Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519687 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3360 on: May 05, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »
I actually found the interview funny even though I love the album. You people need to take a  :chill

I can handle people mocking things I like if it's funny. That was trying so hard to be funny that it became obnoxious IMO.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3361 on: May 05, 2016, 01:12:25 PM »
I think Chino said it way back in the middle of the thread, but 1:22-1:38 in Lord Nafaryus is not the best bit I've heard on a DT album. It's just a bit too high for JLB
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3362 on: May 05, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
I think Chino said it way back in the middle of the thread, but 1:22-1:38 in Lord Nafaryus is not the best bit I've heard on a DT album. It's just a bit too high for JLB

Unfortunately this happens a lot with LaBrie on the last two albums. He pushes himself for no reason and it A) doesn't sound good AT ALL B) makes it hard for him to perform live. No idea why he can't just stay in the midrange where he shines the most. Most of ADTOE was great in this aspect.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3363 on: May 05, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.  That part sounds great. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3364 on: May 05, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Mladen

« Reply #3365 on: May 05, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »
I love that part, although I wish it had a bit more rasp on it. Can't please everyone, though.

Offline Omadus

« Reply #3366 on: May 05, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »
Has anyone ordered the box set? Have you received anything yet?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3367 on: May 05, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »
Someone mentioned recently that they have not yet shipped, but are supposed to later this month. 

On a somewhat tangential note, the updated tour books look fantastic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Omadus

« Reply #3368 on: May 05, 2016, 05:29:38 PM »
Someone mentioned recently that they have not yet shipped, but are supposed to later this month. 

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same experience....I already got the vinyl edition, but when I check on my order status, it says that the CD and gift have been shipped as well but I never got them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3369 on: May 05, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »

Unfortunately this happens a lot with LaBrie on the last two albums. He pushes himself for no reason and it A) doesn't sound good AT ALL B) makes it hard for him to perform live. No idea why he can't just stay in the midrange where he shines the most. Most of ADTOE was great in this aspect.

Yeah, both in Boston and a YT video I saw of the tune, that section was a solid two notes below what it was supposed to be.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3370 on: May 06, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
Great new live video for Our New World! This was recorded in Milan, and features footage from the 18th and 19th March shows. Damn, I squandered my chance to appear on a DT video getting tickets for the March 17th show :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnLdx2FyNqg
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3371 on: May 06, 2016, 09:46:09 AM »
Ha ! I think I predicted it would be a live video.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #3372 on: May 06, 2016, 09:52:19 AM »
Cool video!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3373 on: May 06, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
Awesome  :metal :metal

Although, might have went a little too much Steve Harris on the editting, but really cool and I like it!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3374 on: May 06, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »
I wouldn't mind a "tour journal" type video a la Wither...

But seeing as it's part of The Astonishing - it will probably be similar to The Gift Of Music.

Ah ok. I got what I wanted at least. This is much better. Can't go wrong with a live video and backstage stuff.  :)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3375 on: May 06, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »
Nice. Good, simple video just like Wither and TLG.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3376 on: May 06, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
Makes me even more excited for the show now.  2 days!  :caffeine:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3377 on: May 06, 2016, 10:14:56 AM »
Great video. How awesome would it be getting a live DVD with that footage quality?

Made me think of Wither.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Mladen

« Reply #3378 on: May 06, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
This is exactly what I wanted from the video. Fantastic, thousand times better than The Gift of music video.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3379 on: May 06, 2016, 11:55:56 AM »
Great video. How awesome would it be getting a live DVD with that footage quality?

Made me think of Wither.

yea, the footage quality looks really good here.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3380 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
AWESOME! Love it.

Such a great happy upbeat song. Perfect song for a beautiful sunny spring day!!

:metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3381 on: May 06, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
It still reminds me of " You're The Voice " but that's ok as they're both amazing songs.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #3382 on: May 06, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
I preferred the video for TGOM; the concept for this one is fine, but the editing almost ruins it. Was it really necessary to have a cut every second or two?
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3383 on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
I don't think I like a single DT video that isn't actually a live performance capture. They are all boring and/or cringe-worthy to me. (like the TEI video :neverusethis:)

Was there any confirmation or talk of there being a DVD of this tour sometime later?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3384 on: May 06, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
I enjoyed Our New World/Wither Pt.2 video, I just thought there were at least 4 other songs on the album more worthy of a single/video treatment than Our New World, for example Three Days, The Path That Divides, A New Beginning or Heaven's Cove. But still I enjoyed the video for all the live footage.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline CB

« Reply #3385 on: May 07, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »
I love the video, the band is in it, great! Very much like Wither, but also the opposite. Wither felt very melancholic to me, this is just pure joy. Now I want a blue ray of the show in that quality.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #3386 on: May 07, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
I love the song and I love the video.  To me, that's about the only really good thing of cd 2.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3387 on: May 08, 2016, 10:05:39 AM »
Just finished another run of The Astonishing.

Whenever I have time to listen to music, I'm a binge listener... an album ends, the next one begins. Am I the only one that needs to let it all sink in for a moment after Astonishing ends, and revel in the beauty of what has just happened rather than going immediately on to some other music?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline earlilano

« Reply #3388 on: May 08, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »
I know there are varied opinions on The Astonishing as an album but i wanted to share something Mike Mangini told me last night at the meet and greet that really stuck to me. Pardon my ignorance if this has been shared before in this thread or in an interview. I told Mike and other band members that I did not listen to the album before the show and I wanted to feel that feeling I had when I first listened to dream theater. Mike told me that the album was made to be seen. That statement just stuck with me during the concert and I think I agree that this album was made to be seen and made the music and the concert so much better in my opinion.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3389 on: May 08, 2016, 12:43:11 PM »
I know there are varied opinions on The Astonishing as an album but i wanted to share something Mike Mangini told me last night at the meet and greet that really stuck to me. Pardon my ignorance if this has been shared before in this thread or in an interview. I told Mike and other band members that I did not listen to the album before the show and I wanted to feel that feeling I had when I first listened to dream theater. Mike told me that the album was made to be seen. That statement just stuck with me during the concert and I think I agree that this album was made to be seen and made the music and the concert so much better in my opinion.

To be completely honest, even though I love TA, the idea of making a MUSIC album to be SEEN is ridiculously stupid imo.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3390 on: May 08, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »
Just finished another run of The Astonishing.

Whenever I have time to listen to music, I'm a binge listener... an album ends, the next one begins. Am I the only one that needs to let it all sink in for a moment after Astonishing ends, and revel in the beauty of what has just happened rather than going immediately on to some other music?

Yeah, it feels a bit too grand to immedietely go "ok, next album".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3391 on: May 08, 2016, 02:04:09 PM »
Makes you wonder what DT will do next time.

Will be weird releasing another album of 7 eight minute songs and a 20 minute epic.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3392 on: May 08, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »
Makes you wonder what DT will do next time.

Will be weird releasing another album of 7 eight minute songs and a 20 minute epic.

Would like them to do their own "Tales from Topographic Oceans" with a bunch of epics with unique structures and a loose concept. That or a more compact album in the vein of Train of Thought with song lengths of 3-8 mins.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3393 on: May 08, 2016, 04:24:11 PM »
Would like for them to get Nolly Getgood and make an album that actually sounds good in all aspects. :neverusethis:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3394 on: May 08, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »
Would like for them to get Nolly Getgood and make an album that actually sounds good in all aspects. :neverusethis:

What other albums has he engineered? I only know the Periphery stuff and I think he engineered the next Devin Townsend album..other than that, what else is out there engineered by him?