Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519708 times)

Offline The Astonished

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2450 on: February 17, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
After 6 listens, I decided to make the 7th listen the complete journey. I already loved the hell out of this album, but after 130 minutes of subsequent, pure, musical bliss... i'm safe to say that The Astonishing has become my favourite album of Dream Theater. I'll say it to you all, TA is meant to be listened in its whole. You will get the complete experience and be blown away by a cyclone of melodies, riffs, vocals, drums, synths, violins, strings and more. Dream Theater has completely outdone themselves with this and I couldn't be any more happier. There is SO much great stuff going on, astonishing might indeed be my only definition. And the real MVP...of course it's none other than JLB. Easily his best performance since SFAM. Where the hell did he hide this voice all the time?!! I cannot choose the best vocal part, it's impossible. First I loved the chorus on Brother... , then Losing Faythe's "farewell" reprise by Nafaryus become by favourite vocal part, then the finale of Hymn of a Thousand Voices, then his high on ravenskill, and so forth. While there's a lot of melodic slow stuff, there's also a well-balanced heavier riffy portions on this album. So to make this short, everyone that already loves the crap out of this album but haven't listened it in one go, do it. It's probably demanding for a lot of people but I feel that this album has been created to listen it in its whole. Can't wait to see the guys performing The Astonishing in front of my eyes, upcoming Monday.

Peace out, DTF'ers!
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2451 on: February 17, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
So I'll treat them all to sonic ecstasy... BUM. BUM BUM. budududududuududud BUM. BUM BUM BUM.

absolutely love that moment

I was thinking about this. I assume WYTHC is the song he sings publicly in front of Nafaryus? If so, it seems underwhelming to me. I think a different song should have been used to blow Nafaryus away. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the scene.

Well he could have just played Dance of Eternity if he wanted to impress him... that is if he could pull it off with a beaten up acoustic and his voice  to imitate the beatbox cover guy  :lol

My thoughts on the discussion here (and also about this plot hole issue) is that one shouldn't try to make sense out of certain things in the story, because there's no real, convincing explanation.

For instance, I can't understand how Gabriel (who never in his life listened to other music except from NOMACs') could come up just by himself with all these chords, chord progressions and melodies so similar to those found in Western pop music (from hundreds of years before he was born). I like to think that "When Your Time Has Come" is not the actual song he plays, but a musical dramatization of the scene*. Obviously, the lyrics are what he sings - but as far as the music, I like to think the "real" song is actually much different.

Or, maybe he had guitar lessons from someone who taught him all those chords and progressions from centuries ago, so the spirit (of pop music) carries on.

* I bet that's the whole point of an opera/musical, but I'm not familiar with the genre so maybe someone can explain?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2452 on: February 17, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
My thoughts on the discussion here (and also about this plot hole issue) is that one shouldn't try to make sense out of certain things in the story, because there's no real, convincing explanation.

For instance, I can't understand how Gabriel (who never in his life listened to other music except from NOMACs') could come up just by himself with all these chords, chord progressions and melodies so similar to those found in Western pop music (from hundreds of years before he was born). I like to think that "When Your Time Has Come" is not the actual song he plays, but a musical dramatization of the scene*. Obviously, the lyrics are what he sings - but as far as the music, I like to think the "real" song is actually much different.

Or, maybe he had guitar lessons from someone who taught him all those chords and progressions from centuries ago, so the spirit (of pop music) carries on.

* I bet that's the whole point of an opera/musical, but I'm not familiar with the genre so maybe someone can explain?

I think they took creative liberties with the music on WYTHC, as in the 'real' version would've likely been just voice and guitar, with maybe the guitar being slightly out of tune with a duller tone than on the album. Also, things like the synth melody and drum pattern in the beginning add a lot and sound great.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2453 on: February 17, 2016, 04:38:09 PM »
So you're saying that the music we hear is not the greatest song in the world, just a tribute?

TENACIOUS D PT 2 CONFIRMED

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2454 on: February 17, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
So you're saying that the music we hear is not the greatest song in the world, just a tribute?

YES

YES I AM

:lol
But really, imagine being Nafaryus travelling to Ravenskill, saying "show me what you've got", Gabriel goes "ok", gathers FOUR OTHERS BORN WITH THE GIFT OF MUSIC (supposed to be a special thing in this album), gets a colossus of a drumkit, a bass guitar, a pristine keyboard, a top-end microphone and a shiny electric guitar (along with a ton of cables) and rocks WYTHC at 110 db.   :metal The first thought of Naf won't be "oh man, I forgot this kind of thing existed", it'll be "WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET ALL THAT?".

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #2455 on: February 17, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
Since Gabriel has indeed the gift of music and can even defy death, I imagine he can easily play modern western music with drums and everything just with his guitar.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2456 on: February 17, 2016, 06:00:58 PM »
Mike Mangini update, specifically addressed to those who would attend the live show:

"Our Dress rehearsal tonight is over. I don't want to post any kit pics etc or anything about this spectacle until after the first show. I also am interested in the reactions, more the feelings, of those there at the show and those there over time to really get a database of opinions to average out. I don't value YouTube reflections and thus comments because that medium has no bone-rattling feel while analog reality is just another animal. My phone clips don't come close to how it is in person. Odd thing how unrelated a cell phone view is to the real thing. Not even comparable.This show is another animal too because of the space in the music; the raw instrument sounds off of the stage; the impact of the really quiet parts vs. the huge entrances through a PA system that will shake the wooden chairs. I didn't realize while recording it how the opposing volumes, melodies and energy that make it what it is. DT does Space! I've already posted how hard it is to make the space not rush; to not succumb to the excuse of "feel" and have the intended timing and real intended feel suffer. I'll say that playing at home with a CD has nothing to do with what I felt today, but It is about the attendees starting tomorrow, not me. Have fun if you're joining us."

:metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2457 on: February 17, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
Dress rehearsal!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2458 on: February 17, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
I think they took creative liberties with the music on WYTHC, as in the 'real' version would've likely been just voice and guitar, with maybe the guitar being slightly out of tune with a duller tone than on the album. Also, things like the synth melody and drum pattern in the beginning add a lot and sound great.

I know, and I agree about the synth/drum at the beginning - it's one of my favourite songs from the album.
What I really meant, anyway, is that the chords/melodies that Gabriel plays at Ravenskill might not be the same as in the album. But, since his performance is supposed to be uplifting (and even capable of making Faythe fall in love with him), it makes sense for the band to play that sort of song in the album - it may produce the same vibe/feelings in the listeners (I know it does to me).

:P

I love The Pick Of Destiny. Another awesome concept album (and film :)).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2459 on: February 17, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
Dress rehearsal!

Would the Dream Theater members dress their part? How many costume changes would James make? :p

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2460 on: February 18, 2016, 01:38:06 AM »
Dress rehearsal!

Would the Dream Theater members dress their part? How many costume changes would James make? :p

I had posted a comment on dress change a while ago quoting a JLB tweet, but nobody remarked. Well, I'm eagerly waiting to see JLB dressed as Faythe, pink wig and all. :metal :rollin :rollin :rollin

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: February 18, 2016, 01:52:05 AM »
Dress rehearsal!

I had posted a comment on dress change a while ago quoting a JLB tweet, but nobody remarked. Well, I'm eagerly waiting to see JLB dressed as Faythe, pink wig and all. :metal :rollin :rollin :rollin

B.Lee

Yeah, Faythe will be great  :rollin

How the hell can James sing the songs like New Beginning where characters are talking to each other?? :lol
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: February 18, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »
When characters are talking to each other only one will be live... the other will be part of the backing track

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2463 on: February 18, 2016, 03:26:15 AM »
What is it, 15 hours away now?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #2464 on: February 18, 2016, 04:50:32 AM »
Dress rehearsal!

Dream Theater channels their inner Kiss Fan:

JP dresses as Arhys (you know he wrote the story just so he could lead the Ravenskill Militia)
MM as Daryus
JR as Nefaryus
JM as Xander (OK - bad short joke)
JL as Gabriel/Faythe (dresses like Gabriel, but with a pink wig)

Offline genome

« Reply #2465 on: February 18, 2016, 04:59:00 AM »
I want to see JMX in a pink wig.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2466 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »
JM can only play one character and that character is Evangeline.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2467 on: February 18, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »
Mike Mangini update, specifically addressed to those who would attend the live show:

"Our Dress rehearsal tonight is over. I don't want to post any kit pics etc or anything about this spectacle until after the first show. I also am interested in the reactions, more the feelings, of those there at the show and those there over time to really get a database of opinions to average out. I don't value YouTube reflections and thus comments because that medium has no bone-rattling feel while analog reality is just another animal. My phone clips don't come close to how it is in person. Odd thing how unrelated a cell phone view is to the real thing. Not even comparable.This show is another animal too because of the space in the music; the raw instrument sounds off of the stage; the impact of the really quiet parts vs. the huge entrances through a PA system that will shake the wooden chairs. I didn't realize while recording it how the opposing volumes, melodies and energy that make it what it is. DT does Space! I've already posted how hard it is to make the space not rush; to not succumb to the excuse of "feel" and have the intended timing and real intended feel suffer. I'll say that playing at home with a CD has nothing to do with what I felt today, but It is about the attendees starting tomorrow, not me. Have fun if you're joining us."

I agree that phone videos are normally awful.   Folks have talked about them dressing in costume.  As a joke, it would be funny if they dressed in costume for the meet and greet for the first show.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2468 on: February 18, 2016, 10:38:16 AM »
MM sure makes it sound epic! Really curious to see the stage and props...where the Nomacs might be. WIll MM have Nomac artwork
on his bass drums?

Really pumped to start hearing reviews and seeing vids.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2469 on: February 18, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »
Dress rehearsal!

SPOILER ALERT:  DT's stage outfits.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mike099

« Reply #2470 on: February 18, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »
    :lol   So, based on that photo, this will be a true metal show

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2471 on: February 18, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2472 on: February 18, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Myung will abandon his all black look for the first time ever?  :yarr
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2473 on: February 18, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »
From what I have heard of Ghost (which, admittedly, is not much), I'm not sure I would classify them as "metal."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2474 on: February 18, 2016, 11:59:11 AM »
From what I have heard of Ghost (which, admittedly, is not much), I'm not sure I would classify them as "metal."
I'm not a fan.

But they LOOK awesome.

Online Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.
« Reply #2475 on: February 18, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2476 on: February 18, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »
Probably not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #2477 on: February 18, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
please let us watch!!!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #2478 on: February 18, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »
After 6 listens, I decided to make the 7th listen the complete journey. I already loved the hell out of this album, but after 130 minutes of subsequent, pure, musical bliss... i'm safe to say that The Astonishing has become my favourite album of Dream Theater. I'll say it to you all, TA is meant to be listened in its whole. You will get the complete experience and be blown away by a cyclone of melodies, riffs, vocals, drums, synths, violins, strings and more. Dream Theater has completely outdone themselves with this and I couldn't be any more happier. There is SO much great stuff going on, astonishing might indeed be my only definition. And the real MVP...of course it's none other than JLB. Easily his best performance since SFAM. Where the hell did he hide this voice all the time?!! I cannot choose the best vocal part, it's impossible. First I loved the chorus on Brother... , then Losing Faythe's "farewell" reprise by Nafaryus become by favourite vocal part, then the finale of Hymn of a Thousand Voices, then his high on ravenskill, and so forth. While there's a lot of melodic slow stuff, there's also a well-balanced heavier riffy portions on this album. So to make this short, everyone that already loves the crap out of this album but haven't listened it in one go, do it. It's probably demanding for a lot of people but I feel that this album has been created to listen it in its whole. Can't wait to see the guys performing The Astonishing in front of my eyes, upcoming Monday.

Peace out, DTF'ers!

I love the key change to finish out The X Aspect.  I couldn't agree more that his performance on this album is one of his best.

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline mike099

« Reply #2479 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »

Scary Death Metal

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #2480 on: February 18, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »
I'm not a fan.

But they LOOK awesome.

And they actually SOUND AWESOME!

Anyway, do you think DT is going to be dressed as Ravenskill or TGNE??
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #2481 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
It would be very cool if each show everyone dressed as a character. One day they're all Xanders, next day they're all Faythes, and so on.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2482 on: February 18, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
It would be very cool if each show everyone dressed as a character. One day they're all Xanders, next day they're all Faythes, and so on.

Can you just imagine JP with a Faythe look? Quick, someone has to do a photoshop of it!! :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2483 on: February 18, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »

Can you just imagine JP with a Faythe look? Quick, someone has to do a photoshop of it!! :biggrin:

B.Lee

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45043.0

You just have to scroll down a bit...

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2484 on: February 18, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
Where are the London reviews?

In the London thread of the concrts and setlists forum.... intermission now