Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519309 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2240 on: February 11, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Where are all of the reasonable people in between the two ridiculous extremes?

Which extremes would that be?

IF I am reading this right (it's damn hard to tell), it looks like there are people on the internet that are butthurt that there isn't enough metal on this.  As demonstrated, there are an equal amount of people here at the other end, who are butthurt at the metal butthurt folks, saying they've transcended metal in some fashion.

Paraphrasing on my part.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2241 on: February 11, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »
I thought the concept of extremes was self explanatory. Kotowboy got it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2242 on: February 11, 2016, 07:13:03 AM »
Ohhh you guys. :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2243 on: February 11, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »
With my luck, I just got my copy today and am listening to it for the first time ever as I am typing this!! So far so good!!  :metal

Speaking of the new DT album, you wouldn't believe my luck!! So I went to this cd shop first day it came out, and they've got a copy of the disc... cool, right? So as soon as I grabbed it, I noticed some rattling sound coming from within as I was carrying it. I asked the shop to open it for me to check what's wrong before I decide whether to buy that copy. One of the discs came loose, and it was actually scratched!! Guess what? That's the ONLY copy they have!! And I haven't a chance to look elsewhere until today!!  :facepalm:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2244 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:02 AM »

It is. But your term "reasonable" is contradictory to the extremes. Why can't it be reasonable that some people hate it or love it? The opinions here are not a microcosm of the actual responses to the CD. Besides, from what I've read there have been plenty of reasonable reactions to the new CD.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:54:05 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: February 11, 2016, 07:49:48 AM »
DT posted a video on fb of them answering fan questions, I haven't seen the video yet cause I'm at work but where are they getting these questions from?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2246 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
Psychic connections.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »
Been reading DT facebook page for the first time in weeks, i have to say that the level of criticism is pretty high, even for Dt standards.
Expected as it was for this kind of album, maybe more than the sold copies of the album, the success, or failure, of the tour will say us more about the future of the band.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2248 on: February 11, 2016, 09:16:04 AM »

:hifive:

The Internet. Home of hyperbole ! No grey area allowed !

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2249 on: February 11, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
https://www.metalwani.com/2016/02/interview-dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-on-the-astonishing.html#comments

Jordan: "I'm so proud of this...anybody who comes and says it's not metal enough, you know what? That's fine, you can go listen to some other band that has driving metal the whole time...I feel like this is the next level of Dream Theater where the band has matured to a point where we can just make music."

Amen brother!  I have been waiting so long for DT to get to this point, they are just too talented not to. I sincerely hope they continue along these lines. If it's not metal enough for you, then there's plenty of other bands to bang your head to.

:tup :tup to JR's comment.  He is basically saying in a nice way, "Upset there's not enough metal?  Go cry about it somewhere else."  And I totally agree with him.  DT has 12 other studio albums, almost all of which have quite a bit of metal.  If you want metal, go listen to those and stop crying that TA isn't something you want it to be, rather than what it is. /end rant :P
There's a decent amount of heavy parts on this album and JP is using his 7 string quite a bit.

Just off the top of my head, these songs on TA definitely have a metal vibe in some places: The Gift of Music, Lord Nafaryus, Three Days, A Tempting Offer, A New Beginning, Moment of Betrayal, Heaven's Cove, The Path That Divides, The Walking Shadow, and My Last Farewell.

Hell, you could stick The Path That Divides on Train of Thought and Moment of Betrayal on DT12 and they'd fit.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: February 11, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
I think 2285 Entr'acte is modeled after The Last Few Bricks.
For non-Floyd fans; The Last Few Bricks is an instrumental piece that Pink Floyd performed on The Wall shows, it -among other tracks- was not on the studio version of the album, but was released on the live album.
Roger Waters said later that they wrote the song to give the stage hands more time to finalize the building of the wall on stage before they get to the song Goodbye Cruel World, which in the album's story line completes the psychological barrier the lead character has been building around himself for isolation and alienation from society, it ends the first CD of the double album.
The Last Few Bricks compiles musical themes from the first CD.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2251 on: February 11, 2016, 10:21:30 AM »
First two listens of A Life Left Behind: that intro kinda sounds like Porcupine Tree.
Third listen: wow the whole song sounds like Porcupine Tree!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #2252 on: February 11, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »
The fact that there is less heavy stuff on the album makes the heavy stuff that there is stand out more.  So much better when it isn't overkill.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2253 on: February 11, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
Does anyone remember in around December people were (for some reason) questioning whether the album would be released before the tour kicks off. Definitely there was talk on the Facebook group about it as well.

Could you imagine first time listening to this live before hearing the CD? How much would fly over your head? I've listened to this nearly every day and am still finding recurring themes and tidbits.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2254 on: February 11, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
The fact that there is less heavy stuff on the album makes the heavy stuff that there is stand out more.  So much better when it isn't overkill.

Exactly what Mangini said in his Facebook post earlier this week. Can't wait 1 week to the show  :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2255 on: February 11, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
Been reading DT facebook page for the first time in weeks, i have to say that the level of criticism is pretty high, even for Dt standards.
Expected as it was for this kind of album, maybe more than the sold copies of the album, the success, or failure, of the tour will say us more about the future of the band.

What a bunch of boorish douches, after the amount of work the band put into this. Talk about not getting the concept. They were intentionally going for a symphonic rock opera. The critics must have been living under a rock if they expected a full-on metal onslaught.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2256 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »

Exactly and totally this! Said from a metalhead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2257 on: February 11, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
IT'S NOT TOO LATE

I WON'T BETRAY HIIIIM

*PUNKASS RIFF*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: February 11, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
I hate djent but I like the djent-ish riff in My Last Farewell.   2:50

In fact I put on Begin Again today and couldn't stop listening until the end of the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2259 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »

Exactly and totally this! Said from a metalhead.

I said the same thing too.  Like when they do decide to start shredding - it really stands out as a highlight.

130 mins of solo trade offs would be tedious.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2260 on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »
IT'S NOT TOO LATE

I WON'T BETRAY HIIIIM

*PUNKASS RIFF*

This reminds me, does anyone know what the choir says during this time?

All I could pick up was "Daryus. Arhys. ?????. Pray for your Life?"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2261 on: February 11, 2016, 12:38:07 PM »
IT'S NOT TOO LATE

I WON'T BETRAY HIIIIM

*PUNKASS RIFF*

This reminds me, does anyone know what the choir says during this time?

All I could pick up was "Daryus. Arhys. ?????. Pray for your Life?"

I picked up 'RAAAAW DOOG'
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline YOWspotter

« Reply #2262 on: February 11, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
https://www.metalwani.com/2016/02/interview-dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-on-the-astonishing.html#comments

Jordan: "I'm so proud of this...anybody who comes and says it's not metal enough, you know what? That's fine, you can go listen to some other band that has driving metal the whole time...I feel like this is the next level of Dream Theater where the band has matured to a point where we can just make music."
Disappointing commentary right there by JR, but I'm unsurprised that it's coming from him.

I don't think any reasonable dissenter has suggested that this record isn't a great accomplishment, and one that they shouldn't be proud of.  Nor do I think that any reasonable dissenter has suggested that the band compose "driving metal the whole time".

His comments make it seem like he's unable to filter away mindless criticisms of haters who seem to expect DT to be Slayer 2.0.  Guess what?  There's a component of DT fans who were and are attracted to the band's metal influences.  That doesn't mean we expect balls-to-the-wall shredding for 80 minutes ...

In this one statement he basically gives us the one-finger salute, telling us that we should go elsewhere to fulfil that need because they've matured beyond our tastes.  I guess there's no room left on the wagon for us anymore?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2263 on: February 11, 2016, 01:00:35 PM »
Well, you are definitely reading more into what he said than, well, what he said.

I would also just like to report that The Path That Divides rocks my face.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YOWspotter

« Reply #2264 on: February 11, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
Well, you are definitely reading more into what he said than, well, what he said.

I agree about The Path, and I quoted that one as a standout on TA for me in an earlier post.  I'd suggest that this track contains the elements of "metal" that DT gives us that we like, while remaining unquestionably DT.

Just checking to make sure I'm still allowed to like that style of DT and request (dare I say expect) more of that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2265 on: February 11, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
You're allowed to do anything you like.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2266 on: February 11, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
*relieves himself on floor of the thread*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2267 on: February 11, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »

Bet you say that to all the prog bands.

When haven't people figured out that DT is more than just metal?  It's only been like this forever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2268 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »

That's a disturbing vision.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2269 on: February 11, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »

Disappointing commentary right there by JR, but I'm unsurprised that it's coming from him.

I don't think any reasonable dissenter has suggested that this record isn't a great accomplishment, and one that they shouldn't be proud of.  Nor do I think that any reasonable dissenter has suggested that the band compose "driving metal the whole time".

His comments make it seem like he's unable to filter away mindless criticisms of haters who seem to expect DT to be Slayer 2.0.  Guess what?  There's a component of DT fans who were and are attracted to the band's metal influences.  That doesn't mean we expect balls-to-the-wall shredding for 80 minutes ...

In this one statement he basically gives us the one-finger salute, telling us that we should go elsewhere to fulfil that need because they've matured beyond our tastes.  I guess there's no room left on the wagon for us anymore?

His post was spot on, given that it was directly in response to people literally saying that The Astonishing is not metal enough, and many of them doing so in a very disrespectful way.  If you cannot distinguish between those kinds of posts, on one hand, vs. those respectfully saying they are attracted to DT's more metal side, then the fact that you completely missed Jordan's point is on you rather than him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: February 11, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
I actually like that response by JR, "Oh you don't think it's metal enough, that's fine, there are other metal bands for you to listen too"  FUCK YEA. 

The album is definitely more soft than any other DT album, but there is still a shit ton of heavy metal in this.  The music is beautiful and tasteful and is part of the story.  What kind of story is all out balls to the wall metal?  Most other concept albums and rock operas have a large "soft" side to them because it's part of the mood of telling the story.

This is coming from a metal fan, someone who got into DT because of the heaviness, but it is their melody that really keeps me into them.  The melodies are awesome on this album, my biggest problem with the album is that some of the best melodies aren't repeated.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2271 on: February 11, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »

He didn't give anyone the one-finger salute, you're just seeing what you want to see.

Dream Theater has released previously full-on metal albums that are meant to please people of your tastes (I presume), like Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos, so why couldn't they release something this time around that was more grounded on the band's softer side? After 13 albums, they've done and recorded A HELL LOT of music, so there's something for everyone in those 9+ hours of music the band has put out. I agree with JR in his statement, because this album feels really mature and really sincere; they wanted to write a musical, and they wrote a musical without worrying too much on what would people think, and that risk is what has made Dream Theater successful in the past.

If you're not comfortable with change and progression, you can always check out Megadeth's Dystopia new album. Plenty of riffs there, just like the ones they have been playing for 20+ years.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rab7

« Reply #2272 on: February 11, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
A HELL LOT
Sounds like a Parking Lot where every time you find an empty space, a car gets there before you.

If you're not comfortable with change and progression, you can always check out Megadeth's Dystopia new album.

I would also recommend Symphony X's Underworld, which came out a few months ago. I didn't really like the fact that they've gone super heavy for their past 2 albums, but now that The Astonishing is out, I realize its a perfect complement if I'm craving the really heavy stuff.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2273 on: February 11, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
The album is definitely more soft than any other DT album, but there is still a shit ton of heavy metal in this.  The music is beautiful and tasteful and is part of the story.  What kind of story is all out balls to the wall metal?  Most other concept albums and rock operas have a large "soft" side to them because it's part of the mood of telling the story.

Isn't FII a bit softer? Sure, there's NM, PS, BMS, LitS and JLMB which are quite heavy, though more in a rock way than a metal way. TA has Three Days, A Tempting Offer, Moment of Betrayal, The Path That Divides and The Walking Shadow / My Last Farewell that are definitely driven by a metallic heaviness, among quite a few other songs like A Better Life, Lord Nafaryus, Ravenskill and A New Beginning which have prominent heavy sections. It might be pretty close, actually. I'm not really sure about it.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2274 on: February 11, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
A HELL LOT
Sounds like a Parking Lot where every time you find an empty space, a car gets there before you.
or one where the best spot is always reserved by a cone.