Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 520041 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3885 on: October 08, 2016, 09:07:23 AM »
I also just looked, for the Worcester venue there's a massive amount of seats left. It looks like they will play in front of a half-empty venue.

So they've been advertising their Astonishing live like crazy with so many Facebook posts and YouTube videos. Are they scrambling to fill seats? Are their shows not doing well?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3886 on: October 08, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
I think the first leg did reasonably well, but the second one, I mean, seriously, what's the point of going if you saw the first one. The show isn't really that visually exciting, it's just them playing in front of screens that show semi-related imagery, most of it not even particularly good.
And to tie into the ongoing discussion, it's not as if DT as a band is allll that engaging. James isn't a classic front man, and JM has a 1-meter circle he doesn't move away from.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3887 on: October 08, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
Part of the allure of seeing DT in the old days was that every set list was different.   Now, it's the same show and once is enough.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3888 on: October 08, 2016, 09:20:15 AM »
Yeah, seriously. I can totally see it having been a major pain in the butt for DT to have all these songs in possible rotation, but in the old days you knew that seeing DT twice for the same tour meant seeing some new songs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3889 on: October 08, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
Right.  That's why I skipped the Concord NH show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3890 on: October 08, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
I knew it was supposed to be a real theater atmosphere, but I couldn't help but feel a bit uncomfortable watch a metal rock show while sitting and the few people around me (among many empty seats) just sating there with blank looks on their faces. It felt so impersonal. I definitely wouldn't want to go through that again unless I felt like I could support the band more than just...sitting there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3891 on: October 08, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
Green day for me too probably and I definitely prefer a spontaneous band like that over a band that basically plays the CD live.

I saw them in 2009 and they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes and after that I was ready to go home.

Standing in one place gets old after 5 hours.
Neither here nor there, but I remember an interview with Tre and he was talking about how they don't play with a click track live because he feels that it ruins the experience and that it doesn't feel natural

I could never play to a click. That's not what playing live is to me and it would feel like an exam and not a gig.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3892 on: October 08, 2016, 10:20:24 AM »
At the Baltimore show last spring, I met a couple and their kids from Florida, saw NC and PA and Va and TN license plates in the parking garage.....it was the closest/most convenient day for many to attend.  Most are not going to see TA again.  We did enjoy the first experience, to sit and watch and listen and enjoy, but not again.

On the heels of an album/tour that has had lukewarm responses, the band toured again, and often in oversaturated areas.  The band did not ask, but......a 60 minute 'best of' TA, followed by 75-90 minutes of 9-12 tracks from a rotating list of 15-18 songs would have worked out so much better.  I would have gone to a weeknight show in PA, and my wife would have joined me for tonight's gig, if something along these lines had been offered.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3893 on: October 08, 2016, 05:37:25 PM »
I don't get the not wanting to see the same show/set list twice.  I saw them twice on the Metropolis 2000 tour in the spring of '00, both of which had the exact same set lists, and the second time was even more amazing than the first. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3894 on: October 08, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »
Kev, we're saying nobody wants to eat at McDonald's twice in a row, whereas you're saying you've eaten two five-star dinners in a row. Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3895 on: October 08, 2016, 06:19:43 PM »
Kev, we're saying nobody wants to eat at McDonald's twice in a row, whereas you're saying you've eaten two five-star dinners in a row. Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

Rumbo I love you buddy, but I'm pretty sure comparing The Astonishing to McDonalds won't get you a ton of support here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3896 on: October 08, 2016, 06:30:24 PM »
Well, the analogy was obviously a bit exaggerated. But, the point is that *obviously* very few people will have a problem watching a rendition of the top 1 album of a band twice. TA live is far less exciting, and so maybe it shouldn't be too surprising when people say "it's only gotten more mechanical over the years, so I would see an exact duplicate of a show that already wasn't too exciting".

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #3897 on: October 08, 2016, 09:16:22 PM »
Green day for me too probably and I definitely prefer a spontaneous band like that over a band that basically plays the CD live.

I saw them in 2009 and they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes and after that I was ready to go home.

Neither here nor there, but I remember an interview with Tre and he was talking about how they don't play with a click track live because he feels that it ruins the experience and that it doesn't feel natural

I could never play to a click. That's not what playing live is to me and it would feel like an exam and not a gig.

An exam and kind of cheating at it. But I understand that for that act there are some music pre recorded and to mix the whole thing together is easier with a click. I'm not a big fan of that for any kind of live shows though.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #3898 on: October 08, 2016, 09:23:31 PM »
At the Baltimore show last spring, I met a couple and their kids from Florida, saw NC and PA and Va and TN license plates in the parking garage.....it was the closest/most convenient day for many to attend.  Most are not going to see TA again.  We did enjoy the first experience, to sit and watch and listen and enjoy, but not again.

On the heels of an album/tour that has had lukewarm responses, the band toured again, and often in oversaturated areas.  The band did not ask, but......a 60 minute 'best of' TA, followed by 75-90 minutes of 9-12 tracks from a rotating list of 15-18 songs would have worked out so much better.  I would have gone to a weeknight show in PA, and my wife would have joined me for tonight's gig, if something along these lines had been offered.

That would have pleased me and I would have definitely go. If the show would be really good, they would have no problems selling it. I used to go to all Rush shows, in their best years up to 3 shows in a row in Montreal.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online Adami

« Reply #3899 on: October 08, 2016, 10:23:20 PM »

An exam and kind of cheating at it. But I understand that for that act there are some music pre recorded and to mix the whole thing together is easier with a click. I'm not a big fan of that for any kind of live shows though.

Depends on the genre. I used to play in both an industrial metal band and a symphonic metal band. The symphonic metal band couldn't find a keyboardist, so I (the drummer) played the show to a click and had all of the keyboards as backing track.

Same with the industrial band since there were like 5-10 keyboards going on at once, often set to specific tempos and could only be done live via backing tracks to a click.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3900 on: October 09, 2016, 12:45:09 AM »
They did two European tours in 2014 with the exact same set list and it was so awesome that I needed to see it on both legs. First time it was sitting down far back on the balcony in an indoor venue during the winter, the second one was front rows in open air during the summer time. Completely different experiences.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3901 on: October 09, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »
You guys are focusing way too heavily on extremes.

DT12 tour was the same every night but it was a really nice variety. Different periods of the band were represented and there were a lot of rare tunes. It was a show that would be worth seeing multiple times I'd say.

The Astonishing tour was one album. One period of the band's history and really in a single style for the most part. Unless you're a big fan of that album, you're not going to get much out of seeing it multiple times. To be fair, someone brought up the Scenes tour, same thing there. The only difference is it's much more highly regarded among fans. If The Astonishing was more universally acclaimed and the tour was as immersive as they made it out to be, there'd be more people attending the shows.

On the other hand, I'm ok with them not rotating setlists as heavily as they did with MP. Sure multiple shows might not be as special, but I was personally relieved that they weren't rotating the DT12 setlist because that was exactly the setlist I wanted to see. The happy medium is probably the ADTOE tour: Have three or four different setlists or maybe a set of ~30 songs rehearsed with lighting/video directions and choose 15 of those every night.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Adami

« Reply #3902 on: October 09, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
Another difference with the Scenes tour is they didn't only play Scenes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3903 on: October 09, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »

I wouldn't get to excited over the medley they played after the Scenes album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #3904 on: October 09, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »

I wouldn't get to excited over the medley they played after the Scenes album.

Hm? I can only base it off the Live Scenes DVD, but there was a hell of a set list after the album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3905 on: October 09, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
Well yeah, but that wasn't anywhere near representative of the tour. That was really just a one off, save for the previous night's "run through".

Through the second leg did have a much varied setlist. They didn't do the entire album on the second leg.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3906 on: October 09, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »
Right, the spring tour in 2000 was all of Scenes and then the I&W/WDADU medley as the encore.  That was it.  And it was awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3907 on: October 09, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
I'm not a medley guy. But the play through of the album was great. That was a the tour that I really noticed a huge uptick in attendance and buzz.

Online Adami

« Reply #3908 on: October 09, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
Right, the spring tour in 2000 was all of Scenes and then the I&W/WDADU medley as the encore.  That was it.  And it was awesome.

Fascinating. Learn something new every day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #3909 on: October 10, 2016, 05:02:54 AM »
Here's what I saw on the SFAM tour - when I saw DT two days in a row back to back (first EU leg):

Night 1:
SFAM
Peruvian Skies
Erotomania
Paradigm Shift
When Images And Words Unite

Night 2
Falling Into A Change Of Awake   (basically a medley of some of the songs featured on LFSNY)
When Images And Words Unite

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3910 on: October 10, 2016, 06:18:54 AM »

Fascinating. You learn something new every day.

Wow I didn't know that yesterday!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3911 on: October 10, 2016, 07:27:56 AM »

And I only saw them once that tour as well.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3912 on: October 10, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
Those were the days for me where I saw them for each leg. If they came around twice, all the better.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #3913 on: October 10, 2016, 08:29:21 AM »
Like always on DTF, I think these are complaints on a very high level, I saw TA twice this year in Paris and in Frankfurt, I really loved it, it was very different to the 8 DT concerts I saw before that, but just the right thing for TA.

After beeing at the concerts I liked TA even more, it did bring the whole thing to live, the guys are so nice, brilliant and humble when you get to talk to them.
It always almost hurts me when people complain about stuff I just don't get.
I really hope there will be a TA DVD.

I am looking forward to a new album with harder material, but TA is very much up on my favorite list.
 :metal :hefdaddy :heart
Carpe diem baby

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3914 on: October 10, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
Well, the analogy was obviously a bit exaggerated. But, the point is that *obviously* very few people will have a problem watching a rendition of the top 1 album of a band twice. TA live is far less exciting, and so maybe it shouldn't be too surprising when people say "it's only gotten more mechanical over the years, so I would see an exact duplicate of a show that already wasn't too exciting".

I'd have no problem seeing TA performed again in it's entirety, the reason it's not interesting the second time though is this:

I knew it was supposed to be a real theater atmosphere, but I couldn't help but feel a bit uncomfortable watch a metal rock show while sitting and the few people around me (among many empty seats) just sating there with blank looks on their faces. It felt so impersonal. I definitely wouldn't want to go through that again unless I felt like I could support the band more than just...sitting there.

Also, a medley encore would have done wonders for this tour.  They should have looked at SFAM tour as an example of how to proceed with the second leg.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3915 on: October 10, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Like always on DTF, I think these are complaints on a very high level, I saw TA twice this year in Paris and in Frankfurt, I really loved it, it was very different to the 8 DT concerts I saw before that, but just the right thing for TA.

After beeing at the concerts I liked TA even more, it did bring the whole thing to live, the guys are so nice, brilliant and humble when you get to talk to them.

I am looking forward to a new album with harder material, but TA is very much up on my favorite list.

I think I'm on the same page as you. I saw the band at Radio City and thought they were amazing (although it was my first DT show, so I'm probably biased). Whether or not the band plays with a click or rotates their setlist doesn't really matter to me. I'm still going to see songs I like being played by some of the best musicians in the world.

That said, obviously if you're not as high on TA as us, this tour probably isn't for you. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3916 on: October 10, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »

I think I'm on the same page as you. I saw the band at Radio City and thought they were amazing (although it was my first DT show, so I'm probably biased). Whether or not the band plays with a click or rotates their setlist doesn't really matter to me. I'm still going to see songs I like being played by some of the best musicians in the world.

That said, obviously if you're not as high on TA as us, this tour probably isn't for you. :lol

Same here. I enjoyed it immensely and didn't mind the set because it is billed as "DT presents". I don't think they could have done any better with their budget and limitations. The concept is about music, so the music is what comes first and is all you need to enjoy it.

I knew darn well once they announced the final track list what was gonna happen with this release, and was happy DT chose to just do it and see what happens.

In a way it is a play and should be viewed as such. The screens are helping you view the world a bit and give you an insight. Also, I can imagine the entire album as its played, even seeing Faythe running the castle halls. And all that fun stuff.

Unrelated: I saw The Lion King and it just made me want a production of The Astonishing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Donmac1989

• "Our deeds have traveled far."
« Reply #3917 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:09 PM »
Personally I can't argue, I'm going to Dream Theater Presents The Astonishing Live for the final leg. This marks the first time I'd get to see them live, was too young and dumb to have seen them 11 years ago for the Gigantour when they came the first time to my knowledge. So I feel excited to get to see them in concert.
This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #3918 on: October 10, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
At the Wilkes-Barre show, I was talking to someone at set break who didn't know the story, and I think didn't realize the show would just be TA. So I tried to do a quickie storyline cliffs notes, and when I got to "then the dictator has a change of heart" - she says "so it's like Footloose."

So there you have it - I love this album and show, but if I had to boil it down to a bumper sticker, I'd say "Hunger Games meets Footloose."

Also, I really want a post-script when the NOMACS crash. I want one of them to pop open and we hear "all this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted...."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3919 on: October 10, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
Great! Now whenever I hear those opening chords of "Our New World" this is what I'm going to see in my head.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens