Author Topic: The Astonishing (Story and Concept analysis)  (Read 25864 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: The Astonishing (Story and Concept analysis)
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2016, 01:29:14 AM »
I think its more the fact that we got all of these Royal Decrees where he talks about holding steadfast in their commitment to mindless labor and then in the actual album we kind of a got a big wuss of a leader. 

Daryus is really the bad guy here.

He's not a big wuss, it's just that Gabriel's Gift of Music got to him and we started at that point in Nafaryus' story. Most likely, Nafaryus was not really bad before but, as said in the song Chosen, "In the absence of song, he's forgotten right from wrong. Our voices will release him. He's refused to listen far too long."

So my reading is that the NOMACS were what made Nafaryus the "evil" emperor that he is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »
Sorry if some find this too AOR, had to post it though 'cause it's too damn funny. I'll just let it to your imagination  :rollin...

(...)

She carried it with her wherever she went, always being careful to conceal it from those around her, especially her father. Relishing any private opportunity she could get to escape the realities of her cold and shielded imperial life. Still, as a young woman, there is not a day that goes by without her stealing a moment to listen to use her prized secret device, the magical vessel that carries her spirit throughout the endless adventures of her imagination. Hearing Gabriel play the guitar and sing with an almost indescribable air of grace and beauty that day is the first time she ever feels such an overwhelming sense of safety and belonging outside of her private rendezvous with her :censored.

No wonder why this is my least favorite song on the album so far.  ;D

Yeah, no wonder. Everyone knows prog fans and female business don't mix.

I don't have a problem with Nafaryus' story. Having his daughter who he loves so much brought back by Gabriel's gift is a pretty huge catalyst for a change of heart.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2016, 02:44:28 AM »
Just a quick question: since Gabriel had this magical gift of reviving, why he didn't use it on Arhys too?

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2016, 02:49:54 AM »
Just a quick question: since Gabriel had this magical gift of reviving, why he didn't use it on Arhys too?

Faythe was about to die, Arhys was dead. I think this was answered before.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2016, 03:16:38 AM »
It turns out his gift can save someone who is about to die. He can't just bring dead people back to life. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2016, 03:21:49 AM »
Oh, I see. Ok. Maybe I was misled by this part:

"Merciful song
Set her soul free
Unbind the chains
Of endless sleep

Choirs sung high
Grant her new life"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2016, 04:00:27 AM »
It doesn't take too long for Nafaryus to show his softer side. As soon as he starts talking about his pride in his family in Lord Nafaryus.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2016, 04:35:02 AM »
Yeah, Bug is a badass softy.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2016, 11:18:55 AM »
https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks/#cnt1

READ THIS!

I/m sure it's been asked, but I didn't find it, is this an official story line or a fan interpretation?  Thanks  :hat

Offline V_R11

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks/#cnt1

READ THIS!

I/m sure it's been asked, but I didn't find it, is this an official story line or a fan interpretation?  Thanks  :hat

Official
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »
Hymn of a Thousand Voices would have been as powerful as it's meant to be for the story line if the choir was louder IMO, would have been a really moving climax.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
The story borrows heavily from Romeo and Juliet for sure...

Yeah, I get a bit of Romeo and Juliet, Disney's Aladin, and the Hunger Games.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
Which is a tad disappointing since I initially had the impression it was gonna be The Matrix meets Game of Thrones meets Equilibrium, but I'm not hung up on that or anything.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
Funny that Gabriel's scream in My Last Farewell doesn't damage Xander's eardrums. I imagine it was because of the direction of the scream, so Gabriel has the gift of shooting deafening screams.

Offline rab7

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2016, 01:15:58 PM »
Funny that Gabriel's scream in My Last Farewell doesn't damage Xander's eardrums. I imagine it was because of the direction of the scream, so Gabriel has the gift of shooting deafening screams.

In the story description, it says he covers Xander's ears while Faythe is immune because the music from her music player blocks it out.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2016, 03:34:46 PM »

In the story description, it says he covers Xander's ears while Faythe is immune because the music from her music player blocks it out.

Must be using in-ears with large ear buds. :LOL

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2016, 08:59:31 PM »
So, who is really to blame for Arhys' death?
Daryus for doing the deed? Xander for not watching his back when he was entering his home? Arabelle for sending her psycho son in the first place? Faythe for leading her brother to Ravenskill? Thoughts?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2016, 09:05:09 PM »
Daryus for doing the deed? Xander for not watching his back when he was entering his home? Arabelle for sending her psycho son in the first place? Faythe for leading her brother to Ravenskill? Thoughts?

Or Nafaryus because of how he treated Daryus in comparison to Arabelle and Faythe, which is what caused Daryus to be such a dick in the first place.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »

John Petrucci, for writing the story. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »

Or Nafaryus because of how he treated Daryus in comparison to Arabelle and Faythe, which is what caused Daryus to be such a dick in the first place.

See? It even goes back further! Arhys never stood a chance!  :'(

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2016, 04:13:45 AM »
it is 'someone' fault, the one who been waiting for the 'townspeople'. and its townpeople, the one who said "Sorry cant speak, someone is waiting" to Faythe
if this 'someone' not waiting for the townspeople, the townspeople will have a time to speak to faythe, and then Daryus will not find Xander and get idea to make Xander as a hostage. and then Arhys will never have to betray his own blood and then realize that is wrong, and then fight Daryus and then died.

:rollin

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2016, 04:25:55 AM »
Am I the only one slightly siding with Darius? I mean, yeah, hes portrayed as the real bad guy, but what did he really did? He fought the rebels, and almost got their 2 leaders, ending the war with far less casualties than an all out army vs army war. In his eyes, the rebels are the evil, and he only sought to end this war and return the empire to peace.

Kidnapping a child seems harsh, but if it would have got him the 2 rebels leaders it kinda prove the saying "The end justifies the means"
The only outright evil thing he did is threatning innocent Xander, which we dont really know if he would have kept the promise.

History is written by the winners, and this is obviously told from the eyes of the rebels. Darius may just be the poor victim of this story, whos protrayed as evil after the events unfolded to the rebels side.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2016, 05:06:54 AM »
But was Xander actually kidnapped? Cause I didn't get it.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2016, 07:15:11 AM »
Am I the only one slightly siding with Darius? I mean, yeah, hes portrayed as the real bad guy, but what did he really did? He fought the rebels, and almost got their 2 leaders, ending the war with far less casualties than an all out army vs army war. In his eyes, the rebels are the evil, and he only sought to end this war and return the empire to peace.

Kidnapping a child seems harsh, but if it would have got him the 2 rebels leaders it kinda prove the saying "The end justifies the means"
The only outright evil thing he did is threatning innocent Xander, which we dont really know if he would have kept the promise.

History is written by the winners, and this is obviously told from the eyes of the rebels. Darius may just be the poor victim of this story, whos protrayed as evil after the events unfolded to the rebels side.

I get what you mean. The only problem I'd have with this is that Daryus goal wasn't so much about ending the war than it was about ''I want my dad to notice me''. At least this is my interpretation.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2016, 07:19:30 AM »
But was Xander actually kidnapped? Cause I didn't get it.

Xander was not kidnapped. Daryus made Arhys A Tempting Offer of a better life and freedom for Xander in exchange for Gabriel.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2016, 07:32:17 AM »
In my opinion:
Daryus for doing the deed?
Yep.
Xander for not watching his back when he was entering his home?
He is described as a trustful (as he should be) 8 years old boy. The synopsis also claims that Daryus forcefully broke in. If a maniac son of an evil emperor who has access to a lot more weaponry than normal townspeople in a dystopia wants to break into a house and hold a young boy hostage, he probably will have the means to do it even if the boy is extra careful.
Arabelle for sending her psycho son in the first place?
I doubt she would have any reason to believe he is a psycho - mothers (and fathers) will always want to see their children in a positive light. Plenty of parents of convicted criminals of even the worst imaginable crimes still believe they're innocent even when proven guilty. In this case she had no reason to believe otherwise - he is described as a very loyal son. Of course he may has done terrible things, but it was always by the order of his father. It was presumably the first time he had a different intention, and he worked hard to hide it.
Faythe for leading her brother to Ravenskill?
Faythe didn't know Daryus was following her.

You can blame that on anyone, but in the end the only person who had the intention to either get Arhys to indirectly kill Gabriel, or kill Arhys instead, was Daryus. Everyone else were either unaware or forced into the situation, and did the logical thing considering their knowledge of the events.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
Ahrys for not being able to kick Daryus' ass  ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2016, 08:15:47 AM »

I'm assuming Ahrys couldn't fight to his full potential cause Xander was still with Daryus or standing around, that's how I explained how a fancy prince defeated the leader of a rebellious militia who spent his recent years in militia training camps.

Offline rab7

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »

I get what you mean. The only problem I'd have with this is that Daryus goal wasn't so much about ending the war than it was about ''I want my dad to notice me''. At least this is my interpretation.

This is why The Astonishing is such a great story. The characters are driving the plot, and not the other way around. It's too easy for a writer to just write Nafaryus as an evil emperor and Daryus as an evil mercenary, but Petrucci gave them all feelings motivations that drive their actions. This is the best way for stories to develop in my opinion.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2016, 10:04:53 AM »
It's all the Townsperson's fault! Everything comes down to them in the end.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2016, 10:06:33 AM »
The Astonishing Pt. II will focus on the imminent rise to power of the Townsperson. He stayed in the shadows throughout the whole story, ready to take Bug's throne.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:40:20 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »
The Astonishing Pt. II will focus on the imminent rise of power of the Townsperson. He stayed in the shadows throughout the whole story, ready to take Bug's throne.
:lol

Funny thing is that when I think about how it might be staged as a musical, I see the narrator as being there on stage, and therefore being the Townsperson. So yeah, maybe he's there all along, watching everything, knowing what's going on, waiting for his moment.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

I'm assuming Ahrys couldn't fight to his full potential cause Xander was still with Daryus or standing around, that's how I explained how a fancy prince defeated the leader of a rebellious militia who spent his recent years in militia training camps.

Maybe.  But to me, a likely scenario is that the "rebel militia," including its leader (Ahrys), was untested in actual battle and hadn't actually fought.  The GNEA would have had greater training resources and weapons at its disposal, so if Daryus would have trained at all, his fighting skills would likely have been equal to or above those of Ahrys.  Just depends on whether, as prince of the realm, he was raised to learn military fighting skills or just be a "palace homebody," so to speak.  We don't really get a sense in the story whether the royal family was the militaristic sort of royal family or the more soft palatial type.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »
Funny thing is that when I think about how it might be staged as a musical, I see the narrator as being there on stage, and therefore being the Townsperson. So yeah, maybe he's there all along, watching everything, knowing what's going on, waiting for his moment.
Hmm... I hope they'd have to excise the narrator in a stage adaptation... but then I generally hate when musicals have narrators.  I wouldn't mind the narration being shared by a townsperson Greek chorus of a half-dozen or so.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »
snip

Yeah, but I'm just talking about the butterfly effect of the situation, not intention to reach that conclusion.

But yeah, at the end of it all, I feel like even with going deaf, Daryus got off way too easy for his actions.