Author Topic: The Astonishing (Story and Concept analysis)  (Read 25866 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Astonishing (Story and Concept analysis)
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2016, 08:52:57 AM »
Funny that Gabriel's scream in My Last Farewell doesn't damage Xander's eardrums. I imagine it was because of the direction of the scream, so Gabriel has the gift of shooting deafening screams.

In the story description, it says he covers Xander's ears while Faythe is immune because the music from her music player blocks it out.

Which is clever and not forced at all, what I find a bit weird is that Gabriel in seeing at the same moment his brother dead and his love dying, he has the lucidity to cover his nephew's ears because he somehow knows he throws head-bursting screams like Alanis Morrisette's God in Dogma.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2016, 01:57:30 PM »
This time round, I realised that Our New World is sung by Gabriel and Faythe to Xander. "In [Arhys' & Evangeline's] memory we'll build a new world..." Just another little thing.

Online Mladen

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't get that. What an interesting bit of story, very romantic and light. Which is incredible considering how dark the mood is just two songs prior to Our new world.

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
The story borrows heavily from Romeo and Juliet for sure, maybe a bit of Jesus story too ("chosen one", reviving the dead etc)
What irked me the most is actually the resolution of the story. Nefaryus going from evil emperor to happy ruler almost on a whim kinda undermines the character I feel.

I think the Biblical story it owes the most to is that of David and Jonathan, with Gabriel as David, Faythe as Jonathan, and Nafaryus as Saul.

David starts off in the court of King Saul as a musician of great talent, the only one capable of soothing the King. After David kills Goliath and performs some other feats, he becomes extremely popular with the people. Saul becomes jealous of David's popularity and sees him as a threat and tries to have him killed. Eventually, he forces David into exile, where the political situation gets super messy.

Meanwhile, Saul's eldest son Jonathan becomes David's closest friend, to his father's displeasure. He is the one who warns David of Saul's intentions before David escapes, and even in the face of talk of rebellion, their relationship stays strong.

The ending is very different, as Jonathan and two of Jonathan's younger brothers are killed in battle (not against David), Saul kills himself rather than facing capture, and David becomes King. And of course, Faythe is female and the romantic subtext some see between David and Jonathan becomes textual.

But I can't stop myself from seeing Nefaryus as Ian McShane from the 2009 series Kings, which was based on the same story.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »
Am I the only one who wishes that I hadn't read the detailed synopsis? I am really enjoying the album but having read about the story in greater detail I think there are too many plot holes and I find the story kind of dumb. It's kind of cheapened it for me.

I personally hate stories where things happen so quickly and the characters make decisions that just seem stupid and too reactionary. When characters appear to just coincidentally do things that seem to happen just to move the plot forward it just seems too unrealistic. I known that this is essentially a fairy tale but I personally would have liked the story to have been a little more realistic. Things like love at first sight I can buy if you shown the characters then falling in love over time. But if the characters start a family with an adopted nephew/son within days of meeting it just detracts fro the whole experience. Am I right in thinking that about 4 or 5 days pass during the whole story? It seems ridiculous to me that the characters go through this whole life changing arc in a matter of days.......then live happily ever after. I can't be the only one who feels that there are no believable characters who made choices or decisions that regular people would have made. Maybe I'm in the minority of people who look for believable, realistic characters who are neither clearly good or bad and who make decisions that are clearly influenced by the life they have lead up until the start of the story.

I know that JP had his work cut out with this whole project but I personally wish I had just stuck to reading the lyrics and interpreting the story in my own way instead of knowing all the details. Of course this is just my opinion and fair enough too the people who love the story but with a project that appeared to have so much love and attention paid to it I think the story felt a little amateur (To me!).

Offline pretorios

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2016, 05:35:10 PM »
https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks/#cnt1

READ THIS!

:metal

Perfect.

Although I'm reading the description for the "The Gift of Music" and thinking "well that's what the world is like now, in real life..." :z

Yep. Every time a pop star lip syncs, another puppy dies.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2016, 12:02:45 AM »
I like the story very much, there are great hints and plays to place events (Faythe theme in the walking shadow, arhys/Daryus chat in the house...)

The elements that weren't that clear to me were :
-Gabriel screams, loses his voice and Daryus is deaf. Didn't know that before reading the band guide
-How did the royal family teleport over the dying body of Faythe ?
-How is doing Faythe to recharge her music player ? :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2016, 02:27:39 AM »
-How did the royal family teleport over the dying body of Faythe ?
They were on their way there anyway, to meet with Faythe and Gabriel as agreed at the end of Act I.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2016, 03:38:03 AM »
Thank you for the info, I didn't remember that this way (translated it wrong actually)
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2016, 03:56:28 AM »
Maybe I'm in the minority of people who look for believable, realistic characters who are neither clearly good or bad and who make decisions that are clearly influenced by the life they have lead up until the start of the story.
Count me in that minority.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2016, 04:04:53 AM »
Maybe I'm in the minority of people who look for believable, realistic characters who are neither clearly good or bad and who make decisions that are clearly influenced by the life they have lead up until the start of the story.
Count me in that minority.
Well yeah, same, but that's why I like the characters in TA. Some people have seemed to question why the big baddie turned all soft suddenly, but I like the fact that it's not an obvious good vs evil story.

