Author Topic: Ravenskill  (Read 11915 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Ravenskill
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »
It is only a matter of time before the individual songs from the new record get their own threads, so why not get the ball rolling with this one?  It took me a few listens for it to really grab me, but now that it has, holy moly, what a freaking astonishing (:P) song!!  :coolio :hat

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Ravenskill
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:15:40 PM »
One of the best on the album, possibly my favorite. I love the structure and James just kills it here. Beautiful.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:13:03 AM »
JLB declared that it is his favorite.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 01:58:26 AM »
I love the tetris piano intro, but when James comes in it gets really really good, definitely makes my list of favorite TA songs (which are like 10 currently).
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 02:02:52 AM »
Love this song, my Top 3 from the album I guess. I wish the exchange between Faythe and Arhys that ends with "Hope fades away with each passing second" would go for another back and forth passage. It ends just when it becomes amazing.

The quiet atmosphere in the beginning is fantastic.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 02:24:32 AM »
I must admit that I thought it was a bit weird on the first couple of listens, especially the "Please excuse me" section, but once I understood what was happening and how it moves the story along, it's really pretty cool.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 02:39:29 AM »
Top notch song this one, the climax when Faythe meets Arhys is fantastic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 02:55:09 AM »
Yea it's a great song!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Mladen

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 03:01:57 AM »
This one hit me just yesterday evening. Maybe the most dynamic song on the album with the most stuff going on.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:25:09 AM »
This was immediately my favorite and still is. Quite honestly unlike others, I've become a bit bored with the album already but this remains a kick ass song.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »
I glossed over this on first or maybe even second listen, but when it caught me, it didn't let go. If I want to introduce someone to The Astonishing (or maybe even Dream Theater in general), I will point them to this track. It's got almost everything. It's haunting, it's downright rocking, it's got some of JLB's best vocals since SFaM (I get chills every time I hear "It's not like that..."). Beautiful ending. I can't gush enough about this song.

Offline emtee

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:27:14 AM »
Piano intro is sublime and very moving. This may be the most emotionally moved I have ever been by a DT song. The whole thing
is just amazing. 11/10. Off the charts great!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »
The beginning sounds almost like it is supposed to be dream sequence the way James sings it, combined with the soft, dreamy piano and keys .  Really good song.  But I had to actually call it up and play it before responding in this thread because, like many, I am unfortunately not familiar enough with the individual songs to recall all of them yet.  :)  I saw the thread title and was like, "I know I really like this song, but I just can't remember which one it is."  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
Ravenskill might be my favorite track on the album.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
Its nice, but I feel like it reach the climax in the middle and then kinda lose power until the end.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
I loved the song immediately. The intro reminded me of a George Winston instrumental.

I love the piano part in the "lost in this moment, is where I want to stay" section, too. So simple, yet very memorable. (a quality and concept that eludes many a composer)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
I will also add that, in context of the album, this song sets up a really nice run of songs as well.  I feel like, musically and in terms of "energy," there is a bit of a dip after Three Days.  But the run of songs from Ravenskill through A Tempting Offer really ramps things up and may be the best 3-song run on the album.  And then after the brief interlude of Digital Discord, that energy picks right back up again with The X Aspect and A New Beginning.  I love that entire rune of songs, and Ravenskill serves as sort of the "opening movement," if you will, of that run.  At this early stage at least, that is my favorite section of the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 09:19:37 AM »
"I remember your father was moved by my song" is one of those moments that has lodged in my brain from first listen.  I think it's one of the strongest moments of musical storytelling on the album.  When you think about it, there's not much to go on for the Faybriel relationship -- they barely know each other -- and this is the first we're hearing that Nafaryus had anything but a negative reaction to Gabriel's performance.  Yet the way the music works in this moment makes me buy all of that.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
"I remember your father was moved by my song" is one of those moments that has lodged in my brain from first listen.  I think it's one of the strongest moments of musical storytelling on the album.  When you think about it, there's not much to go on for the Faybriel relationship -- they barely know each other -- and this is the first we're hearing that Nafaryus had anything but a negative reaction to Gabriel's performance.  Yet the way the music works in this moment makes me buy all of that.

I agree.  That works really well.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 09:46:37 AM »
One of the best on the album, possibly my favorite. I love the structure and James just kills it here. Beautiful.
It's my favorite as well. Killer track.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »
Good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »
Great track. When the whole band comes in, what a powerful melody. I really like piano mixed with heavy guitars.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 09:53:09 AM »

Is it though? I remember him specifically saying right after Gabriel sings to them that he "brought us all to tears". That seemed to piss him off, but it was quite clear to me that he didn't hate the singing itself, just what it might mean to his position in the long run.

Offline pantsofeternity

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »
Great track. When the whole band comes in, what a powerful melody. I really like piano mixed with heavy guitars.
I think this album contains some of the best acoustic piano / distorted guitar interaction they've ever done.  In the past, it tended to be mostly big block chords in the choruses, but on this album there's some great passages of the piano doing interested arpeggiated things while the guitar is chugging along, as in this song.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
I will also add that, in context of the album, this song sets up a really nice run of songs as well.  I feel like, musically and in terms of "energy," there is a bit of a dip after Three Days.  But the run of songs from Ravenskill through A Tempting Offer really ramps things up and may be the best 3-song run on the album.  And then after the brief interlude of Digital Discord, that energy picks right back up again with The X Aspect and A New Beginning.  I love that entire rune of songs, and Ravenskill serves as sort of the "opening movement," if you will, of that run.  At this early stage at least, that is my favorite section of the album.
but A Life Left Behind! >:(

I be am boner inducing.

Offline pantsofeternity

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »
and this is the first we're hearing that Nafaryus had anything but a negative reaction to Gabriel's performance
Is it though? I remember him specifically saying right after Gabriel sings to them that he "brought us all to tears". That seemed to piss him off, but it was quite clear to me that he didn't hate the singing itself, just what it might mean to his position in the long run.
Ah, good catch.  I suppose I read that as him being mocking / sarcastic (which of course is Nafaryus trying to cover up that he was indeed moved).  In any case, I still think it's important what is conveyed here -- that Gabriel saw Nafaryus's hidden soft side in the square during that moment.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:45 AM »
Sorry, Rich, I couldn't hear what you were saying because it was drowned out by the awesomeness of Ravenskill coming from my speakers.  Would you mind repeating that for me?

:nomac:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »

I thought it was a heavy sacrasm.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »
Ravenskill has one of the most beautiful and different chord progressions DT has ever composed.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline pcs90

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »
It makes me laugh because I remember 1 or 2 of the pre-release interviews saying this track was pointless... :lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
"You dare to stand / before my eyes..." Great section.

A good song, took me a few listens to get to know and remember it well because it goes through quite a few different parts. Probably has the most story of any song on the album.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »
Sorry, Rich, I couldn't hear what you were saying because it was drowned out by the awesomeness of Ravenskill coming from my speakers.  Would you mind repeating that for me?

:nomac:
I said DOWN WITH THE OPRESSIVE EMPEROR

or something

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »

While it does have some sarcastic vibes, I didn't see it as complete bashing. I feel some sencerity behind those statements.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 11:09:27 AM »
Maybe my favorite song of the album. This song has some of the greatest melodies from DT IMHO. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 11:34:29 AM »

While it does have some sarcastic vibes, I didn't see it as complete bashing. I feel some sencerity behind those statements.

I do think he was surely moved by Gabriel's song, but I think Gabriel judged it mostly by Nafaryus actions during the song or something like that, maybe by how mesmerized he was during he was playing, his facial expressions, anything. The gloomy vibe at the beginning of Three Days makes me think that no matter how good the song was, Nafaryus is pretty much pissed off at Gabriel for that Faythe thing and resorts to a full-sneering mode just to insult and hurt him.