Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519418 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3290 on: April 19, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »
What's Lord Nafaryus' first name ?

Neil.

Neil before Nafaryus
:clap:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3291 on: April 19, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »
Finally some recognition.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3292 on: April 19, 2016, 10:37:16 PM »
I finally got around to listening to this album and I'm really enjoying it so far :metal I am going to see them at Radio City on Saturday so I'm trying to familiarize myself with the new material as much as possible. Favorite tracks so far are A Better Life and Lord Nafaryus.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #3293 on: April 20, 2016, 03:15:07 AM »
I finally got around to listening to this album and I'm really enjoying it so far :metal I am going to see them at Radio City on Saturday so I'm trying to familiarize myself with the new material as much as possible. Favorite tracks so far are A Better Life and Lord Nafaryus.

LN is my fave also. Well, for that matter, almost the whole of Act I is my fave.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Grizz

« Reply #3294 on: April 22, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »
I find that this album is seriously hurt by its odd structure (lots of dying down in the middle of the first act which makes it drag and a hell of a lot of 80s-sounding guitar solos) and its excessive amount of slower songs. However, seeing it live gave me more appreciation for much of it. I like the album until The Answer, but then it picks up again until Gabriel opens his mouth in Savior in the Square. Unfortunately this part really kills the album because this part is a total cheesefest and I despise Act of Faythe. Thankfully I can wash it down with Three Days. Brother Can You Hear Me is decent, but the lyrics bother me because they tried way too hard and it's just like "We get it, he's gonna surrender and yield to his demands, he's gonna not stand together and fall as a result, he'll forsake him and let his brother dowwwwwnnnnn." The rest of Act 1 is kind of bland and draggy imo, except for A New Beginning, which I definitely didn't appreciate enough until I heard it live.
Act II has a great opening. Moment of Betrayal reminds me of Operation Mindcrime for some reason. I like the uniqueness of Hymn of a Thousand Voices. I find most of the rest of Act II kind of bland as well, but better than the bland parts of Act I.
A couple things that drive me nuts:
Act of Faythe. A bland song for the most part but then there's a build up and then... "MAH MUSIC PLAYAH!"??? Really? That's worse than The Best of Times right there.
LaBrie's laughter in 3 days. Makes me think of Scut Farkus.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #3295 on: April 22, 2016, 11:18:48 PM »
Signature

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #3296 on: April 22, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »
..and then... "MAH MUSIC PLAYAH!"??? Really? That's worse than The Best of Times right there.
LaBrie's laughter in 3 days. Makes me think of Scut Farkus.

:rollin
Signature

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #3297 on: April 22, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »
Love this album! 

At first it needed to grow on me a bit and I skipped around a lot.  The first ones I would revisit were:  Our New World, Dystopian Overture, Moment of Betrayal, The Gift of Music, A Life Left Behind, A New Beginning, 2285 ... Even Descent of the Nomacs and Machine Chatter.

Lately my favorites have been Chosen, X Aspect and Losing Faythe.  It's the powerful crescendos and melodies I love on these.

There are snipits that don't do it for me still...  The Answer, Lord Nafaryus,.. I love the guitar on Savior In The Square, but I don't like the "We have come to hear you sing". interruption.. 

My biggest criticism:  The Astonishing needs more "cow bell" being the final track with a title like that...  With a name like that I thought it would be DTs magnum opus of all time.  However, I do think it sounds good, I just expected more.  Same applies to Hymn of 1000. 

As a whole the album is awesome and I can just let it play and play and not get tired of it.  Looking forward to seeing it live this Sunday in Baltimore!   :metal
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:55:16 PM by comment »
Signature

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3298 on: April 24, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »
Just realized lately how much I like the drumming in ONW. Relatively simple, but spot on.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3299 on: April 24, 2016, 03:49:43 PM »
Just realized lately how much I like the drumming in ONW. Relatively simple, but spot on.
Agreeed. Mathias's drum cover really helped me understand the nuances of MM's playing on the track. It fits the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30f3B3c_cbM
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #3300 on: April 24, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »
It's intermission here in Baltimore.  The fist part was awesome!  They all sound great.  The bass drums are a little overpowering, but it's all good.  James took a break in the lyrics of... I don't remember which song and says.  "I'm choking on my spit!"  Lol

This times great album live with the visuals...

The Nomac display takes your pic and gives you a name..  😝  I'm "Jayme" from the Empire. 

Everyone that has a chance, I suggest catching this album live.  Soooo good!
Signature

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3301 on: April 24, 2016, 08:29:39 PM »
Agreeed. Mathias's drum cover really helped me understand the nuances of MM's playing on the track. It fits the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30f3B3c_cbM

That is Mangini's approach to drumming even before Dream Theater. He compose his drum parts based on how it complements what the other instruments are doing and what the feel of the song needs. The drum parts sound relatively simple because they fit and and do not call attention to themselves. However, when you try to play the parts, a lot of them are actually difficult to pull off, especially when MM highlights more than one instrument while trying to keep a regular beat at the same time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3302 on: April 24, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »

For sure. Not sure why, but I have noticed that TA has many more air drum-worthy moments than ADTOE or DT12 did (and I am a big fan of all three albums).

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3303 on: April 24, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
It's such a small part and I have no clue why I like it so much, but the 8th notes on the kicks at the very end of Moment of Betrayal is one of my favorite parts on the whole album. I've liked it since it appeared at the end of the trailer in January
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #3304 on: April 25, 2016, 11:01:53 PM »
Still think it could of been better if they had different singers do each character seriously how are we suppose to tell when faythe is singing lol thank god they have an site the gives a nice detail of each song

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3305 on: April 26, 2016, 03:30:50 AM »
Still think it could of been better if they had different singers do each character seriously how are we suppose to tell when faythe is singing lol thank god they have an site the gives a nice detail of each song

JLB uses a different vocal delivery when it is Faythe. It is noticeable in the Ravenskill conversation between Faythe and Arhys.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3306 on: April 26, 2016, 06:09:18 AM »

JLB uses a different vocal delivery when it is Faythe. It is noticeable in the Ravenskill conversation between Faythe and Arhys.

Plus Faythe has one of the most prominent musical themes attached to her. Remember that music was written first based on the script, and lyrical arrangement was done last.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #3307 on: April 26, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »

For real I never noticed I'll pay more attention next time I know he uses it for nafaryus

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #3308 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:06 AM »

Plus Faythe has one of the most prominent musical themes attached to her. Remember that music was written first based on the script, and lyrical arrangement was done last.

what I'm going to do is read the lyrics while listen to the album since they give a great detail of each song and what character is singing each part I read half of it yesterday and it's pretty awesome can't believe all the work they put into this album I think it would make a hell of a movie or musical if they don't get a Grammy for this album then I don't know what will earn them one
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:18:29 AM by romanticrocker »

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #3309 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »
At the Cincinnati show last night, James said they just filmed a video for Our New World, so that's something to look forward to.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3310 on: April 28, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »
Great choice of song to go with too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3311 on: April 28, 2016, 11:47:59 AM »
Yes ! Great news !

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3312 on: April 28, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »

Agreed! It's one of my favorites.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3313 on: April 28, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
Did they film live footage of the band performing the song for the music video? I thought I saw someone else say that...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3314 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »

Definitely one of my favourites from the album, and I think it's also one of the songs that works best out of the context of the whole. The lyrics aren't too specific, it musically feels self contained, and it's a strong song, instantly kicking off with a great riff, has a catchy chorus, and a killer guitar solo.
I'm interested to see what they choose to do for the video, whether it's just them in a room performing, or whether they'll include some of the animation again.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3315 on: April 28, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »

Definitely one of my favourites from the album, and I think it's also one of the songs that works best out of the context of the whole. The lyrics aren't too specific, it musically feels self contained, and it's a strong song, instantly kicking off with a great riff, has a catchy chorus, and a killer guitar solo.
I'm interested to see what they choose to do for the video, whether it's just them in a room performing, or whether they'll include some of the animation again.

It'll probably be the same as The Looking Glass with some minor animations included. It would be great if they could get a couple of actors to play Faythe and Gabriel in the video.

The song itself completely reminds me of Six Degrees (About to Crash & Reprise). It has a good upbeat feel to it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3316 on: April 28, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
If they market it correctly, the song really has a chance to go down as one of the great guitar songs, similar to Under a Glass Moon. It's got an awesome riff, the whole song revolves around the riff, and it's got a couple of melodic, roaring solos as well.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3317 on: April 28, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »
Did they film live footage of the band performing the song for the music video? I thought I saw someone else say that...

I think they're just going to use some fans' cell-phone videos.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3318 on: April 28, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3319 on: April 28, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »

:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3320 on: April 28, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »
 :lol

OH NO YOU DI'INT!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: April 28, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »
I wouldn't mind a "tour journal" type video a la Wither...

But seeing as it's part of The Astonishing - it will probably be similar to The Gift Of Music.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3322 on: April 28, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »

It'll probably be the same as The Looking Glass with some minor animations included. It would be great if they could get a couple of actors to play Faythe and Gabriel in the video.

The song itself completely reminds me of Six Degrees (About to Crash & Reprise). It has a good upbeat feel to it.

This was never a top song for me from the album, although I do enjoy it, but it definitely has a good upbeat feel plus seeing it live was awesome because it was at the point int he concert where people finally stood and got to rock out so that has added some more likes from me for this song.  I do think it's a good choice for a music video too, actually has some marketability to people outside of the prog metal genre.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3323 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:19 PM »

This was never a top song for me from the album, although I do enjoy it, but it definitely has a good upbeat feel plus seeing it live was awesome because it was at the point int he concert where people finally stood and got to rock out so that has added some more likes from me for this song.  I do think it's a good choice for a music video too, actually has some marketability to people outside of the prog metal genre.

Obviously. Blob likes it.   :lol

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #3324 on: April 28, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
I was at the Cinct show last night. Great show. I really hope they have another US tour. That album took a while to grow on me. I'd love another chance to see it.