Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519893 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2170 on: February 10, 2016, 05:27:22 AM »
About 10 listens in now . . . I NEVER thought anything would ever top Images and Words, but this is becoming my favorite album of all time. I'm speechless as to how good James is. That run of songs on the 2nd half of disc 1 is insanely good.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2171 on: February 10, 2016, 05:52:45 AM »
At this point I don't think it's too soon to call this thing a true masterpiece.   
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2172 on: February 10, 2016, 05:56:05 AM »
I think it is.

Too soon, that is, not the masterpiece bit.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #2173 on: February 10, 2016, 06:46:14 AM »
I'm not going to temper my enthusiasm due to today's date. This is a great album and only gets better with each listen. I pretty much love it all now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: February 10, 2016, 06:47:20 AM »
I think this could be their best album...

We'll have to see how well it holds up over time.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #2175 on: February 10, 2016, 06:48:42 AM »
It's LaBrie's best album.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2176 on: February 10, 2016, 07:06:10 AM »
It's 100% definitely the best produced of the last 3.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2177 on: February 10, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »

Not that that means much. The two before it were easily among DT's worst sounding albums. I really like the production on TA though. By far their best of the RR era.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: February 10, 2016, 07:34:15 AM »

Not that that means much. The two before it were easily among DT's worst sounding albums. I really like the production on TA though. By far their best of the RR era.

Yes. if we're doing a really specific ranking : :lol

Production of the RoadRunner albums :

1. The Astonishing
2. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
3. Systematic Chaos
4. A Dramatic Turn of Events
5. DT12

Although I don't mind the sound of Dramatic Turn. It's just a bit demoey sounding and the drum mix is too quiet.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2179 on: February 10, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »

For me, there's one specific sign that shows I like the production on an album: When I don't think about the production at all.

I listened to the whole album without thinking things like "MM is too mechanical" or "JM isn't loud enough" or "JP is too loud". Everything is balanced, easy on the ears but still powerful.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2180 on: February 10, 2016, 07:39:39 AM »
JP's solo production efforts are getting better each time. As long as they don't go backwards and do another brickwalled effort like DT12 - Rich Chycki could continue to be their engineer and

almost co-producer. He seems to be able to get a good performance out of LaBrie.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2181 on: February 10, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »

Yes. if we're doing a really specific ranking : :lol

Production of the RoadRunner albums :

1. The Astonishing
2. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
3. Systematic Chaos
4. A Dramatic Turn of Events
5. DT12

Although I don't mind the sound of Dramatic Turn. It's just a bit demoey sounding and the drum mix is too quiet.
I would agree with all of this. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline YOWspotter

« Reply #2182 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
So I've given this thing a few spins and my conclusion is that it's not really for me.  There's no questioning the creativity and musicianship required to conceive and execute such an album; it's just that this isn't what I what DT to be applying all that talent towards.

I don't think I can fall in love with this album.  The fantastic moments, and there are many, are frustratingly buried in stuff I'm not overly keen on and/or are under-developed.  I can't count how many times while listening I hear a wonderful theme that I want to latch onto and ride for a while, only to have it end way too soon for my liking.

For example, in The X Aspect, I wish the concept part from 2:34 to 3:34 was a 6 minute song ... instead of a 1 minute "snippet"!

Anyway, with all that said, I can get on board with the following more or less from start to finish:

A Better Life (probably my favourite overall)
Ravenskill
Moment of Betrayal
The Path that Divides

PS. does anyone else feel like A Better Life could easily find a home on a Rocky soundtrack?  That's a good thing ...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2183 on: February 10, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
It's crazy that one person ( ie me ) can listen to The Astonishing and be like

" This is incredible. This is MUSIC. Easily the best thing they've done since Octavarium. Just gorgeous  :) "

And another person can listen to the exact same album and be like

" Ehhhh. It's bland and boring :( "

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2184 on: February 10, 2016, 07:53:57 AM »
Well it's not that hard to top Octavarium.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2185 on: February 10, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »
I'm not sure "under-developed" would be an accurate description since they spent the better part of 2 years writing and fleshing
out ideas. I'm totally cool with people not liking it but for the reasons people have mentioned not liking it, I am feeling the opposite.
I have felt that far too many DT songs went on 2-5 minutes longer than necessary and found myself skipping long endings.
So for me this album represents a DT that gets concise and focused and keeps me wanting more. I never feel like skipping sections
of songs and I am always anxious to spin the whole thing again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
Well it's not that hard to top Octavarium.

:getoffmylawn: Ohhhhhhhhhhh

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2187 on: February 10, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »

PS. does anyone else feel like A Better Life could easily find a home on a Rocky soundtrack?  That's a good thing ...

Absolutely - that's the first thing I thought of and can't get it out of my head.  From the JPs solo through the end, it definitely reminds me of the music in Rocky IV.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2188 on: February 10, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Haha you wish there would be a 8 disc version with all the improvisations and solos cut off ?

I listened over 20 times now, still feeling new things and changing favorites, this is so dense and multi-layered !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline pretorios

« Reply #2189 on: February 10, 2016, 09:21:44 AM »
I'm not sure "under-developed" would be an accurate description since they spent the better part of 2 years writing and fleshing
out ideas. I'm totally cool with people not liking it but for the reasons people have mentioned not liking it, I am feeling the opposite.
I have felt that far too many DT songs went on 2-5 minutes longer than necessary and found myself skipping long endings.
So for me this album represents a DT that gets concise and focused and keeps me wanting more. I never feel like skipping sections
of songs and I am always anxious to spin the whole thing again.

I do like the shorter more focused songs. Whether they thought shorter songs would work better for TA or they've learned to be more disciplined--I really hope it's the latter, as I want to see more of this format in the future. There's nothing wrong with an epic song now and then, but DT's more recent albums--BCASL and ADTOE might be the biggest offenders--have been overwrought with long songs. Sometimes less is more, and to leave a listener wanting more--isn't that the ultimate compliment to an artist?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2190 on: February 10, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
Has been a while since I've posted here.

I'm now at the point where I can very much enjoy listening to a lot of these songs separately, especially for such a concept-based album that's pretty cool.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2191 on: February 10, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
I have listened to it every day since release.  Sometimes multiple times.  I usually play it first thing when I get in to work.  Today, decided to give it a break and listen to Retrospect instead.  I will queue The Astonishing up for later. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2192 on: February 10, 2016, 10:27:52 AM »
I don't think I can fall in love with this album.  The fantastic moments, and there are many, are frustratingly buried in stuff I'm not overly keen on and/or are under-developed.  I can't count how many times while listening I hear a wonderful theme that I want to latch onto and ride for a while, only to have it end way too soon for my liking.

For example, in The X Aspect, I wish the concept part from 2:34 to 3:34 was a 6 minute song ... instead of a 1 minute "snippet"!
I sort of understand you, though I agree with emtee that I'm not sure "under-developed" is really the right word. I really do feel that they did an excellent and very careful job with recurring themes, music fitting narrative, and so on.

That said, for me personally the themes that seem to recur the most - Brother Can You Hear Me, for example - are the ones I'm generally least excited about. Whereas my favourite themes/melodies have little or no recurrence, like the two different Evangeline bits, all that great stuff in Three Days, the climax in Ravenskill, pretty much everything in A Life Left Behind.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2193 on: February 10, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
My ranking of the album slowly settles on "mid tier" for me. It's nowhere near as bad as some online rankings make it out to be, but it's also not top-tier. A ton better than DT12 for sure, maybe similar to ADTOE.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2194 on: February 10, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
That said, for me personally the themes that seem to recur the most - Brother Can You Hear Me, for example - are the ones I'm generally least excited about. Whereas my favourite themes/melodies have little or no recurrence, like the two different Evangeline bits, all that great stuff in Three Days, the climax in Ravenskill, pretty much everything in A Life Left Behind.

BCYHM doesn't actually recur that often, it's just very identifiable whenever it comes up. Not sure what you mean by climax in Ravenskill - the heavy middle section or the ending - but both of those do recur more than once. Especially the latter is one of the most dynamic motifs of the whole thing.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2195 on: February 10, 2016, 10:39:35 AM »

I actually think the production on DT12 is quite good, one of my fav DT albums.. The production TA is top notch though, very easy on the ears!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2196 on: February 10, 2016, 10:44:20 AM »

I agree with you on that, especially the evangeline melody is very cool, sad to only hear it twice in the album.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: February 10, 2016, 10:44:58 AM »

I don't know what theme recurs how often, but I have the same feeling. The themes I don't like - Brother Can You Hear Me and Faythe's theme - I feel like they're all over the album. :lol And yeah, absolutely gorgeous Evangeline theme almost isn't featured at all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2198 on: February 10, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
BCYHM doesn't actually recur that often, it's just very identifiable whenever it comes up.

Off the top of my head, it occurs in:

Dystopian Overture (under the Lion King vocalizing)
BCYHM (duh)
The X Aspect (bagpipes)
Astonishing (Ghost Arhys)

And I just proved your point, I thought it showed up a lot more

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2199 on: February 10, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »
BCYHM doesn't actually recur that often, it's just very identifiable whenever it comes up.
For sure it's not that often, but still more than any other I think.

Not sure what you mean by climax in Ravenskill - the heavy middle section or the ending - but both of those do recur more than once. Especially the latter is one of the most dynamic motifs of the whole thing.
I especially mean the meeting between Faythe and Arhys - really fantastic stuff. The build up just before that is great too. I didn't think either of those recurred, but I haven't spotted everything yet.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2200 on: February 10, 2016, 01:22:47 PM »
So I've given this thing a few spins and my conclusion is that it's not really for me.  There's no questioning the creativity and musicianship required to conceive and execute such an album; it's just that this isn't what I what DT to be applying all that talent towards.

I love the album, but I completely agree with the bolded part.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2201 on: February 10, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
Listened to this today.  It was pretty good.

When I got to around :41 in 2285 Entr'acte, it reminded me of the line around :21 in War Inside My Head.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #2202 on: February 10, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »

I love the album, but I completely agree with the bolded part.

Yea 2:50 - 3:06 is one of my favorite DT moments in a long time.

I kinda love that about this album, though.  So many short lived moments that give me chills.  Not quite like any other album I've ever experienced for sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2203 on: February 10, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »

I don't know what theme recurs how often, but I have the same feeling. The themes I don't like - Brother Can You Hear Me and Faythe's theme - I feel like they're all over the album. :lol And yeah, absolutely gorgeous Evangeline theme almost isn't featured at all.

+1 on the Evangeline theme, it's awesome.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2204 on: February 10, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
+2 :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol