Author Topic: Serious DTF split-screen project  (Read 18743 times)

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: Serious DTF split-screen project
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 12:43:01 AM »
Just a suggestion here...but maybe we should start with an easier song? Nothing brand new but something that everybody knows that isn't something like Dance of Eternity? Some suggestions from me:

Pull Me Under
To Live Forever
Strange Deja Vu
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 12:45:39 AM »
Wait, so isn't it specifically songs from The Astonishing??
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 12:58:10 AM »
In order of preference:
A Life Left Behind
Three Days
Moment Of Betrayal
The Gift of Music
The Path That Divides
When Your Time Has Come

As for video, I'm not entirely certain as to what I can do with that. My family's video camera broke down a while ago & the only other options I have are my webcam (which is shit) & my iPod (which also has a shit camera). I'll see what I can do about it though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:07:23 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
What about TDEN?
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »
I think we can eventually do something from the Astonishing... maybe we don't have to right away. I mean if the consensus is let's go astonishing I'm all for it, but maybe we should do something that's been out longer than 5 days and let the album soak in a bit (although getting something fresh and new out there would turn heads). 

I agree with Lynxo though, let's start with something on the easy side (at least for DT). I'm all down with To Live Forever, as it's not on an official CD, and it's not super complex, but difficult enough we can do it.

I have to figure out how to synch video and recording as well :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
I agree with Lynxo though, let's start with something on the easy side (at least for DT). I'm all down with To Live Forever, as it's not on an official CD, and it's not super complex, but difficult enough we can do it.

Well I'm almost done with the first song on your list: Another Day (except for remembering the whole thing & playing the transition from chorus 2 to bridge (at full speed)), & after that I just need a way of recording it. To Live Forever was the 2nd song on that list, so I'd probably be doing that anyway.

Then again, I've only heard that song like twice, so I don't know how I'll go quite yet, but I'll take your word on it being easy (I do remember it being rather calm after all).

I have to figure out how to sync video and recording as well :lol

Try counting yourself in

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »
Can't find any decent bass tabs on To Live Forever, only one that's there is unfinished... :-\

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:32 AM »
I have to figure out how to synch video and recording as well :lol
Well, the most easy way is that someone creates a click track that everybody uses. And then in your case, you hook up your microphone to your computer and hit record on your computer and on your video camera (doesn't have to be at the exact same time, you could always sync it later).

Then, when you have a take you're happy with, just send a WAV file and a movie file (MP4 or something?) to whoever is in charge of putting it all together. :)

I'm not opposed to doing something from Astonishing, absolutely not! I just think that for our very first project, it might be more fitting to do something simple to get everybody familiar with the process. So instead of focusing on hunting down tabs (or learning by ear) we spend our time setting up the environment. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 03:22:25 AM »
I agree that doing a short not too difficult song first would be a good idea. What about War Inside My Head? The keyboard part is very doable, I've got sheet music for it :p (and it's only 2 minutes)

I can record my keyboard directly into the computer so sound quality won't be a problem. I don't have an amazing camera, but if the quality of the one I have is too low, I can probably borrow something  :tup
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »
I'm definitely interested in this, though I'm nursing a blister on my fretting finger so I'm not sure if I'll be available for the first song.  :tdwn

I have access to a home studio with video and can play on a 6/7-string and acoustic. I can't handle the crazy JP solos, but I'm decent at riffing and less complex solos (Lines in the Sand, Goodnight Kiss).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 04:53:08 AM »
I'm going to try to record Another Day sometime tomorrow. Where do I post it once it's done?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
Oh that'd be sweet.

I'm down with Another Day. I think that's a good song to start with.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Oh that'd be sweet.

Will they vocals will good enough for you? James does hit pretty high notes.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
Alright, it's amazing this project is having so much feedback! But we need to post some guidelines.

1) The audio has to be professionally recorded. That means, there has to be some decent recording equipment involved (interfaces, microphones, DAW manipulation, etc.).
2) The video has to be recorded as well. If you have an amazing video camera feel free to use it, but don't worry if you're stuck with your iPhone camera (like me lols). Just try to make the video look the best it can (under good lightning conditions, good stabilisation, etc.).
3) You'll send all the files to me. I'll create a dropbox folder specifically for this project in which everyone involved will be able to post their material. I'll be in charge of putting it all together.
4) We need to decide the songs we're gonna record. There's been some really cool suggestions so far, but what would you think if I take all of these songs and put them in a poll? The poll shouldn't last more than a week to make this faster, so I require your cooperation to make it quick. Once we have 3 or 4 songs that we're all okay with, we start recording!
5) Please, record yourselves with the original track as a guideline. We're playing the songs in their album tempo. and that makes the most sense.

Once again, I'm open to any suggestions! And thank you for the interest! The response has been awesome so far by you guys. Let's make of this something amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
Alright, it's amazing this project is having so much feedback! But we need to post some guidelines.

