Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519427 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2345 on: February 13, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »
What ONW adds to the story isn't immediately obvious just from listening, but it's Gabriel and Faythe promising to raise young Xander and build a better future, in memory of both his parents.

I guess I skewed this Arhys ghost quote:

"He is just a child and still too young to understand.
Show him love and courage, that freedom knows no bounds.
Tell him he could never let me down."

as meaning that but trust me, even though it's my least favourite song on the album, I would definitely not get rid of it.

Another point I keep thinking of: The Road to Revolution, in concept, reminds me in some ways of the Tonight Quintet from West Side Story. Sudden scene changes with the different characters looking ahead in anticipation of the pivotal events to come later that night. Then at the end, everyone comes together (albeit still in their separate locations) to sing the closing lines.

It really is a great way to close the first Act. There's definitely a feeling of anticipation and tension in TRTR.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2346 on: February 13, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
Last night I had one of the most hilarious coincidences I've ever experienced: I was poking around the internet on a kindle, listening to bits and pieces of The Astonishing to become more familiar with it. At the same time I had the TV on what I am pretty sure was the FXX channel, and it was airing an episode of The Simpsons. It was one of those episodes where they had to relocate to another town for one reason or another, and when one of this place's officials or whatever he was noticed that Lisa had her saxophone with her, Homer responded by saying "my daughter has brought you the gift of music!"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:03:16 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: February 13, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »
The Springfield Militia.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2348 on: February 13, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »
Awesome coincidence!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2349 on: February 13, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »
That is totally awesome. :rollin

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2350 on: February 13, 2016, 04:42:41 PM »
I just realized what this album kind of reminds me of: to me it sounds vary similar to the soundtrack of the movie Ladyhawke. Very similar to the way Andrew Powell and Alan Parsons used the combination of modern (rock music) instruments and musicians combined with the orchestra and choir. In fact the whole thing has a kind of "Alan Parsons Project vibe" to it. Although there are differences of course, such as that there are actual songs with lyrics, there's a lot more guitar, and most of the music is heavier in general. But if you listen to pretty much any APP album, not just the LH soundtrack, I think you'll see what I mean.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #2351 on: February 13, 2016, 05:32:26 PM »
Another point I keep thinking of: The Road to Revolution, in concept, reminds me in some ways of the Tonight Quintet from West Side Story. Sudden scene changes with the different characters looking ahead in anticipation of the pivotal events to come later that night. Then at the end, everyone comes together (albeit still in their separate locations) to sing the closing lines.

It really is a great way to close the first Act. There's definitely a feeling of anticipation and tension in TRTR.

Really? TRtR stands as one of the 5 worst tracks IMO… not only melodically speaking, but it feels like it's there just to sum up the plot up to that point (I don't feel like that's really necessary). Also, removing it would make A New Beginning's fade out solo make much more sense not only as the ending of an act, but also as the last thing before the mid-show break.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:28:49 AM by TH1RT3EN »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2352 on: February 13, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
I like The Road to Revolution, but it might be the biggest tease in the DT catalogue to date.  When you think of how many songs they have where you think, "that could have been a little shorter," that is one that needed to be longer, like 5 1/2 minutes instead of 3 1/2 minutes.  Only singing that chorus once was a crime.  I know they reprise it in the final track on the record, but the song itself is just such a tease.

Offline The Fink

« Reply #2353 on: February 13, 2016, 09:29:44 PM »
I am completely blown away by The Astonishing and i cannot stop listening to it. First time i listened to it i listened in its entirety and completely took it in and understood the story. I love DT my favorite band since 1992 but i am disappointed by the critical nature of many of DT's fans. I just cannot comprehend comparing any new DT release to that of previous albums kinda defeats the purpose of buying anything new by them. How and why could anyone want them to repeat anything they've ever done. Approaching the first time listening experience of a DT record expecting to hear something they've already done of course it won't measure up. Any new album has to be listened with fresh ears free from influence of any other record they have produced. The Astonishing is Amazing! No comparison needed. It stands alone and is the most Beautiful recording they have ever produced. I wept all through my first listening and i knew it was special. I have my headphones on right now listening as i type this and Act of Faythe is playing. This album begs to be listened with your special someone, your lover and i am singular on this night. What a great Valentines experience it would be to listen to this with your woman. I long to share this with a new love. If this post is as cheesey as some think The Astonishing is i am not ashamed. Amazingly beautiful record with moments of hard rocking technical complexity.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #2354 on: February 13, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »
As much as I appreciate James being able to go to town on the material, I still think a female singer would have enriched the album immensely. Especially for the weeping intro of Losing Faythe, where clearly a guy is trying to sound like a woman.

I keep thinking about this.  If it were done right, this would have been so original, so incredibly dynamic, so utterly unexpected that I think it would have pushed this album into the stratosphere. I think it could have resulted in one of the best albums of all time (please excuse the hyperbole).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2355 on: February 13, 2016, 10:30:51 PM »
I am completely blown away by The Astonishing and i cannot stop listening to it. First time i listened to it i listened in its entirety and completely took it in and understood the story. I love DT my favorite band since 1992 but i am disappointed by the critical nature of many of DT's fans. I just cannot comprehend comparing any new DT release to that of previous albums kinda defeats the purpose of buying anything new by them. How and why could anyone want them to repeat anything they've ever done. Approaching the first time listening experience of a DT record expecting to hear something they've already done of course it won't measure up. Any new album has to be listened with fresh ears free from influence of any other record they have produced. The Astonishing is Amazing! No comparison needed. It stands alone and is the most Beautiful recording they have ever produced. I wept all through my first listening and i knew it was special. I have my headphones on right now listening as i type this and Act of Faythe is playing. This album begs to be listened with your special someone, your lover and i am singular on this night. What a great Valentines experience it would be to listen to this with your woman. I long to share this with a new love. If this post is as cheesey as some think The Astonishing is i am not ashamed. Amazingly beautiful record with moments of hard rocking technical complexity.
Great post, and welcome to DT forums. I agree with everything you said!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:54 PM »
The Fink you have said a lot of things about this album that I feel but didn't express that openly before, cheers bro!
And I hope someday you'd listen to the album when you're plural  ;D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MadImmortalMan

« Reply #2357 on: February 14, 2016, 01:45:00 AM »
Saying Our New World doesn't add anything to the plot of TA is like saying The Spirit Carries On doesn't add anything to the plot of SFAM. It's not meant to advance the plot, it's supposed to draw out the emotions of what the characters are feeling, and make the situation real and relatable to the listener. Virtually every musical/rock opera/concept album has songs like these. "Gethsemane", "Eyes of a Stranger", "Nobody Home", etc... all serve the same purpose.
There's no time for a conscience And we recognize no crime Yeah we've got dogs and Valvoline It's a pretty damn good time

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2358 on: February 14, 2016, 02:27:20 AM »
Our New World is important for showing Gabriel and Faythe's commitment to creating a better world and raising Xander, and showing hope.

And also it's an awesome song, which is all the validation it needs to be there.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: February 14, 2016, 02:28:57 AM »
The Answer coulda been a smidge longer too :p

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: February 14, 2016, 02:41:39 AM »
Sooo...Apart from there being no music...Is there anything else about the story that is oppressive ?

Because just having no music would hardly be " a struggle to survive "...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2361 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:42 AM »
Sooo...Apart from there being no music...Is there anything else about the story that is oppressive ?

Because just having no music would hardly be " a struggle to survive "...

It's a metaphor. Not being able to make music to me means not being able to express one's self. Not being able to exercise creativity. Which is oppressive.

Offline thosava

« Reply #2362 on: February 14, 2016, 03:09:06 AM »
And faythe is observing: "I never knew they spent their days in rags", implying that the people are very poor.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2363 on: February 14, 2016, 03:22:04 AM »
And faythe is observing: "I never knew they spent their days in rags", implying that the people are very poor.
This. It's pretty classic dystopian setting - rich, powerful leadership living in luxury while the rest toil away just to survive.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: February 14, 2016, 03:25:27 AM »
This. It's pretty classic dystopian setting - rich, powerful leadership living in luxury while the rest toil away just to survive.

Incidentally just like the movie Metropolis, from 1927 (oh so close). METROPOLIS PART 3 CONFIRMED.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2365 on: February 14, 2016, 03:47:59 AM »
Whenever I hear "The Road to Revolution", I have to think of "La Resistance" form the South Park film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LonKGuS9uuQ

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2366 on: February 14, 2016, 05:56:12 AM »
Came here to post that this album has now taken over the #1 spot on my list of favorite Dream Theater albums.  I think I'd even call this their Magnum Opus.

Brilliant writing, brilliant musicianship.  Not a single moment across two entire discs that I don't want to hear every time I listen.

5 star album

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2367 on: February 14, 2016, 06:08:22 AM »

Incidentally just like the movie Metropolis, from 1927 (oh so close). METROPOLIS PART 3 CONFIRMED.

OMGWTF INTRAWEBZZZZ NUGGETSZZZ 5/8 8/5 GABRIELZZ IS VICTORIA

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: February 14, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »
Overall I love the album.  There are some highs and lows for sure. One of my highs is Savior in the Square... just frikken LOVE the whole....

Nafaryus:
"Please don't stop on my account,
Show us what we heard so much about?
In peace, we gather here today."

Daryus:
Don't make him ask again
Do as my father says!

Gabriel:
Brother, worry not, today
I will share my music, and they will soon be on their way
They only know the noise machines
So I'll treat them all to sonic ecstasy

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

To me, when you can completely visualize a scene in your mind, the artist has succeeded  :tup

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #2369 on: February 14, 2016, 07:25:02 AM »
Overall I love the album.  There are some highs and lows for sure. One of my highs is Savior in the Square... just frikken LOVE the whole....

Nafaryus:
"Please don't stop on my account,
Show us what we heard so much about?

Arhys:
In peace, we gather here today."

Daryus:
Don't make him ask again
Do as my father says!

Gabriel:
Brother, worry not, today
I will share my music, and they will soon be on their way
They only know the noise machines
So I'll treat them all to sonic ecstasy

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

To me, when you can completely visualize a scene in your mind, the artist has succeeded  :tup

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2370 on: February 14, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
Came here to post that this album has now taken over the #1 spot on my list of favorite Dream Theater albums.  I think I'd even call this their Magnum Opus.

Brilliant writing, brilliant musicianship.  Not a single moment across two entire discs that I don't want to hear every time I listen.

5 star album

Never argue with Captain Kirk!

Offline Hypnotoad

« Reply #2371 on: February 14, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »

5 star album

Completely agree. I have been listening to TA solidly since it came out and I think I can now honestly say that this is without doubt my favourite Dream Theater album. Not only that but I now believe I will hold this album in the same regard as I hold Animals, Wish You Were Here, Selling England By The Pound and the like. I just finished listening to the title track, which I know some have said is a bit of an anti-climax, but it's just hit me really hard. What a stunning end to a classic album. So looking forward to Thursday at the Palladium.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2372 on: February 14, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »

5 star album

Completely agree. I have been listening to TA solidly since it came out and I think I can now honestly say that this is without doubt my favourite Dream Theater album. Not only that but I now believe I will hold this album in the same regard as I hold Animals, Wish You Were Here, Selling England By The Pound and the like. I just finished listening to the title track, which I know some have said is a bit of an anti-climax, but it's just hit me really hard. What a stunning end to a classic album. So looking forward to Thursday at the Palladium.

Spot on.  It's a masterpiece.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline gm5k

« Reply #2373 on: February 14, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »
This album keeps getting better the more I listen to it.  "A Life Left Behind" through "A New Beginning" is such a ridiculously good run of music  :omg:  I'm certain now this album will keep it's place on my favorites as the best since SFAM and easily on par with all of their 90's stuff. 

I agree with what someone said earlier that the album really starts to get special at ALLB and never really lets up, or at least not for very long if it does.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2374 on: February 14, 2016, 07:12:43 PM »
I had to listen to this album a whole lot of times for most of it to really click, but a majority of the album has finally clicked and I really enjoy most of it.

The only major thing I really just don't like is the story. I think it's silly and the lyrics are really distracting. However, as a fan of Ayreon, Rhapsody and Stratovarius, I can ignore the lyrics/story.

I wish the guitar solos were a bit more diverse, though each solo is quite lovely, they all kind of blur together to me.

JR really shines on this album.

MM does a passable job. Very few moments where I notice him really, but he doesn't detract at all. Actually, there's only one drum part that really bothers me, and that is the swing part right before the blast beat. I wish he had just gone full swing drums rather than doing a big snare thing instead. Feels like a missed opportunity.

All in all, immense album with some flaws that I can quickly look past.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2375 on: February 14, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »
What a stunning end to a classic album. So looking forward to Thursday at the Palladium.

I forgot! The tour starts this week! is about to start!
Lucky you, enjoy the show.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2376 on: February 14, 2016, 10:40:50 PM »
Hope someone gets a good quality bootleg of one of the shows.  I hate having to struggle to hear a band through echoes and talking.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2377 on: February 15, 2016, 05:16:17 AM »
I have seen some comments about Act 2 not living up to Act 1.

I initially felt the same way, but then I thought it might be because I was listening to the whole thing, and frankly, after listening to Act 1, listening to Act 2 is a bit of a chore.

So this past week, I just listened to Act 2 over and over again.  And I can tell, it is fucking awesome.  Pretty sure I like it better than Act 1 now. 

Act 1 seems a little more melody-based to me, but Act 2 features some kick-ass songs.  2285 Entr'acte is a great intstrumental, and Moment of Betrayal is great, of course.  The Path That Divides is a killer, killer song; it seems the most "regular DT" song to me, and could have been on any other DT album, and I think it will come off insane in a live situation.  The Walking Shadow/My Last Farewell are two fantastic songs back-to-back, each incidentally featuring awesome JR synth solos.  And then from Hymn of a Thousand Voices all the way through to Astonishing is just glorious.

I also like, after listening to Astonishing, letting it cycle through to listen to 2285 Entr'acte again.  Just fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: February 15, 2016, 05:21:05 AM »
Astonishing - the song - has trouble sticking in my memory. I listened to all of Act II one day and paid close attention to Astonishing.

It acts as kind of an overture to close the album. Except it has lyrics. I don't know how operas or musicals work having no interest in either of them -

- but do you have a piece at the end to "sum up" all the themes ?

That's kind of what it does.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: February 15, 2016, 05:38:16 AM »
I've basically written off Act II at this point. Still digging most of Act I though. So strange to have such a divide for the most part.