I also think Arhys' reaction is a totally reasonable emotional reaction. As we know, he doesn't actually go through with it. That's where the rational part takes over. But his emotional instinct is to take the opportunity to give X what he promised he would to Evangeline.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
To bring all the recurring musical motifs to this discussion, I'm pretty sure Nafaryus goes through most of them of all characters. It's pretty cool how his change of heart is reflected through music, concluding with the final Road to Revolution motif.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Drake_Fury

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:53 AM »
Hey guys!

I wanted to know if some of you see the end of "My Last Farewell" the same way I do.

We all know that a scream should be shattering Daryus's eardrums. But, am I the only one thinking that the "AAArrrg!!" at the end is so underwhelming compared to what we know JL is able to do, that it just can't be it?

Personally, I like to think that the super-scream is actually the "Hear my last FAREWEEEELLLLLLL!!!" part and the "Arrgg!" is Daryus screaming in pain.

On a different Note, I see a lot of peole thinking that Daryus "kidnapped" Xander, but to me, he was only taking him a hostage for his safety while doing his tempting offer to Arhys. What he wanted was Arhys's attention, nothing more. He never left with Xander.

Food for thoughts.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »
Hey guys!

I wanted to know if some of you see the end of "My Last Farewell" the same way I do.

We all know that a scream should be shattering Daryus's eardrums. But, am I the only one thinking that the "AAArrrg!!" at the end is so underwhelming compared to what we know JL is able to do, that it just can't be it?

Personally, I like to think that the super-scream is actually the "Hear my last FAREWEEEELLLLLLL!!!" part and the "Arrgg!" is Daryus screaming in pain.

On a different Note, I see a lot of peole thinking that Daryus "kidnapped" Xander, but to me, he was only taking him a hostage for his safety while doing his tempting offer to Arhys. What he wanted was Arhys's attention, nothing more. He never left with Xander.

Food for thoughts.
I agree for the scream the way you described it. For Xander, we know he hasn't been kidnapped, since he followed his father to heaven's cove.

Online Mladen

« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2016, 02:29:05 AM »

I love this thread. :clap:

Offline pcs90

« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »
I never thought of the scream that way and the track descriptions give the impression that JLB's scream is Gabriel, but I think I prefer your interpretation. The actual scream seems more fitting.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »
I never thought of the scream that way and the track descriptions give the impression that JLB's scream is Gabriel, but I think I prefer your interpretation. The actual scream seems more fitting.

Yeah, it seems plausible to me too.
Doesn't Jordan sometimes answer fans' questions on twitter? Maybe someone using twitter could ask him on that?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »

I love this thread. :clap:

I've never even thought of it this way but it actually makes a lot of sense and explains the part I was most underwhelmed by. Thank you!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2016, 11:53:37 AM »
Count me among those who will side with this line of thought. I understand LaBrie would not want to have to throw an ear piercing, high pitch scream like the one during Octavarium's climax, but I think he would have made it anyway a bit more potent... it's better that the actual screem is not even portrayed ('cause it would shatter our eadrums as well, hehe) and that the scream is Daryus' agony.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »

Interesting.  I hadn't thought of it that way, and I don't have the lyrics sheet available right now to see if it says whether the "Arrgg!" is Daryus.  But I like your theory.  I guess we will find out soon once the live shows start, since I'm sure there will be something on-screen to tell us.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2016, 02:38:12 PM »

Interesting.  I hadn't thought of it that way, and I don't have the lyrics sheet available right now to see if it says whether the "Arrgg!" is Daryus.  But I like your theory.  I guess we will find out soon once the live shows start, since I'm sure there will be something on-screen to tell us.
Fairly sure the ARGH isn't in the lyrics at all. So could be either.

I also like that interpretation.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
I have the CD here in front of me, I can confirm there's no "aaaargh" in the booklet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »
Still not sure about the theory as a whole though.  It does help somewhat.  But listening to the song again, the "farewell" isn't all that epic either.  I mean, it is great from a sung lyric standpoint.  But in terms of being a magical epic scream, it falls just as short as the "aaaargh!" does.  Again, I think they should have put some sort of effects on it to make it sound otherworldly.  I'm not one to normally be ticky-tack about a band's creative choices.  But since that scream is such a pivotal plot point in the story and is supposed to have such a distinctive sound, I really am baffled by why they didn't do something to make it stand out more.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
Good point about putting an effect on it. That would make it easy enough to put the same effect on it live.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Drake_Fury

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2016, 07:39:36 PM »
Hey, I'm glad to see my theory made people talk.

Now, I know the farewell is not all that incredible either, but in a lot of songs, you get figures, things that you sing to represent other things. By saying the "hear my last farewell" is the scream, I don't imply that Gabriel would just sing that to make daryus deaf, but since the sound should be deafening, why would the band put the actual sound in the listener's ears?

The scream that comes afterwards sounds much more like someone in pain than someone in rage, if you ask me... Which is why I came up with this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »
I had that same thought about putting the actual piercing scream. I doubt they want people deaf. But, it makes sense that "Aaaargh" would be Daryus, because after Gabriel sings "Farewell"  it suddenly jumps to it, which the song abruptly ends.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:59 PM »
Still not sure about the theory as a whole though.  It does help somewhat.  But listening to the song again, the "farewell" isn't all that epic either.  I mean, it is great from a sung lyric standpoint.  But in terms of being a magical epic scream, it falls just as short as the "aaaargh!" does.  Again, I think they should have put some sort of effects on it to make it sound otherworldly.  I'm not one to normally be ticky-tack about a band's creative choices.  But since that scream is such a pivotal plot point in the story and is supposed to have such a distinctive sound, I really am baffled by why they didn't do something to make it stand out more.

I'm with the bosk, that the "farewell" is no bigger than the AAARGH. It doesn't even have the grittiness of the aargh to indicate it's any type of scream. Maybe if he sung farewell as an Octavarium type scream.
There are definitely ways you can indicate that it's a deafening scream without it being deafening to the listener. It can sound distant to the listener, very echo-y and drawn out, or some other kind of vocal effect or sound effect to supplement it.
As it stands, imo it doesn't really work at all on its own.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2016, 11:49:21 PM »
-Does it say anything else?
-No!
Just "Aaargh."
Aaargh.
Do you suppose he meant the Camargue?
-Where's that?
-ln France, I think.
-lsn't there a St. Aaargh's in Cornwall?
-No, that's St. Ives.
St. Ives.
No, "Aaargh." At the back of the throat.
No, in surprise and alarm!
-You mean a sort of a "Ah!"
-Yes, that's right.
My God!
It's the Legendary Black Beast of Aaargh!

Sorry, I was ROFL and had to share the accuracy of this quote with the topic XD

I have a doubt today about the scream...maybe Gabriel holding Xander and Faythe against him does the last scream with heartbreaking pain, his voice turning down and the gift disappearing to a growling voice, that was angelic before.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »
In The Road to Revolution Daryus sings:

Arhys’ time is running out
What will your decision be?
If you still have any doubt
Think about Evangeline

Isn't it a bit weird that he mentions Evangeline? sure, he can take a wild guess that since Arhys is already widowed, he would be inclined to grant his son a life of prosperity, but why would he *exactly* know of the specific promise he made to his wife? 'cause "Think about Evangeline" looks like he exactly knows what he's talking about, which is weird...

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »
Isn't it a bit weird that he mentions Evangeline? sure, he can take a wild guess that since Arhys is already widowed, he would be inclined to grant his son a life of prosperity, but why would he *exactly* know of the specific promise he made to his wife? 'cause "Think about Evangeline" looks like he exactly knows what he's talking about, which is weird...

Yeah, I wondered about the same thing. It's definitely a gap in the storyline because I can't find it from the official synopsis either. Maybe X rambled about Evangeline to him, kids always echo the truth, you know :P
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2016, 08:34:29 AM »
Arhys is the leader of the militia - pretty sure the empire will know a lot about him.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
^ Exactly, and don't forget that the NOMAC's are also used for surveillance.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Disciple_Kickstand

« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »
So for the most part I'm fully on board with the how the story gas been written.  The plot line, the characters motivations, and actions they take all make sense for the lost part.  I am really enjoying and the family dynamics between the ravenskill clan as well as the royal family. The conflict between them works too.  The one thing I'm just not that invested in, is the romance between Gabriel and Faythe.  There is just no heat there, nothing about the way that romance is presented makes me believe it's real.  It's one of the only plot points in the story that feels to me like it is simply a tool to move the story forward rather than a plot point moved forward by the characters themselves.

Contrast this with the romantic elements of scenes and it becomes more apparent. In that story they really nail the element of romance, passion, desire, and even destiny.  Gabriel and Faythe more or less seem like muses to each other rather than two people infatuated with each other and hearing for a relationship.

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
First impressions from some initial listens and the live show video is that it's pretty cheesy. Having said that though it has been done properly, so it's difficult to find fault with the depth of the story.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2016, 08:04:27 AM »
A not so serious detail about the story... in a live, "real time" adaptation, the singer / actress portraying Faythe would have to pretend to be dying for more than 10 minutes. Faythe gets stabbed at the end of The Walking Shadow, then there's Gabriel despairing (My Last Farewell), Nafaryus and Arabelle arriving and despairing as well (Losing Faythe) and Gabriel saying he has lost his voice (Whispers in the Wind). That's 9:34 minutes, and only in the second half of Hymn of a Thousand Voices he brings her back to life.

A long agony, she should have bled out to death by the end  ;D