Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519262 times)

Offline rab7

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2205 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »

For sure it's not that often, but still more than any other I think.

Off the top of my head, I think the "Faythe/Love" theme has the most:

Dystopian Overture (French Horns)
Lord Nafaryus ("Arabelle who means the world to me")
Savior in the Square ("Never in my life did I deserve")
Act of Faythe
Road to Revolution ("I know when there is faith there's always hope")

This isn't including the parts where it's briefly quoted like in 2285 Entr'acte,The Walking Shadow, and Astonishing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2206 on: February 10, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »
Great point. Though that's also not one of my favourites, so I stand by my original point. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2208 on: February 10, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »
legit don't get why ravenskill is getting so much love, i find it one of the least interesting tracks on the first disc

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2209 on: February 10, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »
Bad opinion zone
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2210 on: February 10, 2016, 05:47:43 PM »
legit don't get why ravenskill is getting so much love, i find it one of the least interesting tracks on the first disc

As always you are totally wrong.  :loser:

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #2211 on: February 10, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »
Why do you guys keep saying that?
Parama has his own opinions and such, but you guys say that he is wrong. Why??

I mean, Black Clouds is my favorite Dream Theater album. For you guys it may be wrong, but for me, it isn't. What about people who dislike Ravenskill and thinks its uninteresting. Is that "wrong" or is that a "bad" opinion, simply because their tastes are different?
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2212 on: February 10, 2016, 06:18:55 PM »
I more or less see it as harmless fun. It's kind of a thing that me and Parama more or less never agree on anything, so I don't see anything wrong with making a little fun out it.  :justjen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2213 on: February 10, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »
I have listened to it every day since release.   

I can't say I've listened to all of it every day, but I have listened to some of it every day since its release.  It's an addictive record anyway, and it's so long that there are still songs that sound pretty new to me since I have listened to some way more than others.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #2214 on: February 10, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
I more or less see it as harmless fun. It's kind of a thing that me and Parama more or less never agree on anything, so I don't see anything wrong with making a little fun out it.  :justjen

Oh I see.
Sorry if I sounded so judgmental. I didn't mean to say it like that.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2215 on: February 10, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »

I mean, Black Clouds is my favorite Dream Theater album. For you guys it may be wrong, but for me, it isn't. What about people who dislike Ravenskill and thinks its uninteresting. Is that "wrong" or is that a "bad" opinion, simply because their tastes are different?

don't worry, not all of us see music as having objective quality. there is no 'bad' or 'good'
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #2216 on: February 10, 2016, 06:55:36 PM »

don't worry, not all of us see music as having objective quality. there is no 'bad' or 'good'

True, true. Thanks!

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: February 10, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
:3

So you listened to the album once in the last week. :lol Plus 2 songs again presumably. Which ones were they?

can I get some love now

Offline MA2SWAWIDWJ

« Reply #2218 on: February 10, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »
So far, there are several tracks I love, but the rest just blur together, and so far I don't really like Act II at all.
The high points on this album are way up there, and reminds of the type of writing they haven't done since SFAM/SDOIT, and are easily the best I've heard in the MM era, but there are too many misses for me at this point, and too many songs that felt like they started the same. Three Days is classic DT, and the kind of thing I've been itching to hear for a long time. Hits the spot goooood. I've already listened to it more than anything from ADTOE and DT12 combined.

Let's see how I feel after a few more listens though. :)

I think that the quintessential DT sound we have been looking for is in MOB and TPTD im not just picking those because they are heavy they just feel so DT to me....that being said....CHOSEN was the first song that i had to listen to again and again. Ive got the whole album memorized at this point though and this albums compilation is already stuck in my head all day every day. My gf gave me that "REALLY?" Look while we were doing ....."extracurricular activities" and i was humming road to revolution.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #2219 on: February 10, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
https://www.metalwani.com/2016/02/interview-dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-on-the-astonishing.html#comments

Jordan: "I'm so proud of this...anybody who comes and says it's not metal enough, you know what? That's fine, you can go listen to some other band that has driving metal the whole time...I feel like this is the next level of Dream Theater where the band has matured to a point where we can just make music."

Amen brother!  I have been waiting so long for DT to get to this point, they are just too talented not to. I sincerely hope they continue along these lines. If it's not metal enough for you, then there's plenty of other bands to bang your head to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2220 on: February 10, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »
https://www.metalwani.com/2016/02/interview-dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-on-the-astonishing.html#comments

Jordan: "I'm so proud of this...anybody who comes and says it's not metal enough, you know what? That's fine, you can go listen to some other band that has driving metal the whole time...I feel like this is the next level of Dream Theater where the band has matured to a point where we can just make music."

Amen brother!  I have been waiting so long for DT to get to this point, they are just too talented not to. I sincerely hope they continue along these lines. If it's not metal enough for you, then there's plenty of other bands to bang your head to.

:tup :tup to JR's comment.  He is basically saying in a nice way, "Upset there's not enough metal?  Go cry about it somewhere else."  And I totally agree with him.  DT has 12 other studio albums, almost all of which have quite a bit of metal.  If you want metal, go listen to those and stop crying that TA isn't something you want it to be, rather than what it is. /end rant :P

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2221 on: February 10, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »
This makes me so happy.
I hope they continue this trend.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2222 on: February 10, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »

This reminds me of the Slayer analogy.  Also they have plenty of metal in older albums.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2223 on: February 10, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »

Are they... out of the preconceived box now?  :o  :hefdaddy
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2224 on: February 10, 2016, 09:38:21 PM »
I want a karaoke version of Chosen and I will sing it to my wife!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2225 on: February 11, 2016, 02:12:01 AM »
That intro to 'A life left behind' are you f'in' kidding me???  :metal
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:46:48 AM by Cyclopssss »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2226 on: February 11, 2016, 03:47:49 AM »
And yeah, absolutely gorgeous Evangeline theme almost isn't featured at all.

Based on new insight from Jordan Rudess, I think A Better Life shares at least one theme with The X Aspect. Inverted. Those bastards :lol
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: February 11, 2016, 05:21:46 AM »

This reminds me of the Slayer analogy.  Also they have plenty of metal in older albums.

All of the above.

It's their 13th album. For goondess sake. They can do something different.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: February 11, 2016, 06:01:01 AM »
 :facepalm: the outright hatred for this album elsewhere on the web is ludicrous.

" it's not heavy...it's bland and boring...i didn't think they could make a shitter album than Systematic chaos.....20 minutes of good music at best......not one good song ".

Yes this was on a metal forum.  No surprises there.

NO METAL ? TEH SUK :angry:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2229 on: February 11, 2016, 06:10:01 AM »
Where are all of the reasonable people in between the two ridiculous extremes?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2230 on: February 11, 2016, 06:10:18 AM »
Not at Metallica forums ^
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: February 11, 2016, 06:12:02 AM »
Nor DTF. :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:59 AM »

Not on the internet.

Where everything is either " OMFH AMAZOING WTFFF SO G~OOD "

or

" WORST ALBUM EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC "

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: February 11, 2016, 06:22:55 AM »

Not on the internet.

Where everything is either " OMFH AMAZOING WTFFF SO G~OOD "

or

" WORST ALBUM EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC "

And I'm getting sick of hearing both about TA, and hearing each side bitch about the other side. :lol

I should time travel to half a year into the future, when we can get back to arguing about hairstyles and polls about which album title font is the best. :P

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2234 on: February 11, 2016, 06:29:11 AM »
STOP DISLIKING WHAT I LIKE ZOMG.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: February 11, 2016, 06:30:50 AM »
Why don't you guys go find a different bowl of cereal to piss in? Spoil sports.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: February 11, 2016, 06:32:44 AM »
Who you talking to?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2237 on: February 11, 2016, 06:37:19 AM »
Why don't you guys go find a different bowl of cereal to piss shit in? Spoil sports.

It's like you're new here or something.  At least get the cereal reference right!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2238 on: February 11, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
I don't see this album as being received any differently than all the others. It's usually 1/3 love, 1/3 like, 1/3 dislike.
Seems the same now.

Personally if they decide to slowly move away from the metal I'm cool with it. I've got their discography to revisit any time
and thousands of other metal albums to scratch that itch. I vote for staying outside their comfort zone from here on out
and being more experimental. Or better said, creating whatever they feel like creating and not feeling boxed in or pressured
by the fans.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2239 on: February 11, 2016, 07:01:42 AM »

Which extremes would that be?