Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518983 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1680 on: February 04, 2016, 09:50:38 AM »
I didn't read anyone complaining about the sound and production. I didn't listen to the CD yet. How does it sound?
Really good. Nice and open for me with lots of space. Through headphones it's amazing. Can feel every instrument.

Thanx pal.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #1681 on: February 04, 2016, 09:54:51 AM »
Does any of you know if the instrument at 2:20 in Dystopian Overture (left channel) is a mandolin?

I definitely heard a mandolin in the left channel during a later song on the album, but the song escapes me right now.

John mentions mandolin in this video, so yes you're hearing correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qf2fzPUqlE

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1682 on: February 04, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
Maybe all of you guys, sick & tired with this post of mine, but again...
Second video slot in The Astonishing page is still the same video with first slot
So the question is... Is TGoM Official Video not the second video for The Astonishing page?? Or they just have not update it yet??
Will we have another video from Dream Theater?
We will, eventually. After seeing Bosk's warning about posting unauthorized material in the TGOM music video thread, I'm sure we got something being released sometime in the future. :soon:
Yeah, I remember that. So..... That's mean, possibility about we will have another video for astonishing page, is higher then? Hahaha   :biggrin:
We're definitely getting another video.
Hahaha. What do think? What kind video is that? I bet that is animation video  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1683 on: February 04, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »
I am not aware of any other videos planned.  The TGOM video was the only other video I was aware of.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1684 on: February 04, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
I am not aware of any other videos planned.  The TGOM video was the only other video I was aware of.
If so, then maybe it's time for me to stop refreshing that page almost every hour.  :omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1685 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
as a huge fan since I&W, i am enjoying TA with everything new it has to offer.  all the tracks seem like perfect little snippets of Dream Theater gold.  i'll admit i'm left wanting a bit though, as killer riffs and beast mode moments seem to go as quick as they come.  after 12 albums, i didn't realize how "trained" DT had me as far as enjoying the development of a 10 minute song where the grooves and riffs last a while.

how about a 4 hour album with 34  8 to 10 minute tracks?!  :tup  :lol

Amen, brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: February 04, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
Just for the whiners - hey should put out a 2 hour 10 minute version of The Astonishing as one track.

::) There you go. It's a 130 minutes song. Long enough for ya ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1687 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
One thing that should be noted and congratulated is the trust shown by JM, JLB, and MM in the production of this album.  They apparently trusted and believed in JP's vision enough to forego their normal roles as co-writers of music, and go with JP's passion and JR's co-writing.  That is as big a reason as any for the album coming out as cohesively as it does.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1688 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »
An animated video for Our New World would be the shiznit.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »
One thing that should be noted and congratulated is the trust shown by JM, JLB, and MM in the production of this album.  They apparently trusted and believed in JP's vision enough to forego their normal roles as co-writers of music, and go with JP's passion and JR's co-writing.  That is as big a reason as any for the album coming out as cohesively as it does.

Definitely the best production job on a Dream Theater album since Black Clouds. Probably Octavarium.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #1690 on: February 04, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
Wow.  WOW!  This is the album I’ve been waiting for them to make for the last 15 years.  This is equivalent to DT in their heyday (SFAM / 6DOIT).  It may even exceed them based on the sheer ambition of this project. 

When I first heard I&W in ’92 just as grunge was becoming popular, it blew my mind.  DT got me through the 90s musically.  But for the last several albums, the magic has been gone for me.  Part of it is that as my taste has matured, DT’s sound has not.  I am no longer the headbanger I was in my 20s.  And JPs shredding has become so tiresome for me, heard it all before.  I had been hoping for a more mellow DT sound for a long time as the guys age, but had almost written them off.

So I was SHOCKED! when I first listened to the Astonishing.  It is so damn good.  I can’t stop listening.  I cannot remember a time when I’ve been so excited about new music.  I don’t hear any fillers here, I love the length, love the number and incredible variety of the tracks, and love that nothings over 6 minutes.  I love the piano and acoustic guitar and all the unique instruments they have added. 

I am not a JLB fan, but I think he does a good job here.  Still, I cannot help wonder how good this would be with a more modern sounding vocalist, someone like Casey McPherson.  Also, as has been discussed, JM where are you?  Disappointing since I would have thought an album like this might have allowed him to spread his wings.  And MM, I really don’t like his sound and robotic style.  It almost sounds like a drum machine.  The stuff Portnoy has been doing with Flying Colors and Neal Morse lately just sounds so much better to me.  But enough of that.

Major props to JP for parking his ego at the door on this one and really putting the music first.  And JR, what can one say?  He is the wizard.  I feel like DT is finally acting their age and realizing their potential.  I so hope this new sound is an indication of where they are going and not just a one-off.

Welcome back boys, DT IS BACK!!!

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1691 on: February 04, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
and love that nothings over 6 minutes.

Ravenskill 6:01
A New Beginning 7:41
A Moment of Betrayal 6:14

What's that, you say?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1692 on: February 04, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
I'm also a fan of the short songs.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1693 on: February 04, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
When I said we were definitely getting another video, my brain, for some reason, forgot about TGOM's music video.  :facepalm:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline V_R11

« Reply #1694 on: February 04, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
Anyone else cracking up at the "News" shown at the top of the page?  :lol

"Daryus unfortunately cannot listen to the new album.  Ironic..."

"After two concept albums, it should be clear that the members of Dream Theater may have "brother issues." "

"Faythe lives!"
Seasons change and so can I

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: February 04, 2016, 12:31:57 PM »
Yeah there are lots of great ones there.

"DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1696 on: February 04, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »

"After two concept albums, it should be clear that the members of Dream Theater may have "brother issues." "

"Faythe lives!"

I wanted to post this sooner or later, they crack me up as well!  :rollin

Love the one that tells that Uncle Gabriel is a hippie and Xander should be put in a foster home  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1697 on: February 04, 2016, 12:39:46 PM »

"Faythe lives!"
It's about time that ticker was upgraded!  :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1698 on: February 04, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »

"Faythe lives!"

I wanted to post this sooner or later, they crack me up as well!  :rollin

Love the one that tells that Uncle Gabriel is a hippie and Xander should be put in a foster home  :lol
I actually clicked on that link thinking it was real ._.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1699 on: February 04, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
I hadn't even looked at that until a few days ago when the forum was down for maintenance. The one about Xander is the best.

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #1700 on: February 04, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »
Just for the whiners - hey should put out a 2 hour 10 minute version of The Astonishing as one track.

::) There you go. It's a 130 minutes song. Long enough for ya ?

the great riffs and grooves still wouldn't last long enough as they pop in and out throughout. 

is now a good time to mention that other than I&W, ToT is my favorite DT album?    ::)

kidding aside, i'm liking this album way more than i ever thought i would for something that's not so metal heavy.  a testament to how good the writing is.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1701 on: February 04, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »
How can any of the songs on this album be considered "filler"?? They're all part of the overall story I think.  What would be considered filler in a rock opera? "Gabriel gets up the next morning....brushes his teeeeeeth-ah!"
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline HippyDave

« Reply #1702 on: February 04, 2016, 01:56:53 PM »
Typically, on first listen nothing really jumped out at me - it was just a tidal wave of ideas, as most DT albums are on first hearing. It didn't take long to start making sense, though. Which is a good job, as I was reviewing it for Echoes and Dust!

Review here: https://echoesanddust.com/2016/02/dream-theater-the-astonishing/

I think the final breakthrough was last night's end-to-end listen. Lights low, lyric book out, volume up... and front-to-back, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think you either embrace the larger-than-life, Broadway musical-esque nature of it and enjoy it, or you spend so long worrying about what it *isn't* that your disappointment becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's not to say that the people who don't like it are wrong - as I say in my review, I can quite understand why this one is especially divisive, even among fans - but expectations can be a terrible thing.

Yeah, really enjoying it here :D.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1703 on: February 04, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
Smegolas,  I don't think there exists a better vocalist than James Labrie for this album. He nailed it!!
  I like what you said about Dream Theater getting you through the nineties musically, I totally agree! In fact, that subject is more than worthy of it's own thread..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1704 on: February 04, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
Does any of you know if the instrument at 2:20 in Dystopian Overture (left channel) is a mandolin?

I believe it's JR playing a harp patch.

Yeah that sounds right.

With an orchestra at your disposal, why not just use a real harp?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1705 on: February 04, 2016, 02:03:01 PM »
I think you either embrace the larger-than-life, Broadway musical-esque nature of it and enjoy it, or you spend so long worrying about what it *isn't* that your disappointment becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's not to say that the people who don't like it are wrong - as I say in my review, I can quite understand why this one is especially divisive, even among fans - but expectations can be a terrible thing.

Yeah, I agree.  It's one thing to not like it.  But I think that to review it fairly or to form a fair opinion, you have to take it on its own terms and at least try to listen to it for what it is, rather than what you might like the band to have done.  Don't get me wrong--I don't get the point of trying to force myself to like something by listening over and over again if it didn't take after a first listen.  But by the same token, to really be understood and appreciated, this album requires that you take it in as a whole and pay attention to what is going on.  Failing to do that and then dismissing the album is, IMO, doing a disservice.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1706 on: February 04, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »
I just physically shuddered at the thought of Casey McPherson in DT. He is the sole reason I can't listen to Flying Colors and didn't buy their second album. Horrible singer, awful forced fake accent when he's singing just drains the songs of any emotion (ahem in my opinion). Sorry just had to get that off my chest, I'm sure many people like him, just not me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1707 on: February 04, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »
I just physically shuddered at the thought of Casey McPherson in DT. He is the sole reason I can't listen to Flying Colors and didn't buy their second album. Horrible singer, awful forced fake accent when he's singing just drains the songs of any emotion (ahem in my opinion). Sorry just had to get that off my chest, I'm sure many people like him, just not me.

Amen, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1708 on: February 04, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
I just have the CD version but as I watched this review, it seems that the cover shot next to him has more color to it than my CD. Am I correct or just having eye issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVLP9oaLkBU&list=LLOXjSHliW8THxMD9po4cVMQ

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1709 on: February 04, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »
Well, I don't understand this at all, since I love Casey and think he has a unique voice.

But he is certainly not right for DT.  We can agree on that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1710 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »
I just want to say that the first 90 seconds of A Savior In The Square is amazing.

Also, looking at the map, with it basically being NY and southern NE, there is a town on the coast called Idlehaven, which if you look at a real map, there is a town in that spot called Fairhaven. I grew up in the next town over from Fairhaven.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #1711 on: February 04, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »
Well, I don't understand this at all, since I love Casey and think he has a unique voice.

But he is certainly not right for DT.  We can agree on that.

Funny how we all have such different tastes, I think he's fantastic.  I agree that Casey wouldn't normally be a good fit for DT, but I was just referring to this particular album.  I think it would have been interesting.  And they could have brought in MP for the yelling stuff.   :biggrin:

Offline ArmoredSaint

« Reply #1712 on: February 04, 2016, 02:52:18 PM »
I just have the CD version but as I watched this review, it seems that the cover shot next to him has more color to it than my CD. Am I correct or just having eye issues?

The guy is a total douchebag! LMAO Go to 4:45 mark. He says the guys in DT  have balls the size of walnuts and does a lame attempt to try and recover!

Offline thosava

« Reply #1713 on: February 04, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »

The guy is a total douchebag! LMAO Go to 4:45 mark. He says the guys in DT  have balls the size of walnuts and does a lame attempt to try and recover!

I have been subscribed to that channel since their very first video, and he's actually a very humble guy compared to most other reviewers. Allthough that comment was a bit weird  :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1714 on: February 04, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »