Author Topic: Have you ever tested your IQ?  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Have you ever tested your IQ?
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:21:21 AM »
I'm just curious if anyone ever got theirs tested. I didn't ever pay too much attention to it until one night a little while back when I was bored and figured what the hell.

Seeing what the result was, really brought a lot of things into perspective about my life. It is 124 and stuff that seems really obvious to me isn't so obvious to other people, like my family, who I've never been able to relate to. Seeing what the result is has basically made me just chill out and not get frustrated with other people for not understanding things right away.

If anyone is curious. This test is 30 mins and 57 questions. Free too of course. There's other ones all over the net as well if people don't like this one.

https://www.queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=3108

And here's a general pic of the scale

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Have you ever tested your IQ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 04:27:57 AM »
Seeing what the result was, really brought a lot of things into perspective about my life. It is 124 and stuff that seems really obvious to me isn't so obvious to other people, like my family, who I've never been able to relate to. Seeing what the result is has basically made me just chill out and not get frustrated with other people for not understanding things right away.
It's great that it made you chill out but I really wouldn't put to much faith in a test like that, they are generally not very reliable. And you also shouldn't use it as a reason for not being able to relate to your family. IQ is just a number, sure it gaves a vague impresson of how "smart" a person is, but there is a lot more to it than that.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:04:20 AM »
IQ means fuck all.

* I know i'll be average anyway - everything else about me is average :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:56:55 AM »
IQ means fuck all.

I wouldn't say it means entirely fuck all, but it's a very narrow test that only tests certain aspects of "intelligence", and imo isn't particularly practical. I think it's a bit antiquated in today's world, and there are just as many types of (what I could class as) intelligence that I think are very difficult if not impossible to test by such clear objective means. Which totally sounds like a cop out answer to dismiss IQ test results. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:02:04 AM »
I was briefly a dues paying member of Mensa while I was in college. My IQ on two separate tests was 154, and 148. I'm not sure how many now, but at that time, Mensa accepted results from more than 100 or so sources. It's probably more now for sure. But most of those online tests aren't actual standardized tests.

I can't say for me specifically if IQ played a role in my ability to "fit in". I have read conflicting view points on this. I did not have access to gifted programs when I was growing up. Many of these types of accelerated learning opportunities didn't really exist during my formative years in the 1960's. As a result, I was pretty bored with school up until college; and as a result, I often struggled. An example of this is the fact that when I started elementary school, I had a high school reading comprehension level. So "Dick and Jane" bored me to tears. As a result, I was a fairly lazy student.

Going back to the "fitting in" thing, I think my problem solving ability certainly had an impact on how I viewed the world, but I don't think it played into too much of how I interacted with others. I think the thing that impacted that the most was the fact that my father was in the military. A consequence of that was constant moving and relocation. I was always "the new kid"; so I had to learn to quickly adapt to, and observe my surroundings. I once calculated that despite spending the last three years of high school in the same place, I attended 14 different schools through grade 12. As a result, I developed an almost supernatural ability to analyze and evaluate people and situations. To all of my friends and family, this ability is often uncanny. I'm not as a rule a judgmental person, but my powers of observation are hyper sensitive. Did IQ play a role in that? Perhaps. But I think my surroundings and environment had more to do with fostering that ability than anything else. As a writer, that ability has served me very well. And in social situations, my chameleon-like ability to find my place and interact, pays off in ways I can't even begin to measure. I've used it to my advantage countless times. But, again, I'm not sure IQ plays into that, even though it's also an extreme example of problem solving ability.

IQ is really just a number. It's definitely not an indicator of success. It doesn't measure curiosity. It definitely is not a measure of creativity. For me personally, my high IQ got in my way. Like I said, being bored in school caused me to develop some pretty poor study habits, that weren't easy to overcome.

I try and downplay it as much as possible too, because people put too much emphasis on it. It doesn't make you a better or more successful person. But a lot of people attach this stigma to it. I used to work with an attorney who was always trying to challenge me. It didn't take long before I altogether quit playing his game. He'd get all giddy when he tossed some ridiculous random question my way, and I didn't know the answer. Really? Why? Having a high IQ doesn't mean you're the keeper of all the knowledge. I also used to date someone years ago who used to throw it up in my face whenever we argued, and for no fucking reason. "Oh, you're sooo smart. You just think you're better than everyone else, don't you?" Uh, no. WTF? I have NEVER felt that way. And a lot of people share that opinion of people with high IQs. It can be pretty hurtful. Especially considering it's just a number that basically indicates how well you can take a damn test. It doesn't really mean anything.

And considering that some studies claim that genius and insanity are closely related, why the fuck would you even want to be jealous of my IQ? Who wants to be a tortured genius? It ain't easy.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:10:59 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:04:43 AM »
I say this as someone who tested near-genius, when tested in a well-controlled setting with the validated test at the correct age (~8)...don't rely too much on that number, there are so many things that mean WAY much more.  I'm not going to say it means nothing (as it clearly does*), but your upbringing, educational experiences, and social-economic status all have a massive impact on your intellect, and intellect is worthless if you don't have the emotional skills and self-awareness not to fuck it up, and actually put it to good use.

I think you're wrestling more with a temperament issue...i'm guessing you tend to think abstractly, and your family very concretely (or, in Jungian terms, you're intuitive, they're sensing).

*but those online tests do mean fuck-all)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »
I already know i'm a genius...

I must be as it's well known that all geniuses are miserable bastards :neverusethis:

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:08 AM »
I took an IQ test in college after arranging an official test with my psychology professor. Apparently you need some sort of license or certification to administer the test. I scored a 129.

When I get some free time, I'll take the test in the OP and see how I do.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »
I test my IQ every day that I moderate here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 06:31:31 AM »

:lol You're doing great so far.

Me, not so much.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 06:33:07 AM »

Amen! Some days mine falls below 60!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 06:35:28 AM »
My x was a school psychologist and while she was getting her doctorate, she would practice administering different types of IQ tests on me.  I really hated doing these, the tests are so damn annoying and long. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 06:46:05 AM »

Amen! Some days mine falls below 60!

That's ironic since Hef posts like he IS 60 :neverusethis: :tick:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »
Also had mine tested in a controlled environment when I was a wee lad (I was the world's worst student so they spent weeks testing me to ascertain why). I believe the classification system they used back then categorized me as highly gifted. I do know that as a youngster it mostly made me far more obnoxious than I already was. 

I've taken a couple of online tests. One had me right at the level the hospital did back around '80 or so, and another had me about 10 points higher.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:05:41 AM »
Well, also a dues-paying member of MENSA (as soon as I send that check in...), and I disagree that it means "fuck-all".   It doesn't mean much in terms of the number itself, but in terms of communication and relating and finding common ground, it means a whole lot.

You know that guy that "played dumb" to fit in?  That was me; I had a hard time when I was younger in communicating, and would often just nod my head at things.  Then high school came and I was in the smart classes, but played sports, so I had sort of a "dual personality" if that makes sense.    It wasn't until college when I started to look into these things and take an interest in psychology that it started to make sense:  people think differently.   Sometimes VERY differently, and if you're not communicating with them in a manner that is conducive to the way THEY think - as opposed to the way YOU think - you are destined for failure.

There's another test, created, refined, and administered by the Army (through it's Corps. of Engineers branch) that measures "strategic thinking".   And it's been found that while everyone SAYS they are a strategic thinker, only about 5% of the population truly is (the rest are tactical thinkers, and the "strategic" in that group are just those that can think more steps ahead than the rest).

That was the real insight.  Once I understood that, communicating became almost easy, because it allowed me to frame whatever it is I wanted to say in a manner that was at least reasonably conducive to being received.  It's always a combination of things, and "intelligence" is a part of that (however measured) but only a part.   

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »
I scored a 120 (20 years old). I enjoy a lot of these types of questions. Like the riddle type questions (If Jim is older than Barbara, but Sally is older than Tom (that type) are pretty fun for me. I struggled with the earliest questions, the puzzle pattern type.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »
I'm sort of like Stadler.  I could be a member of MENSA if I wanted to, but it doesn't appeal to me.

I didn't really act all smart in grade school; in fact, being smart is a good way to get picked on.  Grade school is the last place you really want to "stand out," so I spent most of my young life trying to hide it.  Although sometimes I just couldn't.  My grades were terrible, but I got picked to attend a lot of those inter-scholastic science/math/spelling competitions, and I won first place city-wide (in a somewhat large city) in a few, and was the runner-up in others.  I always stood out in science and math, but music class as well.  High school was the same; I didn't really get great grades, and by senior year, I was doing "bad" stuff like getting stoned and/or drunk.  I was offered an honors track at the college I got into based on my ACT/SAT scores, but I declined.

It wasn't until I got an extremely boring, unchallenging corporate job when I realized that I had to apply myself and act smart.  But I subsequently went to grad school at the wrong time, and graduated into a terrible job market, and have been struggling ever since.  I probably would have been better off staying at my old job and just sticking it out--financially at least.

IQ is a useful measure, as it generally correlates with positive life outcomes, such as more success at your job, more stable interpersonal relationships (including marriage), better at managing personal finances, etc.  But it's far from a perfect correlation; in fact, at best, it explains maybe 25% of the variance in these factors.  So obviously, other factors come into play, even though 25% as a single factor is more significant than any other independent variable people have found.  It also loses some predictability once you get to a certain point--if you go any higher, it ceases to show additional correlation except in highly specialized fields.  For example, a 160 isn't much better than a 120 for most jobs, but a 120 would be more helpful than a 100 (the approximate population mean).  160 might make it even harder for some jobs--let's just say that, in a completely hypothetical situation that never actually happened to me, you have a boss that's somewhat insecure and of very modest intelligence, it becomes hard to follow directions from someone duller than you especially if their insecurity makes it impossible for you to sincerely but constructively suggest better ways to do things even if you are right in the end.  Again, completely hypothetical situation there.  Such situations, though, may only make your work relationship worse, and you might just mentally check out and end up quitting and doing something else.  Not all jobs are a good fit for independent-minded people.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »
I recently went to get my IQ tested and afterwads teh doctor told me " i had one " so that's a relief :)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
I was tested at about 7 or 8 years old and came a point or two below what was considered gifted, which I think was 130.  I was placed in the higher level math and reading classes in grammar school (grades 1-6) and eventually placed in the "advanced track" classes when i went to junior high/high school in 7th grade (it was all one school).  My maturity didn't match my intellect, and I badly wanted out of the advanced classes.  My parents relented and I was in the regular classes for the rest of high school.  I think that had a bigger impact on my social and personal development than on my intellectual development; I seemed to have more fun and more in common with the students in the advanced classes than in the regular classes.  I went from somewhat hyperactive and extroverted to the complete opposite the following year.  This could also be attributed to puberty, etc.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
I took mine and they told me I was extremely gifted, rare and special.

Then I went to a room filled with these awesome toys, building blocks and perpetual Spongebob Squarepants playing on the television. It was awesome.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »
Well, I've bought The Road of Bones and Frequency...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »
:coolio I don't need an IQ test.

I Understood " Inception ".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
So... it's sort of my thing to point out patterns and trends...  and it seems to me that not only is no one here challenged in any way when it comes to measured intelligence, but there isn't even anyone here that is merely "average". 

Good for us, no?  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »
The Metallica and Mastodon forums however.....Hoooo Boy.

:lol

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
I was in a gifted program in school, but I never put a lot of stock in IQ tests.

Don't forget the reason they were created: Not to test someone's intelligence (whatever that actually means... what kind of intelligence) but as a system to help the French government figure out where to put people with newly introduced public schooling. A sixteen year old child of a farmer was a lot more likely to be illiterate than the eight year old child of a merchant. That's why it's Intelligence Quotient. It's your 'mental age' divided by your real age, times 100.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »
Well, also a dues-paying member of MENSA (as soon as I send that check in...), and I disagree that it means "fuck-all".   It doesn't mean much in terms of the number itself, but in terms of communication and relating and finding common ground, it means a whole lot.

You know that guy that "played dumb" to fit in?  That was me; I had a hard time when I was younger in communicating, and would often just nod my head at things.  Then high school came and I was in the smart classes, but played sports, so I had sort of a "dual personality" if that makes sense.    It wasn't until college when I started to look into these things and take an interest in psychology that it started to make sense:  people think differently.   Sometimes VERY differently, and if you're not communicating with them in a manner that is conducive to the way THEY think - as opposed to the way YOU think - you are destined for failure.

I can totally relate. I used to get picked on because I was smart. In high school, I really got into sports, and things changed very quickly. I also had to adapt the "dual personality" thing. Like I mentioned I think in part because we moved around so much. But back in the day, there were three basic social groups of kids in my high school. Nerds, Jocks, and Freaks. I was part of all three. I excelled on the football team. I was very tight with and hung a lot with the "Nerd" group; and I got high and partied with the Freaks. I didn't really have too many close relationships, because getting too close made me vulnerable maybe; or perhaps it would have meant I had to choose a side. I liked all three. But despite that, everyone knew me. I was a high school social polymath as a result.  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »
I'm actually being trained to administer the WAIS-IV, the standard IQ test. Since I know how to give it, I'm not allowed to take it.

Now I don't know much about these online tests, but they can't test for half the stuff the actual IQ test does. And I can say that the real IQ test is quite well rounded. It might not match up with your personal or my personal definition of intelligence, but it measures a lot of different things.

Actually going to administer it for the 3rd time on Friday. It's a fun test to give. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »
I took one on high school. Can't remember my result, tho.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 10:58:23 PM »
I've never taken an IQ test formally.

Just did this one online, in a bit of a rush, and was surprised at how high the score was. Not going to place much, if any, trust in it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
I've never taken a formal or official IQ test, but I've taken several of them online, with results ranging from 125-150.  On this one in particular I scored a 137. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 12:11:59 AM »
I think this advice will serve me well  :corn

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »
I took an online test when I was fairly young and scored 150+. I don't trust those results for a second. It would be cool to take an actual IQ test someday, but I'm sure as hell not paying for it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 12:22:20 AM »
Speaking of which, if anyone of you live in the Los Angeles area and want (and can commit to) a free formal IQ test (along with a few other assessments) in a few months, it would do me a great favor as I have to give them for school.

Any takers? Free gift cards as compensation. :-D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
I'mma scared.

This reminds me of when Peter Griifin took an IQ test and found he was retarded, so he used it as an excuse for doing stupid things.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
Creationists ::)

What, you mean those people who bang on and on and on about their beliefs and shut down any intelligent conversation and are only ever on the offensive ?

Oh no that's atheists.