Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519797 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3430 on: May 10, 2016, 04:59:16 PM »
The credits roll on the screens at the end is also a nice effect.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3431 on: May 10, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
Sure was. They got the "play" feeling down perfect.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3432 on: May 10, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
DT should play the opening 3 tracks, walk off stage, then come back and James would say "Thanks guys, it's been a great evening, drive home safe" and the band proceeds to play the rest of the album as their encore. They can eat their cake and not encore the title track.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3433 on: May 10, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
Sure was. They got the "play" feeling down perfect.

That was cool. I was savoring every moment cuz there's probably never gonna be a show like this from them. 10/10

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3434 on: May 11, 2016, 02:43:17 AM »
Talking about the end of the show, anyone else went completely nuts (the hype of the show and album finishing surely helped) when the Majesty symbol appeared on screen?  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3435 on: May 12, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Pretty sure my fave vocal passage on TA is in MLF beginning with "Don't leave me now . . . ". There are a ton of others.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3436 on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
Pretty sure my fave vocal passage on TA is in MLF beginning with "Don't leave me now . . . ". There are a ton of others.

Mine too, James tone and emotion on those few lines rivals his best to me.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #3437 on: May 13, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »
Mine is :

Gabriel, my son
I see the tide is turning
Can the Chosen One
Keep her fire burning?
I would trade my life
Just for one last moment

Use your gift, I beg
Make life begin again
Make life begin again!

Yum.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3438 on: May 13, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
Mine is :

Gabriel, my son
I see the tide is turning
Can the Chosen One
Keep her fire burning?
I would trade my life
Just for one last moment

Use your gift, I beg
Make life begin again
Make life begin again!

Yum.

I have many vocal favs on TA also, but the one that always sticks when I am pissed is..

Heed my words
Justice will be served

:xbones

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3439 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
Fav vocal lines would be the exchange between Arhys and Faythe in Ravenskill. Amazing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3440 on: May 13, 2016, 09:30:09 PM »
Apart from those mentioned, my favourite vocal line is in Lord Nafaryus. JLB's theatrical delivery on "Such a foolish young man/Doesn't seem to understand", then the evil streak comes in on "So let me be perfectly clear!"

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #3441 on: May 14, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
It is a slightly girly passage, but I really like "There's a reeeeeason now I see" and the variations.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3442 on: May 14, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
It's funny that the Astonishing pre-release thread took c. 2½ months (Nov 6-Jan 21) to reach 200 pages, and this post-release thread has taken 3½ months (Jan 29-present) and counting just to reach 100 pages. :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3443 on: May 14, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »
The little flair he puts on "now" is awesome!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3444 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Yep, that's a very subtle touch.

I have way too many favorite James moments on the albums. I would probably toss a coin to pick between "Open eyes, help me see which choice is right!" and the entire "How dare you step inside my home?" section.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3445 on: May 15, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »

This one's great.

I have to give the cop out answer and say there's too many to pick a best one. Although my favorite right now is near the end of Path That Divides, the "You dare defy your prince" part. Does a really good job with the character and his delivery's really intense and menacing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline V_R11

« Reply #3446 on: May 16, 2016, 05:23:25 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the tiny fact that every other person is mentioned by name at some point,but Daryus and Xander are always just called sons?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:39:50 AM by V_R11 »
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3447 on: May 16, 2016, 05:26:55 AM »
I did notice that. I'm guessing wherever their name was required, "son" made the lyrics flow better.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3448 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:34 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the tiny fact that every other person in mentioned by name at some point,but Daryus and Xander are always just called sons?
Xander is mentioned, in "The Path That Divides":

- By the Narrator, although not by his full name ('Confused and deathly afraid, X watched his hero be brave')
- By Daryus ('Well, you just threw your life away, along with Xander's dreams')

But yeah, Daryus is never mentioned, I think.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #3449 on: May 16, 2016, 09:39:13 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the tiny fact that every other person is mentioned by name at some point,but Daryus and Xander are always just called sons?
Xander is mentioned, in "The Path That Divides":

- By the Narrator, although not by his full name ('Confused and deathly afraid, X watched his hero be brave')
- By Daryus ('Well, you just threw your life away, along with Xander's dreams')

But yeah, Daryus is never mentioned, I think.

Damn it,I did a quick scan through the lyrics before posting this, and forgot about those parts in TPTD  :lol :facepalm:
But they never mention Daryus by name. Just a little thing that caught my eye
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3450 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »
Xander's name is uttered in "A Tempting Offer" as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3451 on: May 16, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »

"and best of all, Xandar would be free" I think is the line

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3452 on: May 16, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »

He'll never want again....it's such an easy choice...

Love that song and James' delivery in it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3453 on: May 16, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »
A Tempting Offer is one of my favorites off the album. The chord progression is so amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3454 on: May 16, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
A Tempting Offer is one of my favorites off the album. The chord progression is so amazing.
Agreed.  I hate to keep repeating myself, but the 4 song run from Ravenskill through The X Aspect (excluding the NOMAC interlude as a "song") is my favorite part of the album.  Those 4 are among the strongest on the album, and to have them back to back is just incredible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3455 on: May 16, 2016, 11:45:42 AM »
Today I was listening to the album going to and back from work. I take the subway which at a certain point, in the suburbs, comes up from the ground and travels at street level. The exact moment during Losing Faythe when the "Gabriel, my son" part comes in, the subway came up in the surface and I was greeted by the cool late evening sun. It was a glorious moment  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dirty30

« Reply #3456 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
Having a twenty-one year old daughter, I absolutely love how James sings: "To think I didn't notice the way you looked at her! Now come down from your throne and let me bring you back to earth." The menace in his voice captures a doting father perfectly.    :yarr

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3457 on: May 16, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »

I remember it now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3458 on: May 16, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »
Agreed.  I hate to keep repeating myself, but the 4 song run from Ravenskill through The X Aspect (excluding the NOMAC interlude as a "song") is my favorite part of the album.  Those 4 are among the strongest on the album, and to have them back to back is just incredible.

OK, so I LOVE The Astonishing. But I also feel that the criticisms of too many slow parts is totally fair. And this passage is an example. I feel like Chosen, which by itself is a fine song, breaks up that whole passage and makes it feel a little choppy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: May 16, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
Having a twenty-one year old daughter, I absolutely love how James sings: "To think I didn't notice the way you looked at her! Now come down from your throne and let me bring you back to earth." The menace in his voice captures a doting father perfectly.    :yarr

Do you have a pic?  :biggrin:

Offline emtee

« Reply #3460 on: May 16, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »

I would expand that to include A Life Left Behind thru A New Beginning. Easily my favorite part of the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3461 on: May 16, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »

OK, so I LOVE The Astonishing. But I also feel that the criticisms of too many slow parts is totally fair. And this passage is an example. I feel like Chosen, which by itself is a fine song, breaks up that whole passage and makes it feel a little choppy.
I disagree.  Chosen is one of my favorite ballads they have ever written.  And story-wise, I feel like it is a great interlude between Ravenskill, where we get a sense of foreboding because Faythe's and Gabriel's plan is coming together but we know Daryus' machinations are going to cause problems, and A Tempting Offer, where we see that come to fruition.  It is fitting that we get that interlude right at that spot, and Gabriel's role as the chosen one is fitting to be expanded upon at that time because his role actually is expanded by virtue of him accepting Faythe's invitation to persuade her father. 

In contrast, Act of Faythe interrupts the flow of When Your Time Has Come and Three Days.  But the problem is, it is necessary to introduce Faythe and develop her character, and it doesn't really fit anywhere else, so it kinda gets shoehorned in.  Chosen isn't that.  It actually fits perfectly where it is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3462 on: May 16, 2016, 02:45:58 PM »

I would expand that to include A Life Left Behind thru A New Beginning. Easily my favorite part of the album.
A Life Left Behind is good, but doesn't quite rise to the level of the four I cited.  And while I don't dislike A New Beginning, I am not as crazy about it as some.  The latter instrumental half is really good, but the first half doesn't grab me nearly as much.  Both are still really good songs, but if I'm picking out the strongest run of songs on the album, I'm not going to include those.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3463 on: May 16, 2016, 02:58:47 PM »
My favorite run would be the beginning, basically everything from the start until When your Time has Come, extend that even to Three Days.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3464 on: May 16, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »
Can I pick my favorite run of songs? From Act of Faythe up to and including Ravenskill. That includes The Hovering sojourn.  :metal