Author Topic: The Loss Of My Pet. A therapy writing session  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Loss Of My Pet. A therapy writing session
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
The loss of a pet is something I have not experienced since I was a 16 year old when my family lost our cat.
I’m 51 and I have never had to put down an animal in my life. That changed on Wednesday when we had to bring our 20 year old cat Mooper in to be put to rest. This is the one and only pet I have ever had in my adult life and he been part of the fiber of my life for 20 years. I loved him with all my heart.

In 2014 we thought we had to put him down due to a large tumor in his ear that kept filling with blood and popping. It was turning our house into a slaughter house. The vet said at that point he was healthy besides the tumor and surgery was an option. Knowing the odds were about 50/50 it would be successful and it would cost 1000 dollars we opted to try it. It was a success! Our old pal was coming back home. I cried tears of joy, when you hours earlier I had tears of pain swelling my eyes.
So fast forward 15 months later we knew this time he would not be returning home with us. He had lost so much weight. He was having accidents on the carpet for the first time ever. He couldn’t clean himself. He could barely walk anymore. He was even having a hard with accomplishing his biggest passion. He was struggling to eat so we had to puree his food.

They say you know when it’s time to put down a pet and we certainly knew it was his time. Our hearts were so heavy Wednesday having to say goodbye to our pal. Our wonderful, cat was in need of rest.
Putting him in the carrier I burst into uncontrollable crying knowing the end was near. No more having him hop in my lap. No more making me nearly trip and kill myself while getting under my feet every night as I prepared dinner. No more having him strolling into the bathroom at 3:00am to greet me as I took a leak.

The look in his eyes made me sad. Did he know what was to come? Was he sad his life with us was coming to an end? All the crazy things you think in a moment like that.

When we got to the vet I became increasingly more emotional, but was trying hard to control it. Finally it was time to bring him into the room and put him on the table. The wonderful sweet female vet who has always been so sweet through the years gave us the option to stay in the room or to leave before his was giving the injection. She sedated him to calm him and said take all the time you need with him. Take an hour if you need it she said. I was a mess. My wife looked at me and said what do you want to do honey? I’m going to stay with him. I told her, I’m sorry but I just can’t. I had to say my goodbye and leave the room. It was so hard to walk away for me.

I then told the vet she could go in, my wife was ready. My wife Laurette said she held him in her arms in a blanket and he went quickly and very peacefully. I am struggling with this and the loss of his presence.
I know 20 years is a ridiculous run for a cat but it’s also a long time to be in love with him.
I will miss my buddy.
Rest in peace, Mooper.
1996-2016
Gone but never forgotten!

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Loss Of My Pet. A therapy writing session
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
Awe.  My wife and I could never have children so our cats is ours.  We were heartbroken when we had to put Rikki down.  I'm so sorry for your loss.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
Very sorry to hear this Rich. I feel for you and know the heartbreak you're suffering right now is something that is tough to endure. But, I can tell you from experience that it does get better and all the great memories you have of Mooper will soon take the place of that hurt. Time will heal that wound I promise you that my friend. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
Damn Rich.  :brohug:

I know the pain of putting a pet down, but don't know that kind of 20 year pain.  Ours is nearing 19 years, so I'll be in the same position shortly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »
Fine looking cat, Rich. That's a damn shame. It's no consolation, but be thankful you got 20 years. Most people don't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 02:03:04 PM »
Thank you all. I appreciate the support.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Tick.  In the last 10 years we had my 3 childhood dogs pass away and then I had to put down one of my cats (I only had him for a few months though) and my x took my three cats when we broke up (so I have not seen them at all).  It's tough because you grow so attached to the furry creatures and they get so attached to you.  It becomes a big part of your life.  Seems like you had a great 20 years which you must be grateful for and you can use that to remember how great of a friend you had. 

Mooper looks like he was a cool cute cat too.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
That cat looks bad ass in that pic.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:15:40 PM »
The best thing to do now is find various web sites where people discuss the loss of their pets (best friends, buddies, companion).  You'll find out that what you are feeling is normal.  Most friends won't understand just how hard the loss is for you (and your wife).  Others won't comment at all. 

Went through the same thing last year.  Thought my dog had one more good year in him, had a wonderful 'Father's Day' with my boy, but 48 hours later, we took him on his last car ride.

Visit the vet again in a week or so.  They could use any leftover food to give to needy clients.  It will also be of great therapeutic value.  They understand what you went through.  If you tear up during your visit, they're the best to be with.  You may even smile once or twice.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:11:31 PM »
Losing a pet is just like losing a family member.  My sympathies, Tick.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 03:34:37 AM »
So sorry for your loss. I nearly didn't read this knowing I would cry, not to mention having my own 10 year old cat sitting on my lap as I write this.
The picture of your cat shows just how beautiful he was, and I hope over time the loss gets a little easier to deal with. 20 years with you is amazing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:09:59 AM »
Sorry, Tick. Cool looking cat
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
Wow, great story!  Sorry for your loss.  By the way that second picture is amazing. Looks like the cat is walking to the eternal light.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 07:49:24 AM »
That is hard. We had to put our cat Elphaba down a few years ago because she had kidney failure and there was basically nothing we could do. She didn't even get half the dose before she was at peace because she was so weak. She was only 7 and that was so hard. But doing that after 20 years of love that's probably even harder. That cat lived a very long and happy life.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline dparrott

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 09:26:28 AM »
Sorry for your loss.  We had to put our 7 year old cat down a few months ago, got sick out of nowhere and care was out of our budget.  But 20 years is very long for a cat! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
Well now I'm crying. I have a hard time connecting with people but I always felt a special connection with cats. I was born into a house with two cats and have had 10 cats in my 22 years on this planet. Four of them sadly passed away and I know the feeling of losing a pet all too well so seeing stuff like this gets me every time. From someone who's lived it, I know how devastated you are right now and it will take some time to feel ok. At the very least, you had 20 wonderful years with your small, furry, four legged companion and you can at least take solace in the fact that you gave him the best life a cat could ask for and if he could have spoken to you, I'm positive Mooper would have said thank you for the love.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 07:25:22 AM »
Sorry for your loss. Man, I teared up at work reading that. My cat is reaching middle age and has already survived on health scare (diabetes) and I'm hoping he's has several years left. I'm going to miss him when the time comes but the gut wrenching part for me will be explaining to my daughter that he won't be coming home. She freaking loves our cat and it's going to suck be hairy balls when the time comes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
Yeah man, totally bumming experience.

:sadpanda:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Beautiful cat, equally as beautiful story and recollection. I am sorry for your loss.
---

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
Thank you all again for the kind words of support.
Its rough not having him under my feet in the kitchen every night. That's the place I miss him every time I go in there. I dropped a piece of chicken last night and it bummed me out that I had to pick it back up off the floor. :sad:

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 09:54:45 PM »
So sorry for your families loss.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 11:24:34 PM »
Poor Mooper. So very sorry, Tick. :hug:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »
Tick, I'm sorry to hear about this, brother.   Time heals.