Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519763 times)

SebastianPratesi

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3150 on: March 24, 2016, 11:44:09 PM »
I just stumbled upon this recent interview with JP while in Germany (recorded last week, but posted 3 days ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZRUROF1EE

Towards the end, at 18:00, John confirms there will be further shows in South America (yeay!), Australia and Asia. I know it was expected the band would tour those regions later on; still, the way John says so makes it seem like it's officially official.

Most of the interview is about John's guitars and rig. There are some questions about the new album at the beginning, but nothing new.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3151 on: March 27, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
Even though I still find hearing the chorus only once in The Road to Revolution to be a major tease, I find that when combining it with 2285 Entr'acte and Moment of Betrayal as a 3-song run, it works really well.  That moment in 2285 Entr'acte when the The Road to Revolution melody is playing by the strings is freaking stellar (around 1:15, I think).

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3152 on: March 27, 2016, 10:20:33 AM »
Even though I still find hearing the chorus only once in The Road to Revolution to be a major tease, I find that when combining it with 2285 Entr'acte and Moment of Betrayal as a 3-song run, it works really well.  That moment in 2285 Entr'acte when the The Road to Revolution melody is playing by the strings is freaking stellar (around 1:15, I think).

Agreed about the tease. I think the best RtR chorus is in the middle of BCYHM

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3153 on: March 28, 2016, 04:35:50 PM »
I was confined in the hospital for a week and TA was in my regular rotation to keep me from being bored. Yesterday I played it out loud because I was alone in the room, and I found myself singing along to the whole musical.  :rollin Looks like I already memorized this album by heart.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3154 on: March 28, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
I was confined in the hospital for a week and TA was in my regular rotation to keep me from being bored. Yesterday I played it out loud because I was alone in the room, and I found myself singing along to the whole musical.  :rollin Looks like I already memorized this album by heart.

Yikes! Hope you are feeling better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3155 on: March 28, 2016, 04:55:07 PM »

Yikes! Hope you are feeling better.

I am home now, thanks. :) I had a nasty case of ischiorectal abscess.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3156 on: March 28, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »

Man that sucks, good to know that you are well now.  :tup Those things can spread real fast.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3157 on: March 28, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »

Man that sucks, good to know that you are well now.  :tup Those things can spread real fast.

Yikes, had something very similar myself in the fall.  Needed surgery, but luckily it was outpatient for me, but man that is such an area that really sucks to get surgery

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3158 on: March 28, 2016, 05:38:09 PM »

Yikes, had something very similar myself in the fall.  Needed surgery, but luckily it was outpatient for me, but man that is such an area that really sucks to get surgery

I also thought it would be outpatient for me, then they discovered that is it one finger deep. OUCH. Which is why it took me a week to recover.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3159 on: March 28, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
I'm really into Act of Faythe now. Really good ballad, with nice vocals in the vein of Anna Lee with Lifting Shadows.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #3160 on: March 28, 2016, 07:02:19 PM »
I'm really into Act of Faythe now. Really good ballad, with nice vocals in the vein of Anna Lee with Lifting Shadows.

Act of Faythe is growing a bit. It's not at the same level of more intense songs, but I think it's a par-for-the-course ballad.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3161 on: March 29, 2016, 02:54:33 AM »
¨

Act of Faythe is awesome. It's been on of my favourites on Act I since my first listen and is easily the best ballad on the album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3162 on: March 29, 2016, 06:15:19 AM »
Yea, I really enjoy Act of Faythe.  It wasn't a song that hit me at first, but after many listens I have grown to really like it.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3163 on: March 29, 2016, 06:44:06 AM »
Yea, I really enjoy Act of Faythe.  It wasn't a song that hit me at first, but after many listens I have grown to really like it.
This. I guess I couldn't get over 'my music player' part but rest of the chorus is beautiful.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Mladen

« Reply #3164 on: March 29, 2016, 06:45:02 AM »
That song is beautiful and touching, it contains my favorite piano theme on the album and LaBrie's vocals are top notch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: March 29, 2016, 06:48:55 AM »
This. I guess I couldn't get over 'my music player' part but rest of the chorus is beautiful.

My first listen I kind of giggled at that line, but now it's actually one of my favorite parts.  Sure the lyrics are cheesy, but it's really awesome.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #3166 on: March 29, 2016, 08:30:13 AM »
My first listen I kind of giggled at that line, but now it's actually one of my favorite parts.  Sure the lyrics are cheesy, but it's really awesome.
That part brought tears to my eyes on first listen. So, to each one's own, I guess.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3167 on: March 29, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »
Listening to my abridged CD today, wow...the hi-hat and cymbals...yea they're pretty flat.  Didn't notice that until I read it here.  Are the HD tracks any better?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3168 on: March 29, 2016, 08:51:12 AM »
That part brought tears to my eyes on first listen. So, to each one's own, I guess.

As somebody who is plugged in to my music player almost half of the day, that line got me on first listen, as well.

Listening to my abridged CD today, wow...the hi-hat and cymbals...yea they're pretty flat.  Didn't notice that until I read it here.  Are the HD tracks any better?

What do you mean flat? They are a bit low in the mix.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3169 on: March 29, 2016, 09:14:38 AM »

What do you mean flat? They are a bit low in the mix.

They are not just low to me, there's not much high frequency to them.  The cymbals on OTBOA for example sound much brighter.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Hypnotoad

« Reply #3170 on: March 29, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
I have the HD Tracks version on my Fiio X3. I tweaked the high end a little on the EQ and I have to say it sounds stunning. The cymbals/hi-hat are really apparent now and I can hear all the subtleties in MM's playing

Offline genome

« Reply #3171 on: March 29, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
I haven't been on in a few weeks, so this may have been spoken about... but can we give some love to the solo in A Better Life, one of the best on the album and seems a little underrated.

Wonderful solo.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3172 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:28 AM »
I haven't been on in a few weeks, so this may have been spoken about... but can we give some love to the solo in A Better Life, one of the best on the album and seems a little underrated.

Wonderful solo.

I've seen it mentioned in a couple of threads. You're right - it's top notch. I love the legato runs. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3173 on: March 29, 2016, 10:52:18 AM »

Wonderful solo.
Yup.  Very good.  There is a thread for that song in particular.  The whole song is top notch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #3174 on: March 29, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »
I hate to sound like a crazed fanboy but the biggest problem I have with The Astonishing is if I just put it on to listen to one track, I am unable to turn it off and am "stuck" listening to the rest.  I'm actually trying to take a break until I see them in a month but guess what's on right now ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3175 on: March 29, 2016, 12:51:55 PM »
...but guess what's on right now ?

Sesame's Street, "C is for Cookie, and other Hits from the Hood"?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3176 on: March 29, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »
For me it's different. I adore the album, but I've listened to it only three times in full (even though I remember many moments off of it by heart). It's not because I can't find the time, it's just that I'm afraid of overplaying it. I have this fear with many other albums and I don't think I've listened to any one Dream Theater album in full for more than 10 times. Is this an unfounded fear?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: March 29, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
I do this too. I try not to over listen to new albums.

Then when you come back to it down the road - it still sounds fresh.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: March 29, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
For me it's different. I adore the album, but I've listened to it only three times in full (even though I remember many moments off of it by heart). It's not because I can't find the time, it's just that I'm afraid of overplaying it. I have this fear with many other albums and I don't think I've listened to any one Dream Theater album in full for more than 10 times. Is this an unfounded fear?

Have you ever gotten to the point where you over played an album before?  The fear is legit, but I think for me it requires many more than 10 listens. 

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #3179 on: March 29, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
I'm absolutely in fear of overplaying it.  Which is why I'm actively trying to listen to other stuff.  But sometimes I really want to listen to a particular track and I am unable to turn it off.  Thankfully, I haven't become remotely sick of it yet.  I wish I knew how often I'd listened to it.  It has to be going on 100 or so I would think.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3180 on: March 29, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
I never worry about overplaying something.  If I love something enough that it makes me want to keep listening over and over, I listen over and over.  Most of my favorite albums are ones I listened to to death, and they are still my favorites despite bludgeoning myself with them over and over and over... :lol

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #3181 on: March 29, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »
What I've been doing is making playlists where I mix a few songs from The Astonishing with other DT songs from other albums. That way it doesn't get as monotonous or redundant as just listening to it by itself from beginning to end over and over again...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3182 on: March 29, 2016, 05:26:34 PM »
I never worry about overplaying something.  If I love something enough that it makes me want to keep listening over and over, I listen over and over.  Most of my favorite albums are ones I listened to to death, and they are still my favorites despite bludgeoning myself with them over and over and over... :lol

But what about the rule of diminishing returns when the mystery of the music is gone (i.e. when you remember everthing about it including the tiny intricacies)? Does that not apply?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3183 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »

But what about the rule of diminishing returns when the mystery of the music is gone (i.e. when you remember everthing about it including the tiny intricacies)? Does that not apply?

BETTER TO SAVE THE MYSTERY THAN SURRENDER TO THE SECREEEEEET

But seriously, great music doesn't diminish once the mystery is gone. It remains enjoyable to listen to because it's good. Most of DT's older music still sounds as fresh and exciting to me as the first time I heard it over a decade ago, and I listened to basically nothing else at the time. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael