Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519956 times)

Offline Rattlehead

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3465 on: May 16, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »
Didn't take long for this album to become my favorite DT album since SDoIT… I was a bit late to the party as I've only had it for a little over a month, but I'm really hooked on it  :metal It kind of restored my love for the band, as I hadn't listened to them in what feels like a long time before I bought The Astonishing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3466 on: May 16, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
I always find myself listening to just 2285 Entr'acte through to The Path That Divides. That's a good run of songs!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3467 on: May 16, 2016, 08:03:26 PM »
Has anyone else noticed the tiny fact that every other person is mentioned by name at some point,but Daryus and Xander are always just called sons?

As mentioned before, Xander has been mentioned. But I love how Daryus' name was never mentioned. It gives the impression of not really being cared for by Nafaryus, which is why he's always trying to prove himself to his father who obviously shows more affection for Faythe.

"And I won't have to stand
In Faythe's dark shadow anymore
I am through with being pushed aside
Tired of fighting for my father's pride"

I do find the following lines by Nafaryus in Astonishing too cold BECAUSE HE STILL PLAYS FAVORITES UNTIL THE END:

"When the light of my existence
Was slipping through my hands
Pride and ignorance receded
To reveal the humbled man

My prince, my son
You got lost along the way
In light of this new burden that you face
You are forgiven at this day!"

Bad father!  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3468 on: May 17, 2016, 05:15:28 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the tiny fact that every other person is mentioned by name at some point,but Daryus and Xander are always just called sons?

As mentioned before, Xander has been mentioned. But I love how Daryus' name was never mentioned. It gives the impression of not really being cared for by Nafaryus, which is why he's always trying to prove himself to his father who obviously shows more affection for Faythe.

"And I won't have to stand
In Faythe's dark shadow anymore
I am through with being pushed aside
Tired of fighting for my father's pride"

I do find the following lines by Nafaryus in Astonishing too cold BECAUSE HE STILL PLAYS FAVORITES UNTIL THE END:

"When the light of my existence
Was slipping through my hands
Pride and ignorance receded
To reveal the humbled man

My prince, my son
You got lost along the way
In light of this new burden that you face
You are forgiven at this day!"

Bad father!  :lol

The part about Daryus is sung/spoken by Arabelle. The storytelling seemed to have her the one who would typically talk to him.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3469 on: May 20, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
I find it funny Act of Faythe and A Life left Behind both start with "I never knew."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3470 on: May 20, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
A Tempting Offer is one of my favorites off the album. The chord progression is so amazing.
Agreed.  I hate to keep repeating myself, but the 4 song run from Ravenskill through The X Aspect (excluding the NOMAC interlude as a "song") is my favorite part of the album.  Those 4 are among the strongest on the album, and to have them back to back is just incredible.
I agree completely, except I would actually extend it to A Lie Left Behind also.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #3471 on: May 20, 2016, 12:13:49 PM »
My favorite since Six Degrees.  Truthfully, all I skip are the Nomac interludes.  I love the varied instruments, Jordan's piano work, the vocal performance from James, and of course John's other worldly guitar playing.  That said, I think I'm more forgiving about what I don't like on the album since it's a one-off and so extremely different from the rest of the catalog.
Is it top five for me?  I'm not sure yet but I do know that since January 29th (after countess listens + 1 live show), my interest has not yet waned.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3472 on: May 20, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
my interest has not yet waned.

neither has mine.  I took a break after seeing the show because I had listened so much at that point, but I still find myself playing it fairly regularly. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3473 on: May 20, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
It's weird when you're sure a singer sings something and when you see the official lyrics - it's nothing like what you thought.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3474 on: May 20, 2016, 04:01:25 PM »
It's weird when you're sure a singer sings something and when you see the official lyrics - it's nothing like what you thought.

Which song/lyric are you thinking of?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3475 on: May 20, 2016, 04:35:36 PM »
Switching modes for a second:  my wife and I listened to the whole album (in three segments) before seeing the concert.  We listened to my one disc edited 'abridged' version on the way to and on the way home. 

But I have not listened to anything from TA since that night, other than a very nice fan combo mix of 'Our New World'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agXk_VyRtZM

Which is a shame.  For eons, I see a band, I play a ton of what I've heard, or search for an album or two and replay the moments.
The music is tremendous on this release..  It is top five in their catalogue, but rather disjointed.  And TOO much perhaps?

Anyone else in the same boat?

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3476 on: May 20, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »

Which song/lyric are you thinking of?

In Lord Nafaryus - it sounded like " The (something) fearless ruler of the realm "

it's actually " Into the farthest reaches of the land "....

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3477 on: May 20, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »
The first time I listened to this album without lyrics I could've sworn by my first born that on The Walking Shadow JLB was singing 'WHAT HAAVE YOU DOOONE, MY SON IS DEAAAAD!" which I interpreted as Arabelle lamenting the death of Daryus or something like that.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3478 on: May 21, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »
I had a similar problem with the high section of Lord Nafaryus. It's very clearly sung without any rasp, so I was sure that part was sung by Arabelle. Even some of the words are accentuated rather femininely.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3479 on: May 21, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
The fact that Daryus is not mentioned by name, by either of his parents is reason for him to feel that Faythe is the "favourite child", fuelling his jealousy and desire to capture Gabriel and stop the revolution.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3480 on: May 22, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
The fact that Daryus is not mentioned by name, by either of his parents is reason for him to feel that Faythe is the "favourite child", fuelling his jealousy and desire to capture Gabriel and stop the revolution.

Agreed

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3481 on: May 22, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »
What is everybody's 1 disc super version of the album? I've been thinking I want to listen to it that way, the album is too damn long, and I listen to The Flower Kings. I'll listen digitally so it can go over 1:20:00 standard length of a CD.

I listened to TA earlier and I felt some tracks clicked, I think the bloat has kept me from getting into anything, the parts and sections keep moving along, and you kind of get lost for a while. But today I started noticing returning themes, and whatnot. I got really into the opening 4 tracks this time, and a couple other songs started really clicking. Mind, I have only listened to it once every week or so, on average; and didn't listen to it in April, so this may be the longest I've taken getting really into a new Dream Theater album since my fandom began. I feel like the best of the best material on one disc would make a sick album.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3482 on: May 22, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
What is everybody's 1 disc super version of the album? I've been thinking I want to listen to it that way, the album is too damn long, and I listen to The Flower Kings. I'll listen digitally so it can go over 1:20:00 standard length of a CD.

If you are into the narrative, this one has the major plot points covered. 1 hour, 24 minutes and 41 seconds so just over one CD long:

Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
A Savior in the Square
When Your Time has Come
Act of Faythe
Three Days
A Life Left Behind
Ravenskill
Chosen
A Tempting Offer
A New Beginning
Moment of Betrayal
The Path that Divides
The Walking Shadow
My Last Farewell
Losing Faythe
Hymn of a Thousand Voices
Our New World

If you are into listening to the best songs, though, you have to get A Better Life and Lord Nafaryus in there.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3483 on: May 22, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »

Honestly I would just take the entire first disc and then a couple selections from the second, pick your favorites. I'd personally go with Entr'acte, Moment of Betrayal, Begin Again, Our New World, and Astonishing. So much flab on that second disc.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3484 on: May 22, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »

Honestly I would just take the entire first disc and then a couple selections from the second, pick your favorites. I'd personally go with Entr'acte, Moment of Betrayal, Begin Again, Our New World, and Astonishing. So much flab on that second disc.

Agreed.  I love everything on the first disc now, and while there is nothing on the second I actively dislike, there are only a few songs I repeatedly go back to.  And I don't care a wit about the story, so losing songs that might be integral to it doesn't bother me.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3485 on: May 23, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
I find that the album gets a little slow towards the end of the first disc, minus the last 2 tracks. Disc 2 suffers from the same problems as disc 1, but takes less time thankfully.

I wish there was a track that gave you a break from the sound of the album, like a jam section or having track like Power Down as a 'real' song, using all the effects on the track. It would be completely different from the rest of the album, but I think it would make the entire listening experience better.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3486 on: May 23, 2016, 08:58:28 AM »
Not sure I would want a one-disc version.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3487 on: May 23, 2016, 10:01:48 AM »
This thread finally reached the 100 page mark.. This is epic in itself, time to open a beer!  :metal :metal
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:41:23 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3488 on: May 23, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »
Not sure I would want a one-disc version.
Same here. Although I have my lesser favorites, I certainly wouldn't vibe with a so much shorter version.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #3489 on: May 23, 2016, 01:10:21 PM »
There are already 11 single-disc DT albums. TA is great as it is. If it was a matter of choosing, I would prefer it to be longer than shorter.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3490 on: May 23, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »
Yup.  I still think a track early on in Act II about the fighting between the common folk and the GNE would have been cool and added just a bit more depth and dimension to the story, while also serving to make Act II just feel a bit more meaty and adding balance between the two acts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: May 23, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
Yup.  I still think a track early on in Act II about the fighting between the common folk and the GNE would have been cool and added just a bit more depth and dimension to the story, while also serving to make Act II just feel a bit more meaty and adding balance between the two acts.

I think the fact that act 2 is so much shorter than act 1 makes me feel like going longer than shorter would have been better.  Totally would add some more depth to act 2 with a heavier song towards the end if it were my choice.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3492 on: May 23, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »
100 pages later, still in love with this album  :metal

I agree that the album is a bit unbalanced, act II is too short and takes place in a too much short time, but all in all the very little downsides of the album are far outweighed by the many excellent things about it  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3493 on: May 24, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »
I must say... A couple dozen listens in, and I've grown to absolutely love The Astonishing. It's such a unique experience. I can't think of any other album off the top of my head that meets all of the following criteria:

- Is a musical/rock opera/whatever you want to call it
- Touches on classical, electronic, folk, metal, prog, and spiritual music
- Has production values so ridiculously high

I think it's a pretty amazing achievement. Hell, even Mrs. TOX enjoyed it as she loves musicals. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3494 on: May 24, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »
I was totally hoping a "My brother Gabriel is all the hope..." TGOM reprise at Astonishing, was a colossal letdown when it didn't happen.
I think the issue with the last part of the album is that it lacks this anthemic feel that TGOM sets, sure, it's awesome at Hymn of a Thousand Voices, but that's pretty much it.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3495 on: May 24, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
I was totally hoping a "My brother Gabriel is all the hope..." TGOM reprise at Astonishing, was a colossal letdown when it didn't happen.
I think the issue with the last part of the album is that it lacks this anthemic feel that TGOM sets, sure, it's awesome at Hymn of a Thousand Voices, but that's pretty much it.

If Hymn of a Thousand Voices is supposed to be an anthemic climax then LOL

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3496 on: May 24, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »

If Hymn of a Thousand Voices is supposed to be an anthemic climax then LOL
HTV is totally anthemic, just not in the same way as TGOM
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3497 on: May 25, 2016, 12:22:33 AM »

For me, the ending is pretty anthemic, specifically the following:

The ending of Hymn of a Thousand Voices
Our New World, which really feels like a 90s rock anthem
The ending of The Astonishing "Eternally in harmony..." is really an epic closer

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #3498 on: May 25, 2016, 01:09:54 AM »

Yes you are absolutley right, there is something missing in act ll.
But still, after i heard the astonishing the first time i thought it will never be one of my favourites.
Since then i've seen it two times live and listened to it more then then to any other album in the first months. i just love it, my employees are happy, they like it much more than zhe other dt stuff, let alone mastodon, lamb of gods, nevermore etc ;D
my girl friend likes it, was in both concerts too, and the other day when i drove my girlfriends eleven year old son to school he turned on the cd player and listened to " brother can you hear me" its his favourite :o
so well done dt, even if i am looking forward to a little heavier new dt album which james promised to me at the m&g in frankfurt :hefdaddy
The astonishing will always be one of my top ten albums :metal
Carpe diem baby

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: May 25, 2016, 01:27:40 AM »

For me, the ending is pretty anthemic, specifically the following:

The ending of Hymn of a Thousand Voices
Our New World, which really feels like a 90s rock anthem
The ending of The Astonishing "Eternally in harmony..." is really an epic closer

I think differently on this.  My biggest fault of the album is that I feel it ends with a dud.  Granted, Our New World has grown some real good appreciation after seeing it live.  I never disliked it, I just wasn't blown away and honestly feel this should have been the way the album goes out, with a rock anthem.  The Astonishing (song) really just doesn't do anything for me and Hymn is a good song, but the ending with everyone singing makes sense to the story but actually hearing that as the album is closing is kind of boring in a way to me.  I just like an awesome closing and DT albums have usually had this, this time I was not impressed from the music perspective (storytelling is just fine in these last songs).