Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518766 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2940 on: March 14, 2016, 08:12:59 AM »
I love The Astonishing, but hate that invisible blanket covering the speakers.
No clue what you're talking about.  Probably their best-sounding album since, well, a long damn time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2941 on: March 14, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
I really enjoy the mix overall.  Definitely one of their best sounding albums IMO and easily the best in awhile although I don't have the complaints that are typical on DTF regarding the sound/mix.

This exactly.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2942 on: March 14, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
The only thing that bugs me to no end regarding the production is the ending of A Tempting Offer (bummer given I love that song very much) with the weird 'take the evening to deci-----de'. I know JP already ruled any mistakes out, but it just sounds weird. Once it was pointed out and I payed attention, it's been impossible to unlisten.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2943 on: March 14, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
The only thing that bugs me to no end regarding the production is the ending of A Tempting Offer (bummer given I love that song very much) with the weird 'take the evening to deci-----de'. I know JP already ruled any mistakes out, but it just sounds weird. Once it was pointed out and I payed attention, it's been impossible to unlisten.

oh my god why did you have to do this

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2944 on: March 14, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
Every company should have an acceptable murder rate!
That's a KILLER idea!
:rollin

Unless you are suggesting he was using the term in jest as a nickname ("my little battalion") ... no. Military is super anal about using correct nomenclature.

Yes, but as already pointed out, this is not a professional military.  It is a peasant militia.  But going back to the original question about why Naf' allowed it to exist, I wondered that myself.  A few possible explanations I came up with:
1.  It could be that the Empire actually encouraged militias in outlying areas with the thought that they are peasant military forces that the Empire can call upon in times of need (or when the Empire needs cannon fodder troops to send in somewhere to minimize the casualties of the actual regular army). 
2.  Naf' knew about them, but did not know how big or organized they were, and did not take action because he did not see them as an actual threat.
3.  Naf' didn't actually know about them.
4.  Actual plot hole.
Who knows whether it is any of these options or something else?

It's just thrown-together samples, sadly. As someone else pointed out, he asks his battalion to march when they are already marching.

Well, yes and no.  Although those two samples may literally seem inconsistent, I don't think it was a mistake or carelessness.  I think they are both there just to add feel and texture, and not to be taken literally.  The marching sound may not have been intended to indicate that soldiers are actually marching, but rather to just give a military feel to the passage.  Or it may be meant to convey that one group was already marching, and the "battalion" that is being addressed is a separate group that are being ordered to attention and then ordered to march as well.  Again, I think over-literalizing it to try to find supposed mistakes is missing the point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2945 on: March 14, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
Yes, but as already pointed out, this is not a professional military.  It is a peasant militia.  But going back to the original question about why Naf' allowed it to exist, I wondered that myself.  A few possible explanations I came up with:
1.  It could be that the Empire actually encouraged militias in outlying areas with the thought that they are peasant military forces that the Empire can call upon in times of need (or when the Empire needs cannon fodder troops to send in somewhere to minimize the casualties of the actual regular army). 
2.  Naf' knew about them, but did not know how big or organized they were, and did not take action because he did not see them as an actual threat.
4.  Actual plot hole.

Naf finds out about Gabriel in the song Lord Nefarius right? News finds its way to the empire one day... I just assumed that is when he learned not only about Gabriel, but also about the militia or specifically about the following as "the chosen one"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2946 on: March 14, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
He might have thought it would be too expensive to travel that far to engage them in battle unless absolutely necessary.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #2947 on: March 14, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
oh my god why did you have to do this
I remain shocked anyone is able to get by without hearing it immediately.  It was so jarring to my ear from first listen.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2948 on: March 14, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »
I do wonder if JP did hear it and just doesn't want to admit it, which I understand.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2949 on: March 14, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »
What is supposed to be wrong with that section?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2950 on: March 14, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »
When JLB says "Take the evening to decide" he says decide, but it kinda cuts out in the middle so it sounds like de-ide. It definitely doesn't ruin it for me and barely notice it, but when I really think about it, it jumps out.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2951 on: March 14, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
I'm not hearing a mistake.  I am hearing a vocal part that is very soft, almost a whisper, and James drawing out the consonant sound as the drums and other instruments sound.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2952 on: March 14, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »

I'm not hearing a mistake.  I am hearing a vocal part that is very soft, almost a whisper, and James drawing out the consonant sound as the drums and other instruments sound.

This. I don't think it's a mistake. I just never noticed it and it sounds pretty awful now that I know it's there.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2953 on: March 14, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »
You're probably right, but to me it sounds like someone hit pause on JLB and then hit play again.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2954 on: March 14, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
What is supposed to be wrong with that section?

Imagine the word decide was highlighted in Audacity to be faded out, but the whole word wasn't highlighted.

Deeeciiiiiiiiiiiiide

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2955 on: March 14, 2016, 07:14:15 PM »
4.  Actual plot hole.
In my opinion it was probably 3 (or maybe 2). After all, they are called 'Ravenskill Rebel Militia'.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #2956 on: March 14, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »
Nafaryus thought Gabriel was trying to start a revolution to become emperor, but it wasn't like that. Gabriel had his gift but has questions about himself (The Answer). Arhys was preparing the militia, and had a more militaristic mind.

I think the song Lord Nafaryus is about when he discovers about Gabriel and the militia, and that his first action about it is to check it out as it happens in A Savior In The Square.

About the batallion in A Better Life, as with the horses and trumpet in A Savior In The Square, I see them as more as a way of conveying the scene than what necessarily happened. They set the tone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2957 on: March 14, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
4.  Actual plot hole.
In my opinion it was probably 3 (or maybe 2). After all, they are called 'Ravenskill Rebel Militia'.
Yes, that is true.  Good point.  BUT it is #1 is still possible in that the GNE had militias, but the Ravenskill militia secretly referred to themselves as a "rebel" militia. 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2958 on: March 14, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
Yes, that is true.  Good point.  BUT it is #1 is still possible in that the GNE had militias, but the Ravenskill militia secretly referred to themselves as a "rebel" militia. 
Didn't think about that. Makes sense!
You mean, like 'Yes, Dark Master, I will fight for you!', but really 'I do not fight for you, Dark Master!'?

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2959 on: March 15, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
Looks like they updated the trailer. I'm not sure if I'm the last to know, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHFswk8K3o

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2960 on: March 15, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »
Looks like they updated the trailer. I'm not sure if I'm the last to know, or what?

I'd say you were the first to know! (it seems it was uploaded just an hour ago). Cool trailer! I suppose most of it is part of the video projections in the show (anyone can confirm?). My favourite bits were the eye at 0:52, and Daryus' 'disfigured' head at 1:13.

Also: nice to see some confirmation that they plan on continuing to tour next year!

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #2961 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »
I prefer the old one! More cheesy.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2962 on: March 15, 2016, 08:49:26 AM »
Probably you have already noticed it before, but the NOMACS on the astonishing page has a third clickable eye, and sometimes I hear weird rumors if I click/ scroll over them...
The sound is random, I don't understand if it's a problem with my PC..

EDIT- you get random NOMACS noise when you scroll over the NOMAC, not if you push the buttons..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:03:37 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2963 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »

I'd say you were the first to know! (it seems it was uploaded just an hour ago). Cool trailer! I suppose most of it is part of the video projections in the show (anyone can confirm?). My favourite bits were the eye at 0:52, and Daryus' 'disfigured' head at 1:13.

Also: nice to see some confirmation that they plan on continuing to tour next year!

:tup I like that new one a lot!! Yes, it looks like they have mixed in some of the video from the live show along with elements from the last trailer. The DT logo and swirly fire effects in the first few seconds are really cool.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2964 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Interesting that the new trailer had "World Tour 2016-2017". I wonder if there's still the possibility of a second leg that would include the southern US!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2965 on: March 15, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
I guess my car speakers just suck, because the album sounds pretty clear on my headphones.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2966 on: March 15, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
You're probably right, but to me it sounds like someone hit pause on JLB and then hit play again.
Okay, I tried to focus in on it at higher volume on a better system, and I definitely hear what you mean now.  But I am still not sure it is a mistake.  It just sounds odd.  When James switches to the near whisper and the word starts to fade out, I usually stop paying attention to the vocals, and my attention shifts to what the instruments are doing, which is why I think I never noticed it before.  But right when the drums and other instruments sound, it sounds like the vocals come back in right in the middle of the word at full volume.  So, yeah, it does sound like that is a remnant from another take.  Whether it is or not, who knows?  It just may be a quirk in the way James sang it.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2967 on: March 15, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »
I took a self imposed necessary 2 week break from the album because I was wearing it out. The result was a fresh new perspective, hearing songs differently than before. Songs like Moment of Betrayal, The Walking Shadow, My last Farewell and others have really come to life.
Sometimes distancing yourself from an album and returning down the road can bring the music to a whole other level.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline smegolas

« Reply #2968 on: March 15, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »

This. I don't think it's a mistake. I just never noticed it and it sounds pretty awful now that I know it's there.

Unreal, I've listened to this track 20 times and never noticed this.  Now that I know about it its going to bug me, because it is - without a doubt - a mistake.  Yuck!

Offline smegolas

« Reply #2969 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
I took a self imposed necessary 2 week break from the album because I was wearing it out. The result was a fresh new perspective, hearing songs differently than before. Songs like Moment of Betrayal, The Walking Shadow, My last Farewell and others have really come to life.
Sometimes distancing yourself from an album and returning down the road can bring the music to a whole other level.

I tried to do this.  I lasted 24 hours.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2970 on: March 15, 2016, 12:42:25 PM »
People talk about the "deciiiiiiiide" section, but I've yet to see a comment about the vocal delivery of "And let me bring you back to earth". That one is ... odd, to say the least.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2971 on: March 15, 2016, 12:47:18 PM »

I tried to do this.  I lasted 24 hours.

It's a drug and I am addicted as well....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2972 on: March 15, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
I guess my car speakers just suck, because the album sounds pretty clear on my headphones.

With most music (not all), there's a world of difference between listening to music on headphones and a generic car stereo.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2973 on: March 15, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »

Unreal, I've listened to this track 20 times and never noticed this.  Now that I know about it its going to bug me, because it is - without a doubt - a mistake.  Yuck!

Not necessarily.  Again, it could just be the way James phrased it.  It is hard to hear exactly what is going on during that vocal transition because of the drum hit and other instruments, so although it sounds like punching in from another take, it may not be that at all.

People talk about the "deciiiiiiiide" section, but I've yet to see a comment about the vocal delivery of "And let me bring you back to earth". That one is ... odd, to say the least.

Yeah, it definitely is.  I was just thinking that again this morning.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2974 on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »

With most music (not all), there's a world of difference between listening to music on headphones and a generic car stereo.

How dare you assume my car stereo is generic even though it totally is.

Something I loved about my old car's speakers is that when one blew out, it made Iced Earth's Dante's Inferno sound even more awesome with the enhanced bass, which was just a broken speaker rattling, but it still sounded cool.