Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519836 times)

Offline Thematt202

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2520 on: February 22, 2016, 10:34:12 AM »
Amen to that!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2521 on: February 22, 2016, 10:56:12 AM »
Has anyone drastically changed their opinion either negative or positive with multiple spins under the belt?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2522 on: February 22, 2016, 11:17:43 AM »
Has anyone drastically changed their opinion either negative or positive with multiple spins under the belt?

If going "This is pretty good" to "MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING" counts, then yes.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2523 on: February 22, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
Just looking at the map in the tour book (much clearer double page spread so you can actually make out everything). Doesn't it seem like a missed chance and, ultimately, pointless? There seems to be so many places spread out and really, the Palace and Ravenskill are not that far away.

Plus some of the names sound intriguing. Hell's Gateway? Lake of the Clouds? Sunken Hook?

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2524 on: February 22, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »

No, Loved it from 1st spin until present.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2525 on: February 22, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »

No, Loved it from 1st spin until present.

Same here. Great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2526 on: February 22, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

In the credits (if you look closely) it says "Nafaryus spoken vocal by Richard Chycki". Apart from lines in Lord Nafaryus and Three Days which I'm 99% certain are spoken pompously by JLB, there are no other spoken passages. Unless it refers to the crying section at the beginning of Losing Faythe. In which case, they could easily have got a woman from the choir to do Arabelle's crying, and Faythe's getting-stabbed sounds (which sound like an actual girl rather than JLB).

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2527 on: February 22, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
Just looking at the map in the tour book (much clearer double page spread so you can actually make out everything). Doesn't it seem like a missed chance and, ultimately, pointless? There seems to be so many places spread out and really, the Palace and Ravenskill are not that far away.

Plus some of the names sound intriguing. Hell's Gateway? Lake of the Clouds? Sunken Hook?

I think there are various things they can do with this.

1. Multimedia expansion like how JP said that the NOMACS will be focused on in a future novelisation. (which is confirmed)

2. Songs on future albums or EPs telling the events leading up to TA. (would be cool, like a new 12 step suite sort of thing)

3. Full length 1CD prequel in a non-Rock Opera style, but still having some different aspects like more electronic or jazz fusion influence. (would probably work, though would have to wait at least 2 albums for it to be effective)

4. Another full Rock Opera prequel. (probably not going to happen, lol)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2528 on: February 22, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »

In the credits (if you look closely) it says "Nafaryus spoken vocal by Richard Chycki". Apart from lines in Lord Nafaryus and Three Days which I'm 99% certain are spoken pompously by JLB, there are no other spoken passages. Unless it refers to the crying section at the beginning of Losing Faythe. In which case, they could easily have got a woman from the choir to do Arabelle's crying, and Faythe's getting-stabbed sounds (which sound like an actual girl rather than JLB).

The way I hear them, the vocals to the spoken words you mention in "Lord Nafaryus" and "3D" don't seem to come from James, so maybe those are the ones Richard gets credited for. Although, I've only heard Richard's voice in the 'In the studio' clips released in 2013, so I'm not sure.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #2529 on: February 22, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
 :tup
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2530 on: February 22, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »
If that's the case, Chycki sounds a hell of a lot like LaBrie then. Too much like him. And it's strange that JLB would stop singing just for those lines then come back in so quickly. He might as well sing/speak the whole thing.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #2531 on: February 22, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »

I think this has come up before, and folks have floated the theory that it's a misprint -- it's meant to be Arhys, and it's the spoken lines at the beginning of "A Better Life."
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2532 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
That makes more sense, indeed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2533 on: February 22, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
2. Songs on future albums or EPs telling the events leading up to TA. (would be cool, like a new 12 step suite sort of thing)
I was thinking this very thing.  Given the sheer amount of work that recording this album entailed, I would imagine that a full prequel or sequel album is doubtful. 

But revisiting this world with individual songs on future albums would be pretty cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2534 on: February 22, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »
Darren Redick said last night on his One Man and his Prog show that we shouldn't worry if we didn't get to London this week, as the band WILL be returning to the UK with the Astonishing tour.  No further details were given, just that he "thinks he's allowed to say this now"....
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2535 on: February 22, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »
Darren Redick said last night on his One Man and his Prog show that we shouldn't worry if we didn't get to London this week, as the band WILL be returning to the UK with the Astonishing tour.  No further details were given, just that he "thinks he's allowed to say this now"....

I hope the do another US leg as I am likely missing this one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2536 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:23 PM »

I hope the do another US leg as I am likely missing this one.
Same here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2537 on: February 22, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »

Maybe somewhere NOT London.

OR.. recording at the Palladium  :hat

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #2538 on: February 22, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »

Unfortunately my opinion continues to change for the worse. I will keep plugging away at it because of loyalty. I'm hoping it clicks at some point because I want to be as into it as everyone else here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:39:30 AM by energythief »

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #2539 on: February 22, 2016, 03:10:08 PM »
Sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:40:19 AM by energythief »

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: February 22, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »
seriously, how great is Dystopian Overture?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2541 on: February 22, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »

Hands down my favourite DT instrumental. Knocked Stream of Consciousness down from its throne.   :hefdaddy

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2542 on: February 22, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »

It's really fucking great. It hasn't quite beat Dance of Eternity of SoC yet, but we'll see.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: February 22, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
Dance of Eternity can suck a dick imo

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2544 on: February 22, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
Easily in my top 3 DT instrumentals.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2545 on: February 22, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »

As long as it's my dick, and I get to listen to it at the same time, I really don't care.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2546 on: February 22, 2016, 05:21:08 PM »
As long as it's my dick, and I get to listen to it at the same time, I really don't care.

:rollin :rollin :rollin Holy fuck this made me laugh way more than it should.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2547 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:31 PM »

Oh, you did NOT just dis The Dance Of Eternity!   :omg:
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2548 on: February 22, 2016, 05:26:24 PM »

Absolutely perfect, it is. All those amazing themes, damn. The X Aspect theme is so beautiful :'(, the Road to Revolution theme sounds glorious :hefdaddy and that Nafaryus theme near the beginning sounds sinister as hell :metal. Best DT overture IMO. So much variety and power.

:lol
On the subject of that song: I've often found it strange that when DT play that song live, they don't follow with OLT even though the end of the song is a transition to it. So it just ends with DOOOO dut-dut-dut DA  DA  DA then, just stops like when people play The Mirror on its own. In the album, when you consider those two songs as one unit as Scene Seven, it works far better than playing either in isolation.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2549 on: February 22, 2016, 05:49:38 PM »
It seemed to me that they did it that way for the CD split on SFNY. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2550 on: February 22, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
It seemed to me that they did it that way for the CD split on SFNY.

Yeah, but that doesn't sound as good as a proper transition to OLT. IMO of course and I appreciate that the band may have needed a few moments to relax after TDoE.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2551 on: February 22, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »
I wouldn't go that far, but I am quite sick of it myself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2552 on: February 22, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
The Dance of Eternity is a good tune, and I can see why fans of their more technical side gush over it, but it really does sound out of place on Scenes, and most of their other instrumentals are more interesting and better melodically.  I have said for years that if track 9 on Scenes was as awesome as the rest of the record, that could have been their best ever (and it is in some regards anyway, since Awake, I&W and Scenes are almost like 1a, 1b and 1c for me).

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2553 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
Dance is a good 'OMG THEY PLAY FAST NICE BAND I'LL CHECK OUT MORE FAST STUFF BY THEM TR00 MUSICIANS' song.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2554 on: February 22, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »

I am really hoping that DT does another tour, but a mixed set and not just 'The Astonishing'.  They could easily pick some gems off the new cd, the songs off of the self titled not yet played and a few other tunes.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.