Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519873 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2975 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
People talk about the "deciiiiiiiide" section, but I've yet to see a comment about the vocal delivery of "And let me bring you back to earth". That one is ... odd, to say the least.

There are a few "odd" vocal deliveries by JLB on this album, but maybe I've just gotten used to them that I enjoy them now, including this one.  I remember on my first listen having a few dumbfounded looks on my face at different spots, this was one of them.  And at the end of Chosen, "Home" just feels so odd, but like the others, I enjoy it now.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2976 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
I guess my car speakers just suck, because the album sounds pretty clear on my headphones.

With most music (not all), there's a world of difference between listening to music on headphones and a generic car stereo.

How dare you assume my car stereo is generic even though it totally is.

Something I loved about my old car's speakers is that when one blew out, it made Iced Earth's Dante's Inferno sound even more awesome with the enhanced bass, which was just a broken speaker rattling, but it still sounded cool.

Not only did I dare, but I triple dog dared.  I'm surprised my car speakers are still going ten years later. I guess Hyundai Motors makes durable speakers.  :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2977 on: March 15, 2016, 01:05:09 PM »
I'm not hearing a mistake.  I am hearing a vocal part that is very soft, almost a whisper, and James drawing out the consonant sound as the drums and other instruments sound.

This. I don't think it's a mistake. I just never noticed it and it sounds pretty awful now that I know it's there.

Unreal, I've listened to this track 20 times and never noticed this.  Now that I know about it its going to bug me, because it is - without a doubt - a mistake.  Yuck!

Not necessarily.  Again, it could just be the way James phrased it.  It is hard to hear exactly what is going on during that vocal transition because of the drum hit and other instruments, so although it sounds like punching in from another take, it may not be that at all.

People talk about the "deciiiiiiiide" section, but I've yet to see a comment about the vocal delivery of "And let me bring you back to earth". That one is ... odd, to say the least.

Yeah, it definitely is.  I was just thinking that again this morning.  :lol
Will you guys stop over analyzing! Its vintage James, in all his glory! :tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2978 on: March 15, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »
I guess my car speakers just suck, because the album sounds pretty clear on my headphones.

With most music (not all), there's a world of difference between listening to music on headphones and a generic car stereo.

Something I loved about my old car's speakers is that when one blew out, it made Iced Earth's Dante's Inferno sound even more awesome with the enhanced bass, which was just a broken speaker rattling, but it still sounded cool.

Not only did I dare, but I triple dog dared.  I'm surprised my car speakers are still going ten years later. I guess Hyundai Motors makes durable speakers.  :lol

Funny, my Hyundai Elantra is going on 11 years old. I'm a little behind on maintenance, but I've been told that Hyundais can last quite a long time if taken care of.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2979 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »

Funny, my Hyundai Elantra is going on 11 years old. I'm a little behind on maintenance, but I've been told that Hyundais can last quite a long time if taken care of.

It's true. They really are built amazingly well. With the exception of tires and breaks being replaced when needed, I haven't had to bring it in for any extensive work.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2980 on: March 15, 2016, 01:20:45 PM »
I'm not hearing a mistake.  I am hearing a vocal part that is very soft, almost a whisper, and James drawing out the consonant sound as the drums and other instruments sound.

This. I don't think it's a mistake. I just never noticed it and it sounds pretty awful now that I know it's there.

Unreal, I've listened to this track 20 times and never noticed this.  Now that I know about it its going to bug me, because it is - without a doubt - a mistake.  Yuck!

Not necessarily.  Again, it could just be the way James phrased it.  It is hard to hear exactly what is going on during that vocal transition because of the drum hit and other instruments, so although it sounds like punching in from another take, it may not be that at all.

Making an observation that an odd delivery is odd is not overanalyzing. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2981 on: March 15, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
What's odd about that line? The way he kinda takes a pause before he says earth?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2982 on: March 15, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
You really don't hear the oddness? For lack of a better description, it kinda sounds as if he's about to throw up :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2983 on: March 15, 2016, 01:36:53 PM »

Making an observation that an odd delivery is odd is not overanalyzing.
My point and I'm joking is James at his best gives some odd deliveries.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2984 on: March 15, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
You really don't hear the oddness? For lack of a better description, it kinda sounds as if he's about to throw up :lol

By that point, Nafaryus is pretty pissed that not only does he think Gabriel is trying to overthrow him, but he's also making googly eyes with his daughter. The delivery sounds of that of an angry man. I'm sure if Portnoy were still in the band, he would have pushed to growl that section.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2985 on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

By that point, Nafaryus is pretty pissed that not only does he think Gabriel is trying to overthrow him, but he's also making googly eyes with his daughter. The delivery sounds of that of an angry man. I'm sure if Portnoy were still in the band, he would have pushed a medieval growl that section.

FTFY :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2986 on: March 15, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »

By that point, Nafaryus is pretty pissed that not only does he think Gabriel is trying to overthrow him, but he's also making googly eyes with his daughter. The delivery sounds of that of an angry man. I'm sure if Portnoy were still in the band, he would have pushed a medieval growl that section.

FTFY :lol

Looks like you broke it to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2987 on: March 15, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »
 :lol

Well well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2988 on: March 15, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »

By that point, Nafaryus is pretty pissed that not only does he think Gabriel is trying to overthrow him, but he's also making googly eyes with his daughter. The delivery sounds of that of an angry man. I'm sure if Portnoy were still in the band, he would have pushed to growl that section.
If portnoy were still in the band this album probably would had never been recorded, unless he had control and the credit.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2989 on: March 15, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »

If portnoy were still in the band this album probably would had never been recorded, unless he had control and the credit.
I highly doubt that.  If John wanted it to happen the way it did (with only him and Jordan writing), I can pretty much guarantee it would have gone down that way regardless of who was behind the kit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2990 on: March 15, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
I just can't imagine MP relinquishing control like that. And I'm not saying that positively or negatively, he just always says he wants control.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2991 on: March 15, 2016, 04:33:45 PM »
Pretty sure that MP's control is a bit exaggerated. Sure he wrote a fair amount of lyrics and helped in arranging, but JR has said that it was himself and JP doing most of the writing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2992 on: March 15, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
And John is a MUCH stronger personality than I think most people realize.  He has a laid back, easy going demeanor.  But make no mistake about the fact that he has ALWAYS had his say in this band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2993 on: March 15, 2016, 05:58:43 PM »
And John is a MUCH stronger personality than I think most people realize.  He has a laid back, easy going demeanor.  But make no mistake about the fact that he has ALWAYS had his say in this band.

So you're saying he actually does like medleys? :P

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2994 on: March 15, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
Reading through the recent interviews, it is interesting to note that the writing for TA was story - music - lyrics. The lyrics still came in last. JP and JR also wrote the music like a musical score, instead of a bunch of songs. Which I think is why there is a lack of individual playfulness in the songs, but there is more coherence across songs.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2995 on: March 15, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHFswk8K3o

Here's the 2nd Trailer. Is this what the second video was supposed to be?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2996 on: March 15, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »

Interesting.  I think this one is better than the first.  Also, the world tour will continue into 2017!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2997 on: March 15, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »

Interesting.  I think this one is better than the first.  Also, the world tour will continue into 2017!

Just wondering if the world tour will go to Mexico and South America and then back around thru Europe and then back to the US and if it does, would they do the same tour with just TA or a varied set list.  I was hoping for a varied set list if they came to Atlanta later in the year or early 2017.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: March 16, 2016, 06:53:47 AM »
I always figured that playing all of TA would be just the first leg (of Europe and N.A.) but maybe the success of the tour so far will lead them to continue? (I'm also assuming the tour has been successful so far, I have not been following the shows).  Seeing 2017 is hopeful though so we know they will at least continue touring into next year.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2999 on: March 16, 2016, 08:12:19 AM »

No, the second video (of the two on the website) was originally supposed to be the performance video of The Gift of Music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3000 on: March 16, 2016, 08:43:36 AM »

Just wondering ichangeworld tour will go to Mexico and South America and then back around thru Europe and then back to the US and if it does, would they do the same tour with just TA or a varied set list.  I was hoping for a varied set list if they came to Atlanta later in the year or early 2017.

JP said in a recent interview for a brazilian magazine, Roadiecrew, that the show's format won't change wherever they play in TA tour.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3001 on: March 16, 2016, 09:37:48 AM »
JP said in a recent interview for a brazilian magazine, Roadiecrew, that the show's format won't change wherever they play in TA tour.
Did he happen to mention if there will be a South American tour? (I'm from Argentina, so I'm interested).

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3002 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
Did he happen to mention if there will be a South American tour? (I'm from Argentina, so I'm interested).

Hi, Sebastian!
The interviewer only asked him about a brazilian tour and he answered that there will be one, without mention any dates. So I imagine that there will be another South American Tour, like it's happening the last 10 years. I suppose (JP didn't say that too) maybe that it will be in a fewer cities as the usual, like they're doing in Europe now.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3003 on: March 16, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »
Faythe wore proper ear protection.  Carol did not wear her safety goggles.  Don't be like Carol.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: March 16, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
Faythe wore proper ear protection.  Carol did not wear her safety goggles.  Don't be like Carol.

This is so a Direct TV commercial. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3005 on: March 16, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »

This is so a Direct TV commercial. :lol
No, it's older than that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: March 16, 2016, 11:37:34 AM »
OH!  I can't place it.......

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3007 on: March 16, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
Just finished listening to an audio bootleg of their Berlin concert. WOW.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3008 on: March 16, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
OH!  I can't place it.......

Neither could Carol.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni