate to. Seeing what the result is has basically made me just chill out and not get frustrated with other people for not understanding things right away.

If anyone is curious. This test is 30 mins and 57 questions. Free too of course. There's other ones all over the net as well if people don't like this one.

https://www.queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=3108

And here's a general pic of the scale

I took that test on queendom.com and got a 154 which is in the 99.8 percentile. The test is mainly measuring crystallized intelligence which I believe focuses mostly on verbal and comprehension skills. It does focus on some fluid intelligence which is pattern recognition and such, but there was more reading comprehension on the test.

Offline Cable

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »
I find creationism a pretty ridiculous idea, but I wouldn't say that people who believe it have any difference in intelligence than anyone else.  Many are smarter than I am for sure, because some of the arguments would stump me.

This balances closely into a P/R... Ben Carson probably has a higher IQ, and he believes in creationism.
---

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:27 PM »
I took mine and they told me I was extremely gifted, rare and special.

Then I went to a room filled with these awesome toys, building blocks and perpetual Spongebob Squarepants playing on the television. It was awesome.
That was, what, last week?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »
Just did that online IQ test, first one I've done in at least about 10-15 years. Got a 124, which sounds about right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 10:03:24 PM »
I just did it and got 42. Now life, the universe, and everything makes sense :smiley:

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 03:10:14 AM »
I just did it and got 42. Now life, the universe, and everything makes sense :smiley:
:hat
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 07:05:20 AM »

This balances closely into a P/R... Ben Carson probably has a higher IQ, and he believes in creationism.

And let's not get sloppy with our words, okay? There are many forms of "creationism", including at least one that fully and totally embraces the process that we now know of as evolution.   It's not all "10,000 years ago, in seven days and with a flash of light, here we are!"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »

And let's not get sloppy with our words, okay? There are many forms of "creationism", including at least one that fully and totally embraces the process that we now know of as evolution.   It's not all "10,000 years ago, in seven days and with a flash of light, here we are!"

I think you mean 6000 years. That's the laughable one that some Christians try to pass off as legit and rational.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:20:35 PM by Prog Snob »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 11:37:05 AM »
What was before The Big Bang ? has the universe always been there ? Was it just an empty void ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »

I believe in God and i try to be a good person. End of. Full stop. I don't read the bible and I have no idea about how long we've been here etc.

Also I hate the cliche that religious people *hate* and avoid science. Like if you are religious or believe in a God - you can't possibly agree with science.

Total nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:44:33 PM by Kotowboy »

Online Adami

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »

I believe in God and i try to be a good person. End of. Full stop. I don't read the bible and I have no idea about how long we've been here etc.

Also I hate the cliche that religious people *hate* and avoid science. Like if you are religious or believe in a God - you can't possibly agree with science.

Total nonsense.

Not to go even further off topic, but I've noticed you spend a lot of time on here arguing against extreme things that you've clearly read elsewhere and that no one here is saying.

Not that any of this has to do with IQ. IQ measures a lot of things, but critical thinking is generally not one of them. You can have a super high IQ and believe whatever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
Well I do visit other websites than DTF. :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »

I would hope so. I just don't know why you get so worked up over people having weird and extreme opinions. I'd imagine it'd just get exhausting. There are extremists of every color, creed and belief system, and they all post on Youtube. Best to just ignore it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 05:12:04 PM »
I think mine is somewhere in the 140s. I remember solving Mensa type problems (in games magazine) around age 9 or 10.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 06:53:42 AM »
I know i'd be either pig shit thick or woefully painfully average.

Like the exact score which says " nothing about you is special in any way ".

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
Heresy.

Calvin6s

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »
IQ scores work the same as golf scores, right?  I'm a genie.

I know i'd be either pig shit thick or woefully painfully average.

Like the exact score which says " nothing about you is special in any way ".

Average in this case is a nice draw:
660 / IQ = penis size in inches
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:51:18 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:07 PM »
ok, wading back in here...

TV was dead-on about high IQ correlating to shitty study skills.  I studied a grand total of five minutes in high school, and still managed straight As.  In addition for it setting me up to get hit by a truck in college (studying chemistry at a top 25 uni), it also made me think that perfection was the bare minimum, and anything less meant I was a failure...my sense of self was very tied in with being "smart".  So, I spent most of my junior year battling acute depression with occasional suicide ideation.  Good times.  Fortunately, I somehow got straightened out somewhat, had a healthier attitude towards grad school (where the idea of "perfect" doesn't mean all that much), and am now kicking ass professionally because I am a good strategist, can break down situations very quickly, and have really worked at my soft skills.

To Stadler's point about strategic thinking...that is really a critical aspect.  It really gets to abstract thought...which is sort of a proxy for how "intelligence" is often defined.  It's not how much information you have in the memory banks, it's quick application of that in new situations.  At leasy by the Jungian definition, about 20% of people are abstract thinkers, and maybe a quarter of those have the other traits that all add up to being a true strategic thinking...right on with that 5% figure.

i hope that makes sense...I've been drinking.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14:13 PM »
TV was dead-on about high IQ correlating to shitty study skills.  I studied a grand total of five minutes in high school, and still managed straight As.  In addition for it setting me up to get hit by a truck in college (studying chemistry at a top 25 uni), it also made me think that perfection was the bare minimum, and anything less meant I was a failure...my sense of self was very tied in with being "smart".  So, I spent most of my junior year battling acute depression with occasional suicide ideation.  Good times.
This sounds exactly like my college experience. I did not enjoy myself.