Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519932 times)

Offline emtee

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2380 on: February 15, 2016, 05:39:35 AM »
Came here to post that this album has now taken over the #1 spot on my list of favorite Dream Theater albums.  I think I'd even call this their Magnum Opus.

Brilliant writing, brilliant musicianship.  Not a single moment across two entire discs that I don't want to hear every time I listen.

5 star album

I know from your posting history you would not say something like that lightly. I still need a few more months to make the same
declaration but I am leaning towards feeling like it might be in the top 3 and I never thought I would feel that way about a new
DT album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: February 15, 2016, 05:45:20 AM »
Meh I enjoy both equally.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2382 on: February 15, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »
Astonishing - the song - has trouble sticking in my memory. I listened to all of Act II one day and paid close attention to Astonishing.

It acts as kind of an overture to close the album. Except it has lyrics. I don't know how operas or musicals work having no interest in either of them -

- but do you have a piece at the end to "sum up" all the themes ?

That's kind of what it does.

If you imagine this as a musical, this is the curtain call song after the rousing ending of Our New World. Basically, this is where the main actors go back to the stage one by one to receive their applause, and then they end with a standing ovation as they sing in chorus.

The Road to Revolution serves an almost similar function. It ends Act 1, having the characters go out one by one to be acknowledged by the audience. The difference is that because it ends Act 1, their lyrics is basically a teaser of what they would do in Act 2.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2383 on: February 15, 2016, 07:08:28 AM »
Astonishing - the song - has trouble sticking in my memory. I listened to all of Act II one day and paid close attention to Astonishing.

It acts as kind of an overture to close the album. Except it has lyrics. I don't know how operas or musicals work having no interest in either of them -

I don't think it's necessarily to sum up all the themes but, if you imagine seeing this on the stage as a musical production with a cast of singers, it brings them all back out for a couple of lines and then they all sing in unison at the end for the finale before taking a bow.  I really think it's an awesome song to end the album, the whole of Act 2 is pretty much perfection in my opinion.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2384 on: February 15, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »
Beat me to it!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2385 on: February 15, 2016, 07:14:08 AM »
:lol

Anyway, if I would do a studio album edit and not structure this as a stage production, I would leave out Road, the Entracte and The Astonishing. Those are the pieces that are purely a stage production choice.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2386 on: February 15, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »

Anyway, if I would do a studio album edit and not structure this as a stage production, I would leave out Road, the Entracte and The Astonishing. Those are the pieces that are purely a stage production choice.

Why Entr'acte 2285? I think the decision to have an overture for both discs can work outside of a stage production.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2387 on: February 15, 2016, 07:22:30 AM »

Why Entr'acte 2285? I think the decision to have an overture for both discs can work outside of a stage production.

I was thinking if this is just one long album, not two discs, which is basically just a physical limitation. Basically three acts marked by NOMACS tracks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2388 on: February 15, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »
Overall I love the album.  There are some highs and lows for sure. One of my highs is Savior in the Square... just frikken LOVE the whole....

Gabriel:
Brother, worry not, today
I will share my music, and they will soon be on their way
They only know the noise machines
So I'll treat them all to sonic ecstasy

This is one of my favorite moments of the entire album.

Came here to post that this album has now taken over the #1 spot on my list of favorite Dream Theater albums.  I think I'd even call this their Magnum Opus.
Brilliant writing, brilliant musicianship.  Not a single moment across two entire discs that I don't want to hear every time I listen.
5 star album

That's heavy, Kirk! It's a great album!! :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2389 on: February 15, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »

An overture is an introduction, so Astonishing is not an overture.

It's basically a reprise of all important themes throughout the whole thing and, in my mind (in the particular case of TA), it's the part where all the cast (including Ahrys-Wan-Kenobi) get together to sing the ending. "PEOPLE CAAAN YOU HEAR US!".
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2390 on: February 15, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
Astonishing also ties up a couple of loose ends in the story. Arhys gives his blessing to Gabriel and Faythe raising his son Xander, Gabriel understands why he was The Chosen One, Nafaryus reflects on his humbling and Daryus is forgiven.

Yes, it does reprise themes, but not just for the sake of it. It fits. As does every single element of this album. Everything that is there is where it's supposed to be, and I couldn't imagine it not being there.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2391 on: February 15, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
Im missing Darius at the ending, should have snipped him in somehow

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2392 on: February 15, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »
Yes, it does reprise themes, but not just for the sake of it. It fits. As does every single element of this album. Everything that is there is where it's supposed to be, and I couldn't imagine it not being there.

Spot on!

Im missing Darius at the ending, should have snipped him in somehow

He doesn't get a point of view but he's still there, Arabelle addresses him. Also, he's the villain so no speaking lines for him!  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2393 on: February 15, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
Anyone else waiting patiently for Nicky Spanjaards to cover a song off The Astonishing?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: February 15, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
Anyone else waiting patiently for Nicky Spanjaards to cover a song off The Astonishing?

:hefdaddy Dystopian Overture

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2395 on: February 15, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »
I was listening to The Path That Divides and during the sword fight, does anyone else hear a whip after Arhys screams?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rab7

« Reply #2396 on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »
Yes, I've been trying to rationalize what that sound is. A whip doesn't make sense, so I imagine Daryus punching Arhys in the face.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2397 on: February 15, 2016, 02:24:35 PM »

:hefdaddy Dystopian Overture
He would knock that one out of the park!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2398 on: February 15, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
I'd kinda like to hear him cover Descent of the NOMACs

Yes, I've been trying to rationalize what that sound is. A whip doesn't make sense, so I imagine Daryus punching Arhys in the face.
I'm gonna go with punch, because that also kinda makes sense in a comic book onomatopoeia sort of way.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: February 15, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »
When I first heard of the idea of this album - I was a bit worried the whole album would have narration a la Ziltoid The Omniscient :lol

Thankfully it doesn't !

Imagine a movie trailer voice.. " Far In The Distant Future.......Beyond the pages......of OUR time. "

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2400 on: February 15, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »

*Sits and waits patiently and quietly*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2401 on: February 15, 2016, 07:38:18 PM »

Who?

Offline rab7

« Reply #2402 on: February 16, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »
My 5-year-old son started singing along to "bow down to Nafaryus" while it was playing in the car.

My life is complete.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #2403 on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:20 AM »
I am still scratching my head about early comments along the lines of "there are no strong melodies."  Everyday I have a different melody stuck in my head.  My kids keep asking me, "why do you sing the same thing over and over"   :D

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2404 on: February 16, 2016, 09:02:03 AM »
So, we've had this album for over 3 weeks now.  Typically after about 2 weeks of listening, I start to back off a bit.  This album, though, is practically on loop.  Every now and then I might jump to something else for a song or two, but then I end up back at the Astonishing.  I really don't want to get burned out so I'm forcing myself to take breaks more and more, but man, so far this album has some serious staying-power.

Wow.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: February 16, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »
Well, I've listened to TA enough to be familiar with all the music and have really enjoyed the process. I definitely got a terrific value for my entertainment dollars. In the context of the album and the story there are some fantastic musical moments that will stay with me for a very long time. I love that the band did something new and different. I think they really achieved a fantastic and unique experience, so for that

:tup

But, now I have almost no desire to listen to it again. It should be interesting to see if at some point I begin to crave hearing it...but I doubt it. This is based on my experience with albums like The Whirlwind that had the same effect on me. Whenever one of the individual Whirlwind tracks come on during shuffle I skip them. I just don't care to listen to them outside of the album experience and sitting down for the entire album experience isn't compelling either.  I suspect TA will be the same way.

We'll see.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2406 on: February 16, 2016, 09:09:36 AM »
So, we've had this album for over 3 weeks now.

I think you mean 2 weeks, unless you're a time traveler, or I suck with dates. I'd say both are equally likely.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2407 on: February 16, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »
So, we've had this album for over 3 weeks now.

I think you mean 2 weeks, unless you're a time traveler, or I suck with dates. I'd say both are equally likely.

Is this a....what day is this?
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline genome

« Reply #2408 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
The album is so good, it ripped a hole in space-time and released itself a week earlier than it when it actually came out.

Offline olddtfan51@gmail.com

« Reply #2409 on: February 16, 2016, 09:30:07 AM »
I can finally say it without a doubt this is a master work. :metal :tup :hefdaddy

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2410 on: February 16, 2016, 10:21:30 AM »
My 5-year-old son started singing along to "bow down to Nafaryus" while it was playing in the car.

My life is complete.
That is absolutely amazing.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2411 on: February 16, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
My 15 month old daughter headbangs to the start of Dystopian Overture with a massive grin on her face.   Every time!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2412 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:02 AM »
My 15 month old daughter headbangs to the start of Dystopian Overture with a massive grin on her face.   Every time!

Can you please get this on video?!

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: February 16, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »
At this point, i can say that this hold a special place in my mind and ears now.
This is a very different album from what they've done before, and from how this guys used to play and sound in the '90s , still it reminds me of a lot of really cool moments they could evoke with their music on those years.

To me, this is on par with their bests.

Once again, thanks Dt.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2414 on: February 16, 2016, 10:39:45 AM »

Who?