Author Topic: TA-tour: Orchestra and Choir?  (Read 3769 times)

Offline dech2410

TA-tour: Orchestra and Choir?
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:43:28 AM »
Hey all, been a while since I posted on this forum, but TA impressed me quite a lot. Might be my favourite DT-album!

What I've been thinking about: since the tour will be mainly played in more 'classic venues', DT might be touring with an orchestra and a choir, to be able to play TA at full capacity. I'm really curious on your thoughts on this one, since I've not seen in mentioned before in any thread.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: TA-tour: Orchestra and Choir?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »
JP's already stated in interviews that they aren't gonna take a choir or orchestra with them. They'd love to, but it would be much too expensive to do. So just expect the 5 of the producing all the music. The only exception might be if they'd record a show - in that case, they probably would do it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:29:21 PM »
are they playing a normal set or is it only going to be the new CD?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »

Only the new album, no encore.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »

That's what they want us to think. I'm still holding out hope for ACOS. With intermission that'd bring the show to just shy of three hours.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »

That's what they want us to think. I'm still holding out hope for ACOS. With intermission that'd bring the show to just shy of three hours.

I don't know why JP would lie, but I would love ACOS.  I don't really see why they couldn't do a one song encore though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »

No, that would likely push it well over three hours.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »

Yes. After 2.5 hrs of an almost a constant vocal performance with little instrumental breaks...

"Now come out and sing LTL, James!!"  :metal

Seriously though, Every interview I've read is the same. "This is The Astonishing live, if you're coming to hear "Pull Me Under", this isn't the show for you."  ~ Jordan Rudess

https://therockpit.net/2016/Jordan-Rudess-Dream-Theater-Interview-2016.php

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
There's an interview in italian with James, he confirmed as well that they're gonna play only the new album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 11:58:41 AM »
I know that the shows have been advertised as just The Astonishing, but you know there will be some folks that buy a ticket and show up and not realize the show is just TA.  WTF!!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »
Still thinking why the ticket prices are so high..
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »
I know that the shows have been advertised as just The Astonishing, but you know there will be some folks that buy a ticket and show up and not realize the show is just TA.  WTF!!

Not DT's fault if they can't read "DREAM THEATER PRESENTS THE ASTONISHING LIVE" all over the posters, tickets and advertising.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
Still thinking why the ticket prices are so high..

This is kind of my issue.  I have no problem at all with DT only performing TA.  I also appreciate the fact that they are making it known to try and not have dissapointed fans when they do not play anything else, but why is the ticket price about $20-30 more than the traditional DT show if we are getting less DT and no opener?  I'm guessing it's the venue or maybe the stage show.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
I got two awesome seats for $100 with service charges. Back in 2009 (the last time they came to this venue), similar tickets cost nearly the same. I haven't seen the increase.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »

Not DT's fault if they can't read "DREAM THEATER PRESENTS THE ASTONISHING LIVE" all over the posters, tickets and advertising.
You know at least 3 people at each show will walk out salty that they didn't play DoE or something. Or do that thing where they play Metropolis Part 1 while JM and JP kick a soccer ball back and forth during the instrumental section in the middle.

I got two awesome seats for $100 with service charges. Back in 2009 (the last time they came to this venue), similar tickets cost nearly the same. I haven't seen the increase.
Yeah. Tickets were the same price this go around as they were for DT12 and ADToE.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »
Can you imagine people holding up signs "Play the classics" like it happened at an Iron Maiden show when they played the whole A Matter of Life and Death album?  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »
Can you imagine people holding up signs "Play the classics" like it happened at an Iron Maiden show when they played the whole A Matter of Life and Death album?  :lol

Luckily for DT, they don't really have the "classics" like IM do.  I guess you can say PMU, Metroplis, tSCO are "classics" but we've seen DT do plenty of shows without playing these songs.  IM besides that one tour have not gone out and NOT played TNOTB and RTTH so it shocked a lot of the American crowd who went to the concert to see those songs.

I think DT is doing what they can to make sure people know not to expect anything but the Astonishing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 07:47:28 AM »

"Play the Classic"!  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 12:27:47 PM »
I consider Metropolis to be DTs classic, despite PMU being the radio hit.

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 03:47:21 AM »
i better get used to the new CD then, so far its not ringing any bells for me.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 02:06:30 PM »
It's still gonna be very weird not to have an encore at all. Maybe they should wave and walk off stage after Our New World and play the title track as the encore so it doesn't feel like we're missing something.  :laugh: :P

...Or maybe they had that in mind when they placed Power Down in between the two on the album. That'll make it feel like the encore space.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »
Encores are expected and programmed anyway. I know the excitement of seeing the band come back on stage, feeling that you're getting more, but it's all written down already in the setlist. Knowing it before will make easier to accept that they won't come back.

To do what, anyway? I'm sure that after 2 hours and counting of the show, the ending with the title track will be completely fulfilling. No need to see Metropolis at the end, not that I wouldn't mind, but I'm sure it will make sense at the show.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »
Encores are expected and programmed anyway. I know the excitement of seeing the band come back on stage, feeling that you're getting more, but it's all written down already in the setlist. Knowing it before will make easier to accept that they won't come back.

To do what, anyway? I'm sure that after 2 hours and counting of the show, the ending with the title track will be completely fulfilling. No need to see Metropolis at the end, not that I wouldn't mind, but I'm sure it will make sense at the show.

I pretty much agree that the encore is kind of programmed and just seems like an odd tradition... but a headlining band not doing an encore is a bit odd because of that tradition.  I've only seen it once before and no one left when they were done including myself because of the expected encore, until all the lights came on and then you realize its not coming.

It does indeed make sense given the way the album will be presented, but I imagine it will still feel odd.  And while seeing Metropolis for the whatever time isn't a big deal, some of DT's past encores have been really amazing and the encore from this past summer Behind the Veil, would be something I really would like to see.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 05:56:51 AM »
Since they want it all to fit in their story, they could've made DT-classic x a featured song on Faythe's iPod, with the story ending her enjoying another astonishing piece of music :P Here, no excuse anymore DT.

(since I know there is no encore I do not mind it. But I think it is awkward when you find out while waiting for it. But I think the presentation of the show can help prevent that).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »
Concert hall needs to turn the lights on as soon as the band walks off stage

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
I pretty much agree that the encore is kind of programmed and just seems like an odd tradition... but a headlining band not doing an encore is a bit odd because of that tradition.  I've only seen it once before and no one left when they were done including myself because of the expected encore, until all the lights came on and then you realize its not coming.

Not sure what band you saw that did this, but when I saw Nightwish last year, they didn't do an encore, which definitely confused everyone in the venue  :lol
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 07:51:34 AM »

Not sure what band you saw that did this, but when I saw Nightwish last year, they didn't do an encore, which definitely confused everyone in the venue  :lol

If was Offspring, they played the entire Smash album followed by like 6 "greatest hits" and then finished the set with their biggest hit from Smash that they skipped when they did the whole album.  I guess it makes sense to end it that way, but the set was under 1.5 hours and there were other hit songs they could have played so that's why it felt weird... and like I said, the lights didn't immediately turn on.  People were waiting and cheering for an encore.