1) The audio has to be professionally recorded. That means, there has to be some decent recording equipment involved (interfaces, microphones, DAW manipulation, etc.).
2) The video has to be recorded as well. If you have an amazing video camera feel free to use it, but don't worry if you're stuck with your iPhone camera (like me lols). Just try to make the video look the best it can (under good lightning conditions, good stabilisation, etc.).
3) You'll send all the files to me. I'll create a dropbox folder specifically for this project in which everyone involved will be able to post their material. I'll be in charge of putting it all together.
4) We need to decide the songs we're gonna record. There's been some really cool suggestions so far, but what would you think if I take all of these songs and put them in a poll? The poll shouldn't last more than a week to make this faster, so I require your cooperation to make it quick. Once we have 3 or 4 songs that we're all okay with, we start recording!
5) Please, record yourselves with the original track as a guideline. We're playing the songs in their album tempo. and that makes the most sense.

Once again, I'm open to any suggestions! And thank you for the interest! The response has been awesome so far by you guys. Let's make of this something amazing.

So, do I record drums while the original DT music is played?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 11:03:24 AM »
Exactly. Just use the original track as your guideline, so we can get all of your tracks together without any problem.  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
Great
 Thank you!
This amazing project can't be possible without you!
 :tup

Offline home

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »
Is the audio quality in this video good enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VY0LtZhCCE That's about the recording quality I can get (perhaps slightly better if I tweak some stuff or use another DAW or plug in)

Another Day would be a fun song to play!   :smiley:

By the way, does anyone know if the sheet music from Jammit is accurate?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:16:23 AM by home »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »
Oh that'd be sweet.

I'm fine. Don't worry.

About videos and recording... is the expectation to do everything in one take? Like if I need more than one take, I know that will affect the video, so... I hope that makes sense.

Offline home

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 12:35:02 PM »
Oh that'd be sweet.

I'm fine. Don't worry.

About videos and recording... is the expectation to do everything in one take? Like if I need more than one take, I know that will affect the video, so... I hope that makes sense.

you could perhaps record audio and video seperately, as in first record the audio track ( in multiple takes) and than make the video. But I am not sure if that's okay...

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
And home, jammit is very reliable.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »
I don't have any problem with your tracks being a result of multiple takes. However, there has to be a video of every take so it can be edited.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
Great
 Thank you!

Thank you very much! I think there's too much talent in this forum and I'm just trying to let it all out.  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »
Guitarist with good recording equipment checking in. Capable of doing quite a lot of DT's stuff, if needed. Well, basically anything except for crazy solo sections (Glass Prison, Home, Blind Faith, This Dying Soul). I have a 7-stringed guitar as well. I'd be happy to contribute if needed. If you want to see what I do, here is a random live video of my band. (I am the guitarist :) )

Anyway, good luck :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2016, 04:43:45 PM »
Excellent! I'm counting you in. Very nice to know you have a 7-string, so you'll totally be considered for such songs that require it.

I was thinking earlier: What would you guys think if we made a poll to know who's gonna play each song? If we have multiple guitarists, we can make the whole thing much smoother.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
Great
 Thank you!

Thank you very much! I think there's too much talent in this forum and I'm just trying to let it all out.  :D

Good catch! And your very welcome! This will be big and we'll all do great! I can't wait to hear your keyboards! Have you heard of VetKeyboardist?

Excellent! I'm counting you in. Very nice to know you have a 7-string, so you'll totally be considered for such songs that require it.

I was thinking earlier: What would you guys think if we made a poll to know who's gonna play each song? If we have multiple guitarists, we can make the whole thing much smoother.

The poll sounds like a really good idea. I have a few songs I'm eager to record.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2016, 05:15:18 PM »
If I don't get any dramas during recording, I should be uploading my part in around 15-30 minutes (waiting for my iPod & laptop to charge).

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2016, 05:34:24 PM »
I have to double check with my wife and see if I can record at her music lesson studio at her work. If not, it'll be a bit before I can record as I don't have recoding equipment here at home. My dad does, but it'll be a couple months before I make it up to the 'rents

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2016, 06:56:44 PM »
Done. What's the Dropbox link?

Offline home

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
So are we definitely going to do Another Day first then? I'd really like to do the piano part for it  :smiley:

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »
 I don't know if anyone is out right said let's do another day, but I'm cool with that

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »
Another Day is cool.

Also I finally finished recording ITPOE.

Offline home

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »
But do we have someone playing Saxophone?  :D

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
You could play it on the keyboards just like JR

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2016, 01:03:45 PM »
But do we have someone playing Saxophone?  :D

Uhm, I could do it, but I don't play the sax that often these days. There are some DTF'ers that play the sax though and they could likely do so better than me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey