Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518657 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3850 on: October 03, 2016, 11:20:13 PM »
At least you tried by going to the show. But me, after a couple of months listening to the album, I was not psyched up for that.

I have mixed feelings about this approach.  I mean, on one hand, if you are a fan of the band, I feel like you maybe shouldn't write off the possibility that seeing the songs live will make the come alive for you, and you will connect with them in a way that you connect with other songs from them.  But on the other hand, you know yourself, and if you just don't care for the album, it is kind of pointless to go to a show where the entire show is going to be that album.  So I can see both sides, I guess.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3851 on: October 04, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
This album has not lost any steam for me. I'll take a break from it for a while, but when I return to it, it just keeps getting better. I think it's by far their most melodic album, and they have never been short on good melodies on all their albums.
 I really hope they do something special as far as making a dvd production from this tour.  It would be a crime not to!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3852 on: October 04, 2016, 11:55:51 AM »
This album has not lost any steam for me. I'll take a break from it for a while, but when I return to it, it just keeps getting better. I think it's by far their most melodic album, and they have never been short on good melodies on all their albums.
 I really hope they do something special as far as making a dvd production from this tour.  It would be a crime not to!

This. I'll proudly say that this album has topped I&W as my favorite album and I can't wait to see it played live for the third time. I play it almost daily.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3853 on: October 04, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
Haken, Between the Buried and Me, Symphony X, and yes Opeth are IMHO putting out better stuff these day.

Haken's Affinity really hit the spot that DT was missing this year in terms of progressive metal for me.  Granted I really like TA.  My only hold back on not seeing this tour is the presentation (not the music).  I LOVE concerts, but one of the main reasons why is because I love the experience of the concert.  Singing, moving, taking pictures, talking to other fans.... there is none of that in these shows and it just makes me feel more like I'm seeing a Broadway show and I've already seen the show so I keep contemplating the value of seeing it again.

The RCMH show was a lot of fun, but the Newark NJ show looks like a wasteland on a weeknight.  I've seen DT a couple times before at less than half filled venues and those concerts were not that fun overall compared to other DT shows.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3854 on: October 04, 2016, 03:21:24 PM »

This. I'll proudly say that this album has topped I&W as my favorite album and I can't wait to see it played live for the third time. I play it almost daily.

Nice to see others who think so highly of the album. I love it to death and play it often. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3855 on: October 04, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »

Nice to see others who think so highly of the album. I love it to death and play it often. :metal

Definitely in my top 5 DT albums. I still play it a lot as well!

Offline Evai

« Reply #3856 on: October 04, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »
I have come up with the perfect alternate ending to The Astonishing: After Whispers On The Wind, play Disappear  :) rip faythe
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:04:34 AM by Evai »
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline skipreid

« Reply #3857 on: October 05, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »
Sorry I still can't get into this album. I just don't like it at all. I gave up around March and said I would try again later. I did that in September, but it's just not for me.
It's awesome that so many of you think it's great. I am glad you have something you like listening to. For me, it's been a 2 year DT void now. I will get excited when they hit the studio again. At least there is lots of DT material to go back and listen to though.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3858 on: October 05, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
Sorry I still can't get into this album. I just don't like it at all. I gave up around March and said I would try again later. I did that in September, but it's just not for me.
It's awesome that so many of you think it's great. I am glad you have something you like listening to. For me, it's been a 2 year DT void now. I will get excited when they hit the studio again. At least there is lots of DT material to go back and listen to though.

Even though the album was a huge grower for me, I'd advise you to not try to force yourself to like it. DT have a great and regular schedule for releasing albums so that even when one doesn't hit, chances are that the next one will hit if past efforts have been successful. If one day you find yourself thinking "hmm, I think I'll listen to TA" with genuine interest then great, but if not there is a load of DT to listen to already like you said.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3859 on: October 05, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »

I'm curious - for those who don't like TA as a whole, surely there are SOME songs you like. Our New World for instance seems to me a song that should have massive appeal, along with A New Beginning and many others.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3860 on: October 05, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »
I'm in the same boat as LTE3. I actually saw DT for this album when they played in Boston, in the hope that maybe live the album would connect better. And of course, a certain amount of "I have seen them for every album since Awake, can't break the streak".

The show was really lifeless, IMHO. They're now coming back to Worcester, MA next week, but I have no desire to go as it will be the same performance down to the millisecond. Back in the day, under MP, you could have the hope of a unique rendition of the songs. These days it's all so mechanized, you've seen one rendition you've seen them all.

I also just looked, for the Worcester venue there's a massive amount of seats left. It looks like they will play in front of a half-empty venue.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:19:40 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3861 on: October 05, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
I'm with Rumborak.  I could see them in Concord  but I've seen it all ready.  I don't want to see the same show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3862 on: October 05, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »
DT also needs to get their pricing under control. I saw Opeth for $35 last weekend, whereas DT's cheapest seats these days are $60 and more.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3863 on: October 05, 2016, 09:13:45 PM »
DT also needs to get their pricing under control. I saw Opeth for $35 last weekend, whereas DT's cheapest seats these days are $60 and more.
I got DT tickets at the box office in Seattle for $39.00 each back in May. Middle balcony. Great show and I would see it again. It wasn't sold out, the upper teir of the balcony was empty. It was a Tuesday night however, then again concept albums aren't as well received as they were in the seventies, which is too bad.. The crowd that night was enthusiastic though.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3864 on: October 06, 2016, 05:48:36 AM »

I'm curious - for those who don't like TA as a whole, surely there are SOME songs you like. Our New World for instance seems to me a song that should have massive appeal, along with A New Beginning and many others.

This is my favorite DT album to date and ONW is one of my least favorite tracks  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3865 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:36 AM »

Dream Theater shows seem to be more on the expensive side, and they also seem to be at venues that are larger than the band can really fill. There's probably a good financial reason to do it that way, but I've often wondered if the band members wouldn't prefer playing at smaller places that are guaranteed to be sold out each night, even if it means maybe making a little less in the aggregate.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #3866 on: October 06, 2016, 10:05:52 PM »

You're right. There are songs I like and Our new world is one of them. About 5 songs over all I like. The album is very melodic but the energy in it is something different I don't like. I still listen to it on YouTube (the only DT album I don't have and very likely not going to buy ever) but my opinion is about the same.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #3867 on: October 06, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
I got DT tickets at the box office in Seattle for $39.00 each back in May. Middle balcony. Great show and I would see it again. It wasn't sold out, the upper teir of the balcony was empty. It was a Tuesday night however, then again concept albums aren't as well received as they were in the seventies, which is too bad.. The crowd that night was enthusiastic though.

Concept albums are well received when they are very good. One problem here is that this album is the show. It's not like going to a show when you don't necessaraly like a lot the new concept album but you say, let's go. We will have the classics and let's give it a try to the strange new thing ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3868 on: October 07, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
Am I the only person who has no intention of ever seeing a Dream theater concert ?

I'm not the biggest fan of live gigs. Once in a blue moon. But with DT playing to a click and triggering stuff - you're pretty much gonna get the CD but super loud.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3869 on: October 07, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
Am I the only person who has no intention of ever seeing a Dream theater concert ?

I'm not the biggest fan of live gigs. Once in a blue moon. But with DT playing to a click and triggering stuff - you're pretty much gonna get the CD but super loud.

Wait you've never seen DT live?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3870 on: October 07, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »

???

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3871 on: October 07, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »

The fuck?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3872 on: October 07, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
No i've never seen DT live.

I'm not big on going to gigs as it is.

And from what I hear - they just sort of stand there and play to a click. That would be boring to me.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #3873 on: October 07, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »

I know that bands are often playing to a click nowadays. The son of an old friend is making a good living since graduating in music, playing drums for artists on tour. He plays always with a click, I could not believe it. I mean, the drummer used to be the leader and I can believe they do that even for a 3 chord rock song.

I'm surprise if bands play with a click through a whole show. If Rush was doing that, I would be disapointed. Why doing it now when you were able to play that complicated music with just your talent, instinct and abilities.

I have a hard time thinking that for someone like you who has a lot of opinions about DT, you never saw them live, it's a first for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3874 on: October 07, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »
I'll stick with the live DVDs.

:D

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3875 on: October 07, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »

That makes two of us. The only big show I ever went to was Green Day back in 2005. It was great, but it's not really my thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3876 on: October 07, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
Green day for me too probably and I definitely prefer a spontaneous band like that over a band that basically plays the CD live.

I saw them in 2009 and they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes and after that I was ready to go home.

Standing in one place gets old after 5 hours.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3877 on: October 07, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
I know that bands are often playing to a click nowadays. The son of an old friend is making a good living since graduating in music, playing drums for artists on tour. He plays always with a click, I could not believe it. I mean, the drummer used to be the leader and I can believe they do that even for a 3 chord rock song.

I would be surprised if a hired gun, touring drummer would not be told he was going to be playing to click in that situation. Usually, artists that hire touring musicians like that have a musical director that literally would hand the drummer all the click tracks pre-programmed for the show in rehearsals. That's the norm nowadays. I have several friends that have gotten gigs as touring musicians and that's pretty much been there experience every time. As a side note though, I'd bet you that 90% of the audience either (1) doesn't even know what a click track is or (2) can't tell or doesn't notice during the show that the band is using one.

Click tracks aside though, Kotow you should go to a DT show. Do it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3878 on: October 07, 2016, 01:42:45 PM »
And from what I hear - they just sort of stand there and play to a click. That would be boring to me.

I'll stick with the live DVDs.

So you know what to expect at a concert if you've seen the DVDs.  To each their own.  I found the DT12 tour to be an amazing live concert experience.  Even with the same setlist and click track I saw that show three times.  I'm not crazy about the fact they kind of just stand there, but they are also playing such complicated music that running around isn't really possible.  Green Day vs. Dream Theater is quite a difference of live experiences if you ask me, so I get what you are saying.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3879 on: October 07, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »

I would be surprised if a hired gun, touring drummer would not be told he was going to be playing to click in that situation. Usually, artists that hire touring musicians like that have a musical director that literally would hand the drummer all the click tracks pre-programmed for the show in rehearsals. That's the norm nowadays. I have several friends that have gotten gigs as touring musicians and that's pretty much been there experience every time. As a side note though, I'd bet you that 90% of the audience either (1) doesn't even know what a click track is or (2) can't tell or doesn't notice during the show that the band is using one.

I doubt many people realize how many bands do use a click track, especially if they're more well known. You've got lighting that is usually the same each night to be timed at certain spots, like a spotlight. And if you've got videos, their is synchronicity issues that can arise. Dream Theater are lucky to get an engineer that is basically playing live as well, especially with them changing setlists every stop.

I have no problem with them playing to a click as certain songs required it when MP would ruin it by the tempo.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:37:18 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evai

« Reply #3880 on: October 07, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
I'm not crazy about the fact they kind of just stand there, but they are also playing such complicated music that running around isn't really possible

Well, they could, but they don't feel that need anymore
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3881 on: October 07, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »

All opinions are valid, but it's kinda weird that you assume it's gonna be boring without having experienced it beforehand. A live concert, regardless of its format, is an experience filled with emotion and excitement. Why do you think electronic music concerts are so popular? Even though there's not really a 'musical performance' going on per se, there's something magical in watching the artist doing his/her thing on a stage. It's ok if you're not big on gigs, but it's just kinda weird given you're a musician lol.

Also, speaking of The Astonishing, I think you're missing on quite something big because this album was meant for live performance. After seeing this show twice, I can't really go back to listening to the album as much as I used to because the live concert was the best way ever to experience this album.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3882 on: October 07, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »
I'm not crazy about the fact they kind of just stand there, but they are also playing such complicated music that running around isn't really possible

Well, they could, but they don't feel that need anymore

Anymore? Sure they rocked out on stage much more in their younger years, but DT has never been known as a band that really moves much on stage.  It's never been a hinder to the concerts I went to.  Even seeing TA I didn't think the band's on stage movement factored into my enjoyment of the show.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #3883 on: October 07, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »

I think he knows when he is playing to a clicked track. I saw this kid a few times. I never noticed the click but he puts some performances on his Facebook page and sometimes we hear the click when the recording comes from his earplugs. That's how I found it and told him I was very surprised to say the least.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3884 on: October 07, 2016, 10:28:54 PM »
Green day for me too probably and I definitely prefer a spontaneous band like that over a band that basically plays the CD live.

I saw them in 2009 and they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes and after that I was ready to go home.

Standing in one place gets old after 5 hours.
Neither here nor there, but I remember an interview with Tre and he was talking about how they don't play with a click track live because he feels that it ruins the experience and that it doesn't feel natural
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen