Author Topic: Chosen  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Rickharris1011

Chosen
« on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »
We've already had a couple of song threads...so I thought I would bring up Chosen. 

When I first heard this song, I thought to myself "wow, totally cheesy 80's power ballad that I can skip if I'm pressed for time to get to 'A Tempting Offier'"  Then I heard it a couple of more times and thought - hey this is a great 80's power ballad.  Then a couple of more times, and now it's not only one of my favorites.  It's the only song I hit repeat every time it ends. 

It's got so much going on for what initially seemed to be a simple song - that great effect on JP's piano in the beginning, out of this world big hooks, the genesis style groove in the bridge under "I'm convinced without all doubt", MM's playing during the guitar solo...oh and the guitar solo! Probably my favorite on the whole record and possibly one of my favorite of all time with TSCO.

The soft chorus at the end is great in the context of the album to as it leads to that fakeout soft beginning of "A Tempting Offer" before it turns into the most evil song on the record.  BTW - Out of context of this thread, but A Tempting Offer has my favorite JR solo in ages!  Evil incarnate.

OK Back to Chosen - awesome song.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Chosen
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
I don't remember much about Chosen since it follows the amazing Ravenskill, but if it's the song with "And I can't climb that mountain without you", then yeah, it's a pretty great ballad.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
Awesome song, great JP solo and I agree, that transition at like 3:32 where they start to drive the beat is fantastic. Also - good catch commenting on MM's part under the guitar solo, he's doing some nice tom work while keeping the groove.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:09:56 PM »
Incredible beautiful song!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »
Chosen is really beautiful, I love the chorus vocal line...
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
This is the most musical-theatery song on the album, and I mean that in the best way.  Really has an arc.

Also, one of the better lyrical efforts on the album, considering.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:51:14 PM »
Really beautiful song. I love JP's solo as well as the little parts he adds to the sections before and after it. I think for the most part it could stand on its own as well.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
Brilliant song. It could be said that it's one of the more accessible songs on the album, but I don't mean that in a bad way at all. Packs a real emotional punch for me.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
My theory on "Chosen" is that they wanted to call it "The Reason" but didn't want anyone to confuse it with the Hoobastank song.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
This song is just gorgeous.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
It's one hell of a ballad! Probably, along with Begin Again, the most Disney-like song on the album (and I mean this in the best possible way). I could actually see this song winning big awards had it been featured in a major animation movie.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
Chosen is the most beautiful song on TA, and has the most beautiful melodic chorus on the album. It's absolutely a really moving piece. And I like Nafaryus' reprise of the chorus in Losing Faythe.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
I think the best thing about this song is that in this thread we have called it the most Disney-like, most musical-ish and still love it :)

Great call on the reprise in Losing Faythe - I didn't catch that before.