Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519159 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2870 on: March 10, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »
Chosen is my favorite song on the album

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2871 on: March 10, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Some people must still be on that post-release sugar high to rank TA higher than SDOIT. I mean, not even close.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2872 on: March 10, 2016, 08:17:54 AM »
I'm strictly pre-Keep the Faith for Bon Jovi. Still don't hear it though.

During "Chosen" I keep hearing the choruses of a slower "Livin' On A Prayer"/"Stick To Your Guns"/"I'll Be There For You" (or, for post-New Jersey material, "Always"/"Bed Of Roses"/"Thank You For Loving Me").

:lol Yeah, like a combo of Always and Thank You For Loving Me. That vibe.

Or better yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9gm0vlhlY

:lol
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:29:15 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2873 on: March 10, 2016, 09:02:33 AM »
Yeah...I'm amazed James LaBrie isn't doing that laugh live. The lines before really lead up to that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:32 AM »
Some people must still be on that post-release sugar high to rank TA higher than SDOIT. I mean, not even close.

Not me, never was a big fan of SDOIT disc 2.  Disc 1 is great though but that wasn't the comparison.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2875 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:21 AM »

Why isn't it close?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »
Because Rock.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2877 on: March 10, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
Six Degrees is my all time favorite DT album and The Astonishing ties that album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2878 on: March 10, 2016, 09:21:25 AM »
SDOIT is awesome, but it feels longer to me than The Astonishing despite actually being shorter. I dunno... The album as a whole just doesn't gel as nicely, IMO. Still a great record, though.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2879 on: March 10, 2016, 09:26:32 AM »
SDOIT is awesome, but it feels longer to me than The Astonishing despite actually being shorter. I dunno... The album as a whole just doesn't gel as nicely, IMO. Still a great record, though.

Complete opposite for me. SDOIT, song and album, have always flown by for me every single time, without skipping a thing. TA has been a thorough slog to get through for me, and there's no way I could manage it in one go without skipping half of it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2880 on: March 10, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »

Complete opposite for me. SDOIT, song and album, have always flown by for me every single time, without skipping a thing. TA has been a thorough slog to get through for me, and there's no way I could manage it in one go without skipping half of it.

I wouldn't say TA feels shorter, because it's significant;y longer, but I get the sentiment.  TA flows much better as a whole than SDOIT, I always felt that song was more of separate tracks than one song because of that reason.  TA's two acts almost feel like they could be a long song each, the flow and musical themes just go much better IMO.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2881 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »
The only thing TA has made realise about SDOIT lately is the cheap synth orchestral sounds used. I didn't really pay much attention to that in the past but boy, there is a big difference in orchestral sound quality.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2882 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:08 AM »

Um, no.  :lol

TA started off very low in my rankings, but over time it got to 2nd place. That's not a 'post-release sugar high'.

I wouldn't say TA feels shorter, because it's significant;y longer, but I get the sentiment.  TA flows much better as a whole than SDOIT, I always felt that song was more of separate tracks than one song because of that reason.  TA's two acts almost feel like they could be a long song each, the flow and musical themes just go much better IMO.

I agree on TA flowing well as an album, but SDoIT to me is more cohesive as a single unit because it is shorter and movements transition in a natural way compared to the many silences between TA tracks (and only one proper transition in ASitS - WYTHC, although TGoM and MoB smoothly after the overtures on each Act). TA is more satisfying to me purely because it's 130 mins against 42.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2883 on: March 10, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
TA started off very low in my rankings, but over time it got to 2nd place. That's not a 'post-release sugar high'.

Over time?? It's only been out 6 weeks! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2884 on: March 10, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »

Over time?? It's only been out 6 weeks! :lol

It's still a period of time!  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2885 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »

Why isn't it close?

Obviously this is all down to personal preference, but SDOIT, to me (and I think to many others) is in the upper echelon of DT's Top 3.
TA, no.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2886 on: March 10, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »
:lol Yeah, like a combo of Always and Thank You For Loving Me. That vibe.

Or better yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9gm0vlhlY

:lol

Hey, that one is really the most similar!
I didn't know that song until now. Never was a Bon Jovi fan, but my younger brother had their CDs up until Have A Nice Day. I think I liked some songs on Bounce, but never cared for anything after.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2887 on: March 10, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

I'm not surprised, this happens with every new album.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2888 on: March 10, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
Chosen is my favorite song on the album
That is one incredible song!  So we'll written and the sound and melody lines are just perfect. This should be a hit single all over the radio right now..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2889 on: March 10, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
I love TA more and more with each listen. I went through it three times today. There I was, on the 2 train, heading to a site. I'm listening to the second half of the second act. As everything in the story unfolds: Faythe's almost death, Gabriel refinding his voice, Nafaryus having a change of heart, tears are welling up in my eyes on everything from My Last Farewell to The Astonishing. So much so that the woman next to me turned and asked if I was alright.

I think the second disc is by far the more powerful of the two in regards to the story. It's so intense and profound that I find it hard to get through without feeling something from it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2890 on: March 10, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I love TA more and more with each listen. I went through it three times today. There I was, on the 2 train, heading to a site. I'm listening to the second half of the second act. As everything in the story unfolds: Faythe's almost death, Gabriel refinding his voice, Nafaryus having a change of heart, tears are welling up in my eyes on everything from My Last Farewell to The Astonishing. So much so that the woman next to me turned and asked if I was alright.

I think the second disc is by far the more powerful of the two in regards to the story. It's so intense and profound that I find it hard to get through without feeling something from it.

You're an emotional dude, huh?

And yes, TA is amazing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2891 on: March 10, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »

You're an emotional dude, huh?

And yes, TA is amazing.

A resounding yes in regards to both sentences.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2892 on: March 10, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »

This
From first listen to know, I have tears each time I listen to act 2, I'm not able to sing along path of divide or my last farewell or hymn of a thousand voices, they hit my guts so hard.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2893 on: March 10, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
It's good to see that I'm not alone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: March 10, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »

This
From first listen to know, I have tears each time I listen to act 2, I'm not able to sing along path of divide or my last farewell or hymn of a thousand voices, they hit my guts so hard.

I agree with this too.  Act one is more of the set up to the story but act 2 is where all the action goes down and therefore where there is a lot of emotion.  This album definitely brings out some emotions with me which is difficult to do.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2895 on: March 10, 2016, 02:26:22 PM »
Both Acts are pretty vital to the story. Act II wouldn't be as powerful without Act I. Very well constructed.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2896 on: March 10, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »
So much so that the woman next to me turned and asked if I was alright.

^ Ha, this is great. I have to admit to getting a bit misty at certain sections too. :'(

The album is still holding up well for me. Most folks in our office sit with headphones on most of the day, so it allows me to listen to large chunks at a time. Besides, being in IT, nobody likes to communicate verbally anyway. IM-ing the guy sitting right beside you 3 ft away at the next desk is not uncommon.. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: March 10, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
So much so that the woman next to me turned and asked if I was alright.

^ Ha, this is great. I have to admit to getting a bit misty at certain sections too. :'(

The album is still holding up well for me. Most folks in our office sit with headphones on most of the day, so it allows me to listen to large chunks at a time. Besides, being in IT, nobody likes to communicate verbally anyway. IM-ing the guy sitting right beside you 3 ft away at the next desk is not uncommon.. :lol

You work at my company?  :lol It's odd how the office is so quiet but the chat rooms are so active... with the people all sitting next to each other.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2898 on: March 10, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
I'm sure it seems very weird to anyone not used to that sort of environment.

Anyway, the bosses seem to like it that way. If we don't talk to each other, we can't argue, and the murder rate is kept to an acceptable level.  :lol

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2899 on: March 10, 2016, 03:48:20 PM »
Every company should have an acceptable murder rate!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2900 on: March 10, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »
Every company should have an acceptable murder rate!
That's a KILLER idea!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2901 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »
Chosen is definitely great.

It also sounds nothing like Bon Jovi.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2902 on: March 11, 2016, 01:34:01 AM »
Chosen is definitely great.

It also sounds nothing like Bon Jovi.

But what if we're talking about this Bon Jovi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SptZSYieps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9gm0vlhlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRjvYzqdrQ

:lol Yeah, I am pushing it. :p

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2903 on: March 11, 2016, 02:19:10 AM »
I keep imagining the life of the characters after the album ends. Just think: Nafaryus (through Faythe) becomes Xander's step-grandfather. (Gabriel: "We're going to visit Grampa Nafaryus today!") Also, he's stuck with that name long after he turned "good". Someone's bound to ask him "Why are you called Nafaryus?" at some point down the line.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2904 on: March 11, 2016, 02:25:35 AM »
Xander probably talks shit about his uncle Daryus, he's still pissed about the whole dad thing. "X, my son, that's not very nice." "Who cares? He can't hear me anyway!"