Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519383 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1715 on: February 04, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »
No knock against JP or Richard, but imagine if this album was produced by Steven f'n Wilson!!!  It just occurred to me while listening to his new EP today.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #1716 on: February 04, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster...

The Astonishing has pretty much dominated my music listening since last Friday.  The Gift of Music had me at first listen but Moment of Betrayal didn't really click at first. 
     To be honest, I woke up Friday morning and kind of skipped around on Spotify to give me a general idea of the album.  Once I got to work, I played the whole thing through once and liked it enough...no more or less than the last two.  I picked the physical copy of the cd up on my lunch and drove around listening to it.  I got back to the office and played it through again and again.  At this point, it was starting to sink in.
     The next time I listened, I followed the storyline and the musical themes began to connect.  At this point, I felt comfortable putting it in the top tier of DT releases.  If I were to pick a word to describe it, I'd say beautiful.  It really runs the gamut...on one hand it's melancholy, but on the other hand, it's uplifting.  It's bombastic and majestic yet it's also restrained.  My favorites by them (in no order) are I&W, Awake, SDOIT, FII, and Scenes with my favorite song being A Change of Seasons.  The Astonishing so far is right up there with my favorites.  Granted, it is early but I don't see it fading much.  I do know this much...it will never drop down with SC, BC&SL, or WDADU.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1717 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »
Is the piano riff from The Answer and Hymn of a Thousand Voices the same one?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1718 on: February 04, 2016, 03:56:08 PM »
I just physically shuddered at the thought of Casey McPherson in DT. He is the sole reason I can't listen to Flying Colors and didn't buy their second album. Horrible singer, awful forced fake accent when he's singing just drains the songs of any emotion (ahem in my opinion). Sorry just had to get that off my chest, I'm sure many people like him, just not me.
Well, I don't understand this at all, since I love Casey and think he has a unique voice.

But he is certainly not right for DT.  We can agree on that.

It is quite distinctive but it sounds forced and put on to me. He doesn't speak in that accent so why fake an accent when singing. It just puts an emotional barrier up between me and the music. Most, if not all, singers that I like totally sound like themselves when they sing. When you hear Neal Morse or JLB sing, you can totally hear their speaking voice in there. The guy is obviously a successful artist though so this is just my personal preference.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1719 on: February 04, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »
I just have the CD version but as I watched this review, it seems that the cover shot next to him has more color to it than my CD. Am I correct or just having eye issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVLP9oaLkBU&list=LLOXjSHliW8THxMD9po4cVMQ

The guy is a total douchebag! LMAO Go to 4:45 mark. He says the guys in DT  have balls the size of walnuts and does a lame attempt to try and recover!

Ok, I watched it, and I'm not sure how this makes the guy a "total douchebag".

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1720 on: February 04, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
I think it will be interesting if someone can make a new thread and discuss G.N.E.A Map.
As you know, G.N.E.A Map is map of america 269 years from now, with different name from a lot place.
I admit I'm intrigued about that kind of thread  ;D
Unfortunately, I am far away from southeast Asia, and of course I have less knowledge about specific place in America. So hard enough for me to analysis real name of place from G.N.E.A map, but still, it will be interesting thread.
Well, there is a thread where people discuss about the map, but looks like the other not interested enough, so that thread is abandoned. I hope someone will start it  :tup
I wonder real name of every place in G.N.E.A Map  :tup  ;D

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #1721 on: February 04, 2016, 05:08:52 PM »
No Astonishing here in Brazil yet, but I managed to keep on being interested in other things, which is amazing. But it´s hard.

Just read another review that made me even more hyped:

https://amnplify.com.au/cpt_reviews/dream-theater-the-astonishing-album-review/

My favorite part:

"I’m not sure whether the Dream Theater with Mike Portnoy calling the shots would have been bold enough to try something as grand as this, or even something so vulnerable from a stylistic standpoint. The whole vibe of the album just seems totally at odds with the direction the band were headed before they parted ways; the embarrassing faux-death growls which threatened to ruin A Nightmare to Remember are a distant memory.
Dream Theater took a creative risk with this album and the result is a truly great release. No two ways about it, The Astonishing is a spectacular piece of work."
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1722 on: February 04, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
Dream Theater with Mike Portnoy calling the shots

People really need to check their facts before making stupid statements like this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1723 on: February 04, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
They were so AC/DC when Portnoy was in the band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1724 on: February 04, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
Yeah...after the third and fourth listens, this album is moving into epic territory.  It even has a chance to challenge the hallowed, previously thought (IMO, at least) untouchable grounds of I&W and Awake.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1725 on: February 04, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »
I like about 21 of the 34 tracks. Wjeni delete the remaining songs I enjoy listening

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1726 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »
I'm wondering if we'll see some merchandise for GNE and Ravenskill.  I'm thinking shirts, hats, even sports jerseys.  Although the only sport I can see these two playing is quidditch! haha

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1727 on: February 04, 2016, 06:05:23 PM »
Sports jerseys would be amazing.  I loved the Metropolis jersey.  Wish I had one.  The EFTS "jersey" was not nearly as cool, although the colors definitely were. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1728 on: February 04, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
Just passing by to appreciate The Walking Shadow. Short, yes, but incredibly powerful in every way. I think the whole track is complete genius, to be honest. The way they narrate the story and intertwine it with the music had me on the edge of my seat the first time I heard it.

I get how it fits into the story, but musically that might be one of the most uninteresting songs they've ever done.  IMO, of course. ;)

Thank goodness most of the rest of the album is so darn good.

I find it interesting because this is one of the songs where the music was really integral in telling the story. When Mangini entered this metronomic "tic tic tic" in the hi-hat with the occassional off-beat, I really felt the tension. I especially loved the part where Daryus was about to stab Faythe, how the polyrhythms communicated the confusion and the quickening pace.

Again, I get how it fits to tell the story, but I just find it to be uninteresting musically.  This album is ripe with memorable melodies, and I cannot recall a single one from that tune.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1729 on: February 04, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »
Just passing by to appreciate The Walking Shadow. Short, yes, but incredibly powerful in every way. I think the whole track is complete genius, to be honest. The way they narrate the story and intertwine it with the music had me on the edge of my seat the first time I heard it.

I get how it fits into the story, but musically that might be one of the most uninteresting songs they've ever done.  IMO, of course. ;)

Thank goodness most of the rest of the album is so darn good.

I find it interesting because this is one of the songs where the music was really integral in telling the story. When Mangini entered this metronomic "tic tic tic" in the hi-hat with the occassional off-beat, I really felt the tension. I especially loved the part where Daryus was about to stab Faythe, how the polyrhythms communicated the confusion and the quickening pace.

Again, I get how it fits to tell the story, but I just find it to be uninteresting musically.  This album is ripe with memorable melodies, and I cannot recall a single one from that tune.

Really? Not even "What have you done?! My Father's dead!" :p

Although you are right, this song is not focused on melody. It's more of atmosphere. And catchy riffing.

I also love JR's "twisted" solo after JL sang "Like stepping right into a trap..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1730 on: February 04, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »
Well, I will admit that the middle of Act 2 is kind of a black hole for me (tracks 6-10 are all ones I am skipping already)...:P

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1731 on: February 04, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »
Weird question: Is Myung a bit louder in the right speaker? I've been trying to see if it's an earphone problem, if my hearing in the left ear is shot, or if it was intentional.

Offline jvelvet3

« Reply #1732 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:40 PM »
After a week with this album, I just wanted to chime in to say that I'm really enjoying it. Musically speaking, I'm a fan of all aspects of DT, from the heavy, to the soft, and everything in between, but I've been hoping for a bit less of their recent metal sound and more of the DT that gave us One Last Time, Finally Free, To Live Forever, The Way It Used To Be, SDOIT, LITS, Surrounded, etc. That may not be exactly what we got, but I'm loving the variety on this album, specifically the orchestra and choir, the piano, the acoustic guitar, and as others have pointed out, a generally more upbeat/positive tone.

I've been listening mostly to Act I because it's just so damn good, so I'm not as familiar with Act II yet. My favorite so far is Savior in the Square. I love both the music and the scene it sets: The beautiful guitar/orchestra/choir intro as a peaceful gathering of the townspeople takes place to hear Gabriel sing. The trumpets announce the arrival of Lord Nafaryus... it turns heavy and tense and I love the way James sings Nafaryus' parts. After some back and forth, Gabriel says he will sing for them. And as he's just about to....everything stops...just a piano...Gabriel spots the princess .... and schwing! it's love at first sight. I would love to see this (the whole damn story) played out in a move/musical/pop-up book/whatever.

Other favorites: Act of Faythe (that ending - I've found my wayyyyyyyyyyyy!), Brother Can You Hear Me?, A Life Left Behind, The Gift of Music, A Better Life, Lord Nafaryus.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at the story. It may not be the most original, but it's very well done, and held my interest while following along with the lyrics and descriptions on the website. I only wish those song descriptions were included in the booklet, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed (or been able to visualize) the story as much without them.

Anywhos, bye.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #1733 on: February 04, 2016, 07:15:25 PM »
I like the fact that the titles of the songs are false spoilers, which misguided me (and possibly other people) when we could only see the track names.

For example:
When Your Time Has Come - The time of nobody has come
Act Of Faythe - It's inside her head, not really an act of hers
A Life Left Behind - No one died
Moment Of Betrayal - Arhys decided to betray Gabriel, but he doesn't carry on with the plan
My Last Farewell - Not a death
Losing Faythe - She's not lost

Among others with smaller impact, like Three Days, which I thought was about the passage of three days, and The Answer, which could more properly be named "The Question"

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #1734 on: February 04, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »
But I think that to review it fairly or to form a fair opinion, you have to take it on its own terms and at least try to listen to it for what it is, rather than what you might like the band to have done.
^^^^^Good advice for appreciating any creative work.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1735 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
Yea, I think we all have our own ideas on what we want/expect a DT album to sound like, and when it doesn't meet those expectations, we are let down.  This lived up to my expectations based on the early reviews.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1736 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »
Anyone interested to hear Portnoy's thoughts on The Astonishing?? I think it'd be interesting....

I can honestly say, I have never been as curious about what MP is thinking about the new DT than I am with this album in particular. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1737 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:58 PM »
Anyone interested to hear Portnoy's thoughts on The Astonishing?? I think it'd be interesting....

I can honestly say, I have never been as curious about what MP is thinking about the new DT than I am with this album in particular.

I doubt he'll ever say, and really, what's the point?  It would be impossible for him to be objective about it, and anything negative will just create another shit storm, like when he made the comment about the alleged ADTOE/I&W similarities.  It's best to just keep quiet about it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1738 on: February 04, 2016, 08:34:33 PM »
Oh I know he won't....but what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall.   

The one question that I hope someone asks him on his next Twitter-fest.    "Hypothetical - at a future point, you're back in Dream Theater.  Are you open to the idea of playing some MM-era material?"

But now I'm off topic.   I just figured that...if he answered...it would give us an idea of songs he may have liked more than others.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1739 on: February 04, 2016, 08:37:16 PM »
I think he'd have to be.  If that ever happened, fences would have been mended big time and concessions on his part will had to have been made, including the idea of playing songs from the albums he wasn't a part of.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1740 on: February 04, 2016, 11:27:12 PM »
I like the fact that the titles of the songs are false spoilers, which misguided me (and possibly other people) when we could only see the track names.

For example:
Moment Of Betrayal - Arhys decided to betray Gabriel, but he doesn't carry on with the plan

Among others with smaller impact, like Three Days, which I thought was about the passage of three days, and The Answer, which could more properly be named "The Question"
Wow man, never thought about that.. I realize some of that title is really 'false spoiler' now :omg: :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1741 on: February 05, 2016, 12:03:51 AM »
Well, I will admit that the middle of Act 2 is kind of a black hole for me (tracks 6-10 are all ones I am skipping already)...:P
You're skipping the album's climax?!

And how can you expect songs to be "memorable" if you don't actually listen to them? :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1742 on: February 05, 2016, 12:05:43 AM »
Isn't that beautiful?

Out of the shadows
One by one they came
To shed their light upon his moment
Of doubt and pain

A thousand voices
Ring out through the night
A symphony of mercy for their savior
Too tired to fight

And as the chorus grew
A thousand hearts beat true
Then like a glowing beacon in the dark
Hope came shining through

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1743 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23:01 AM »
Isn't that beautiful?

Out of the shadows
One by one they came
To shed their light upon his moment
Of doubt and pain

A thousand voices
Ring out through the night
A symphony of mercy for their savior
Too tired to fight

And as the chorus grew
A thousand hearts beat true
Then like a glowing beacon in the dark
Hope came shining through

Oh yes, definitely! One of my favourites right now. Such a different song for DT, but I think most of the album falls into that category.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1744 on: February 05, 2016, 01:08:26 AM »
Damn, Brother Can You Hear Me? is fucking awesome
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1745 on: February 05, 2016, 03:09:45 AM »

For example:

One did actually die! ;D

Anyway, very good point!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1746 on: February 05, 2016, 03:20:01 AM »
Sorry.

Offline genome

« Reply #1747 on: February 05, 2016, 03:35:19 AM »
I've not really been following the story at all to be honest. I've just been listening to the music  :lol It's the same with SFAM, I don't think I know that much about the story (someone gets shot as far as I know) but it's my favourite DT album  :loser:

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1748 on: February 05, 2016, 04:08:25 AM »

For example:

I think you're being a little too literal about it.

When Your Time Has Come - it's a song Gabriel sings about when someone's time has come, it doesn't necessarily have to be NOW. It's not titled "Your Time Comes Now".

Act of Faythe - it can me a few different things. It's her act, as in her spot to be introduced if it was literally a musical. It's also a song about her "act", like "acting", living in a life and a place where she doesn't belong.

A Life Left Behind - "life" can also mean "way of life", it is used in many contexts. When you "leave your life behind" it normally means you're moving to a new place, forgetting everything you knew and start over. That's exactly what's happening here. It's not necessarily about leaving someone's literal life behind.

Moment of Betrayal - Well, you say there are no betrayals here as he doesn't carry the plan...there are actually two betrayals. This was the song where Arhys and Daryus were about to execute their plan for Arhys to betray Gabriel, then at the final chorus Arhys steps back and betrays Daryus by breaking his promise and going out to fight him.

My Last Farewell - This is a song where a person who has just realized two of his loved ones died says his last farewell. It does exactly what it claims to.

Losing Faythe - when you say you're "losing" a person it generally means that he's dying or deteriorating. If it was literally being lost, it wouldn't be in Present Progressive. It would just be "Faythe is Lost" or "Finding Faythe".

Three Days - the announcement that they only have 3 days to hand Gabriel over.

The Answer - there is no question. He just believes he doesn't have the answer to their suffering and problems, but that doesn't mean it's a question.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1749 on: February 05, 2016, 04:15:34 AM »
Loving this thing more each listen. That is usually a good sign for long term enjoyment.

Since I enjoy it this much, I decided to buy the CD (usually a vinyl guy but eh, yeah...). I like the packaging and art and even do not mind the booklet sticking to the casing or it being the more brittle kind of digipack. What does somewhat bother me, however, is that they didn't grab the oppertunity to feature all locations and more of the art in the booklet. On the smaller format, it all looks ace and I would've liked seeing all the locations in the booklet. (please note this is just a very minor "complaint").

Also, both of my parents think it is a great album. They both said "hey, this is kind of like Jesus Christ Superstar, it sounds bautiful/great!". I really think this is one of those albums that is accessible to a very different crowd than the DT-fanbase or rock/metal fanatics. Also, due to this, I decided to give Jesus Christ Superstar a spin for the first time (original concept and the first film) and oh my god that piece is astonishing. Not that TA is like a copy or anything (I think the whole thing feels quite fresh), but I can definitely hear similarities. And I also gave Tommy and Quadrophenia by the Who another spin, gotta love those late 60's/early 70's rock opera's ;D

For example:

I think you're being a little too literal about it.

When Your Time Has Come - it's a song Gabriel sings about when someone's time has come, it doesn't necessarily have to be NOW. It's not titled "Your Time Comes Now".

Act of Faythe - it can me a few different things. It's her act, as in her spot to be introduced if it was literally a musical. It's also a song about her "act", like "acting", living in a life and a place where she doesn't belong.

A Life Left Behind - "life" can also mean "way of life", it is used in many contexts. When you "leave your life behind" it normally means you're moving to a new place, forgetting everything you knew and start over. That's exactly what's happening here. It's not necessarily about leaving someone's literal life behind.

Moment of Betrayal - Well, you say there are no betrayals here as he doesn't carry the plan...there are actually two betrayals. This was the song where Arhys and Daryus were about to execute their plan for Arhys to betray Gabriel, then at the final chorus Arhys steps back and betrays Daryus by breaking his promise and going out to fight him.

My Last Farewell - This is a song where a person who has just realized two of his loved ones died says his last farewell. It does exactly what it claims to.

Losing Faythe - when you say you're "losing" a person it generally means that he's dying or deteriorating. If it was literally being lost, it wouldn't be in Present Progressive. It would just be "Faythe is Lost" or "Finding Faythe".

Three Days - the announcement that they only have 3 days to hand Gabriel over.

The Answer - there is no question. He just believes he doesn't have the answer to their suffering and problems, but that doesn't mean it's a question.

I agree. But I do think some song titles make a lot of people, including me, assume other things will happen. I like the song titles. They often are spot on in terms of lyrical content, but not always in the manner you expect them to. No weird or difficult words (which prog acts really love), but quite literal sounding titles that turn out to be less literal in some cases.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:34:05 AM by ErHaO »