Author Topic: The Astonishing Abridged  (Read 8802 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: The Astonishing Abridged
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2020, 11:28:45 PM »
See, that's why I had trouble making an abridged version, as all the songs are important to the story.

I feel the same way. After so many attempts to make abridged versions, I've come to the conclusion that (almost) every song either has its place in the story that would be missing if it was cut, or is just a song that I enjoy.

That said, there are two songs (not counting NOMAC interludes) that I feel actively interrupt the flow of the album: Begin Again & Whispers On The Wind.

Begin Again because it doesn't fit with the build-up of tension that happens from A Tempting Offer to Heaven's Cove, & also tells us very little that wasn't already clear, & Whispers On The Wind because the ending to Losing Faythe implies a sense of hope that is followed up with on Hymn Of A Thousand Voices. Whispers On The Wind steers away from that direction only to go right back to it in the next song. I think both of these songs make the album feel more unfocused, & they're the only ones that I can definitively argue that they make the album worse overall (at least for me).

So that leaves me with 27 songs & exactly 2 hours of music, & at this point, I'm okay with that. :tup

Nefaryus has the last lines in Losing Faythe and is begging to Gabriel to use his gift. Whispers on The Wind is there to convey the despair Gabriel is feeling after his incident with Daryus, there is no more hope. It's a contrast that makes Hymn of A Thousand Voices that much more powerful.

I guess I could understand your point, but I think the rapid contrast makes the album's pacing a little shaky. It's like

>Faythe is dead! We're all in despair. There's no more hope.
>But wait, what if Gabriel could use his gift? Maybe there is hope!
>No Nafaryus, I can't use my gift. There's no more hope.
>Oh wait, the townspeople can still sing. Hope is restored!

It feels quite unnatural in that way, but if it was more like

>But wait, what if Garbriel could use his gift? Maybe there is hope!
>The townspeople & Gabriel can sing. Yes! Our hopes came true.

then I think it would feel a lot more like a natural string of emotions, which I think flows better from both a story-telling & musical perspective.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2020, 02:11:59 PM »
See, that's why I had trouble making an abridged version, as all the songs are important to the story.

I feel the same way. After so many attempts to make abridged versions, I've come to the conclusion that (almost) every song either has its place in the story that would be missing if it was cut, or is just a song that I enjoy.

That said, there are two songs (not counting NOMAC interludes) that I feel actively interrupt the flow of the album: Begin Again & Whispers On The Wind.

Begin Again because it doesn't fit with the build-up of tension that happens from A Tempting Offer to Heaven's Cove, & also tells us very little that wasn't already clear, & Whispers On The Wind because the ending to Losing Faythe implies a sense of hope that is followed up with on Hymn Of A Thousand Voices. Whispers On The Wind steers away from that direction only to go right back to it in the next song. I think both of these songs make the album feel more unfocused, & they're the only ones that I can definitively argue that they make the album worse overall (at least for me).

So that leaves me with 27 songs & exactly 2 hours of music, & at this point, I'm okay with that. :tup

Nefaryus has the last lines in Losing Faythe and is begging to Gabriel to use his gift. Whispers on The Wind is there to convey the despair Gabriel is feeling after his incident with Daryus, there is no more hope. It's a contrast that makes Hymn of A Thousand Voices that much more powerful.

I guess I could understand your point, but I think the rapid contrast makes the album's pacing a little shaky. It's like

then I think it would feel a lot more like a natural string of emotions, which I think flows better from both a story-telling & musical perspective.

First of all, Faythe isn't dead. She's on the verge of death. Gabriel's faith and hope of the glorious revolution him and Faythe planned is dying in front of his eyes, he himself considers it dead as he sees Faythe slowly withering, after Yelling at Daryus.

The music in Whispers on The Wind is there to tell how GABRIEL feels about it, to show his Despair and loss if hope.

Then, the townspeople all arrive slowly singing Gabriel's song "When Your Time Has Come" reigniting Gabriel's hope and faith. Which he then, joins the chorus of townspeople as they all sing "Choir on high..." The ensemble uplifted Faythes spirit and gave her the strength to fight death and survive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2020, 03:23:48 PM »
I think ONW works great as the album closer, and it would definitely be the closer for my abridged version... if I could make one :lol
The album might be a bit too long but there's just too much good stuff in there to make an 80 minute playlist out of it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2020, 12:01:52 AM »

First of all, Faythe isn't dead. She's on the verge of death. Gabriel's faith and hope of the glorious revolution him and Faythe planned is dying in front of his eyes, he himself considers it dead as he sees Faythe slowly withering, after Yelling at Daryus.

The music in Whispers on The Wind is there to tell how GABRIEL feels about it, to show his Despair and loss if hope.

Then, the townspeople all arrive slowly singing Gabriel's song "When Your Time Has Come" reigniting Gabriel's hope and faith. Which he then, joins the chorus of townspeople as they all sing "Choir on high..." The ensemble uplifted Faythes spirit and gave her the strength to fight death and survive.

I know what the plot of the album is; I'm criticising its pacing. Can you chill with the condescension?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。