Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519754 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1645 on: February 03, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0cZAuV4gvQ

JR interview.

LTE Question :

" I don't know " {pulls a face} " it's tricky with the dynamics when Portnoy left. But who knows..."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1646 on: February 03, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
I'm happy that a lot of people do like it. But I'm pretty disappointed. Hats off to anyone who can listen to this in one go, I simply couldn't do it. I found myself going, AGAIN?!? Every time they broke to a piano and vocals part just to chew up some story

This is the same reaction I'm having while listening to the album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1647 on: February 03, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »
Maybe all of you guys, sick & tired with this post of mine, but again...
Second video slot in The Astonishing page is still the same video with first slot
So the question is... Is TGoM Official Video not the second video for The Astonishing page?? Or they just have not update it yet??
Will we have another video from Dream Theater?

And NOMACS eyes, of course
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:04:37 PM by pringkaarwanda »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1648 on: February 03, 2016, 06:04:57 PM »
Second video slot in The Astonishing page is still the same video with first slot
So the question is... Is TGoM Official Video not the second video for The Astonishing page?? Or they just have not update it yet??
We will, eventually. After seeing Bosk's warning about posting unauthorized material in the TGOM music video thread, I'm sure we got something being released sometime in the future. :soon:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1649 on: February 03, 2016, 06:42:09 PM »
We will, eventually. After seeing Bosk's warning about posting unauthorized material in the TGOM music video thread, I'm sure we got something being released sometime in the future. :soon:
Yeah, I remember that. So..... That's mean, possibility about we will have another video for astonishing page, is higher then? Hahaha   :biggrin:

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1650 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
Just have to add, A Life Left Behind is fucking awesome.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #1651 on: February 03, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
Is it just me or does "The Astonishing" look a little off centered on the album cover?

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #1652 on: February 03, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
as a huge fan since I&W, i am enjoying TA with everything new it has to offer.  all the tracks seem like perfect little snippets of Dream Theater gold.  i'll admit i'm left wanting a bit though, as killer riffs and beast mode moments seem to go as quick as they come.  after 12 albums, i didn't realize how "trained" DT had me as far as enjoying the development of a 10 minute song where the grooves and riffs last a while.

how about a 4 hour album with 34  8 to 10 minute tracks?!  :tup  :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1653 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »
Just passing by to appreciate The Walking Shadow. Short, yes, but incredibly powerful in every way. I think the whole track is complete genius, to be honest. The way they narrate the story and intertwine it with the music had me on the edge of my seat the first time I heard it.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1654 on: February 03, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
Wow, overall what a great album!!

The writing is truly inspired, production is better, and the whole album just has so much heart and energy that's been lacking since at least Octavarium.

My only complaint is that some parts of the album feel bloated.
Certain songs sound like definite filler while other songs are rushed. I think if they had trimmed this album down by about a half hour and let the quality songs breathe a little, it could have been their best record since Awake. Overall it's really really good.

Agree with this; a fair deal of good parts are too short, and a fair deal of boring parts are too long.  It's the kind of stuff a good outside producer would fix, but they refuse to do that.  Overall, though, it's still a marvelous album.  Better production could have made it their best ever, I think.  And the "highs" of this album are among their best ever.

Just got done with a second listen, and it's already coming together for me.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1655 on: February 03, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »
Just passing by to appreciate The Walking Shadow. Short, yes, but incredibly powerful in every way. I think the whole track is complete genius, to be honest. The way they narrate the story and intertwine it with the music had me on the edge of my seat the first time I heard it.

I get how it fits into the story, but musically that might be one of the most uninteresting songs they've ever done.  IMO, of course. ;)

Thank goodness most of the rest of the album is so darn good.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1656 on: February 03, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »
Our New World:  Reminds me of prime Saigon Kick (a good thing)

Wow, now I really have to give Saigon Kick a try...heard of them a lot, never gave them a listen.

I have to take back what I said earlier, about there being no potential radio hits on this album.  After my second listen, I think even today this song is good enough to take off.

At this point, I think the combination of A New Beginning, Our New World, and A Life Left Behind are enough simply on their own to make this a memorable album...and there's a lot of good stuff otherwise.  But these three, in that order, are some of the best stuff this band has ever wrote.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »

Certain songs sound like definite filler while other songs are rushed. I think if they had trimmed this album down by about a half hour and let the quality songs breathe a little, it could have been their best record since Awake. Overall it's really really good.

Agree with this; a fair deal of good parts are too short, and a fair deal of boring parts are too long.  It's the kind of stuff a good outside producer would fix, but they refuse to do that.  Overall, though, it's still a marvelous album.  Better production could have made it their best ever, I think.  And the "highs" of this album are among their best ever.

Agree with these statements.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1658 on: February 04, 2016, 01:27:59 AM »
One of the things I most appreciate about this album is the return to upbeat/major songwriting in the vein of Only A Matter Of Time, Under A Glass Moon or Innocence Faded. It's been missing from the DT sound for a while.

Absolutely correct.  Saw hints of this with DT12, with Looking Glass and Bigger Picture.  IMO, this was one of DT's huge strengths that set them apart from other metal bands (other than their insane musical talent, obviously).

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1659 on: February 04, 2016, 01:56:20 AM »

I get how it fits into the story, but musically that might be one of the most uninteresting songs they've ever done.  IMO, of course. ;)

Thank goodness most of the rest of the album is so darn good.

I find it interesting because this is one of the songs where the music was really integral in telling the story. When Mangini entered this metronomic "tic tic tic" in the hi-hat with the occassional off-beat, I really felt the tension. I especially loved the part where Daryus was about to stab Faythe, how the polyrhythms communicated the confusion and the quickening pace.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: February 04, 2016, 04:48:59 AM »
Moment of Betrayal is great. Should be next single.

And then Our New World.

Moment of Betrayal verse = Count of The Great Tuscany Debate :biggrin:

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1661 on: February 04, 2016, 06:56:32 AM »
When Your Time Has Come is the best song on this album.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1662 on: February 04, 2016, 07:00:35 AM »

The writing is truly inspired, production is better, and the whole album just has so much heart and energy that's been lacking since at least Octavarium.

Just got done with a second listen, and it's already coming together for me.

I was thinking along these lines on the first couple of spins, but now that I know the entire album and all of the nuances and themes, I'm liking the structure of pieces even more. Maybe extending "Astonishing" for one repeat verse would be nice, but no big deal. I love this whole album.  :tup

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1663 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
Moment of Betrayal verse = Count of The Great Tuscany Debate :biggrin:

So true  :biggrin:

Offline thosava

« Reply #1664 on: February 04, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »
Does any of you know if the instrument at 2:20 in Dystopian Overture (left channel) is a mandolin?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1665 on: February 04, 2016, 07:25:18 AM »
Does any of you know if the instrument at 2:20 in Dystopian Overture (left channel) is a mandolin?

I believe it's JR playing a harp patch.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline thosava

« Reply #1666 on: February 04, 2016, 07:26:31 AM »

Yeah that sounds right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1667 on: February 04, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »

Yeah that sounds right.

There's a hysterical video on Youtube of JP playing with a harp effect. It might have been an Adam02 video.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1668 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:07 AM »

I definitely heard a mandolin in the left channel during a later song on the album, but the song escapes me right now.

Offline thosava

« Reply #1669 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »

I definitely heard a mandolin in the left channel during a later song on the album, but the song escapes me right now.

Hymn of a Thousand Voices, in more than half the song

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #1670 on: February 04, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »
I love that there's so many different "X is my favorite song!" posts/topics. It's the sign of a strong, diverse album. I don't feel like that was the case for the last, oh, 4-5 albums (especially on release). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. Ravenskill is best song.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: February 04, 2016, 08:05:13 AM »
as a huge fan since I&W, i am enjoying TA with everything new it has to offer.  all the tracks seem like perfect little snippets of Dream Theater gold.  i'll admit i'm left wanting a bit though, as killer riffs and beast mode moments seem to go as quick as they come.  after 12 albums, i didn't realize how "trained" DT had me as far as enjoying the development of a 10 minute song where the grooves and riffs last a while.

how about a 4 hour album with 34  8 to 10 minute tracks?!  :tup  :lol

Well, in succession, they released albums with six, seven, eight, seven (Enemies being one 'song'), and six.  With Mangini they did BTB nine song albums.  And then.....34.  Maybe they WILL match that with the next one. ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1672 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but has anyone noticed in The Path That Divides @ about 1:33, James does a little, er, "mmmaaahh". It's at the end of the line "When you're facing the path that divides".
A cool little thing, and not something he normally does a lot of, I don't think.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1673 on: February 04, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
I love that there's so many different "X is my favorite song!" posts/topics. It's the sign of a strong, diverse album. I don't feel like that was the case for the last, oh, 4-5 albums (especially on release). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. Ravenskill is best song.
No, you're absolutely right, IMO. They've not taken a risk like this in years  :metal

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #1674 on: February 04, 2016, 08:16:19 AM »
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but has anyone noticed in The Path That Divides @ about 1:33, James does a little, er, "mmmaaahh". It's at the end of the line "When you're facing the path that divides".
A cool little thing, and not something he normally does a lot of, I don't think.
YES.  Top 5 moment.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1675 on: February 04, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
YES.  Top 5 moment.

I noticed it also, it reminded me of Innocence Faded.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1676 on: February 04, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
YES.  Top 5 moment.

I noticed it also, it reminded me of Innocence Faded.

I thought it sounded a bit Muse-y, which is either a good thing or a bad thing, however you look at it. :biggrin:

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1677 on: February 04, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »
I didn't read anyone complaining about the sound and production. I didn't listen to the CD yet. How does it sound?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1678 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »
Yeah, I remember that. So..... That's mean, possibility about we will have another video for astonishing page, is higher then? Hahaha   :biggrin:
We're definitely getting another video.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1679 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »
I didn't read anyone complaining about the sound and production. I didn't listen to the CD yet. How does it sound?
Really good. Nice and open for me with lots of space. Through headphones it's amazing. Can feel every instrument.