Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519271 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3185 on: March 30, 2016, 02:42:04 AM »
BETTER TO SAVE THE MYSTERY THAN SURRENDER TO THE SECREEEEEET

:lol

But seriously, great music doesn't diminish once the mystery is gone. It remains enjoyable to listen to because it's good. Most of DT's older music still sounds as fresh and exciting to me as the first time I heard it over a decade ago, and I listened to basically nothing else at the time. :tup

Good to know. I guess what worried me was some (I think...) scientific studies that basically said that a really new and fresh musical experience will hit you hard the first time, then have diminishing returns like a drug. I guess that's not always applicable.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3186 on: March 30, 2016, 04:28:31 AM »
I never worry about overplaying something.  If I love something enough that it makes me want to keep listening over and over, I listen over and over.  Most of my favorite albums are ones I listened to to death, and they are still my favorites despite bludgeoning myself with them over and over and over... :lol
This.

But seriously, great music doesn't diminish once the mystery is gone. It remains enjoyable to listen to because it's good. Most of DT's older music still sounds as fresh and exciting to me as the first time I heard it over a decade ago, and I listened to basically nothing else at the time. :tup
And this.

I don't get the whole overplaying thing. Sometimes I get pretty obsessive about an album for a while so I listen absolutely loads. That obsession eventually wears off, and of course I only sometimes to listen to the album after that, but that doesn't mean I like it any less. Seems to me that forcing myself to listen to it less early on would eventually just end up with the same result in terms of total listens, and it terms of how much I like it, but I'd be making myself miserable forcing myself to not listen to it. So no thanks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3187 on: March 30, 2016, 06:29:40 AM »
I used to overplay music like crazy. It took me years before I could feel some songs again. It's such a weird thing, I don't know how to explain it. It never happened with Dream Theater, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3188 on: March 30, 2016, 06:43:11 AM »
Even if I overplay an album, it doesn't all of the sudden become bad.  It just makes it to a point where I don't want to listen anymore.  Time heals all wounds and eventually I will want to listen again if it truly was that good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3189 on: March 30, 2016, 07:48:15 AM »
Yeah I've had it where I've gone back to albums I didn't like after a long time

and it sounds even worse. :p

The sign of a bad album clearly.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: March 30, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »
I used to overplay music like crazy. It took me years before I could feel some songs again. It's such a weird thing, I don't know how to explain it. It never happened with Dream Theater, though.

I find that music that takes a few listens to really sink in and become favorites can't be overplayed.
Music that hits you immediately on the other hand often tends to be possible to overplay and get really tired of.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3191 on: March 30, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »

I find that music that takes a few listens to really sink in and become favorites can't be overplayed.
Music that hits you immediately on the other hand often tends to be possible to overplay and get really tired of.

For me I find there's absolutely zero correlation between how long it takes to like a song and its longevity.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3192 on: March 30, 2016, 08:58:57 AM »
I never worry about overplaying something.  If I love something enough that it makes me want to keep listening over and over, I listen over and over.  Most of my favorite albums are ones I listened to to death, and they are still my favorites despite bludgeoning myself with them over and over and over... :lol
This.

And this.

I don't get the whole overplaying thing. Sometimes I get pretty obsessive about an album for a while so I listen absolutely loads. That obsession eventually wears off, and of course I only sometimes to listen to the album after that, but that doesn't mean I like it any less. Seems to me that forcing myself to listen to it less early on would eventually just end up with the same result in terms of total listens, and it terms of how much I like it, but I'd be making myself miserable forcing myself to not listen to it. So no thanks.
^All of that.  "Overplaying" is generally not an issue.  I mean, as new music comes out, the amount of spins I give a particular disk diminishes just because time is finite and I am spending some of that time on newer stuff.  But that doesn't mean I like the album less.  For example, Six Degrees is still my all time favorite DT album.  When I listen to it, I enjoy it immensely.  During that album cycle, I was obsessed with the album and listened to it nonstop.  The fact that I listen to it less nowadays is not a factor of having overplayed it and its stature being diminished in my eyes.  It is just a factor of DT having released seven more studio albums and several live releases since then, as well as all the other music that has been released since 2002. 

Where I do find that "overplaying" is a bit of an issue for me is with particular songs if I play them in isolation.  For instance, I typically find that if I overplay a lead single from an album before the album has come out, I tend to subconsciously gloss over that song when playing the entire album rather than enjoying the song more fully in context of the album.  I kinda did that with ATBOA and The Enemy Inside where I had played them a LOT before the albums came out, and then would gloss over them a bit initially once the albums finally came out.  But as with any good song, I eventually really came to appreciate both of those on their own merits.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3193 on: March 30, 2016, 09:11:21 AM »
Agreed with everything you just said bosky, particularly good point about playing individual songs out of context. That's why I similarly try to avoid repeatedly listening to singles in advance of an album release.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3194 on: March 30, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »

Where I do find that "overplaying" is a bit of an issue for me is with particular songs if I play them in isolation.  For instance, I typically find that if I overplay a lead single from an album before the album has come out, I tend to subconsciously gloss over that song when playing the entire album rather than enjoying the song more fully in context of the album.  I kinda did that with ATBOA and The Enemy Inside where I had played them a LOT before the albums came out, and then would gloss over them a bit initially once the albums finally came out.  But as with any good song, I eventually really came to appreciate both of those on their own merits.

^^^ This, exactly.  It's happened so often for me in the past that I consciously tried to minimize the number of times I listened to TGOM and MOB before the whole thing came out.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #3195 on: March 30, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
Made myself take a month or so without listening to the album so that I can listen with "fresh ears".  I was a bit apprehensive as the hype isn't there any more, but i just listened to the whole thing and holy shit, it's just perfect.

It makes me sad that they'll likely never make anything like this again.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: March 30, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Made myself take a month or so without listening to the album so that I can listen with "fresh ears".  I was a bit apprehensive as the hype isn't there any more, but i just listened to the whole thing and holy shit, it's just perfect.

It makes me sad that they'll likely never make anything like this again.

Just be glad that 30 years into their career and on their 13th album they create such a masterpiece...

Not many bands do

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3197 on: March 30, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
This album is just such a great piece of music.  There are so many strong melodies.  I think the wide variety of sounds and styles make it much stronger than many of their recent releases.  I really agree that the music just pulls you along and it is hard to stop listening.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3198 on: March 30, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
Do you think The Astonishing (or "The Gift Of Music") might get nominated for the Grammys next year? Do you think it could win?

From what has been released so far since last Fall (which is when releases start counting), I'm assuming Adele will win 'Album Of The Year' (and 'Song Of The Year' too). From what I've read about it, 25's release was a huge seismic shift in the industry, so it's pretty obvious to me she might be the big winner.

As far as 'rock', I think Coldplay might get something too. The 'metal' field could still be where DT gets nominated, although - having to compete with recent albums by more popular acts (such as Maiden and Megadeth) - I think they have it hard.

Maybe, their 1st grammy could happen through David Campbell - who knows, maybe he could get nominated for 'Best Arrangement' for one of the album's songs.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #3199 on: March 30, 2016, 11:15:54 PM »
Do you think The Astonishing (or "The Gift Of Music") might get nominated for the Grammys next year? Do you think it could win?
If it depends on its quality, of course! If it depends on its popularity, probably not.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3200 on: March 31, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »
Just listened to it again (in one sitting). Still awesome. I noticed how much the use of the orchestra and choir added an extra depth to the album while also highlighting everything else. It never seems tasteless or overbearing, it's really well arranged.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3201 on: March 31, 2016, 10:25:17 AM »
If it depends on its quality, of course! If it depends on its popularity, probably not.

Well, there's no hope then!  :lol  But yeah it deserves to at least be nominated.

I don't like overplaying something for fear I'll get tired of it.  My wife overplays music and I am so bored with her choices.  I have a lot of music to keep a good variety going.  I'm listening to Chris Isaak today for the first time in at least a year. 

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3202 on: March 31, 2016, 11:22:54 AM »
I'm starting to hear The Astonishing every now and then, but it's still an absolutely enjoyable experience. Heard it today, last time was past saturday I believe, and I still loved the hell out of it  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3203 on: March 31, 2016, 11:24:46 AM »
Seeing dparrott's profile picture made me remember being disappointed that the clock tower that is seen in the trailer and the live video for Machine Chatter never came into the story at all and plays no significance. It's featured a decent amount in the trailers and it's never mentioned.

I just remember thinking it was gonna play a huge role.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3204 on: March 31, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
Don't think so, son.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3205 on: March 31, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »
Well, it gets my vote for album of the year.  I don't need to hear anything else.   :P  Adele schmedele!  Let's see her do an album like this!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3206 on: March 31, 2016, 05:04:21 PM »
Well, it gets my vote for album of the year.  I don't need to hear anything else.   :P  Adele schmedele!  Let's see her do an album like this!

Adele had an album in 2015 though, not 2016.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to call it album of the year when we're only a quarter of the way through the year. Albums by Haken, Pain of Salvation and Fates Warning are coming up, so the competition will be tough (plus the new Vektor, Gorguts and Watchtower, but they may not be as well appreciated around here as the other three bands).

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3207 on: March 31, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »
This year is gonna be packed with releases from my favourite bands. To be completely honest, as much as I love The Astonishing, I don't see it ending up in the top 3 albums of 2016.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #3208 on: March 31, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »
I currently think The Astonishing is the best album of the millennium, let's see how it'll be after more months.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3209 on: April 01, 2016, 03:19:50 AM »
Looks like it's not only JLB who got the flu from the tour. From Mike Mangini:

March 28: "Arrived home from the last two shows with the most severe flu/slight walking pneumonia. Nasty bug and Total fatigue. And a special thanks to the fans for an unexpectedly and overwhelming vibe joining in with us for the presentation of the show. That was a great boost for me! So glad to be with family and my own bed !"

March 30: "I love the Bose Mini I got as a gift from Guitar Center from my doing the Drum Off this year. I had the new Disturbed album crunching it up while cleaning the downstairs floors and bathrooms.Heavy Metal motivates me. Kids destroy houses. My flu has been reduced to a minor cough now, so the 7th Gen cleaning spray isn't so bad. I think I'll also finish unpacking from the tour today and organize it all having been on the couch mostly. Thanks for all the well wishes !!"

Offline JRuless

« Reply #3210 on: April 01, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »
I currently think The Astonishing is the best album of the millennium, let's see how it'll be after more months.

+1 I can't stop listening to it and it's giving me the same feeling as SDOIT did (the first DT album I listened to).  :hefdaddy

So, TA is just totally my cup of tea.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3211 on: April 01, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Seeing dparrott's profile picture made me remember being disappointed that the clock tower that is seen in the trailer and the live video for Machine Chatter never came into the story at all and plays no significance. It's featured a decent amount in the trailers and it's never mentioned.

Not even in the video projetions during shows? I seem to remember (either in a trailer or in one live YouTube clip) that Xander was inside the clock tower (just like in his picture on the website), so I assumed the clock tower was maybe Arhys' home?

(Having said that, I'm not sure if the tower is in Ravenskill or New Maineland)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3212 on: April 01, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »
I haven't seen the live show yet apart from videos, so I'm not sure. But I've only seen it for the Machine Chatter video, so I'm not sure. I remember initially I thought Xander was held hostage there by Nefaryus and Daryus, and they had to get him back, but now that's obviously not the case
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3214 on: April 01, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »

Not even in the video projetions during shows? I seem to remember (either in a trailer or in one live YouTube clip) that Xander was inside the clock tower (just like in his picture on the website), so I assumed the clock tower was maybe Arhys' home?

(Having said that, I'm not sure if the tower is in Ravenskill or New Maineland)

Can't remember any clock tower from the show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3216 on: April 02, 2016, 05:18:48 AM »
Anyone else a little confused over the distances involved in the GNE? Nafaryus talks about "the far off reaches of the land" and so forth but then it seems Faythe can zip back and forth between the palace and Ravenskill like it's nothing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3217 on: April 02, 2016, 07:21:38 AM »
Anyone else a little confused over the distances involved in the GNE? Nafaryus talks about "the far off reaches of the land" and so forth but then it seems Faythe can zip back and forth between the palace and Ravenskill like it's nothing.

Well, she does take a while to get there. From ALLB to Ravenskill, it turns from night to day.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3218 on: April 02, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »

Well, she does take a while to get there. From ALLB to Ravenskill, it turns from night to day.
Yes, but on the third day she is:

-In her palace during "A New Beginning"
-In Gabriel's hideout (which is probably in Ravenskill) during "The Road To Revolution"*
-In her palace again during "Begin Again"
-In Heaven's Cove during "The Walking Shadow" et al.

So, yeah, she travels a lot al by herself in just one day, I think.

(* that's if Faythe and Gabriel actually meet, and are not just talking on the phone :P)

By the way, www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing has been updated - the 2 videos now are the 2nd trailer (released 2 weeks ago) and the "The Gift Of Music" clip. Links to various other websites - such as the videogame - have been added at the bottom of the page as well.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3219 on: April 02, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »

Yes, but on the third day she is:

-In her palace during "A New Beginning"
-In Gabriel's hideout (which is probably in Ravenskill) during "The Road To Revolution"*
-In her palace again during "Begin Again"
-In Heaven's Cove during "The Walking Shadow" et al.

So, yeah, she travels a lot al by herself in just one day, I think.

(* that's if Faythe and Gabriel actually meet, and are not just talking on the phone :P)

It's possible that she is travelling using that hovering thing you see at the end of the LN live video.