Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519878 times)

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1470 on: February 02, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
This album has a bitter/sweet feel for me. I Love it the whole way through and gets better with each listen.  My wife (who's name is Victoria) passed away last summer, she loved DT's softer side and was a huge fan of James Labrie. Everytime I listen to TA, I know how much she would have been enjoying listening to this. Probably more so than any other album. Her fav song was Beneath The Surface.. This album is loaded with songs with feel and emotion and JLB shines! I personally dedicate this to her...
Sorry to hear that. Be brave my brother  :'(

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1471 on: February 02, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
I just re upload it here https://vimeo.com/153834854  :lol
Pringka this is better than anything we officially got so far, certinly better than the trailer they gave us, great work dude  :tup
Thankyou man  ;D
But I still hope second video from astonishing website page is a great animation video, I always hope it will be Dystopian Overture Video Clip  ;D

You will find out what it is soon...

Do you know something we don't Bosky?

Of course.  That should be clear.  I know exactly what the video is, and I know it is scheduled to be posted very soon.  On the original schedule, it was supposed to have already been released.  But, again, marketing schedules are typically fluid and subject to change, and things have been moved around a bit for various reasons.  The other video is going to be pretty cool.  Nothing earth-shattering.  But I am confident most people will really enjoy it.

woaah, I cant wait it anymore. Hope it will be great & cool video !!  :tup

but, what about NOMACS eyes? is that eyes was supposed to like that? or something is gonna happen in upcoming update??  :huh: :huh: :huh:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1472 on: February 02, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »
This album has a bitter/sweet feel for me. I Love it the whole way through and gets better with each listen.  My wife (who's name is Victoria) passed away last summer, she loved DT's softer side and was a huge fan of James Labrie. Everytime I listen to TA, I know how much she would have been enjoying listening to this. Probably more so than any other album. Her fav song was Beneath The Surface.. This album is loaded with songs with feel and emotion and JLB shines! I personally dedicate this to her...

Wow man, sorry to hear that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #1473 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:23 PM »
Aw man, that's such a touching sentiment. My heart breaks for ya. "Beneath the Surface"... she had impeccable taste. I hope an album about the connective power of music can bring you some comfort. :) 
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1474 on: February 02, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »

I'm so glad you have these great memories of your love of your life and you shared it with us.  Thank you for sharing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1475 on: February 02, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
Wow, Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think this album will help in some way. The power of music!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1476 on: February 02, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »
Wow, Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think this album will help in some way. The power of music!
Sorry for your loss
If you get a chance check out a symphonic tribute to DT.
Beneath the surface is one of the songs.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: February 02, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
I'm sorry for you loss man, I dedicate my next spin of The Astonishing to the memory of the late Mrs. Architeuthis!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: February 02, 2016, 05:26:20 PM »
The Gift of Music Video premiere is tomorrow, according to DT facebook

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1479 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »

I am seeing very little chatter about Dystopian Overture, probably them doing another overture isn't as chatter-worthy as much of what they did elsewhere on this record, but the middle section where the orchestra plays one of the main themes followed by the full band coming back in with the choir singing is freaking AWESOME. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I know it is easy to get lost in all that has been posted, but I raved about it a week or so before release saying that, IMO, it could very well be the best overture they have done and is up there among the best pure instrumental songs. 

Ah. :lol

I am not sure I can say it is one of their best instrumentals, especially since it's hard to top Erotomania or Overture 1928, but it's another great one in their long line of them.  :metal

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1480 on: February 02, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
The Gift of Music Video premiere is tomorrow, according to DT facebook

Just saw this on Facebook.  Assuming this will be what fills that 2nd video slot on the /TheAstonishing page.

:metal :metal :metal
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1481 on: February 02, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Just realized what an amazing one-two punch "Heaven's Cove" and "Begin Again" are. Late to the party as always...
Agreed. That last section of "Begin Again" rules. Jordan killing it, as it the usual on this album.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1482 on: February 02, 2016, 06:11:22 PM »
Just saw The Gift of Music official video post. Hell yeah, can't wait to see what it'll contain.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cream theater

« Reply #1483 on: February 02, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »
A little disappointed, thought the video would have been a different single!  Oh well I'll take anything lol.

BTW listen to the NOMAC's track on a system with a sub, talk about impact! wow it's going to sound great at the concert.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1484 on: February 02, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
There is a user on the subreddit for Dream Theater that prefers WDADU to The Astonishing and is serious about it.

I honestly don't know how to react to that.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1485 on: February 02, 2016, 06:45:38 PM »
There is a user on the subreddit for Dream Theater that prefers WDADU to The Astonishing and is serious about it.

I've seen people say TA is their worst album. Not really sure how to react to that either.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1486 on: February 02, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »
I understand everyone has their opinion, but WDADU has so many issues with it that makes it inferior to all other DT albums in every objective way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1487 on: February 02, 2016, 07:03:32 PM »
TA is a very polarizing album, I am not surprised that you would find a person who thinks that. I mean, RYM gives TA a 2.82 rating, the lowest of DT's discography. While one can certainly dismiss most of those votes as knee-jerk reactions by one-time listens, it still leaves quite a few people who really do not like this album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1488 on: February 02, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
While I don't like everything about the album, I think the high points are among DTs highest since 6 Degrees. I really enjoyed the more theatrical sections and really have give props to JR for shining so brightly on this album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #1489 on: February 02, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
This album is supposed to be filled with Seaboard. Did anyone managed to catch when its being used?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1490 on: February 02, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »
TA is a very polarizing album, I am not surprised that you would find a person who thinks that. I mean, RYM gives TA a 2.82 rating, the lowest of DT's discography. While one can certainly dismiss most of those votes as knee-jerk reactions by one-time listens, it still leaves quite a few people who really do not like this album.

I think this will reverse the recent trend...I actually think time will be kind to TA as people accept it for what is is, rather than get pissed about what it isn't....the opposite of BC&SL and some other recent work, which was immediately well-received, but didn't hold up well beyond the first few months.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #1491 on: February 02, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »
love the intro "A Life Left Behind" , kinda like a Dixie Dregs vibe

the entire concept is very enjoyable to listen to, another favorite is "Act Of Faythe" , guess i'm getting more mellow too

no complaints here, well done DT  ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: February 02, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
A Better Life is currently my favorite, it's kinda sad to listen to though knowing what would become of Arhys and the revolution he dreamt about.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1493 on: February 02, 2016, 07:41:24 PM »

I think this will reverse the recent trend...I actually think time will be kind to TA as people accept it for what is is, rather than get pissed about what it isn't....the opposite of BC&SL and some other recent work, which was immediately well-received, but didn't hold up well beyond the first few months.

I think many people would only appreciate this when it gets staged as a theatrical production. Then they will understand why the music is written that way.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1494 on: February 02, 2016, 07:55:53 PM »

I think many people would only appreciate this when it gets staged as a theatrical production. Then they will understand why the music is written that way.

Could be.  I guess it makes sense to me as I was in a lot of pit orchestras in college, but certainly not everyone is coming in with that sensibility.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1495 on: February 02, 2016, 08:00:40 PM »
This album is supposed to be filled with Seaboard. Did anyone managed to catch when its being used?
My guess would be the solos on A Tempting Offer and A New Beginning. If not both, at least one of those is, because JR made a video of that sort of sound and said he was recording seaboard lead for the new album. Neither of those tones are ones he has used before anywhere else.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1496 on: February 02, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »

Could be.  I guess it makes sense to me as I was in a lot of pit orchestras in college, but certainly not everyone is coming in with that sensibility.

The last couple of years, I have been watching two new rock musicals (in Filipino, though) every year. I guess it's what sensitized me to what the album was doing. I can understand the shorter songs. I once listened to a song in a musical that is almost ten minutes long and what a tiring experience it was.  :lol

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1497 on: February 02, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »

I might agree with that...

I understand everyone has their opinion, but WDADU has so many issues with it that makes it inferior to all other DT albums in every objective way.

And I could probably argue for WDADU being compositionally superior to TA in an objective way. I'm not sure I'd want to get that detailed in this debate, because it would take a lot of writing, and I really do love the new album. However, I do believe that the certain characteristics I find better about WDADU could be defined objectively.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1498 on: February 02, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing. I truly believe music can comfort us. I hope you can continue to find comfort in this and many other things.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1499 on: February 02, 2016, 10:12:15 PM »
And I could probably argue for WDADU being compositionally superior to TA in an objective way. I'm not sure I'd want to get that detailed in this debate, because it would take a lot of writing, and I really do love the new album. However, I do believe that the certain characteristics I find better about WDADU could be defined objectively.

You can't prove "compositional superiority" objectively. At some point, you're still assigning subjective criteria to it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1500 on: February 02, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »

I might agree with that...

How could you even compare the composition of both when WDADU was composed as a set of individual songs, while The Astonishing was composed as a whole. Any composition decisions for The Astonishing was made to serve what a particular point in the narrative needs. To even claim that you can compare these two different animals from a composition standpoint really stretches credibility.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1501 on: February 02, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
I'm generally a fan of this guy, but he just doesn't get prog rock/metal it seems... He's almost always bashing prog when he reviews it, but to call The Astonishing "All proficiency, no soul" is just wrong.
https://youtu.be/BFK3H5Tl_Lo?t=3m3s

Anthony Fantano's opinion on this album doesn't surprise me at all, nor should it surprise anyone who's been following his reviews for any decent amount of time.

His comment about "all proficiency and no soul" is very questionable though. I'd consider calling the whole "proficiency" comment objectively incorrect, since this is perhaps the most stripped back we've seen DT in terms of composition and musical complexity. And "no soul" is something that's hard to argue against since it's not like it's something you can measure and comes to different folks in different strokes. It's what I'd call a hollow, safe criticism.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1502 on: February 02, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »

You can't prove "compositional superiority" objectively. At some point, you're still assigning subjective criteria to it.

If not compositional superiority, is there some other superiority that can be defined objectively? The post I was responding to suggests there is.

And "Compositional Superiority" sounds like a great class to take at the University of Prog Rock  :lol

How could you even compare the composition of both when WDADU was composed as a set of individual songs, while The Astonishing was composed as a whole. Any composition decisions for The Astonishing was made to serve what a particular point in the narrative needs. To even claim that you can compare these two different animals from a composition standpoint really stretches credibility.

Long story short, you could compare each album's success at accomplishing its respective artistic goals. And then which of the artistic goals accomplishes a stronger effect on a listener. It would be debatable, of course, but I think that would be the discussion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1503 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »

If not compositional superiority, is there some other superiority that can be defined objectively? The post I was responding to suggests there is.

And "Compositional Superiority" sounds like a great class to take at the University of Prog Rock  :lol

As unapproachably bad as I think WDADU is, I don't believe there is any concept of objectively better or worse in music. I could give a long list of reasons I think a song/album is good or bad, but the qualities I value as defining it as good and bad it on are ultimately going to be subjective.

And :lol for the university of prog rock.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1504 on: February 02, 2016, 10:43:08 PM »
The Outro to Begin Again reminds me of the Mother series, specifically Earthbound. I'd rather them have extended that last part instead of the ending to A New Beginning which I felt went on a tad too long.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD