Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518790 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2695 on: March 01, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »
It can be, yes.  And not sure whether you have ever seen TSO, but in some of their shows, which are often presented in "rock opera" format, they follow that format as well where a narrator jumps in to give exposition.  But I guess one thing that makes this different is that the parts of the different characters and narrator are all being performed by the same person singing the lines.  James is just juggling the different roles/perspectives rather than different actors playing those parts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2696 on: March 01, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
DT have done that once before, in The Great Debate, where they switched to "addressing the reader" directly. ("Pay attention to the questions we have raised")
There's probably a fancy literature term for it, but it's essentially the fact that in my mind, I'm going from watching characters interact, to some guy telling me about what's happening.

Authorial Intrusion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2697 on: March 01, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
Good lord, that is a fancy literary term.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2698 on: March 01, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
 :lol 

There's a word for everything. For example, the word for me actually knowing that is probably ostentatious.   :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2699 on: March 01, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
I am really not all familiar with musicals and operas, but is that something that is done outside of plays? In plays those "off speaker" statements are more meant for the director to direct the acting in a certain way ("X and Y stay behind, pensive"), but it strikes me as uncommon outside of that.
That's a bit different I think, what DT have done in TA is use an up-front ("on stage") narrator as part of the thing itself. Which definitely happens in musicals - a great example of this is in Evita (where the narrator was played by Antonio Banderas in the movie version). I wouldn't say it's super common, but it's not entirely rare either.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2700 on: March 01, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
Okay, but Antonio Banderas could narrate pretty much anything and make it amazing, so I'm not sure your example helps make the point.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2701 on: March 01, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »
For people who have seen the live performance, do the videos running in the background help making that distinction?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2702 on: March 01, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »
For people who have seen the live performance, do the videos running in the background help making that distinction?

Sort of. Often a character fills the screen when they are singing but in other instances like ANB, Three Days or Moment of Betrayal, it's merely just to augment what DT are playing with visuals that suit the mood.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2703 on: March 01, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »
Nah not remotely. They mainly just add to the tone of what's going on, but you wouldn't be able to follow the story at all from the live show alone if you didn't know it a bit already.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2704 on: March 01, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »
During the Q&A on sunday, we got clarification that the stuff thats been written on the emails, website and tourbook is all a guy (Ryan something). He's the one that came up with a lot of the world outside of whats within the concept and lyrics itself...

Makes sense now. I didn't understand why, after reading those e-mails (in a more formal style, with lots of fancy words), the lyrics were in a simpler style.

When you mean "came up with a lot of the world": do you mean that the NOMACs, or some places' names, or the fact that in 2028 something happened, are stuff from his imagination (and not John's)???

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2705 on: March 01, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
2028 was his (it was a question actually)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2706 on: March 02, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
2028 was his (it was a question actually)

His as in John's? Or Ryan's?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2707 on: March 02, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »
Ryans. The question was regarding all the seeming "links" to old stuff (particularly 1928/2028/metropolis), and JP basically answered "I wish I was that smart - I'd not even thought off all the things you mentioned now. all of that was ryan"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2708 on: March 02, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
The riff starting at about 2:52 of My Last Farewell is a gem I long overlooked.  I cannot place what it reminds me of, but I like it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2709 on: March 02, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
Usually with a new DT album I look forward to 2-3 great songs, 3-4 pretty good, and maybe 1 I don't like. TA has like 20 great songs, about 5 good to very good, and a couple I don't care for. That's a great ratio.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2710 on: March 02, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »
Usually with a new DT album I look forward to 2-3 great songs, 3-4 pretty good, and maybe 1 I don't like. TA has like 20 great songs, about 5 good to very good, and a couple I don't care for. That's a great ratio.

That's about where I am too.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2711 on: March 02, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
Ryans. The question was regarding all the seeming "links" to old stuff (particularly 1928/2028/metropolis), and JP basically answered "I wish I was that smart - I'd not even thought off all the things you mentioned now. all of that was ryan"

Oh, OK, thanks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2712 on: March 02, 2016, 03:23:43 PM »

Identical situation in my case as well.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #2713 on: March 02, 2016, 04:47:43 PM »
So maybe this has been answered in this thread already, but I can't be bothered to search for it.  :yarr

At the end of SitS there's a lyric that says: They only know the Noise Machines, so I will treat them to sonic ecstasy. This is immediately followed by a bit of dissonant wankery, then Gabe sees Faythe over a mellow bit. Which part is supposed to be the "sonic ecstasy"?

Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: March 02, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »

I find that I start an "Act" and just end up listening to the whole thing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2715 on: March 02, 2016, 05:07:47 PM »
So maybe this has been answered in this thread already, but I can't be bothered to search for it.  :yarr

At the end of SitS there's a lyric that says: They only know the Noise Machines, so I will treat them to sonic ecstasy. This is immediately followed by a bit of dissonant wankery, then Gabe sees Faythe over a mellow bit. Which part is supposed to be the "sonic ecstasy"?

When Your Time Has Come

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2716 on: March 02, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »
Yeah, to me the dissonant wankery represents the moment Gabriel is distracted as soon as he sees Faythe. The 'sonic ecstasy' would be the song he plays in front of the crowd.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #2717 on: March 02, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »
To me the dissonant wankery represents the tension between the crowd and the GNEA peeps when Gabriel agrees to give into the emperor's desires to hear him play, and as the emperor waits for Gabriel to play his song. The piano line that follows is Gabriel being distracted as he sees Faythe, and yes WYTHC is the "sonic ecstacy."

Savior In The Square is actually one of my favorite tracks because of howe cinematic it is. You can watch the scene take place as you listen to the song, like a movie.  It is pretty spectacular.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2718 on: March 02, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
To me, the dissonant wankery represent the moment where JP and JR said "hey that sounds cool, let's keep it"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2719 on: March 02, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »
To me, the dissonant wankery represent the moment where JP and JR said "hey that sounds cool, let's keep it"
That's probably right. But at least it makes sense and has parallels with the story!  :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #2720 on: March 02, 2016, 11:23:15 PM »
Hey, i'm a new member. Hi all.
I read the first 7 pages of this thread, so if i repeat something, sorry.
That rapping part in 'TPTD's' is mindblowing! That and Three days are my early favorites.

I wanted to also comment on the first vid from this. I heard that it was budget, or lack there of as to why the vid to TGOM was so weak.
Even if true, arent you tired of performance videos?
And are you Astonished that DT make terrible video after terrible video? Its their one weakness. Even the vid for 'Lie' was bad, in that the song was edited for MTV, and such.
That said, do you expect other videos to be at least animated, ala 'Forsaken?' Or will they not offer up even one vid that is a story part from TA?

'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2721 on: March 03, 2016, 01:47:42 AM »
I think the lack of effort in making quality music videos for Dream Theater is that, ultimately, it won't make much financial sense. It really won't bring in much more revenue for the band because they are in a niche market anyway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2722 on: March 03, 2016, 01:58:15 AM »
I agree that bigger budget music videos aren't really worth it for a band like DT. It's the music that brings people in, and music videos are just something to watch while listening to the song. In that regard, I think the music video for TGOM is perfectly fine, even if it leaves something to be desired. Due to the internet, music videos don't have the importance that they did in the past.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline thosava

« Reply #2723 on: March 03, 2016, 04:36:29 AM »
The riff starting at about 2:52 of My Last Farewell is a gem I long overlooked.  I cannot place what it reminds me of, but I like it.

I agree! It sounds like something taken straight out of Home :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2724 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »
That rapping part in 'TPTD'

I have no idea what you are referring to.

I agree! It sounds like something taken straight out of Home :metal
No, that isn't what I was thinking.  I was thinking something outside of DT.  Not a specific song, but a general sound.  Maybe like something from Lacuna Coil or Alter Bridge?  I'm just not placing it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2725 on: March 03, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
No, that isn't what I was thinking.  I was thinking something outside of DT.  Not a specific song, but a general sound.  Maybe like something from Lacuna Coil or Alter Bridge?  I'm just not placing it.

I always thought that riff reminded me a little of Come to Life by Alter Bridge.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2726 on: March 03, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
That rapping part in 'TPTD'

I have no idea what you are referring to.

It's the "I knew the day had come, and you could be tempted." bit. Basically a rap battle between Arhys and Daryus.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2727 on: March 03, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
Doesn't a "rap battle" actually have to have...you know...rapping?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2728 on: March 03, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
I knew immediately what he was talking about when he said rap section  :lol

It's definitely not a rap though because it doesn't have rhymes or anything, it's just said really fast.... Kinda like when people refer to that part in This Dying Soul as a rap
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rab7

« Reply #2729 on: March 03, 2016, 09:36:11 AM »

It's definitely not a rap though because it doesn't have rhymes or anything

I knew the day would COME
And you would be TEMPTED
To give up the chosen ONE
and finally END THIS
Do anything for your SON
A terminal Weakness
But now you're as good as DONE

I didn't have a CHOICE
And I was defENSELESS
I didn't believe his VOICE
The fighting was SENSELESS
But now I can see the truth
I've got to my SENSES
I shouldn't have trusted you

Those look pretty rhyme-ey to me. Some of the first parts are more assonances or partial rhymes, but most raps have those anyway