Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518680 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3535 on: May 27, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »
"The next album is going to be different."

</sarcasm>
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3536 on: May 29, 2016, 12:14:53 AM »
Not sure what they could do next that wouldn't be a letdown for me relative to TA, to be honest  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3537 on: May 29, 2016, 02:35:48 AM »
Not sure what they could do next that wouldn't be a letdown for me relative to TA, to be honest  :lol

TA is one of my top 3 DT albums....
Did not think they had it in them to do such a masterpiece this late in their career.
This would be very hard to top.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3538 on: May 29, 2016, 03:46:16 AM »

For me it would mean taking this approach of focusing on melodies and let the song theme direct the music and use it for regular songs.

Only in a concept album you would get a short, full 2 minutes song or one that starts very theatrical and ends in a metal jazz section, why can't this happen on a "normal" album? DT12 was a conscious attempt in doing more concise songs, now I would like the next album to have songs of a wide array of lenghts that can be as unique and peculiar in their structure as the ones on The Astonishing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3539 on: May 29, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »

For me it would mean taking this approach of focusing on melodies and let the song theme direct the music and use it for regular songs.

Only in a concept album you would get a short, full 2 minutes song or one that starts very theatrical and ends in a metal jazz section, why can't this happen on a "normal" album? DT12 was a conscious attempt in doing more concise songs, now I would like the next album to have songs of a wide array of lenghts that can be as unique and peculiar in their structure as the ones on The Astonishing.

Agreed 100%.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3540 on: May 31, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
I don't see them doing anything that would be a "let down," to be honest.  The last three albums have all been top notch.  I see no reason to doubt that the trend will continue.  Even if I end up not liking the next one as much as the last three, I am confident it will be quality.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #3541 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »
It is impossible for the next album to be a let down unless they go country style and even so.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #3542 on: June 01, 2016, 06:17:09 AM »

TA is one of my top 3 DT albums....
Did not think they had it in them to do such a masterpiece this late in their career.
This would be very hard to top.

much agreed
I think TA is a masterpiece
I find myself not wanting to listen to their back catalog
this is a first for me...
we'll see how it holds up over time

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3543 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »
While listening to TA most of the time, Octavarium has been finding it's way to my CD player alot lately..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3544 on: June 02, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »
Interesting.  Me too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3545 on: June 02, 2016, 11:53:26 AM »
It should never be a case of "topping" the previous album(s). They should just do what they want to do. And, based on their record, "what they want to do" usually ends up being pretty awesome music.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3546 on: June 02, 2016, 10:27:20 PM »
While listening to TA most of the time, Octavarium has been finding it's way to my CD player alot lately..

The music, yes. Absolutely. Been listening to it a lot lately. The album, not so much...

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3547 on: June 03, 2016, 03:16:27 AM »
Interesting.  Me too.

Same here... any explanation?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3548 on: June 03, 2016, 08:13:19 AM »
Interesting.  Me too.

Same here... any explanation?

Not really.  It just felt underplayed.  I hadn't really listened to it at all in a long time, and I found myself wanting to listen to the title track, so I have been spinning the whole thing.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3549 on: June 03, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
Tuesday I was listening to the symphonic tribute Eren Basbug did with some young folks playing Octavarium. Brilliant, just made me eager to listen to the original song.

Maybe it happens because of the overly used orchestra elements on TA and it resembles something on 8V. Who knows?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #3550 on: June 08, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
It is impossible for the next album to be a let down unless they go country style and even so.

Progressive country? :lol :puke:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3551 on: June 08, 2016, 12:32:40 PM »

Country is never good no matter what type it is.  :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3552 on: June 08, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »

Country is never good no matter what type it is.  :lol

Casualties of Cool exists though. That's pretty good. Not sure if it's actually country though.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3553 on: June 08, 2016, 01:13:48 PM »
Casualties of Cool exists though. That's pretty good. Not sure if it's actually country though.

Yeah except in my opinion it's pretty bad.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3554 on: June 08, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »
One thing I realized is that the album works best when listened in full, or in two halves at best. I remember once that I listened it going back and to from work and with other pauses for other stuff in between, so I was stopping more than once, and I basically listened to Power Down and Astonishing to close it up only after dinner, and it wasn't satisfying as usual. Whenever I hear it in full, it's still goosebumps.

I remember reading once a quote from Neil Young saying something along the lines of "I couldn't perform Rocking in the Free World in a TV show, I have to get there after two hours of sweat on stage"... I guess it's the same with The Astonishing, to truly enjoy the gran finale of the album and the story I have to get there having spent 2 hours or so in the album's world.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3555 on: June 08, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »

Oh.

:sadpanda:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3556 on: June 08, 2016, 08:48:27 PM »

Oh.

:sadpanda:
I think Casualties of Cool is better than some of DTP's albums. I love it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3557 on: June 08, 2016, 09:36:18 PM »

It's not. It has bits of a country vibe here and there, but still not nearly enough to be labeled as such.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3558 on: June 09, 2016, 05:06:17 AM »

It's not. It has bits of a country vibe here and there, but still not nearly enough to be labeled as such.

That sounds right. The country bits it does have though, are very good IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3559 on: June 09, 2016, 06:12:50 AM »
Fortunately, those bits sound like old school country, not the modern day, bubble gum, pop country horse shit.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #3560 on: June 10, 2016, 05:04:50 AM »
I've been a bit late to listening to this album. Took me a while to get around to fully listening to it but the last few days I've been playing it non stop and honestly, I think it's phenomenal. It blows me away every time I listen and contrary to a lot of opinions on here, disc two actually has some of my favourite moments on the album. The climaxes in Losing Faythe and in Hymn of a Thousand Voices are really special.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3561 on: June 10, 2016, 05:31:30 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:08:52 AM by Moor »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3562 on: June 10, 2016, 05:44:07 AM »
Looks like Daryus gave him the gift  :lol

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3563 on: June 10, 2016, 06:11:44 AM »
I deleted my post, because upon reading the video description again I found out the following:

Octavarium a Dream Theater Tribute Band of RNRU performed at Duffy's Ale House on June 4th, 2016

I googled RNRU and found several definitions, among them Regional Neurological Rehabilitation Unit. So I am not sure whether the cover is related to anything like this, however, I preferred to be on the safe side.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3564 on: June 10, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Is it my imagination or they announced some months ago that they were gonna release a game? I feel like it's been ages.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3565 on: June 10, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »
Is it my imagination or they announced some months ago that they were gonna release a game? I feel like it's been ages.  :lol
Well, on one press release it was stated the game would be released on late April. But, on anothe one (I think on the company's Facebook profile), the release date is "Q2 2016", so it could still be released this month.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3566 on: June 14, 2016, 12:15:13 AM »
Awesome acoustic cover for A new Beginning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQm0phHvUd4

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3567 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dml7W37AWlY

Hymn of a Thousand Voices with Tour Visuals.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #3568 on: June 14, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »
Wow! This a great thread.
Haven't really paid closer attention to TA after listening to it two or three times when it was released.
Definitely superior than the last DT-with-Portnoy albums, but somehow haven't been able to be seduced by it.
Same thing happened to me back in the day when I listened to SFAM for the first 2 or 3 times; it was only after the 4th time that I started to like it. Hope the same thing happens to me with TA.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »

Dream Theater Outhouse.