Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519327 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1575 on: February 03, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
Anyone else love the way James sings the word "rags" in Act of Faythe?

Raahhhygs

"the way you looked at her-uhhh-er" haha
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1576 on: February 03, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
I wonder if the Nomac tracks will be the pre-recorded versions from the album as interludes between songs, or if Jordan will play them live from his key pads..  It would be cool to see the Nomacs extended versions for the show..
I would be shocked if they weren't pre-recorded interludes.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #1577 on: February 03, 2016, 11:33:14 AM »
I put this album on during lunch today. The entire cafeteria, save for a couple of people, hated it.  :metal

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1578 on: February 03, 2016, 11:37:05 AM »
I put this album on during lunch today. The entire cafeteria, save for a couple of people, hated it.  :metal

What do they usually listen to?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1579 on: February 03, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »

:lol

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: February 03, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »

They prefer the earlier DT albums?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1581 on: February 03, 2016, 11:42:56 AM »
I have no idea if the reviews seem overly negative because I have not read any but my concern is that IF the majority of fans
end not liking this it could be the end of JP taking the risk(s) that many of us have wished for years. He has always been a little
hesitant to veer from the core DT sound. Then again he seems pretty strong willed and they are on the back nine of their career
so he might feel comfortable doing whatever he wants until retirement. I love the risks they took and I hope he takes it even
further next time!

Agreed on all counts.

For a guy who's been leading a band like this for this many years to come out at this stage in his career with something like this takes huge balls.  And to put an album like this together is a massive undertaking.

I haven't really posted any reviews, per se, because how can you truly grok something this big in only a few listens?  You can't.    On my 4th listen now and I am beginning to recognize more and more of the themes that recur throughout.   There are some truly beautiful melodies in here and the piano is just incredible, imho.  Rudess is peerless.  And his stamp is all over this thing.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1582 on: February 03, 2016, 11:55:20 AM »
I keep reading about a disappointing scream.  What song is this on?  I listen to both CDs again and missed it.  Honestly I don;t pay attention to the story.  I just listen to the music.  I assume that it is near the end of CD 2 somewhere?

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #1583 on: February 03, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
"My Last Farewell" I think.

edit: I don't think it's disappointing. I like it!  ;D

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #1584 on: February 03, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
The scream is at the end of My Last Farewell.

Edit: Ninja'ed

« Reply #1585 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
"My Last Farewell" I think.

edit: I don't think it's disappointing. I like it!  ;D

Me too! And the thing is, it's supposed to be this horrible, blood curdling scream that makes the guy lose his voice, but James is gonna have to do this on stage every day! Hell, even a single take in the studio isn't something he should be forced to do "legitimately". We sure as hell don't want James losing his voice!

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1586 on: February 03, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I actually like that part.  Didn't know it was supposed to be blood curdling though. 

I was thinking maybe it was the part where he was screaming "You murderer!" that people were referring to (which I also like)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1587 on: February 03, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »
Something I realised just now on my 3rd full listen. Act of Faythe works exactly like an operatic aria. The action stops and we enter the thoughts of one of the characters (in this case Faythe). Until Three Days started, I'd briefly forgotten about the scenario and the action.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: February 03, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
Well, "you murderer!" and "your day will come" were actually more blood-curdling than Gabriel's scream on My Last Farewell. Then again, I was listening through my headphones so maybe I was protected and all that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:25:25 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1589 on: February 03, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
Well, "you murderer!" and "your day will come" were actually more blood-curling than Gabriel's scream on My Last Farewell. Then again, I was listening through my headphones so maybe I was protected and all that.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: February 03, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
Yeah, you and Faythe :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1591 on: February 03, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »
If they want to make a blood curdling scream live,  Jordan could perhaps use a patch on his rig to simulate one so James doesn't have to do it every night.   :o
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1592 on: February 03, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
I think this applies here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44345.0

I believe we've discussed how to properly introduce someone to DT.  These poor people will never be open to listening to DT again :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1593 on: February 03, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »
I think this applies here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44345.0

I believe we've discussed how to properly introduce someone to DT.  These poor people will never be open to listening to DT again :lol
NUGGETZ :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1594 on: February 03, 2016, 12:30:56 PM »
Slightly tongue in cheek comment: Can we make a petition for DT to retire the word "forevermore"? Ever since MP started using it, I can't unhear it whenever they use it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1595 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
The reception for this album hasn't been much different than the reception from previous albums - in fact, the prog community seems to more easily accept this than the several last few. The reviews are mixed, as expected (there's never been a case of DT reviews being extremely positive outside of maybe Images and Words and to some degree Scenes From A Memory), and the fan community is split AS ALWAYS HAPPENS. Even SFAM had its fair share of vocal minority people blasting the album for being "too much circus".

If you look at the places where it actually matters (here and progarchives), you'll see that the score is more akin to it being an instant classic than to it being a bomb.

Offline thosava

« Reply #1596 on: February 03, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that a mandolin was used somehwere in the album. Could someone point out where it's used?
Hymn of a Thousand Voices maybe? 2:13-2:17. Sounds like a mandolin to me.

It starts at 56 seconds in and carries through the entire verse in the left channel, drops out for the chorus and comes back in at 1:40.

Thanks alot! I heard that sound in the left channel before, but i didn't know that was a mandolin. I wished it was louder, it's barely audible, the violin is very nice but i would like to really make out what the mandolin was playing as well. It just sounds like fast strumming  :P

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1597 on: February 03, 2016, 12:41:59 PM »

NUGGETZ :P
Yup. Nice catch! :rollin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1598 on: February 03, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »
The reception for this album hasn't been much different than the reception from previous albums - in fact, the prog community seems to more easily accept this than the several last few. The reviews are mixed, as expected (there's never been a case of DT reviews being extremely positive outside of maybe Images and Words and to some degree Scenes From A Memory), and the fan community is split AS ALWAYS HAPPENS. Even SFAM had its fair share of vocal minority people blasting the album for being "too much circus".

If you look at the places where it actually matters (here and progarchives), you'll see that the score is more akin to it being an instant classic than to it being a bomb.

This place is the absolute worst in the first weeks for judging the quality of a DT album. Even albums like DT12 that later settled on " middle of the road in their discography " were heralded like Jesus' second coming.

« Reply #1599 on: February 03, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »
Slightly tongue in cheek comment: Can we make a petition for DT to retire the word "forevermore"? Ever since MP started using it, I can't unhear it whenever they use it.
Are you saying their lyrics should forevermore exclude that word?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1600 on: February 03, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
Well, "you murderer!" and "your day will come" were actually more blood-curling than Gabriel's scream on My Last Farewell. Then again, I was listening through my headphones so maybe I was protected and all that.

:rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline thosava

« Reply #1601 on: February 03, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »

This place is the absolute worst in the first weeks for judging the quality of a DT album. Even albums like DT12 that later settled on " middle of the road in their discography " were heralded like Jesus' second coming.

I would say that's as expected. This is a forum dedicated to the band, and they are many of the members favourite band. It's exciting to get new music, and with a band like DT you know it's going to be quality music. The problem is the test of time. Most albums by most bands don't stand the test of time like their classics. And very few bands are able to be on their top as long as DT have been. And some very few have been able to almost disappear but come back with a bang, like Iron Maiden. (and now maybe DT, if one can say that they ever were "gone").

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1602 on: February 03, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
Ow.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1603 on: February 03, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »

I'm looking t'wards the future when they don't use it anymore.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1604 on: February 03, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »
I think they had to use that word.  You know, because ravens and stuff.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: February 03, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
And MP rapping at the chamber door.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1606 on: February 03, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »
I agree that it would be interesting to hear MP's playing on this album but will say again that, if Portnoy was still in control of this band, we would not have this album for him to play on.  No way does he let JP/JR go off on their own and do this and no way would he abandon his attempts to gain metal credibility for DT by going in the totally opposite direction and making a musical theatre album.  I would not say that Mangini had no input into this either, I am assuming that he has written his own drum parts.

In a totally separate issue, I can't believe so many are writing off the title track as either being unnecessary or being a bit of a damp squib which does not end the thing in an epic way.  I think it is a totally epic ending (although not in their usual extended soloing kind of a way) and love the last song.  In particular (and I know this is weird!) I like the way James sings the word "change" in Fayth's part.  It's weird how little things sometimes stick with me like that, it's just different to what I was expecting when I heard him sing that line and I like it.

Totally agree. So I'm not the only one who noticed "change"! :lol

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #1607 on: February 03, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
Thanks alot! I heard that sound in the left channel before, but i didn't know that was a mandolin. I wished it was louder, it's barely audible, the violin is very nice but i would like to really make out what the mandolin was playing as well. It just sounds like fast strumming  :P
Well, most of what it's providing is texture, as mandolins are often utilized as much for percussive strumming as for the melodic notes.  It's doing a nice little triplet-feel jangle, and though it's tricky to make out the notes, I think the hard pan separates it out nicely in the mix. :)
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline thosava

« Reply #1608 on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
Yeah i listened to it with my best headphones right now and i could make it out nicely. I'm not familiar with how mandolin usually sound, but i know i'll listen to that every time that song plays from now on :tup

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1609 on: February 03, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »
Oh god the bagpipe moment in The X Aspect is absolutely thrilling... it really shows how Arhys comes to such a dark place after the offer...
Because Mike is better than Mike