Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519710 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2415 on: February 16, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »
Anyone else waiting patiently for Nicky Spanjaards to cover a song off The Astonishing?

Who?
Starlord.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #2416 on: February 16, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
I feel like I've had enough listens to The Astonishing now to be able to judge it and consider it in the context of DT's discography.

As a piece of music, I really think this is the most impressive thing they've ever composed. Very consistent, very beautiful, deceptively complex.

As for the album's storytelling... I think it's mediocre. The lyrics and pacing are a little clumsy and occasionally amateurish. For me, that's really not a big deal- I honestly find it refreshing that it's not a self-serious 'dark' or 'gritty' story. I wonder if it could have been improved had they brought in someone else to storyboard JP's idea, although that might have had other negative consequences.

Taken as a whole, I'd now put this in my top 3 DT albums, and as a concept album I enjoy this more than SFAM. Awake and I&W are still the top 2 for now.

I find something to enjoy in every song on the record, but there are a few moments that jar with me:

- The crying at the beginning of Losing Faythe. I like the song, but that stock sample (or whatever it is) sucks.
- The 'children laughing' sample during Act of Faythe. Something about it is really out-of-place and off-putting.
- The BCYHM? melody. It's not bad, it just strikes me as bland and kind of hamfisted.
- The placement of 'Begin Again'. It's a decent song, but has more mundane, unnecessary lyrics about 'new beginnings' and throws the record's pacing in the 2nd act.
- Fading out one of JP's finest ever solos in A New Beginning. Why?
- The closing track (Astonishing) is just.... OK. Feels a little too sluggish, kind of a disappointing closer for me.

But beyond that.... this is really, REALLY good music. With a bit of editing and some better lyrics this would be one of my all-time favorites. As it is, it's still something I thoroughly enjoy listening to.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2417 on: February 16, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
My 15 month old daughter headbangs to the start of Dystopian Overture with a massive grin on her face.   Every time!

Can you please get this on video?!

I'll see what I can do!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2418 on: February 16, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
This tour might do JLB's voice in for good.  At least in the past there have been long instrumental breaks.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2419 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »
After listening to this a crap ton over the past 2 weeks I'm going to not touch it the next week or 2 and give it a few more spins.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2421 on: February 16, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
This tour might do JLB's voice in for good.  At least in the past there have been long instrumental breaks.

I'm not so sure, it's going to be just over a 2 hour show which is fairly standard for a lot of established bands and he has an intermission in the middle to recover which is unusual. There's also still quite a lot of non-singing parts apart from the two overtures and NOMAC tracks. Lots of orchestration and piano moments with no singing. Even something like Heavens Cove has a fairly lengthy instrumental intro. We'll soon see though, I'll be there on Thursday night.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #2422 on: February 16, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »
Anyone else waiting patiently for Nicky Spanjaards to cover a song off The Astonishing?

Who?
Starlord.

What an awesome reply :rollin

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2423 on: February 16, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »

I'm not so sure, it's going to be just over a 2 hour show which is fairly standard for a lot of established bands and he has an intermission in the middle to recover which is unusual. There's also still quite a lot of non-singing parts apart from the two overtures and NOMAC tracks. Lots of orchestration and piano moments with no singing. Even something like Heavens Cove has a fairly lengthy instrumental intro. We'll soon see though, I'll be there on Thursday night.

Lots of the songs have instrumental intros well over a minute long (eg. ASITS, BCYMH, ALLB). That's plenty of time for JLB to run backstage and have a quick swig of whatever he swigs on during concerts.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2424 on: February 16, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »

I am waiting for the first live show fan reviews on Thursday.  Have a great time!!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: February 16, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »

Lots of the songs have instrumental intros well over a minute long (eg. ASITS, BCYMH, ALLB). That's plenty of time for JLB to run backstage and have a quick swig of whatever he swigs on during concerts.

Hot water & honey I believe.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2426 on: February 16, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »
My 5-year-old son started singing along to "bow down to Nafaryus" while it was playing in the car.

My life is complete.

I've been there. My five-year-old daughter has asked for Wither and Bridges in the Sky. Most recently she was asking for Untouchable by Anathema.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2427 on: February 16, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »

Who?

Just googled him.  I will ask again: who??

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2428 on: February 16, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
I think he was a former forum member who did vocal covers.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2430 on: February 16, 2016, 09:12:30 PM »
I had forgotten about Nicky Spanjaards.... thank you Tick.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2431 on: February 16, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »
So I'll treat them all to sonic ecstasy... BUM. BUM BUM. budududududuududud BUM. BUM BUM BUM.

absolutely love that moment
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2432 on: February 17, 2016, 12:56:59 AM »
So I think my cut down version of this album sits comfortably in the top half of their discography for me (not quite sure where), and that's not a bad place to be.

That said, I still think that the full album is too ponderous and the story is too cheesy and predictable to make me listen to songs that I don't really dig for the sake of keeping the story intact.

My cut version is sitting a comfortable 4/5 for me, while the whole thing is a low 3/5 I'd say.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline genome

« Reply #2433 on: February 17, 2016, 04:21:08 AM »

:o

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2434 on: February 17, 2016, 05:34:36 AM »

No. There isn't actually much resemblance there.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2435 on: February 17, 2016, 05:37:30 AM »
So I'll treat them all to sonic ecstasy... BUM. BUM BUM. budududududuududud BUM. BUM BUM BUM.

I was thinking about this. I assume WYTHC is the song he sings publicly in front of Nafaryus? If so, it seems underwhelming to me. I think a different song should have been used to blow Nafaryus away. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the scene.

Offline genome

« Reply #2436 on: February 17, 2016, 05:43:04 AM »
I like the bit in TPTD, before the big riff.

IT'S
NOT
TOO LATE

I
WON'T
BETRAY
HIIIIM

And the sub bass kicks in on the "him". It shakes my house. :laugh:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2437 on: February 17, 2016, 05:44:57 AM »

I was thinking about this. I assume WYTHC is the song he sings publicly in front of Nafaryus? If so, it seems underwhelming to me. I think a different song should have been used to blow Nafaryus away. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the scene.

I think the intention wasn't to 'blow him away' as such. WYTHC works as something to bring out the emotion in Nafaryus ('notably moved by Gabriel’s song') rather than to impress him.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2438 on: February 17, 2016, 06:56:21 AM »

I think the intention wasn't to 'blow him away' as such. WYTHC works as something to bring out the emotion in Nafaryus ('notably moved by Gabriel’s song') rather than to impress him.
Yeah exactly. And it's a really nice song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2439 on: February 17, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
Besides, the people in the story haven't heard anything, except NOMAC stuff.
(Yeah Nafaryus had the iPod when he was a child, but maybe hasn't listened to the stuff that's in it since he was crowned, so the song might even bring back some memories to him from his childhood, moving him even more.)
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2440 on: February 17, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
i've listened to this like... 7 times in total? and i don't think i'm going to be interested enough to come back much more than that. it's a decent album but an exhausting listen that i don't think is quite worth the time it takes to sit through, even if you break it in half

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2441 on: February 17, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »

Mike Portnoy / Nafaryus was more striking.

More dramatic.

More real.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rab7

« Reply #2442 on: February 17, 2016, 09:28:07 AM »
Besides, the people in the story haven't heard anything, except NOMAC stuff.
(Yeah Nafaryus had the iPod when he was a child, but maybe hasn't listened to the stuff that's in it since he was crowned, so the song might even bring back some memories to him from his childhood, moving him even more.)

I had a theory that the entire DT Discography was on that ipod, including The Astonishing, so Nafaryus was definitely reminded of this exact song.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2443 on: February 17, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
Well, but there's no hint whatsoever that it could be the case, and it doesn't make much sense to have an album from the past that talks about what would happen to those characters.

I second mikemangioy's point of view, the point is not When Your Time Has Come vs. today's music, the point is that people never heard any kind of music AT ALL, so the contrast and the emotion was overwhelming.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2445 on: February 17, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »
I second mikemangioy's point of view, the point is not When Your Time Has Come vs. today's music, the point is that people never heard any kind of music AT ALL, so the contrast and the emotion was overwhelming.

While I agree that that notion is portrayed in some parts of the story, I feel the lyrics of TGOM paint a different picture. "People just don't have the time for music any more.
And no one seems to care" is not something you say when people have never heard music. Similarly, it's hard to believe that the while population is unaware of the existence of music when the whole royal household has been growing up with music players and Gabriel randomly finds a functioning (!) guitar.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2446 on: February 17, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »
While I agree that that notion is portrayed in some parts of the story, I feel the lyrics of TGOM paint a different picture. "People just don't have the time for music any more.
And no one seems to care" is not something you say when people have never heard music. Similarly, it's hard to believe that the while population is unaware of the existence of music when the whole royal household has been growing up with music players and Gabriel randomly finds a functioning (!) guitar.

I think that implies that people weren't taking notice of the music and made do with the NOMAC sounds, so they were entranced when it was just Gabriel, with a guitar, singing with no distractions and realised what they were missing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2447 on: February 17, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »

You're looking way too much into that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2448 on: February 17, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
If the internet has taught me anything, it's that virtually all fantasy/science fiction stories have, at least, something resembling a plot hole, as hilariously pointed out by the "How It Should Have Ended" video series on YouTube. That kind of thing doesn't bother me at all anymore. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline CoT67

« Reply #2449 on: February 17, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »

Well he could have just played Dance of Eternity if he wanted to impress him... that is if he could pull it off with a beaten up acoustic and his voice  to imitate the beatbox cover guy  :lol
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.